Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dublin
    Congrats to dublin but didnt deserve to win! :( Mayo were the better team in the first half. Fairly low score and poor performance for second half by both teams for an all ireland. Kerry and dub semi final was more exciting!
    Hon mayo and kerry! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Draw
    my friend wrote: »
    Only team that gave Dublin any run this year were Meath

Absolute rubbish Kerry led them with 3 minutes to go until McMenamin got a freak goal, Kerry and Dublin was the best game in years and best since Kerry V Galway of 2008. Dublin have won an All-Ireland and will dominate until Kerry rises to the challenge to stop them again and from what we seen this year this Dublin team is not as good or as excellent an many make out and expect them to exit early next year especially if they meet Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Draw
    The biological clock?
    doovdela wrote: »
    ^ im lost

I think he means that a klaxon goes off in Croke Park during the ladies matches dead on the time and that it should be brought in to the mens too. If its not that, I'm lost too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Stinicker wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish Kerry led them with 3 minutes to go until McMenamin got a freak goal, Kerry and Dublin was the best game in years and best since Kerry V Galway of 2008. Dublin have won an All-Ireland and will dominate until Kerry rises to the challenge to stop them again and from what we seen this year this Dublin team is not as good or as excellent an many make out and expect them to exit early next year especially if they meet Kerry.

I didn't buy that hype, you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Why in the name of god did Cillian O'Connor kick that free over the bar.They had one last chance to get a goal to win the game and for some unknown reason he went for a point.I don't think Mayo are ever going to win an all Ireland they just dont seem to have enough composure to win in finals
    I nearly threw the tv out the window when I saw him tap it over. It's like he was resigned to defeat and figured a one point loss wasn't so bad. Unlikely he could have goaled it but have a go anyway ffs.

Dublin deserved winners, mayo don't have a brogan or a cooper and that was the big difference. They simply couldn't put the ball over the bar while Dublin scores came much easier. Well done to Dublin. Great young team that can now push on and dominate over the next number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Draw
    What an awful game. Neither team deserved to win in all honesty, and what was with that dope kicking the ball for a point when he needed a goal to win? Hilarious

I actually thought the game was brilliant. Both teams deserved to win, I'm glad the Dubs did though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Stinicker wrote: »

Thats a fairly young Dublin team, if anything they will improve next year.5 all Irelands in the decade for Dublin isn't out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Draw
    Hill 16 is now Dublin ONLY ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dublin
    Rasheed wrote: »
    I think he means that a klaxon goes off in Croke Park during the ladies matches dead on the time and that it should be brought in to the mens too. If its not that, I'm lost too!

oh i see what he meant!

Dublin only won by a point not much when it could have been a draw!!! silly goals and the wind both teams missed scoring chances.

They off to Coppers then! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Draw
    Man the anyone but dublin force is in full order. congrats dublin from donegal.

There are some gene pool gems on the Hill today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dublin
    repsol wrote: »
    Justice is done after all the obvious skulduggery that went on over the ticket allocations.

Care to elaborate? Or did you want them all for yourself?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm disgusted with O Connor. He just quit, No Mas. Did he not see what Meehan did earlier in the year? Go for the fúcking goal ferfuksake!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Perhaps Mayo should request to play the All ireland final before the rest of their championship games next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw
    Culchies resorting to slagging speeches and tracksuits! Eat your hearts out. The Dubs showed they can beat Kerry in the best match of the year and have now beaten Mayo in possibly the worst match. The 2 games were like chalk and cheese. Skill beat Kerry, physicality beat Mayo. Mayo will not reach the final next year. They must be sick after losing 2 in a row! Can we play Kerry in the final next year so we might see a decent game please?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Off to the bookies to collect my cash, was in earlier telling the guy behind the counter that i was backing Dublin because of the curse, he kinda laughed at me, who's laughing now asshole:D

Jim Gavin

A class act. Ice cold genius.

Well done Dublin.

Brogan stood up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

What a load of complete crap, worst game, was hoping for something better after the dub/kerry game. what a waste, glad i didn't have a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Draw
    Perhaps Mayo should request to play the All ireland final before the rest of their championship games next year :)

I fully expect Mayo to be back for the three in a row next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Get over it and maybe attempt to be a humble winner.

