Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

repsol wrote: »
    Culchies resorting to slagging speeches and tracksuits! Eat your hearts out. The Dubs showed they can beat Kerry in the best match of the year and have now beaten Mayo in possibly the worst match. The 2 games were like chalk and cheese. Skill beat Kerry, physicality beat Mayo. Mayo will not reach the final next year. They must be sick after losing 2 in a row! Can we play Kerry in the final next year so we might see a decent game please?

Dubs beat an ailing Kerry side with too many players on the wrong side of 30, not the vintage team of the noughties and a fluke missed point that ended up in the net turned the game in their favour. I do think they are the best team in the country at the moment but not yet up to the standard of Kerry and Tyrone of a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The better team won. Dublin had more composure and players who stood up and were counted.
    The Mayo half back line excelled but were asked to do too much. The Mayo sideline must take a lot of responsibility. The wrong O'Shea was substituted. They failed to counteract the same kick out time after time. Too many players lacked courage and the forward line lacked leadership.
    The level of cynicism from Dublin in the last ten minutes made some of the Tyrone players look positively angelic.
    Well done Dublin, the best team in the country this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Draw
    old stephen cluxton is getting a bit of abuse on twitter it seems

The Anti-GAA faction no doubt.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

stretchdoe wrote: »
    Horan and some of his teammates should've been making it clear to him to go for it, unless they were told there was time left.
    He actually looked around to the sideline before kicking it.
    I got the impression he was told to knock it over.

If he was instructed to do it by a leader or manager then that is fine, for him. They should never manage or lead again;)

[-0-] wrote: »
    Congrats to Dublin from New Hampshire (formerly Clare).

Great win and thoroughly deserved.

Lots of childish comments in this thread today which is unfortunate.

Clare changed its name???.........................

...........;)

STB wrote: »

Or the anti Stephen Cluxton faction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Draw
    Big C wrote: »
    what game were u watching, cos what i saw was pure muck

Obviously what you saw and I saw were two different things, If Mayo had won you'd probably be giving it the "great game" speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Dublin

for not smiling enough this time, 100's of comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A well contested game.......and the better team won,according to all the GAA pundits on RTE.

Id say some of the players are wrecked tired from the heat of the day and the pace of the game.

Congratts to all involved in a great day of GAA and showcasing our national game to the worldwide audiences looking in.

A great day for Ireland on a world stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I'm sure he's upset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

shrewdness wrote: »
    No doubt they'll dish out a couple of hammerings in Connacht and we'll hear about how they've improved, but I'm don't see it being any different.

which kinda shows up the provincial system as a bit of a joke

walshb wrote: »

If your a w@nker in Ireland they hate ya
    If your nice humble down to earth person in Ireland they also hate ya

It's just a battle you cant win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Yes, they can't understand an Irish accent, numbly mumbly Glaswegians are their idols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Draw

What are they saying? I think Stephen is deadly. Unreal player, doesn't need to bask in the limelight, always gets the job done and seems to be gracious with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

If he was instructed to do it by a leader or manager then that is fine, for him. They should never manage or lead again;)

That was just the impression i got at the time: might be wrong.
    Maybe there was just a breakdown in communication.
    Maybe O'Connor just genuinely believed there was a bit of time left.
    Who knows?
    Doubt we'll ever find out though because i don't think anyone on the Mayo team will be in the mood to talk about it for a long time, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw

Either way he is too busy celebrating his 2nd winners medal to worry about a few saddos on twitter who wouldn't open their mouth to him face to face or they might get what Mcateer got.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Don't get why people dislike Cluxton, he's just a quiet, serious-minded guy, nothing wrong with it. Rather him that some show-off who isn't half as good.

which kinda shows up the provincial system as a bit of a joke

To be fair Mayo are one of the top teams in the country though. The last two years have solidified them as number 2 certainly but they just cant seem to reach that next level heartbreaking as it must be.

I do agree though that the whole provincial system while it should be kept in some form, progression shouldnt depend on winning a province.

Draw
    aveytare wrote: »
    Don't get why people dislike Cluxton, he's just a quiet, serious-minded guy, nothing wrong with it. Rather him that some show-off who isn't half as good.

He's easy on the eye too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Not sure what people were hoping for here. Finals in general are tense tight affairs where the nerves win over the quality. This was close on the scoreline at least and had me glued to the game throughout.

