Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

aveytare wrote: »
    I don't get this - rugby tackling and time-wasting in the closing minutes of an all-ireland final is still very cynical. Perhaps Mayo would've had a potential goal-scoring chance if Dublin hadn't been so cynical! If Gavin's gonna talk the talk his team should walk the walk.
    Yes it is and Mayo fans can be annoyed but Mayo had ample scoring opportunities in the first half and failed to punish Dublin. Mayo's lead at HT should have been about 4-5 points more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Draw
    It's all bullsh1t. Gavin isn't a saint. He'll spread his good news but at the end of the day the boys on the pitch will pull before them as they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I don't get this - rugby tackling and time-wasting in the closing minutes of an all-ireland final is still very cynical. Perhaps Mayo would've had a potential goal-scoring chance if Dublin hadn't been so cynical! If Gavin's gonna talk the talk his team should walk the walk.
    because if im not mistaken this thread is about dublin v mayo so thats what im talking about

Are you guys saying that Mayo didn't commit cynical fouling in that game at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

That's fair enough, but every county has its percentage of clowns! Anyway, congrats on the win, ye deserved it.
    Indeed and thanks. There are ignorant toerags from every county ,Dublin included (obviously)
    Its one of the reasons I stopped going to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw
    You can forget about the Dubs as far as they're men! ;)

I think the cynicism just seemed a bit much in the light of Gavin going on about Dublin's 'ethos' and 'philosophy' and what not.

Lot of sour grapes against Dublin. If Mayo had won their fans and all the "Anybody But Dublin" fans in the rest of the country wouldn't care about how they won. Mayo fans should be more gracious in defeat, they have had enough practice, lets face it. They couldn't beat a well below par side even with the ref giving them everything. Will that group of players ever lift Sam? Probably not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has to be Brogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Dublin
    id say BB

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Are you guys saying that Mayo didn't commit cynical fouling in that game at all?

I'm sure there was - I just got a bit fed up with media perceptions of my own county (Tyrone) this year to be honest. Ah well, it's been discussed enough I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anybody think that more time could have been added on at the end, due to the exceptionally high number of fouls and yellow cards towards the end of normal time and in added time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Find it hard to believe Stephen Cluxton not nominated for man of the match. His contibution was enormous.

I would have went with (of the 3 niminated) Cian O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Has to be Brogan.

Three lads on the radio panel earlier on Take Your Point gave it to Cluxton!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Did Cluxton make any saves, or purely based on his kick outs and frees?
    He missed one scoreable free as well

Anybody think that more time could have been added on at the end, due to the exceptionally high number of fouls and yellow cards towards the end of normal time and in added time?

I think the clock should be stopped during such gaps in play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

repsol wrote: »
    They couldn't beat a well below par side even with the ref giving them everything.

Well it's not like Mayo played the greatest game of their life.. I think they gave away almost every ball in the half forward line in the second half.. One of the Mayo backroom was on the radio earlier, he said that the ref told Cillian O'Sullivan that there would be 30 seconds left after he knocked the ball over the bar.. That is why he took the point and didnt go for the goal.. Was anything said about this tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Lapin wrote: »
    I think the clock should be stopped during such gaps in play.

Aren't they bringing in a clock in Croker next year? I wonder will it be stopped for when Cluxton is brought up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Did Cluxton make any saves, or purely based on his kick outs and frees?
    He missed one scoreable free as well
    Felt his overall contribution is enormous to Dublin everyday. Today he got his kickouts spot on especially in the second half, talk about putting ball on a plate. Did we lose any of his kickouts from 30 minutes on?

Fair play to Brogan. Really tough year and he was rewarded with 2..3 today and MOM award

Three lads on the radio panel earlier on Take Your Point gave it to Cluxton!!.

He has had better days.

I don't think he was called upon today to the extent that he swayed the outcome of the game.

And he missed a sitter.

Not denying his contribution. He had a good game.

