Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Agreed about the hawkeye thing. In the old days if the ball went over the post, it was generally given as a point. I think with hawkeye, if it goes directly over the post, its flagged as a wide. Not sure if there is any rule around it. It's fairly accurate. But there's no point blaming hawkeye, Mayo had a dozen other good chances and fluffed them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Draw
    It wasn't wide on the graphic. Inside the red line but came up as a miss.

Like the last game when it happened in hurling I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Amprodude wrote: »
    Dont ever want to see Mayo in a final again. No heart and are bottlers to the highest degree. They didnt even look like they wanted it today. A total disgrace to their supporters.

Your spouting utter s*ite, do you really think they didn't want it. Ya sure its only an All Irl, the pinnacle of any GAA players career, the chance to bring Sam to Mayo or the 1st time in over half a century. Jesus wept but that's one stupid statement.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    God with that much incompetence in your manager it was amazing you got within 1 point of Dublin

To be honest, if Mayo played as they could and did against the likes of Donegal they would have beaten Dublin out the gate. I'm not big into what-ifs though. Any long standing Mayo supporter knows the story of Mayo looking like rabbits in headlights on AI final day. Part of it is down to the management, part of it is down to the players. I hate blaming people and always look for positive but there were few positives out there for Mayo today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Draw
    One other decision of note was in the 26th minute when MDMA forced a good save from Hennelly but the ball seemed to rebound off MDMA and go out but the umpire signalled for a 45 which cluxton converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Draw
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    Your spouting utter s*ite, do you really think they didn't want it. Ya sure its only an All Irl, the pinnacle of any GAA players career, the chance to bring Sam to Mayo or the 1st time in over half a century. Jesus wept but that's one stupid statement.

What happened in second half so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I am closing this thread temporarily while I hand out bans/infractions for alot of the posts on here this evening.

Draw
    realweirdo wrote: »
    To be honest, if Mayo played as they could and did against the likes of Donegal they would have beaten Dublin out the gate. I'm not big into what-ifs though. Any long standing Mayo supporter knows the story of Mayo looking like rabbits in headlights on AI final day. Part of it is down to the management, part of it is down to the players. I hate blaming people and always look for positive but there were few positives out there for Mayo today.

Think you overrate your players. Mayo don't have near as good a set of forwards compared to Dublin. Mayo depend on the half backs to defend and attack. Too much of the heavy lifting is expected from them in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Opening the thread again, a few bans/infractions handed out.

Folks, we can have a great discussion here, if you disagree with a post, attack the post not the poster, if you think a poster is trolling, report the post or ignore the poster (or both), if you decide to descend into a slagging match with someone else it will result in both of you being banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Why didn't O'Connor do this?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Why didn't O'Connor do this?

Not sure, but it was just one of many bad decisions which really annoy Mayo fans at this stage. People pay big money to support the team and at the very least they should be entitled to the team not making bad decision after bad decision.

Watching the game on TG4 now. Mayo suffered without a target man. It was a case of playing the ball low into the corner to Conroy and him not being able to do anything with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Draw
    FatherTed wrote: »
    Why didn't O'Connor do this....

While that might be a one in a million chance, I can't believe your man didn't even try it today. And it's not as if he took it quickly either. He had time to consider/ time to get advice and just go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mortimer would have won it for mayo today
    Should have been bench at least
    Dublin very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Dublin were ahead for 36 out of 40 mins of second half (level for 4) so had control and were odds on to win. The kick outs gave them a platform with the centre of midfield being crowded leaving space for cluxton to pick out runners runnng into the open spaces nearer he sidelines. Mayo werent able to adapt and it gave dublin some vital possesion and control. Mayo have an all ireland in them. A two in a row is very hard for dubs and mayo can take all bar and maybe including dublin i feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rasheed wrote: »
    While that might be a one in a million chance, I can't believe your man didn't even try it today. And it's not as if he took it quickly either. He had time to consider/ time to get advice and just go for it.

If ye would read the previous posts ye would find out that O'Connor had been told from the sideline that there would still be enough time for an equalising point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Agreed about the hawkeye thing. In the old days if the ball went over the post, it was generally given as a point. I think with hawkeye, if it goes directly over the post, its flagged as a wide. Not sure if there is any rule around it. It's fairly accurate. But there's no point blaming hawkeye, Mayo had a dozen other good chances and fluffed them all.