Dublin well deserved it in the end, hard luck on mayo, but they did not have the quality where it counted. Aidan oshea may as well be sitting beside me having a cup of tea because he was no where to be seen.

Well done dublin enjoy your night and endure your headaches tomorrow

aveytare wrote: »

Spoke to one or two trainee physios that have dealt with him in the past and they said he is a gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rasheed wrote: »
    He's easy on the eye too ;)

Seems to be the reason why the majority on girls I know support the dubs.

Cause their gorgeous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw
    To be fair Mayo are one of the top teams in the country though. The last two years have solidified them as number 2 certainly but they just cant seem to reach that next level heartbreaking as it must be.

I do agree though that the whole provincial system while it should be kept in some form, progression shouldnt depend on winning a province.

They were number 2 today. No arguments there! :D

Draw
    Seems to be the reason why the majority on girls I know support the dubs.

Cause their gorgeous

Some are, some aren't! Same with every inter county team, they all have their lookers!

repsol wrote: »
    They were number 2 today. No arguments there! :D

They just had no plan B and ran into brick walls. Never fought for each other or hunted in packs. Very very disappointing. I tore my own hair out for the amount of kickouts they were caught napping on.

• Advertisement

Progression doesn't depend on the provincials anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Dublin
    bcmf wrote: »
    I am well over it as we have Sam and Mayo dont.

Humble me hole.

Not too surprised that you missed my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

You obviously don't like football much.Most people sheep would love if to get a ticket to an all ireland final and couldnt give a fiddlers whether the game was good or not.

you really should get out more

Draw
    rpurfield wrote: »
    probably one of the worst finals in a while, there was a hell of a lot of mistakes by both teams but its all about the result. dublin deserve to be all ireland champions after their performances all year, but i really hope i dont hear them moaning about tyrone pulling and dragging to close out games next year after the end of that game. honestly i can understand why they done it and wed all want our team doing it in that position but some of the piousness from some of their fans during the year is hypocritical in that light.

I agree to an extent, but the game was close all the way through, which was a bit nail biting. It was never going to be like the previous one, a point every 6 mins or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I tore my own hair out for the amount of kickouts they were caught napping on.
    Me too. It was absolutely infuriating seeing Cluxton constantly being able to pick out a free man from after the 15th minute or so. The only times that Dublin have looked vulnerable this season were in the first half of the Leinster final and for large parts of the AI semi final. And the reason for that was that both Meath and Kerry pressed Cluxton's kickouts constantly. Mayo just stopped doing this which was completely criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Not too surprised that you missed my point.

Oh I got your point.
    But Humble works both ways.
    For example when I was I at the Semi final and the 'Mayo takes Hill 16' thing when Mayo won (and Dublin bottled it!) there was very little 'humbleness' shown by Mayo supporters then when they gave me the winker sign when there were kids around.

As I said humble works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin
    Have to feel for Mayo but Dublin were deserved winners. Mayo looked lost going forward in the second half.

Obviously what you saw and I saw were two different things, If Mayo had won you'd probably be giving it the "great game" speech.

nope, enjoyed the semi, I from dublin, I just enjoy a good game which todays defo was not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

nope, enjoyed the semi, I from dublin, I just enjoy a good game which todays defo was not

If you were a genuine fan from Dublin you'd enjoy the fact that they won regardless of the quality of the game.

Draw
    If you were a genuine fan from Dublin you'd enjoy the fact that they won regardless of the quality of the game.

I thought it was close, first and second half? I's not like they completely whipped their asses? It was a good game. Why do some people think it was muck?

Draw
    iDave wrote: »
    Have to feel for Mayo but Dublin were deserved winners. Mayo looked lost going forward in the second half.

Dublin always seem to have the energy at the end for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

The 1 point score line flattered Mayo IMO. Had the Dubs nicked one or two of those shots on goal earlier in the game it would have been lights out for Mayo before the first half was over and once they got their necks in front they were never going to look back. Although the fouls towards the end were awful, Dublin simply kept to the script and that about sums up their performance for me as in they never seemed to get out of second gear and the fact that they still won speaks volumes. Mayo just don't seem to have that killer instinct. This year, I think the right coloured ribbons adorn Sam.

no a real gaa fan enjoys the game not just the muck we saw today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Draw
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Congratts to all involved in a great day of GAA and showcasing our national game to the worldwide audiences looking in.

