Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Draw
    The more I think about it the more I think Mayo will blow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

corny wrote: »
    What gives me greater hope as a Dublin supporter is what happened last year in the semi final. I keep hearing Mayo won't wilt like Kerry did. Yet last year Dublin played football for 15 minutes and took them to the cleaners in the last quarter. They were out on their feet by the end. Have they improved? Maybe but arguably Dublin have greater legs this year too. I can see Dublin winning it in the last 10 minutes if its tight.

That is a good point, Mayo had a 10 pt lead and it was whittled down and they won by 3

But from a Mayo POV I hope they are better at holding on to leads v this yaer.

dats_right wrote: »
    3 out of the 4 All-Ireland semi-finalists were also National League semi-finalists and 6 of the 8 quarter finalists were Division 1 teams in 2013. The league form and results cannot be dismissed out of hand and are in my view usually a good indicator. That is not to say that because Dublin beat Mayo easily enough twice already this year that they will win but Dublin have been beaten only once in league or championship whereas Mayo have been beaten 5 times.

Some might say that's only the league and it doesn't count but Dublin have also faced tougher opposition reaching the All-Ireland Final than Mayo. In reality Dublin dominated Cork totally and if a few of their 6 or 7 good goal chances found the back of the net then the score line might have been similar to Mayo- Donegal. I do not want to take anything away from Mayo as they have been playing well all year and look like a very serious team with serious metal but the demolition of Donegal should not be over emphasised. Donegal were relegated in the league and have been on a serious downward trajectory ever since. I mean scraping through against a weak enough Down team and getting a roasting by no-hopers such as Monaghan showed that the Donegal team was finished. In fact I was hoping Dublin would draw either Cavan or Donegal in the Quarters as either was really just making up the numbers. You might say Donegal were All-Ireland champions and that is true but they were gone as a team this year and it had been clear from early on that they were a team in terminal decline.

Overall the final will be fascinating and it is very hard to call between two serious teams but both my heart and head say Dublin on the basis of their form to date this year, I hope they will have just a little too much in the tank for Mayo.

As I said, league form overall is a good indication of how a team are setup for the year but individual games are harder to use as a basis for predicting future meetings

As for the point about Dublin loosing only 1 game and Mayo loosing 5, I think there is more too it than that.
    As I have always been saying since the beginning of the year, I do not believe that Mayo were that interested in getting to the semis of the league, last year they were cos they did not play until June 24th, this season they had a game v Galway waiting on May 19th, so there was no need for the extra game time in 2013 that there was in 2012
    Div 1 status and new players/tactics where the goal

Dublin on the other hand were a team who wanted to win the league, build a bit of confidence in this new young squad, no better way to do it.

On the point of Dublin creating 6 or 7 good goal chances v Cork, it's all well and good but they only scored one, how many can they create v a much better defence like Mayo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think this one is impossible to call - both these teams are playing fantastic football - I quite simply can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    As I said, league form overall is a good indication of how a team are setup for the year but individual games are harder to use as a basis for predicting future meetings

As for the point about Dublin loosing only 1 game and Mayo loosing 5, I think there is more too it than that.
    As I have always been saying since the beginning of the year, I do not believe that Mayo were that interested in getting to the semis of the league, last year they were cos they did not play until June 24th, this season they had a game v Galway waiting on May 19th, so there was no need for the extra game time in 2013 that there was in 2012
    Div 1 status and new players/tactics where the goal

Dublin on the other hand were a team who wanted to win the league, build a bit of confidence in this new young squad, no better way to do it.

On the point of Dublin creating 6 or 7 good goal chances v Cork, it's all well and good but they only scored one, how many can they create v a much better defence like Mayo ?

Whereas I'd certainly agree that the 2 games will have little bearing on the final ..as you say they're a snapshot in time .. and I'm nearly certain Horan made a post match comment with regard to Dublin being further down the road .. I can't remember if it was after the 1st or 2nd game.

I think your take on their respective goals for 2013 league is a little simplistic .. Dublin wanted to win it... Mayo wanted to try new players/tactics. Bearing in mind it was the Dublin team who were under new management/were employing a fundamentally different strategy to their football and introduced a host of new young lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    The more I think about it the more I think Mayo will blow it.