I am well over it as we have Sam and Mayo dont.

Humble me hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Draw
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm disgusted with O Connor. He just quit, No Mas. Did he not see what Meehan did earlier in the year? Go for the fúcking goal ferfuksake!!!:mad::mad::mad:

He had no balls. 74min and two points down. They didnt deserve to win when O Connor opted for a point. It was goal or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

repsol wrote: »
    Culchies resorting to slagging speeches and tracksuits! Eat your hearts out. The Dubs showed they can beat Kerry in the best match of the year and have now beaten Mayo in possibly the worst match. The 2 games were like chalk and cheese. Skill beat Kerry, physicality beat Mayo. Mayo will not reach the final next year. They must be sick after losing 2 in a row! Can we play Kerry in the final next year so we might see a decent game please?

There's the small matter of having to get there first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Draw
    STB wrote: »
    I fully expect Mayo to be back for the three in a row next year.

I'd hate to be those 3 lads still alive, worrying about the curse:eek:

Get over it and maybe attempt to be a humble winner.

Ireland and its people has prospered in our sense of oneupmanship over generations. Oneupmanship and begrudgery helps us get out of bed in the morning and rise to the challenge of a brand new day. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

To beat that Dublin team, Mayo really needed a top performance and to be at their best.
    Big players for them like Dillon, Freeman, and even OConnor didn't really perform.

None of the subs made much impact either.

Dublin deserved winners and I think they are the best team in the country.
    A shame to see all the cynical fouling at the end but that's football for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Harte would probably be shot if Tyrone closed out an all-ireland like that.

You don't win an Ireland by simply showing up today.

Big C wrote: »
    What a load of complete crap, worst game, was hoping for something better after the dub/kerry game. what a waste, glad i didn't have a ticket

You didnt really deserve a ticket in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

A shame to see all the cynical fouling at the end but that's football for ya

No its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dublin
    I'm seriously cut up here. Another loss in a final. Margin was only 1 point in the end but that doesn't speak to how far ahead Dublin were. Flattering for Mayo in fact.

Unrecognisable Mayo and they spent much of the 2nd half running down blind alleys.

Anyway, enjoy the celebrations to all the decent Dublin fans, of which there are many. Sadly there is quite a few others on here who are doing a disservice to the majority.

I'm in pieces here.

• Advertisement

I actually thought the game was brilliant. Both teams deserved to win, I'm glad the Dubs did though.:D

what game were u watching, cos what i saw was pure muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Dublin
    I thought Dublin got away with a lot of borderline dirty tackles in the last 20 minutes in particular. McQuillan did not have a good game and Mayo fans can feel slightly aggrieved. In saying that, Mayo's forwards were comically bad in the 2nd half, no outball for the half backs and midfield. They should have been far more ahead at half time. As well as that, what on earth was O' Connor doing at the end? 2 points down, time up (you can see the clock on the screen) and he goes for a point. Why not shoot ala Meehan, or even try work a penalty or goal scoring opportunity? He completely bottled it.

Overall Dublin the better team, heroic performance from Mayo's backlines saved them a far bigger margin. I honestly think this curse must exist, it was Mayo's worst performance of the championship and they saved it for the biggest day of all. It's going to be hard to shake the bottlers tag after this.

Well done Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Amprodude wrote: »
    He had no balls. 74min and two points down. They didnt deserve to win when O Connor opted for a point. It was goal or nothing.

Having balls doesn't explain it. Balls for what, exactly? He shouldn't have been allowed to do what he did. Surely the leader or leaders should have instructed him to go for goal What he did was off the wall. Simple: A goal is needed. Nothing else will suffice. Mayo man:What is difficult with this logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Draw
    well done dublin from a clare man dont know where this anti dubs crap comes from they were the best team all year deserved there win today and the shocking part that might confuse the "i'am sick of watching the same team win" brigade that's only dublin's 3rd all ireland in nearly 20 years.

sadly for mayo the hart of adian o shea and andy moran was'nt enough on its own,

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Brogan's barnet is a bit fancy dan for my liking.
    No GAA All-Ireland MOTM should be sporting the likes of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Draw
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    . McQuillan did not have a good game and Mayo fans can feel slightly aggrieved.
    He had a bad match against both teams to be fair. He was absolutely horrendous and neither side got any advantage from his decisions. He got a lot wrong and it evened out on both sides. However, the last 10 minutes cynical fouling by the dubs was ridicolous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Draw
    I'd hate to be those 3 lads still alive, worrying about the curse:eek:

haha thats always the first thing i always think of when i hear about it

You didnt really deserve a ticket in fairness

so only people with rose tinted glasses or blind people deserve a ticket

walshb wrote: »
    Having balls doesn't explain it. Balls for what, exactly? He shouldn't have been allowed to do what he did. Surely the leader or leaders should have instructed him to go for goal What he did was off the wall. Simple: A goal is needed. Nothing else will suffice. Mayo man:What is difficult with this logic?

It was an inexplicable decision: unless they'd asked the ref and had been told there'd be a bit of time left to play after the kick-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

probably one of the worst finals in a while, there was a hell of a lot of mistakes by both teams but its all about the result. dublin deserve to be all ireland champions after their performances all year, but i really hope i dont hear them moaning about tyrone pulling and dragging to close out games next year after the end of that game. honestly i can understand why they done it and wed all want our team doing it in that position but some of the piousness from some of their fans during the year is hypocritical in that light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Gutted for Mayo. Absolutely sickened. Forwards didn't turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Dublin
    Congrats to Dublin from New Hampshire (formerly Clare).

Great win and thoroughly deserved.

Lots of childish comments in this thread today which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd say OConnor felt that if Mayo won clean ball from the kick out the ref would have allowed one more play.
    Similar to the hurling final.

Probably thought that was a better chance than driving it at the goal, there must have been about 10 dubs in the way

No sure it's a question if lacking balls, though I wonder did Horan give any instruction on it

stretchdoe wrote: »
    It was an inexplicable decision: unless they'd asked the ref and had been told there'd be a bit of time left to play after the kick-out.

That to me is the only excuse. IF the ref told them that there was a minute or so left. I don't believe that was the case. I think the guy did a quit job, and if so he should never play for Mayo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Hard to see Mayo winning an AI in the foreseeable future. This year seemed to be set up perfectly for them - big players were performing well, they were racking up big scores and were full of confidence. But when it comes to the final they revert to type and bottle it, when the game is in the balance they can't finish it off. I still can't fathom what O'Connor was thinking with that free.

It was far from a vintage year in football and even Dublin weren't as impressive as they can be. It was there for Mayo to take. Next year will be tougher again so it's hard to see Mayo doing any better. No doubt they'll dish out a couple of hammerings in Connacht and we'll hear about how they've improved, but I'm don't see it being any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw
    Care to elaborate? Or did you want them all for yourself?:D

No, we just wanted our fair share. We have the largest following throughout the year at matches, the largest population, more club players than Mayo etc. Obviously there were a lot more Mayo fans at Croker today than would be expected. I know several former players and club managers and the tickets this year were more scarce than ever. Even the current players allocation which is usually 10 free and the option to buy a further 10 was reduced to just 10 free this year.I think the amount of tickets (apart from sponsors tickets etc) sent to non participating counties should be slashed. Should be 70% to split between senior finalists pro rata based on average gates for the year, 20% to the minor finalists split 50/50 and 10% to other counties.

Some of the analyses here is way OTT in criticism of Mayo. There was a score in it. That was all. One score. All this bottling talk is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Dublin
    old stephen cluxton is getting a bit of abuse on twitter it seems

walshb wrote: »
    That to me is the only excuse. IF the ref told them that there was a minute or so left. I don't believe that was the case. I think the guy did a quit job, and if so he should never play for Mayo again.

Horan and some of his teammates should've been making it clear to him to go for it, unless they were told there was time left.
    He actually looked around to the sideline before kicking it.
    I got the impression he was told to knock it over.

Big C wrote: »
    so only people with rose tinted glasses or blind people deserve a ticket

You obviously don't like football much.Most people would love if to get a ticket to an all ireland final and couldnt give a fiddlers whether the game was good or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement