Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else work nights during pregnancy?

• 02-09-2013 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I'm 4 months pregnant and I've switched from days to nights at work. I know that legally pregnant women don't have to work nights but tbh, in my job, the day shift is very physically demanding and stressful. I had my pregnancy risk assessment and the nurse agreed that the night shift would be way more suitable for me. She said that most women in the company opted for nights during pregnancy and as long as I was sleeping and feeling ok, it should be fine.

It's going great so far, I'm eating healthily, getting at least 8 hours sleep and going for a 30 minute walk during the day. The work on nights us very handy and I can sit/stand/walk around as much as I like. I can also take a few naps during the night if I wish. I feel a lot less sore and exhausted by the end of the shift than I would if I were on days. However, I'm worried that I still might be harming my baby. I've read some studies that suggest that night work increases the risk of late miscarriage and preterm labour, although this can be attributed to night work being very physically demanding and stressful in most jobs. It's the opposite in my case. Have any of ye worked nights while pregnant and if so, have ye encountered any problems? Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Quadruple post sorry mods I've been having terrible problems with boards touch site all day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My job is similar to yours in that the days are more physically demanding, but my risk assessment immediately said I was to come off nights - the staff:patient ratio is lower on nights so the risk to staff is higher. I have to say I was delighted to be off nights, I found them very tiring in early pregnancy. Several years ago, before health & safety was as strict, several of the staff in my job worked nights while pregnant and I don't recall them encountering any problems. I guess be guided by how you feel and what your doctors say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I worked a mixture of days and nights throughout my pregnancy. I found the nights a lot less stressful then day shifts.

If your happy doing the nights keep doing them you can always review the situation with your employer at a later date if its not working for you

Advertisement