A great day for Ireland on a world stage.

It would be a lot more if the rte radio stream didnt break down, or shock horror they actually let expats outside of ireland watch it on rte player instead of whoring it out to setanta.

Off u go to the pub, the more you drink the better the game will appear to have been.

• Advertisement

no a real gaa fan enjoys the game not just the muck we saw today.

It wasn't beautiful, but it wasn't muck either. Anyway, many many great games don't have to be beautiful. It's all subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very poor game.. None of Dublin's young stars played well. The ever reliable Bernard Brogan dug it out for Dublin again.. But the amount of basic mistakes from both teams was shocking.. The occasion just seemed to completely get to both teams..

I was hoping Mayo would win, mostly for sentimental reasons, but they didnt do enough to deserve it in the end.. Like was said on the commentary, it is gonna be a huge struggle to try to get them up for it again next year...

The cynical fouling by Dublin spoiled things towards the end, and they could have very easily have had O'Gara or somebody else sent off, but overall they are probably the strongest team in the championship this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I thought it was close, first and second half? I's not like they completely whipped their asses? It was a good game. Why do some people think it was muck?

Having a go at Gaelic Football is a national past time due to the massive insecurity numerous people in this country have about being Irish.

Eamonn Sweeney in todays sindo summed up perfectly a lot of peoples attitude to Gaelic Football
    But Gaelic football is the people's game and perhaps that's precisely why it gets such a hard time from the naysayers and doom-mongers who believe that if Irish people like something there has to be something wrong with it. It's probably no coincidence that so much of the hand-wringing about football is creepily similar to all that 'we're the laughing stock of Europe' – 'if this happened anywhere else there'd be war' – 'we're not fit to govern ourselves' bull**** which turns up so often in newspaper letters' pages and comment sections.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/peoples-game-redeems-itself-29596665.html

If the game was tight and featured more structured defence people would have been moaning about blanket defences, the game today was very loose and had some mistakes which in part can be explained by nerves and the heat didnt help either.

I thought it was gripping contest played at a furious pace particularly in the first half.It may not have been the best game but All Ireland finals are rarely great games they always tend to be very tense with uncharacteristic errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

A close game doesn't necessarily mean a good quality game. It was a fairly poor game.
    the neutrals probably feel a little let down as we were expecting a cracker between two very attack minded teams, but the quality of play was quite poor in particular Mayo's second half performance which was just awful.
    The Dublin v Kerry semi final was like a different sport compared to today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Bananatop wrote: »
    Dublin - a great football team, in top form as always. It's a pity some of their fans don't show the same grace as the players do, some of the other threads in this and other forums are rotten to the core. Bad form, shows a complete lack of class.

Top form? We should have been down by 4/5 at half time. First half we didn't perform looked as it the players were drained from the heat.

A true Dublin fan would acknowledge that we got away with such a bad first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If you look at the Mayo forwards line, Freeman,O Connor, Dillon, McLaughlin and Conroy all failed to score from plan.
    ( although Freeman did score one point, that was then called back for a free)

That sort of return from the forwards won't win All Ireland's.

I wonder was Freeman injured or was he taken off by Horan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dublin
    Don't like to see the cynical fouling but shoe was on other foot last year.

Better team won. Mayo failed to kick on after great first 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Dublin
    Dublin played McQuillan very well.
    Always a different cyclical fouler for him to brandish the yellow card to, he wouldn't have had the bottle to reach for scred anyway, even to the ignorant pig of a player that is O'Gara.

Mayo's forwards had enough ball to do damage and didn't.

Ref was poor, Dublin were cynical and mayo werent clinical and made too many unforced errors.

End of.

The curse lives on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dublin
    Dublin played McQuillan very well.
    Always a bee cyclical fouler for him to brandish the yellow card to, he wouldn't have had the bottle to reach for scred anyway, even to the ignorant pig of a player that is O'Gara.

Mayo's forwards had enough ball to do damage and didn't.

Ref was poor, Dublin were cynical and mayo werent clinical and made too many unforced errors.

End of.

The curse lives on

Ref was poor, didn't help the game flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Draw
    dublin worthy winners without ever really getting out of first gear, very poor game and not a patch on the wonderful spectacle that was kerry and dublin a few weeks ago

Advertisement