Rule is and always quite clear, over the post is not a score.

Re the game, Dublin were there for the taking. Mayo will be kicking themselves, but as someone said their forwards just haven't a player that can do it when they have to in a final. Look at the forwards today, OConnor and Andy(both hampered by recent serious injurys), Higgins(for all his brilliance is better as a defender), Dillon( who doesnt really do finals), McLoughlin (like Higgins primarily a defensive player better at coming up from the back), and Freeman and Conroy who at best are fringe players. Mayo relied on the likes of Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan etc to get big scores and they were busy enough with their own problems today. A lot of these lads have built a rep on running up big scores late in games against beaten opposition.
    Be a big test now for Mayo to come back for 3 in a row. I cant see it unless there is an injection of new forwards with a ruthless streak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not sure, but it was just one of many bad decisions which really annoy Mayo fans at this stage. People pay big money to support the team and at the very least they should be entitled to the team not making bad decision after bad decision.

Watching the game on TG4 now. Mayo suffered without a target man. It was a case of playing the ball low into the corner to Conroy and him not being able to do anything with it.

On this was it worth throwing Barry Moran or even Aiden O Shea in at 14 to try to mix it up, rather than pulling Seamus O off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Draw
    I thought ref was a joke, delighted Dublin won , took a hammering in first half and were still in it, played below par but still won. Great day. Maybe if mayo stopped all the social media bollix they might have won. Hey horan can ya hear the hill now!?

What's another year ?

On this was it worth throwing Barry Moran or even Aiden O Shea in at 14 to try to mix it up, rather than pulling Seamus O off!

When I heard Moran was being brought on I was sure it was to go in full forward where he has played a lot of times before. He's 6'5", there is no way he couldn't have caught a few balls in the last few minutes and laid at least one off. Instead Mayo were forced to try to handpass their way through a blanket Dublin defence or else shoot for points from terrible angles in the last few minutes and lost possession time and time again. SOS was doing well around the middle of the park and catching more than AOS. No point having two big midfielders and pumping the ball into the forwards when those forwards just got outmuscled. I think it was one of Horan's basic tactical errors which he routinely makes. Things weren't working, we needed a different approach but instead he stayed with the same approach, and guess what, things still didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Draw
    Jesus, get over it. Dublin won, end of. There are a lot of people out there just wanted to see dublin lose. We (donegal) got hate all year now it defaults to the "hate the dubs" attitude this country shows every year.

That's my point, Dublin played very well, until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

If o`connor looked up to his left, on the screen it said 70.

Can't believe that nobody on the coaching staff said need a goal.

Feel sorry for the lads, worked so hard for 2 years, and all I can say is the mgt need to take a lot of responsibility for today.

SOS man of the match for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin
    BENDYBINN wrote: »
    mortimer would have won it for mayo today
    Should have been bench at least
    Dublin very poor

Mortimer walked off the panel.
    He was no loss to them either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

If ye would read the previous posts ye would find out that O'Connor had been told from the sideline that there would still be enough time for an equalising point

I thought with 3 professional foul yellow cards in injury time the ref could have pushed it out to 6 minutes over time to allow for the time lost.

The ref was bizarre giving a lot of technical frees to mayo in the first half and ignoring some rather rough illegal chalenges on mayo players in the second.
    Maybe someone had a word in his ear at half time.

Fear of losing seemed to weigh on mayo too.....you just sensed that a dublin victory was inevitable early in the second half. That short point effort that would have brought mayo to within one was a kick of a team destined to lose. If that goes over, anything is possible, and that knowledge made the ball a little heavier for the kicker.

A lot of things went amiss for mayo today.
    I actually thought they were fitter for the CC and the quarter final. Kerrys peaking this year was impressiv, horan should look at it.
    Mayo supporters dont lose heart. The performance against donegal was the highest standard of any game this year. Theres a year left in these men yet. A win next year would be the sweetest of all wouldnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Agree that the ref could have added on a little more time, especially given all the technical fouls and yellows handed out.