Define blow it?

Not win when you think they should?
    Not turn up at all and get hammered?

Not having a pop just wondering? Something about this team I can't see them doing the latter anyway

The hunger they have is insane, incredible bounce back from last September's disappointment. Have beaten all round them easy in champ all year (yes, even Tyrone in the end) and will take some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw
    I'm going to say a Dublin win . The Semi final told me alot about that Dublin team . When a team concedes three first half goals you would nearly say it's a case of them being dead and buried . But yet Dublin where only 2 points behind . There seems to be a hunger and we aren't beaten attitude amongst the Dublin players which is something that was lacking last year .

Dublin
    Mickey Conroy ran riot in the first half last year iirc. Really hope he starts

Draw
    Gerry91 wrote: »
    Define blow it?

Not win when you think they should?
    Not turn up at all and get hammered?

Not having a pop just wondering? Something about this team I can't see them doing the latter anyway

The hunger they have is insane, incredible bounce back from last September's disappointment. Have beaten all round them easy in champ all year (yes, even Tyrone in the end) and will take some beating.

They will have the opportunities to win it but poor decision making, nerves and doubts will creep in and Dublin will push on to win. and wides too.

Just a feeling I get about Mayo. History proves they do also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dublin
    They will have the opportunities to win it but poor decision making, nerves and doubts will creep in and Dublin will push on to win. and wides too.

All those accusations have been thrown at Dublin in the recent past aswell, these are two different animals IMO though and history will have nothing to do with this match, the best team on the day will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dublin
    Stoner wrote: »
    In all fairness Donegal looked a shadow of the team Mayo played last year. They are the same players on both teams so Donegal are not that bad they were just not clicking this year.
    1) Donegal 2012 and Donegal 2013 were like chalk and cheese. The difference was for all to see in Ulster final when they lost to Monaghan side who were playing Div 3 football this autumn and they only managed 6 points in 70 minutes in that game. The passion,drive and desire to succeed from last year was long gone. Watch back that quarter final and try to tell me that Donegals defending wasn't U-16 stuff? and they certainly didn't win the All Ireland defending like that.

I've watched the game back a couple of times. Sure Donegal were poor and they didn't have the hunger or drive that carried them to lift Sam last year but the point is Mayo did have it. That's what was encouraging from a Mayo perspective. Also the fact that our midfield was dominant and the forwards were clinical. Donegal could have defended like an U-16 team but it doesn't change the fact that Mayo's shooting was near perfect - 1st half especially. Also, the fact we went for their throat in the second half with the early goals.

2) Mayo did put the games to bed early however the performances on the day from Roscommon,Galway also has to taken into account for example they gave a much better account of themselves against Cork and Tyrone.

There's more to it than just saying that Galway/Roscommon were poor on the day. I don't think they were allowed to play and were torn apart by a superior team. If you were to run them games again I'd be confident of Mayo doing something similar - put it that way.

3) Most of the top teams nowadays have good spread of scorers, Kerry aren't built on one player either however if Mayo had player like Cooper in their forward line i would fancy them instead of Dublin in this final.

We don't have a player like Cooper. Dublin don't have a player like Aiden O'Shea, Kerry don't have a bench like Dublin's. That's what makes this game interesting, both teams aren't perfect. Fair enough you're entitled to your opinion that Mayo lack a player like Gooch but I'm happy enough with what we have at the moment, far from perfect but I think there's a good balance there. The key is for Horan to get it right for the 22nd with the starting six and who he plans to spring from the bench.
    4) It's not so much motivation but those past results will focus Dublin more than ever. I'm sure both will be fired up for this one like you said it is All Ireland final.

Can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Whereas I'd certainly agree that the 2 games will have little bearing on the final ..as you say they're a snapshot in time .. and I'm nearly certain Horan made a post match comment with regard to Dublin being further down the road .. I can't remember if it was after the 1st or 2nd game.