But Bernard Brogan was the difference between winning and losing.

realweirdo wrote: »
    Aren't they bringing in a clock in Croker next year? I wonder will it be stopped for when Cluxton is brought up?

or when Mayo waste 40 seconds in injury time taking a free?
    Did that twice today.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe the ref should have added an extra minute for the amount of time it took mayo to take their last two frees too. If i was a Mayo man Id be furious at them for that lack of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Draw
    thought the Mayo goalie deserved a mention.

or when Mayo waste 40 seconds in injury time taking a free?
    Did that twice today.....

I agree with that, but Mayo were losing. I think what others are referring to is when a team is in front and they waste time.

Personally, I think bringing goalies up should be banned, regardless of the team.

Bambi wrote: »
    Maybe the ref should have added an extra minute for the amount of time it took mayo to take their last two frees too. If i was a Mayo man Id be furious at them for that lack of confidence.

Ah it's just more of the same auld clueless Mayo in big games. Rabitt stuck in headlights stuff, the bigger the occassion the more indecisive they are and don't know what to do. I think we will always have that trait to be honest.

I agree with that, but Mayo were losing. I think what others are referring to is when a team is in front and they waste time.

Personally, I think bringing goalies up should be banned, regardless of the team.

Ok, so what your saying is if a team is winning there is one rule for them,
    and if a team is losing there is another rule.

I get ya now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Draw
    Well it's not like Mayo played the greatest game of their life.. I think they gave away almost every ball in the half forward line in the second half.. One of the Mayo backroom was on the radio earlier, he said that the ref told Cillian O'Sullivan that there would be 30 seconds left after he knocked the ball over the bar.. That is why he took the point and didnt go for the goal.. Was anything said about this tonight.

Mayo couldn't beat Dublin in 74 minutes of play. I think anyone looking for another 30 seconds is clutching at straws. Considering Mayo couldn't win Cluxtons kick outs its doubtful they would have even touched the ball in 30 seconds.

Ok, so what your saying is if a team is winning there is one rule for them,
    and if a team is losing there is another rule.

I get ya now.

Most teams don't timewaste when they lose, except of course Mayo! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Just back from Croker.

The way I saw it ....

- Mayo were on top for first 20mins. Winning most midfield ball.

- After 20mins, something changed (O'Gara came on, Dublin went longer and wider with kick outs and Mayo never really had clean midfield possession after that.
    - Mayo were rather lucky to be one point up at half time. Dublin missed three reasonable goal chances, dropped two shots into goalkeepers hands.

In 2nd half, I think Mayo only got one score from open play ? .... the goal ... which was really a mistake in defence by Dublin.

Dublin also had three injuries to deal with --- Mannion, Cooper and O'Gara (O'Gara stayed on but was stood, limping on the edge of the 20m line for the last 5 mins).....hence all the fouling which ruined the last 5 mins of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

A poor game in fairness, a lot of loose marking and mistakes by both sides, and it was probably the worst football both teams played all year. Although if Mayo had put a few of those wides from the first half over the bar then they could really have kicked on.

Joe McQuillan probably shouldn't be allowed to referee Dublin matches anymore- while he didn't hand them the game to the same extent as he did in 2011 he still gave them a lot of breaks.

Dubs were very cynical for the last few minutes but that was to be expected.

The Dublin backs were fantastic, as was Cluxton and Bernard Brogan. O'Gara won a lot of ball as well in fairness to him.

Cillian O'Connor kicking it over the bar at the end was utter insanity.

Having said all that I still think Dublin are deserving champions and they fully merit their victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    gaffer91 wrote: »
    A poor game in fairness, a lot of loose marking and mistakes by both sides, and it was probably the worst football both teams played all year. Although if Mayo had put a few of those wides from the first half over the bar then they could really have kicked on.

Joe McQuillan probably shouldn't be allowed to referee Dublin matches anymore- while he didn't hand them the game to the same extent as he did in 2011 he still gave them a lot of breaks.

The Dublin backs were fantastic, as was Cluxton and Bernard Brogan. O'Gara won a lot of ball as well in fairness to him.

Having said all that I still think Dublin are deserved champions and they fully deserve their victory.

Did you actually watch the match?? Ridiculous comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Having said all that I still think Dublin are deserved champions and they fully deserve their victory.
    Would you go away outta that. If anything that game should go a long way to dispelling the myth that he favours Dublin.

I hate to see Mayo supporters blaming refs.
    The fact is we had more than enough chances to win this game and our shooting was simply awful as was most aspects of Mayo play. Our forwards couldn't hit a barn door, players over-carried, sloppy passing, you name it. A very very poor performance from Mayo. And all credit to Dublin for beating what was put before them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I hate to see Mayo supporters blaming refs.
    The fact is we had more than enough chances to win this game and our shooting was simply awful as was most aspects of Mayo play. Our forwards couldn't hit a barn door, players over-carried, sloppy passing, you name it. A very very poor performance from Mayo. And all credit to Dublin for beating what was put before them.

well said. Must be very frustrating being a Mayo fan. No harm being beaten, but under-performing so many times in All-Ireland finals must be a killer.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Did you actually watch the match?? Ridiculous comment.
    Would you go away outta that. If anything that game should go a long way to dispelling the myth that he favours Dublin.

He left Dublin off the hook for a heap of yellow cards and possibly a red or two as well. If you read this thread and the Mayo curse one it's not exactly a controversial opinion.

He left Dublin off the hook for a heap of yellow cards and possibly a red or two as well. If you read this thread and the Mayo curse one it's not exactly a controversial opinion.
    It's a popular opinion on here alright, says more about the people expressing it than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Agreed, Mistakes were made today but refereeing mistakes are made in every game. Don't think he was favouring either side. People need to appreciate that refereeing is a very very hard job and human error is to be expected. Dubs did get numerous crucial breaks in the 2011 final which contributed to their win, but again I don't think the ref was deliberately trying to favour either side. Many big games are plagued by poor refereeing decisions.

Dublin didn't need the ref on their side in any case, they would have won today no matter what. I still find it hard to believe the margin was only a point such was their superiority in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Dublin
    Just home. Beaten by the better side. A lot more ideas and we were working much too hard for our scores.
    I sat in front of a dublin supporter and we talked for the entirety if the two games, a real gent and I thoroughly enjoyed his thoughts on football as a whole.
    A part from that, two dublin supporters in front of us were deplorable, one with a child on their lap, the other exposing himself in the second half when dublin scored, they were a disgrace!! I know these supporters exist everywhere, but they brought it to a new low. I've been to every mayo inter county game for the last 4 years, and they were the worst. Disgraceful!! When the gentleman I was talking to apologised for them after they threatened another supporter, I knew it wasn't just me.
    Well done dublin, deserved winners, bur it left a nasty taste I'm afraid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Dublin
    repsol wrote: »
    Mayo couldn't beat Dublin in 74 minutes of play. I think anyone looking for another 30 seconds is clutching at straws. Considering Mayo couldn't win Cluxtons kick outs its doubtful they would have even touched the ball in 30 seconds.

Actually 70 minutes of play, 4 minutes added on (plus whatever was added to the end of the 1st) is for 4 minutes during the second half that wasn't play, i.e. stoppages.

And they're not clutching at straws. We saw 2 weeks ago in the hurling 30 seconds being added on for the Clare GK taking the sliothar with him which resulted in an abnormally long time for the sideline to be taken. For C O'C's first free today in stoppage time took nearly 30 seconds, Cluxton took nearly another 30 seconds to kick the ball out. It was even longer for the second free. That's not to mention the amount of time O' Carroll and Cooper were down for plus all the other stoppages. I'll say this once, the added time today was a farce, and whether you're from Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Dublin, you should be able to acknowledge that.

That aside, Dublin were the better team today, however, for the 2nd time in 3 years their AI has big question marks over it regarding decisions at the end, and coincidently (?) the referee was the same.

But there is no arguing that Dublin were the best team all year, league included. I think it's been obvious now to everyone for quite some time that Dublin will be a force to be reckoned with for the next decade or so. Plenty of that team are the right side of 25, and there's plenty of more talent coming through.

It's a popular opinion on here alright, says more about the people expressing it than anything else.

Says what exactly? I'm not a raving anti-dub or anything I even supported them today because I always support whoever knocks out Kerry for the rest of the championship.

I don't see why Dubs get so defensive when it is correctly pointed when they receive a little bit too much help from the referee- far more so in 2011 when Dublin wouldn't have won the game without him but today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    I think some of ye need one of these :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvUDHg0pe-E9Vqp10HGAcBNoaciOHddbmVw6xAfTPnd32Cxqm3

Goodnight and

UP DA DUBS

Everyone has a caveat. Dublin deserved it but...
    It's like a catchphrase at this stage.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Dublin
    Who got man of the match folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Draw
    80s Child wrote: »
    Who got man of the match folks?
    Brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Draw

Not necessarily. I mean in all honesty Mayo had little or no chance of working a goal from that position such was the wall of Dublin players in front of them.

It was worth taking a chance that the ref might let it run on past the 4 mins if Mayo had won possession from the kickout. It's a common misconception that the number of minutes injury time is a limit not to be surpassed. It isn't.

It's a minimum and the ref can add to it at his discretion to allow for subsitutions, time wasting etc. Unfortunately refs often don't and that makes it easy for teams to run down the clock.

The whole issue of timekeeping needs to be looked at. (but I'm not suggesting that it had any great bearing on today's result. The better team won on the day and were probably worth a bit more than the 1 point margin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Draw
    keith16 wrote: »
    I'm seriously cut up here. Another loss in a final. Margin was only 1 point in the end but that doesn't speak to how far ahead Dublin were. Flattering for Mayo in fact.

Unrecognisable Mayo and they spent much of the 2nd half running down blind alleys.

Anyway, enjoy the celebrations to all the decent Dublin fans, of which there are many. Sadly there is quite a few others on here who are doing a disservice to the majority.

I'm in pieces here.

*Bro-Hug*, sincerely. I have relations from Mayo, and they are utterly gutted too. A couple of Mayo lads on the Hill next to me today were in tears. I can only imagine how rough it must be.

I am delighted with the result and care not one iota how the game went. All I wanted in the end was for Dublin to be ahead of Mayo when the final whistle went. And I got what I wanted. It wasn't pretty, but like the old adage goes "Don't look at the mantle-piece when you're poking the fire".

It's a shame that the final didn't live up to expectations, but so few of the "big" games in any sport you care to mention do live up to the hype.

When the history books are written, regardless of what we think of the standard, in black and white, it will simply state:

-2013 All Ireland Football Champions: Dublin

nothing more, nothing less.

Commiserations to Mayo.

UP THE DUBS!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Draw
    Im a Dub through and through but our support is just awful. Reading the different cases of them making fools of themselves at the game today makes me so bitter about not getting a ticket today . During the semi final a lad beside me in the hill asked me if number 3 was Bernard Brogan .....

Now for the match, i thought Dublin were the better team and the future looks very bright for us. We have a huge conveyor belt of talent coming through and its great to see. My heart goes out to all the Mayo fans, iv relations from Mayo and they were in tears on the phone watching Cluxton lift Sam. I feel their best chance of an All Ireland may just be gone for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Dublin
    Mayo supporter here. Beyond disappointed, to be honest. They just didn't have the forwards. We don't have a Bernard Brogan on our panel to do damage up front, and very poor decision-making all round. Don't know what Cillian O'Connor was thinking taking the point instead of taking a risk and going for a goal in the last 30 seconds or so. Ludicrous.

Kevin McLoughlan was atrocious, missing easy points in the first half, that ended up costing them.

I don't think at the end of the day that Dublin were all that better than Mayo though. Dublin's backs are a joke, and Mayo should have exposed them more. I think Mayo will look back on it as a real squandered opportunity. Mayo should have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    Mayo supporter here. Beyond disappointed, to be honest. They just didn't have the forwards. We don't have a Bernard Brogan on our panel to do damage up front, and very poor decision-making all round. Don't know what Cillian O'Connor was thinking taking the point instead of taking a risk and going for a goal in the last 30 seconds or so. Ludicrous.

Kevin McLoughlan was atrocious, missing easy points in the first half, that ended up costing them.

I don't think at the end of the day that Dublin were all that better than Mayo though. Dublin's backs are a joke, and Mayo should have exposed them more. I think Mayo will look back on it as a real squandered opportunity. Mayo should have done better.

Ref told him 30 seconds. Anyway it's ifs buts maybes. If he scored a goal from that range in the last minute I'd've eat my hat anyhow

So harsh on dub full back line

Look back on my posts. I lambasted cooper all sides but my word he stood up today IMO. Fair play to him. Dublin are a class outfit and believe me won't get as much credit as they deserve. One thing is for sure- Donegal can be thankful dub didn't turn up last year

Mayo have done themselves proud all year and criticising them is pointless. I'd imagine most of them broke down in that dressing room

Don't know about you but il be believing for 2014. First week in jan il be there to watch fbd and won't miss a league/champ all year! The boys have reached two ai's and deserve our support. Don't stop believing

Anyway I find it sad hearing stuff all night Dublin played poor mayo poorer!

Dublin played a super game today- because it wasn't pretty who cares. O Gara was the man- Gavin a shrewd operator.
    Cluxton poty?? I know the all stars are dubious at best if times but surely 5 mayo backs deserve one, MDMA Connolly mccaff Flynn cluxton as strangely the only dubs! Cluxton poty or Flynn! Latter most underrated player I've seen. Anyway dubs team to best surely for next few years and such respect! Absolute beasts. MDMA= my favourite footballer in the country I think

Enjoy it guys ye deserve it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Draw
    THFC wrote: »
    Actually 70 minutes of play, 4 minutes added on (plus whatever was added to the end of the 1st) is for 4 minutes during the second half that wasn't play, i.e. stoppages.

And they're not clutching at straws. We saw 2 weeks ago in the hurling 30 seconds being added on for the Clare GK taking the sliothar with him which resulted in an abnormally long time for the sideline to be taken. For C O'C's first free today in stoppage time took nearly 30 seconds, Cluxton took nearly another 30 seconds to kick the ball out. It was even longer for the second free. That's not to mention the amount of time O' Carroll and Cooper were down for plus all the other stoppages. I'll say this once, the added time today was a farce, and whether you're from Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Dublin, you should be able to acknowledge that.

I agree, the ref should've added another two minutes or so and the dubs could've slotted two or three more points over to give a better reflecting scoreline of what took place during the whole game instead of just a one point winning margin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin
    Well done Dublin, the better and more clinical team on the day.
    Hard for us to take ANOTHER defeat, my 12th now in my time supporting Mayo.

On a sadder note I am going to mention the experiences which I have never had in my 37 years going to GAA matches, and I mentioned this numerous occassions in this and other GAA threads, but we had the window broken on our bus from the Dublin fans just past Berties pub, also the lad in the Dublin jersey who piss(D on the side of the bus, which was filled with kids and adults and about 10 elderly people.

Also as we left at the final whistle the glorious lad above our heads in 307 who spat down on us leaving, shouting abuse at us with wives and kids as stewards stood around looking at him.

I HATE to leave the thread on a sour note, but above was one of the saddest experiences, that said 99% of the Dublin fans and plenty of my jackeen mates out weigh these fukers, its just said that lads can't win and lose with respect.

Well done Dublin again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Jim Gavin quoted as saying that Dublin were playing 16 men! Not happy with the referee at all. :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/we-were-playing-the-ref-as-well-as-mayo-jim-gavin-29598711.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Draw
    Hitchens wrote: »
    Jim Gavin quoted as saying that Dublin were playing 16 men! Not happy with the referee at all. :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/we-were-playing-the-ref-as-well-as-mayo-jim-gavin-29598711.html

He's right, the ref was very poor.

Advertisement