I assume Brogan will get man of the match, although the Mayo goalie was very good and kept them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ethical

Dublin
    O'Connor should have gone for goal anyways,were Mayo afraid to win?If the goal had not happened perhaps a bad tackle or a bounce or something of the sort would have engineered a goalscoring chance.If not ,so what ,Mayo would have lost by 2 as opposed to losing by 1 point,same difference= a loss! There was a slight chance to win the All-Ireland and Mayo opted for the certainty of loosing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

O Connor and co clearly seen asking the ref something - Obviously about the time left. The 4 minutes is the MINIMUM time to be allocated.

Man of the match and player of the year HAS to be Stephen Cluxton. I don't think a lot of Dublin fans realise just how good he is - the greatest ever in the sport . He has transformed the position - his kickouts are far superior to anyone else in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin
    RTE feck things up again on The Sunday Game

What happened on Sunday game?

Why can't they analyse the game rather than just tell us what we just seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What happened on Sunday game?

Marty had a wardrobe malfunction.

Or maybe the highlights stopped after 68 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Draw
    God ohara is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

sargito wrote: »
    Mayo were so below par it was shocking. A great shame to see the fouls and general dirty play by the dubs. They have shown themselves over the past few years to be above the "Pillar" bull of the past , and are light years from the Whelan thuggery of the past. BUt Mayo left his one behind. Tha fact that the Dubs had to resort to puke football was sad though. Mayo have the better football team and I hope that they can go one better next year, this team deserves it.

Bitter aint the word for this post. This was not a dirty game and your bitterness is clouding your view of the intensity of how Gaelic football is played. Mayo had that intensity for a lot of first half but could not sustain it. They looked tired coming up to half time and when your out on your feet mistake creep in. Look at what Dublin missed. Only for Hennelly who made 3 excellent saves. As for Dublin fans when the national league comes around only 1 team can fill croker and it aint Mayo, or Kerry or Cork its Dublin. How many of the people there today will be in McHale Park come a cold Sunday for FBD league or NFL game?
    As a neutral, the behaviour of the dublin players completely downgraded their acheivement.
    Absolutely disgusting play and the ref really should have grown a pair and shown at least a red.

Im sure the dublin fans that wont see another gaa game until the next final wont be ashamed of their teams gamesmanship though. But no surprise either.
    Joe McQuillen should not have got that match today. He is awful. However I dont think Mayo can blame him. Higgins playing as a forward for Mayo was a waste and Vaughan contributed little. Vaughan looks good going forward, (like Heery and Barr of old) but his primary job today was to hold the midddle of the pitch and he was missing for long spells. Would Varley not have been an option from earlier in the game? Ritchie Feeley?

Dublin made some woeful mistakes in the first half and in the second hal when about 4 balls dropped in goalkeepers hands. but I felt Mayo got a few breaks with some soft frees. O'Carroll foulded for Andy Moran point and when Dublin attacked and Cafferkey gave the ball away it should have been a free in anyway. I dont know where your coming from with your comments about gamesmanship. I saw numerous players chatting off the ball and sharing water bottles
    ethical wrote: »
    Lot of negative stuff on here! The Dublin team deserved to win.Both teams can take credit for the gentlemanly way they greeted the subs for both sides.Yes ,Maybe Dublin got a little bit rough near the end but they were hanging on.Both sides will look back on this game and will note that they both played way better over the season.How Mayo left Alan Dillon on for so long was unbelievable. O'Conor should have gone for goal with the last free,if he missed the goal Mayo would have lost in any case so taking a point did not make sense.Fair play to both sides for trying to play football.
    I think Dublin deserved their win, just about. Dublin had to get negative in last 6 or 7 minutes but be honest what would any team in that situation do? Stand back and let them waltz through. On many occasions in the past Dublin have wore this jersey played great football but lost out.
    The physicality was the main one, the timing of the hard hits the Dublin defence put in on the Mayo forwards was beyond anything I've ever witnessed.

People who don't understand the game don't recognise the skill this takes to execute.
    Good post. Some of the Dublin tackling was just superb. They disposed Mayo players on a few occasions. Seamus O'Shea hit a good shoulder on Cian O'Sullivan but C' O'S saw it coming planted his feet on the ground and O'Shea stumbled and O'Sullivan scored. That was a superb piece of football some people on here dont understand. Just strength and technicque .

I think some people are being very harsh on some players on both teams. These lads gave everything and nerves got to a few of them.