I think your take on their respective goals for 2013 league is a little simplistic .. Dublin wanted to win it... Mayo wanted to try new players/tactics. Bearing in mind it was the Dublin team who were under new management/were employing a fundamentally different strategy to their football and introduced a host of new young lads

Yeah he definitely said they were further along with strength and condition. Used a trendy acronym if i remember correctly.;)

Dublin

If the game is there to be won I can't see this Mayo team being nervous.

I wouldn't read too much into the history either. We fought back last year after a nightmare start so there's hope for us I think.

Draw
    Yeah he definitely said they were further along with strength and condition. Used a trendy acronym if i remember correctly.;)

I'd say Donie Buckley thought it up :D

DoctaDee wrote: »

It has always been my opinion that getting to the league semis was not the primary goal for Mayo in 2013
    They fell arse backwards into it by virtue of the fact that beating Cork meant a semifinal and loosing to Cork meant relegation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Dublin
    Hoping for a Mayo win as most neutrals would be

Draw
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    If the game is there to be won I can't see this Mayo team being nervous.

I wouldn't read too much into the history either. We fought back last year after a nightmare start so there's hope for us I think.

But it was a bad start. A bad start that cost ye the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin

History is there to be changed.

Dublin
    It has always been my opinion that getting to the league semis was not the primary goal for Mayo in 2013
    They fell arse backwards into it by virtue of the fact that beating Cork meant a semifinal and loosing to Cork meant relegation
    Definitely agree that reaching the league semis was not on our agenda but neither was getting into a dogfight to survive in division 1.Heading down to Cork needing a win to survive relegation was not ideal,relegation from the top division has proven to be a disaster.Division 1 football is a must to compete for All Irelands.Suppose it makes the win down in Cork all the more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Rockfish wrote: »

Best post in here and i have decided to sit on the fence, a draw :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    Winning the league or at least being in the final is great value for season ticket holders

The Dublin games against Donegal and Tyrone were beneficial to Dublin, more so than games against westmeath in the Championship.

We also learned that AOS is too strong for brennan when he runs at him.

Dublin
    But it was a bad start. A bad start that cost ye the AI.

The point is previous Mayo teams would have collapsed and thrown in the towel. Last year we came back and at least made a game out of it. That's massive for a team, hopefully it will inspire them not to start a final like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Dublin
    What gives me greater hope as a Dublin supporter is what happened last year in the semi final. I keep hearing Mayo won't wilt like Kerry did. Yet last year Dublin played football for 15 minutes and took them to the cleaners in the last quarter. They were out on their feet by the end. Have they improved? Maybe but arguably Dublin have greater legs this year too. I can see Dublin winning it in the last 10 minutes if its tight.

For them last 15 mins last year Mayo racked up a load of injuries, one of those being Kevin McLoughlin.
    Those injuries had a major impact on Dublin coming back into that game I feel, especially the injury to McLoughlin who was brilliant at picking up breaking ball that day.

Either way it's going to be really tight.
    If I was a neutral I would go for Dublin but my heart says Mayo, more so than any other year...we have to win the bloody thing at some stage!

Draw
    slingerz wrote: »
    Hoping for a Mayo win as most neutrals would be

Thank Jaysis it's a football match and not a popularity contest ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Draw
    Think Kevin O'Brien will be replaced by Philly McMahon, who is a far tougher proposition that the youngster. I think if Dublin are still within 2 points at the 60 minute stage they will win it.

Dublin
    Think Kevin O'Brien will be replaced by Philly McMahon, who is a far tougher proposition that the youngster. I think if Dublin are still within 2 points at the 60 minute stage they will win it.

Anyone would do a better job. McMahon isn't the most natural corner back but is still an improvement

As a mayo man will be happy to see Cooper in the 15 too. Liability.

Draw
    Anyone would do a better job. McMahon isn't the most natural corner back but is still an improvement

As a mayo man will be happy to see Cooper in the 15 too. Liability.

I'd start Cooper on Conroy and see how it goes, I agree that KOB has been rocky but I have seen Cooper play some nice football this year, plus he can be worth a point or too I'd he's allowed to run up the field a bit.
    I'm a fan of Cooper I think he'll come on over the next 2 to 3 years, at least I hope he will.
    He takes a lot of belts in games particularly when he comes out with the ball.
    Conroy lamped him with a semi leg block in the league and kind of won the off the ball niggley stuff, but I think Conroy is a top three worry for Dublin and Cooper might have it in him to limit his contribution

Do you not think beating Mayo to win an All-Ireland title is motivation enough? I don't think there is a bigger motivation on the day.

But if every team was equally as motivated to win, every single game would be a gargantuan battle of titans that would not lie down until the final whistle is blown and they are all dead from fatigue

It does not happen that way, in a lot of cases one team shows more hunger than the other and that is sometimes the difference in the winning and loosing

From a motivation point of view would could possible look at each team in this way.

You could split the Dublin players into two camps
    The ones that have an All Ireland medal and the new guys who don't.
    If the game is getting away from Dublin do the guys who have the medals say 'feck it I already have a medal' or 'feck it I want to win another' and do the young guys say 'feck it there is always next year and to be honest the competition is not going to be great next year' or 'feck it I want to win this now'

From the Mayo side if the game is getting way a from them do they say 'feck it if we loose this what different are we from all the others who came before us, we will be fine' or 'I want to be a legend in my own lifetime and I will not leave here without that cup'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    But if every team was equally as motivated to win, every single game would be a gargantuan battle of titans that would not lie down until the final whistle is blown and they are all dead from fatigue

It does not happen that way, in a lot of cases one team shows more hunger than the other and that is sometimes the difference in the winning and loosing

From a motivation point of view would could possible look at each team in this way.

If the game is getting away from Dublin do the guys who have the medals say 'feck it I already have a medal' or 'feck it I want to win another' and do the young guys say 'feck it there is always next year and to be honest the competition is not going to be great next year' or 'feck it I want to win this now'

From the Mayo side if the game is getting way a from them do they say 'feck it if we loose this what different are we from all the others who came before us, we will be fine' or 'I want to be a legend in my own lifetime and I will not leave here without that cup'

Yea good points and I generally agree, but my point was I just don't agree that a team is more motivated against a certain team over another in an All-Ireland final. I think the prize on offer is the source of drive no matter who the opposition. Either way I think we're in for a great battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

When you get them 9's?

Were 11/1 in places before Galway match and went into 6/1 by the week after I think

Unless you got them before league perhaps or straight after Galway match?

26th may, matched at 10.04 on betfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Draw
    ssible look at each team in this way.

Eh, unless your name is Jim Gavin, no you really can't. :P

Last Sunday, it was the players who already have an All Ireland medal, who pulled the game out of the fire in the dying minutes of the game. I don't think any of them know the meaning of the words 'feck it, I already have a medal'

Draw
    If the game is getting away from Dublin do the guys who have the medals say 'feck it I already have a medal' or 'feck it I want to win another' and do the young guys say 'feck it there is always next year and to be honest the competition is not going to be great next year' or 'feck it I want to win this now

You could accuse the Dublin team of lacking hunger last year but not this year . I think the kick in the bum and some of the new blood in the team have sorted out the lack of hunger in the team .

Draw
    Gavin seems like cool customer too on the sideline.

Goes about his business in extremely professional way

Draw
    Gavin seems like cool customer too on the sideline.

Goes about his business in extremely professional way

I would have to agree with that he always looks so calm and composed . I would hate to be going into a loosing dressing room at half time though !!!

Draw
    You could accuse the Dublin team of lacking hunger last year but not this year . I think the kick in the bum and some of the new blood in the team have sorted out the lack of hunger in the team .

I agree. There is a lot of talk about teams who win Sam having a lack of hunger, and teams who have yet to do so, having it in spades. Sometimes I think that it is all just nothing but a big cliche. If the players themselves start buying into it too, it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, rather than something that they themselves were in control of in the first place.

Quite a few of the 2011 AI winners are on the wrong side of 30, or they will be next season. Time is not on their side, nor is the maurauding horde of baby Dubs that are crawling up their asses wanting their jerseys, and their own moments of glory in the sun. I think that a lot of the old guard don't want to go down in history as a bunch of one hit wonders who only won Sam once in nearly 10 years of trying. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't spur them on, just as much as the so called uber hunger that teams who have never won Sam are supposed to have in spades. I hope so anyway ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I agree. There is a lot of talk about teams who win Sam having a lack of hunger, and teams who have yet to do so, having it in spades. Sometimes I think that it is all just nothing but a big cliche. If the players themselves start buying into it too, it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, rather than something that they themselves were in control of in the first place.

Quite a few of the 2011 AI winners are on the wrong side of 30, or they will be next season. Time is not on their side, nor is the maurauding horde of baby Dubs that are crawling up their asses wanting their jerseys, and their own moments of glory in the sun. I think that a lot of the old guard don't want to go down in history as a bunch of one hit wonders who only won Sam once in nearly 10 years of trying. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't spur them on, just as much as the so called uber hunger that teams who have never won Sam are supposed to have in spades. I hope so anyway ! :D

Not of the current starting 15. Cluxton is over 30 and BB is 29.

Connolly, Flynn, MDM, Cian O' Sullivan, McManamon, Brennan are all under 28. The rest are babies.

Dublin had a really young side to begin with in 2011.

But I am not accusing them of lacking hunger

I am just point out what may be going through players heads at certain points of the game to illustrate that a normal human may at some stage decide that that is that, and they will not, or cannot, put in the 100% effort for any longer.

Draw
    But I am not accusing them of lacking hunger

I am just pointing out what may be going through players heads at certain points of the game to illustrate that a normal human may at some stage decide that that is that, and they will not, or cannot, put in the 100% effort for any longer.

I agree,

Simply put some guys with no all Ireland will want one more than guys with one, this wont be the case with all the players, but it might be the case with some.
    You could argue that Gavin took care of that by
    • Analyzing the size of the pool of players he used in the league
    • Considering the guys who retired , Quinn and Barry Cahill
    • Looking at the guys who won in 2011, are still playing but dropped, Fennel, Diaz etc.
    • Looking at how some established 2011 players remained in the team and how others had to work for their place back again, for example McCarthy walked back in to team, McMahon has to win his spot back, even though he seems to be better than the starting favorites

Draw
    Not of the current starting 15. Cluxton is over 30 and BB is 29.

Connolly, Flynn, MDM, Cian O' Sullivan, McManamon, Brennan are all under 28. The rest are babies.

Dublin had a really young side to begin with in 2011.

You know what, you're right. I didn't realize that. I guess because Alan Brogan and Clucko are/were so hugely important to us & they are on the wrong side of 30, I put too much emphasis on age.

Stoner wrote: »
    I agree,

• Looking at how some established 2011 players remained in the team and how others had to work for their place back again, for example McCarthy walked back in to team, McMahon has to win his spot back, even though he seems to be better than the starting favorites

We don't know that McCarthy walked back into his spot though, or that some of them had to work harder than others. Jamesy may just have done so exceptionally well in the first few training sessions after the BK club champo was over, that it was a no brainer to slot him back in. Phily may not have been so quick off the mark to get with the new system under Gavin. Then there are all the new guys that he is playing with for the first time. Not everyone can hit the ground running doing that, no matter how good an individual player they may be. I think that Gavin would have given every one the same chance, and that every one was expected to work just as hard as every one else. Some of them just did better than others at adapting to what Jim Gavin wanted out of them.

• Advertisement

Draw
    You know what, you're right. I didn't realize that. I guess because Alan Brogan and Clucko are/were so hugely important to us & they are on the wrong side of 30, I put too much emphasis on age.

We don't know that McCarthy walked back into his spot though, or that some of them had to work harder than others. Jamesy may just have done so exceptionally well in the first few training sessions after the BK club champo was over, that it was a no brainer to slot him back in. Phily may not have been so quick off the mark to get with the new system under Gavin. Then there are all the new guys that he is playing with for the first time. Not everyone can hit the ground running doing that, no matter how good an individual player they may be. I think that Gavin would have given every one the same chance, and that every one was expected to work just as hard as every one else. Some of them just did better than others at adapting to what Jim Gavin wanted out of them.
    Well Mccarthy came straight back into the team after the club final, but you are right I don't know the details, but I was giving the examples to show how a player either not motivated enough or one needing a little bit of a kick up the arse may have been filtered out or helped along, I assume McMahon not being guaranteed a starting spot has an effect on him.

TBH I think McMahon is the preferred option, but if he starts and gets a roasting then it's possible switching KOB from the bench is less effective than taking the risk of KOB up front by starting him, if it fails you bring on the better defender, but if it works great you have a guy playing well on the pitch and a good sub to bring on and freshen things up or do a job. Some guys read the game very well from the bench.
    I think a lot of the strong finishing from Dublin is down to conditioning but a lot is also about getting the measure of the opposition and shutting them down or finding openings .
    I think this team figure the opposition out a bit , weather the storm and kick on.
    I also think that Bastic is the preferred midfield option, maybe he can't last the whole game but he's on for a strong finish rather than helping to kick thinks off but fading and being subbed

Draw
    I'd have Bastic on from the get go, if his legs are up to it. I think the 2 O'Shea's will bring a level of physicality to the middle of the park that we'll need to counter with the biggest, baddest mofo that we can find. We know that MDMA fits the bill perfectly, I'm not sure Cian does, even though he had a smashing game last Sunday.

Mixed emotions about Phily starting. I love the physicality he brings to a really tough game, but he can be prone to giving away a lot of frees, if he gets too carried away. That could really cost us. If we have to yank him off, putting KOB on could be tricky especially if his confidence is a bit shaky from being taken off so soon in the Kerry game, and then losing his starting spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dublin
    I'd have Bastic on from the get go, if his legs are up to it. I think the 2 O'Se's will bring a level of physicality to the middle of the park that we'll need to counter with the biggest, baddest mofo that we can find. We know that MDMA fits the bill perfectly, I'm not sure Cian does, even though he had a smashing game last Sunday.

Mixed emotions about Phily starting. I love the physicality he brings to a really tough game, but he can be prone to giving away a lot of frees, if he gets too carried away. That could really cost us. If we have to yank him off, putting KOB on could be tricky especially if his confidence is a bit shaky from being taken off so soon in the Kerry game, and then losing his starting spot.

Dublin's midfield remains their most critical liability, even more so than a leaky FB line because that could be papered over with enough possession around the middle. Any combination of MDM/O'Sullivan/Bastick is inferior to the O'Sheas (and lads, just because Paudi's died let's not start re-christening the Breaffy boys O'Ses in his honour, all right?) and indeed Barry Moran in place of either of them too.

I expect Cluxton to opt for quick kick-outs to FBs and HBs wherever possible, much like Tyrone do in most every game they play. Trying to counter Mayo in the middle by doing anything but avoiding contesting high ball with them is a fools' game.

Dublin
    Syferus wrote: »
    Dublin's midfield remains their most critical liability, even more so than a leaky FB line because that could be papered over with enough possession around the middle. Any combination of MDM/O'Sullivan/Bastick is inferior to the O'Sheas (and lads, just because Paudi's died let's not start re-christening the Breaffy boys O'Ses in his honour, all right?) and indeed Barry Moran in place of either of them too.

I expect Cluxton to opt for quick kick-outs to FBs and HBs wherever possible, much like Tyrone do in most every game they play. Trying to counter Mayo in the middle by doing anything but avoiding contesting high ball with them is a fools' game.

I am sure James Horan will have studied the Kingdom's very effective efforts to prevent the Cluxton short kickouts and aim to do something similar bearing in mind they failed to do the same in the first half against Tyrone.Kerry offered a roadmap on how to reduce the undoubted importance of Cluxton's kickouts.
    Hope you're right re the perceived superiority of the o Shea's in the middle.MDM is a superb midfielder,not sure re the level of back up the less physically imposing o Sullivan will offer.Hoping there's a chance he'll start in the half backs with the less mobile Bastick starting.That would definitely be a favourable outcome for Mayo.
    Not sure where you're getting the idea that there's a huge clamour for an as not yet fully match fit Barry Moran to start,not hearing it here in Mayo.Seamie has earned his spot,offering vital mobility beside Aidan.Barry shall be a great bench option,after all he was unlucky to miss out on an all star last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Draw
    To be fair MDMC and his superb play on the ball when outnumbered 3 on 1 to set up McMennimans goal is the reason we're talking about a Dublin Mayo final here and not Mayo Kerry. He's been excellent in a number of games and while not as dominant as Aidan, he's a fair opponent and better than SOS.

Have to laugh at the league being completely downplayed. Someone says Dublin have never played against the excellent half backs Mayo have. When its pointed out that Boyle Vaughan and Keegan played in the league then it's dismissed as only league. These lads don't suddenly become bad players during the league and while it's obviously not as important as championship, its still our second competition and very relevant. Dublin have been the team of the year since the very get go, and its scary to think they've annihilated teams despite missing chance after chance in attack and are worthy favs, however slight. Mayo in turn have put up the best performance in Croker for quite a time and a reproduction of that would make a loss unthinkable. Going to be an amazing final between two footballing sides

Dublin
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    To be fair MDMC and his superb play on the ball when outnumbered 3 on 1 to set up McMennimans goal is the reason we're talking about a Dublin Mayo final here and not Mayo Kerry. He's been excellent in a number of games and while not as dominant as Aidan, he's a fair opponent and better than SOS.

Have to laugh at the league being completely downplayed. Someone says Dublin have never played against the excellent half backs Mayo have. When its pointed out that Boyle Vaughan and Keegan played in the league then it's dismissed as only league. These lads don't suddenly become bad players during the league and while it's obviously not as important as championship, its still our second competition and very relevant. Dublin have been the team of the year since the very get go, and its scary to think they've annihilated teams despite missing chance after chance in attack and are worthy favs, however slight. Mayo in turn have put up the best performance in Croker for quite a time and a reproduction of that would make a loss unthinkable. Going to be an amazing final between two footballing sides

Agree one hundred per cent.Personally can't rate MDMC highly enough,depending on the final outcome he could win footballer of the year.

• Advertisement

Dublin
    Where did I say I wanted Barry Moran to start, Seligeheit? The point was simply that any combination of Mayo's three main midfielders is a better unit than any two of Dublin's. Barry Moran would be starting for Dublin in a heartbeat.

On a different topic - MDM has his work cut out to win an All-Star, nevermind PotY.

Dublin
    Syferus wrote: »
    Where did I say I wanted Barry Moran to start, Seligeheit? The point was simply that any combination of Mayo's three main midfielders is a better unit than any two of Dublin's. Barry Moran would be starting for Dublin in a heartbeat.

On a different topic - MDM has his work cut out to win an All-Star, nevermind PotY.

Sorry Syferus if you misinterpreted my post,was'nt implying that you wished Barry to start but you seemed to believe that there was a clamour for him to start.I do believe any such clamour exists.In total agreement with you re Barry's ability and the possible superiority of our midfield but never the twain shall meet re your opinion on MDM.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Mayo%20GAA%20Logo.jpg19-Dublin.png

It's time to get a thread going for this game. I don't know about the rest of you but the 22nd can't come quick enough. It promises to a great occasion.

Ballintubber Abbey vs Mountjoy
    Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin vs Rosanna Davison
    Michael Davitt vs Wolfe Tone
    Croagh Patrick vs The Spire
    Charlie Haughey vs Bertie Ahern
    Fresh Country Air vs Smog
    Louis Walsh vs Luke Kelly
    Coppers vs Krystle

It's all on the line, winner takes all.

I've also added a poll so we can see who boards.ie thinks will prevail.

Surely it should be 'Some auld Barn' Vs Coppers &/or Krystle

Dublin
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Sorry Syferus if you misinterpreted my post,was'nt implying that you wished Barry to start but you seemed to believe that there was a clamour for him to start.I do believe any such clamour exists.In total agreement with you re Barry's ability and the possible superiority of our midfield but never the twain shall meet re your opinion on MDM.:)

He's played well but AOS and Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone are due an All-Star for making the semis so he's harder to remove than most) are ahead of MDM for an All-Star and SOS is about level and has as good a chance of one as MDM if he has a good final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Who do you think/hope will referee the final? When is this announced?

• Advertisement
Advertisement