As a Dublin G.A.A. supporter Im delighted Dublin won but I am genuinely sorry for the many great Mayo people who contribute so much to G.A.A. in general. Irish sport WAS a winner today.

Draw
    The whole thing seems a bit slack. It was a big win in 2011. Last year was something different and new with Donegal but this is all a bit bland.

Imagine the roars of delight when they went over to the team hotel had Mayo won. Most people there tonight seem more interested in the food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Dublin
    Did they name the man of the match yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No.

Neeson wrote: »
    The whole thing seems a bit slack. It was a big win in 2011. Last year was something different and new with Donegal but this is all a bit bland.

Imagine the roars of delight when they went over to the team hotel had Mayo won. Most people there tonight seem more interested in the food!

Actually, I thought it was all a bit flat. The game set the scene I think. . cluxston looks like he's been told he's stumping up for the hotel bill.

As a Mayo man, I thought what they did with the hill was stupid, can they not draw a line and split it. . instead it was mixed

Draw
    Actually, I thought it was all a bit flat. The game set the scene I think. . cluxston looks like he's been told he's stumping up for the hotel bill.

As a Mayo man, I thought what they did with the hill was stupid, can they not draw a line and split it. . instead it was mixed

No harm to Stephen I think he is just like that. But yeah the game was fairly poor. All the early wides and pulling and stopping and starting took the good out of it for the neutral.

Draw

Spoiler:
    Its going to be Brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Draw
    Spoiler:
    Its going to be Brogan

I think he plays number 15 for Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Draw

what did they "do" with the hill? genuine question. it's a terrace, both sets of fans have tickets and they congregate in various areas cos they come in at different sets of steps and at different times...I don't get ye.

If brogan got MOTM, who else was nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭dubrov

As a neutral, the behaviour of the dublin players completely downgraded their acheivement.
    Absolutely disgusting play and the ref really should have grown a pair and shown at least a red.

Im sure the dublin fans that wont see another gaa game until the next final wont be ashamed of their teams gamesmanship though. But no surprise either.

Neutral my h@le!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Is this only Dublin that do - or does this happen in other games?
    Watch the Sunday game they talked about it and the panel said "it's part and parcel of the game" - Mayo would have done the same.

It's easy coming on and having a go at the winning team for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Watch the Sunday game they talked about it and the panel said "it's part and parcel of the game" - Mayo would have done the same.

You can forget about the Dubs as far as they're men! ;)

I think the cynicism just seemed a bit much in the light of Gavin going on about Dublin's 'ethos' and 'philosophy' and what not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Worst speech

Twas.

Here's how its done !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

just because its becoming part and parcel of the game does not mean its right. Ruined the final 15 mins of the game and the players lost a lot of respect for that. It dilutes the achievement and ruins all the previous good work.

If mayo do it, its still wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

just because its becoming part and parcel of the game does not mean its right. Ruined the final 15 mins of the game and the players lost a lot of respect for that. It dilutes the achievement and ruins all the previous good work.

If mayo do it, its still wrong.

but your saying the ref should give a red?
    It's not a red card offence?

It all came up when Cavanagh did something which would been seen as a lot worse - he stopped a potential goal scoring chance. Dublin guys didn't - they just stopped the play.

Look back at all the games - it happens - maybe it shouldn't - but your post is specific to Dublin - why not make reference to the other counties that have done it?

No rule is going to change it - do you start giving red cards if it happens in last 5 mins of a game, and not if it happens in first 5 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Big C wrote: »
    what game were u watching, cos what i saw was pure muck
    I would like to know what game he was watching also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It all came up when Cavanagh did something which would been seen as a lot worse - he stopped a potential goal scoring chance. Dublin guys didn't - they just stopped the play.

Look back at all the games - it happens - maybe it shouldn't - but your post is specific to Dublin - why not make reference to the other counties that have done it?

because if im not mistaken this thread is about dublin v mayo so thats what im talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

I don't get this - rugby tackling and time-wasting in the closing minutes of an all-ireland final is still very cynical. Perhaps Mayo would've had a potential goal-scoring chance if Dublin hadn't been so cynical! If Gavin's gonna talk the talk his team should walk the walk. I'm neutral but if i were a Mayo fan I'd have been very frustrated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement