Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin
    1.5 million tuned in and a 74% share of the TV audience. Terrific stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

iDave wrote: »
    1.5 million tuned in and a 74% share of the TV audience. Terrific stuff.

Wonder does that take into account, multiple people watching one broadcast i.e Big Screens, GAA clubs, Family homes etc? You could probably add a couple 100k to that if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dublin
    realweirdo wrote: »
    Aren't they bringing in a clock in Croker next year? I wonder will it be stopped for when Cluxton is brought up?

Only if they stop it for COC as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Draw
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Only if they stop it for COC as well ;)

Sunday Game had a clock on him for the last 2 frees, 40 seconds each, crazy taking that length of time to kick 2 easy frees in injury time when chasing the game, Cluxton didn't even try wasting time for the last kick out, as he had done the whole game he had it placed into a Dublin mans arms before some of the Mayo players even realised the game was back on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Wat i mean is by their unsportsmanlike fouling, and gavins comments which attempt to justify the charade. Absolutely celebrate no problem. They did just about deserve to win overall but the manner of victory makes it a little hollow.

And as for other teams doing it absolutely. That behaviour shouldnt happen - end of.

But this thread is about yesterdays match.

I don't think the victory feels hollow to any Dub. We are all delighted and smiling today.

You are right, Gavin shouldn't moan about the referee. There was nothing unusual about the free count. It happens in nearly every game involving Dublin. It is no wonder when you read about 31 counties shouting for Mayo/Kerry/Tyrone/Donegal etc. when they play Dublin.

Dublin teams and players need to be more than a little bit better than other teams to win games.

If you want to talk about cynicism and yesterday's match, what was amazing was the number of third-man tackles, late tackles and jersey-pulling that went unpunished, mostly because one referee can't keep up with the speed of the game as it was played and his assistants are no help at all. As a hard, strong, physical team, Mayo were probably more guilty of that type of behaviour, especially in the first half.

In fact, when you see a close game with two evenly matched teams and your team gets the win despite the referee giving such a number of frees against you, it makes the win sweeter rather than hollower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Your heart would go out to Mayo, (as a Dub). The level of support from what is a small county population wise, not to mention distance, is a total credit to them,

In fairness I wouldn't describe Mayo as a small county. Mayo is a huge county (size wise) and is pretty much right in the middle of the 32 counties as far as population goes. Try telling a Leitrim, Rosmommon or Sligo man that Mayo are a small county and they would probably laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

andyman wrote: »
    So you're two points down with a 20 yard free which the last play of the game and you take a point?

I'm sorry, but after seeing that yesterday I don't believe Mayo deserved a thing. Taking the point there was accepting defeat.

I think you'll find they asked the ref how much time was left before the took the last free and he said 30 seconds which would indicate Mayo would have one last chance to get an equaliser, unfortunately Cillian took too long taking the free and McQuillan counted that as part of the 30 seconds so there was no time left. I can absolutely guarantee you that if Cillian thought that was the last chance, he would most definitely have went for a goal.

Ridiculous to suggest otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Draw
    In fairness I wouldn't describe Mayo as a small county. Mayo is a huge county (size wise) and is pretty much right in the middle of the 32 counties as far as population goes. Try telling a Leitrim, Rosmommon or Sligo man that Mayo are a small county and they would probably laugh.

pretty much this, mayo and kerry size and population wise are very close

we ie roscommon brought 20,000+ down to ennis for an all-ireland minor replay in 2006 on a saturday evening, if we ever got a senior final not a man, woman or child with a bit of roscommon blood would be left in the county :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dublin
    stdidit wrote: »
    I think you'll find they asked the ref how much time was left before the took the last free and he said 30 seconds which would indicate Mayo would have one last chance to get an equaliser, unfortunately Cillian took too long taking the free and McQuillan counted that as part of the 30 seconds so there was no time left. I can absolutely guarantee you that if Cillian thought that was the last chance, he would most definitely have went for a goal.

Also Dublin won the ball from the kickout. If Mayo had won it maybe theyd have played on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

stdidit wrote: »

They bottled it.

Deep into injury time you don't take the point and hope that another scoring chance will show up within less than 30 seconds.

You don't stand over simple frees for 40 seconds when you've only 2 minutes left

they didn't have the belief in the end.

Bambi wrote: »
    They bottled it.

Deep into injury time you don't take the point and hope that another scoring chance will show up within less than 30 seconds.

You don't stand over simple frees for 40 seconds when you've only 2 minutes left

I'd say the mayo forwads bottled it, I wouldn't even put the Mayo forwards in the same category as the rest of the team, they were just passengers along for the ride. Its the forwards and the forwards alone that have cost us the last two All-Irelands.

Still love to know why Freeman(our biggest threat) was taken off. He did not indicate he was injured and was shaking his head in disgust when he was called off. I hope it wasn't yet another massive tactical mistake by Horan.

If the back nine had any support up front we would be celebrating in Castlebar tonight and likely going for three in a row next year. If Dillon is in the team next year it will be the same result, biggest bottler of them all.

Bambi wrote: »
    They bottled it.

Well if that's what you think, fair enough, your entitled to your opinion. Personally if referee said you had 30 seconds left I think it would have been ridiculous and stupid to have went for a goal. The chance of getting a goal from where he was, was minimal at best with what must have around 10 Dublin players on front of him. I agree though that they took too long taking it and also took too long taking the one before that.

As an avid Mayo supporter who still hasn't managed to raise a smile since the game, I just want to say congrats to Dublin and all their fans. I think they were just about the better team on the day and therefore deserved to win. Havent watched it back on TV (and probably wont!) but I thought the referee made some very strange decisions and lacked consistency, don't think he favored either team in particular but gave some soft free to both sides and didn't give a few frees which I thought should have been given. I've no issue with Dublin fouling in the last few minutes, they did what they had to do to win and with only 13 men I'm sure Mayo would have done the very same if they were in that position.

I Was in the hill yesterday and while I was delighted to see so much Green and Red in there I think it should be said that all the Dubs fans around us were absolute gents. While of course they celebrated at the final whistle, I waited on to see the trophy presentation and many of them came over shaking hands and saying hard luck which was a nice gesture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Draw
    mickeyk wrote: »
    Dubs have short memories, they got an AI title gift wrapped and handed to them on a silver platter by the same poor ref just two years ago, and any kerryman who had the audacity to mention it was a whinger. Can he not just take the win ffs.

I've yet to meet a Kerry man that begrudges us that win, you are talking utter pony.

I think a manager giving out about a ref on the back of a win, especially an all Ireland win speaks volumes about the decisions the ref made. Gavin has nothing to gain by it and only puts himself at risk of getting slated but its obviously something he felt needed be said not for the good of Dublin football but football in general. Tough job and all that but the ref had a very poor game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I've yet to meet a Kerry man that begrudges us that win, you are talking utter pony.

I think a manager giving out about a ref on the back of a win, especially an all Ireland win speaks volumes about the decisions the ref made. Gavin has nothing to gain by it and only puts himself at risk of getting slated but its obviously something he felt needed be said not for the good of Dublin football but football in general. Tough job and all that but the ref had a very poor game.

i honestly thought mcquillan let a lot of high tackles go myself on both sides yet the one honest shoulder to shoulder challenge in the second half he gave mayo the free, alright it was heavy and the two lads went down but it was exactly the same as the shoulder that put an end to pete hartes semi final.

i think the last free was a bottle job myself too, cluxton was destroying mayo with his kick outs so there was a very good chance they wouldnt win the last kick out(which they didnt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Draw
    microsim wrote: »
    Good rugby by dublin in the last 10 mins. That mcmanaman guy . . Your typical jack

Same old mayo again I'm afraid.

love these comments. meat and drink to us. Written by people who watch one game of football a year!! COYBIB!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

microsim wrote: »
    Good rugby by dublin in the last 10 mins. That mcmanaman guy . . Your typical jack

Same old mayo again I'm afraid.

Makes it all the sweeter. ;)

The Jacks are back. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Draw
    Most undeserved title in a long time...also one of the dullest finals in recent years. Hard luck to Mayo. Roll on the Hurling!

This is a daft post. Dublin were the best team this year and were deserved All-Ireland champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    harpsman wrote: »
    Well done Dublin.

1) Poor enough game and youd think the last 10 mins of pullin and draggin would dampen down some of the sanctiomonious crowing we ve heard about dublin all year but no-i heard paul curran,i think, on the radio goin on about how dublin are a breath of fresh air after last ten years of negativity.
    He musnt have watched too many of tyrones games from 05 and 08 caus they played some of the best football ive seen in croke park,and produced it in finals too.

2) Mayo remind me of an alcoholic whos in denial about his drinking.
    Unless they accept that their senior teams have a problem performing in all-irelands i dont think they ll ever win one. im fed up listening to their supporters goin on all year about how they "won" the last hour of last years final and how they "were the better team apart from the 'crazy' goals".
    Theyve flopped in 5 finals in a row now and i think theyd be better off accepting that rather than whinging all winter about the ref or dublins cynical fouling in the last ten minutes.
    Don't know where you are finding all these Mayo fans that were whinging,they were not in Croke Park yesterday.We were beaten by a slightly better team,we failed to capitalise on our first half dominance on the scoreboard.An old failing.
    In spite of a very poor performance in the second half,we hung in there.You heard very few complaints from Mayo supporters at full time,even re the added time.IMO McQuillan had a very poor game.
    Re the cynical fouling we did the same last year,Keith Higgins is quoted in today's Indo saying Mayo would have done the same thing,so few complaints.Does not make it right,hopefully the black card will weed out the excesses of that blight on our great game.
    The majority of Mayo supporters have never claimed we won the last hour of the Donegal game,we lost the game and deservedly so.
    Our lads did not flop,the Dubs were favourites and won because as predicted they had better forwards.I'd never insult amateur players by accusing them of choking or flopping.Not knowing the enormous sacrifices they put in.

Draw
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Don't know where you are finding all these Mayo fans that were whinging,they were not in Croke Park yesterday.We were beaten by a slightly better team,we failed to capitalise on our first half dominance on the scoreboard.An old failing.
    In spite of a very poor performance in the second half,we hung in there.You heard very few complaints from Mayo supporters at full time,even re the added time.IMO McQuillan had a very poor game.
    Re the cynical fouling we did the same last year,Keith Higgins is quoted in today's Indo saying Mayo would have done the same thing,so few complaints.Does not make it right,hopefully the black card will weed out the excesses of that blight on our great game.
    The majority of Mayo supporters have never claimed we won the last hour of the Donegal game,we lost the game and deservedly so.
    Our lads did not flop,the Dubs were favourites and won because as predicted they had better forwards.I'd never insult amateur players by accusing them of choking or flopping.Not knowing the enormous sacrifices they put in.

well said...in fairness i don't think there's many mayo fan post match posters on this thread who are interested in posting reasonable analysis of the game, i know its the last place i'd be reading if roles we reversed yesterday. it's mainly "neutrals" (me hoop) trolling who are only interested in stirring dublin team trash talk so its a fairly poor place to be looking for genuine mayo reaction to yesterday's events. fair play to those offering congratulations to the dubs and their fans, that takes a lot. i've no doubt that it won't be the last final mayo will contest in the next few years and if the dubs aren't there i know who'll i'll be offering my tickets and support to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Slightly better team on the day won , but it was a typical september mayo performace . Far too many bottlers and shapers on the team to win an AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Draw
    Though I'm not a Mayoman, I have followed this Mayo team closely over the last 3 years, and they would be my second team, so I was naturally gutted yesterday.

Better team won, and could have won by more if they hadn't gone down the pulling down route in the last 7/8 minutes. Though, I understand they were carrying a lot of knocks, and were most likely out on their feet.

Mayo seemed to lack urgency in the final few minutes, but i'd put that down to exhaustion as well. Really feel for Cillian. On that last free, he was convinced the ref was bringing it forward after the Dublin back kicked it away, so that wasted a bit of time, and then he was trying to process the information given to him by the referee, listen to players and management telling him what to do. He's 21 years old, and to have to deal with all that on All Ireland Final day, with the game on the line, 82,000 in the stadium and a few million watching all over the world, is massive pressure. There was clearly a mis-communication between himself and McQuillan but it wouldn't have mattered with 12 men in front of the goal.

Mayo's forwards were a big disappointment. Dillon really seems to struggle in Finals, Freeman was apparently struggling with the Flu and they really lacked a target man.

Cluxton totally bypassed the O'Shea's and it took away Mayo's biggest threat.

The backs were brilliant, and I don't buy Gavin's complaints about the free count. Every young back in the country should be shown Mayo's defensive display. They tackled hard and fair, and gave only 6 frees away in either half. Dublin's backs were poor in the first half, and gave away some silly frees, but their performance from 30 mins to 60 mins was exceptional also. They were as disciplined as the Mayo backs, and in reality most of the cynical fouls were committed by forwards filtering back towards the end.

Overall, exciting, but not a vintage final. Best team in the country won. 1 competitive loss this year (Tyrone in the league by 1 point). Going to be tough to beat this Dublin team for years to come.

Congratulations to worth Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Godge wrote: »
    I don't think the victory feels hollow to any Dub. We are all delighted and smiling today.

You are right, Gavin shouldn't moan about the referee. There was nothing unusual about the free count. It happens in nearly every game involving Dublin. It is no wonder when you read about 31 counties shouting for Mayo/Kerry/Tyrone/Donegal etc. when they play Dublin.

Dublin teams and players need to be more than a little bit better than other teams to win games.

If you want to talk about cynicism and yesterday's match, what was amazing was the number of third-man tackles, late tackles and jersey-pulling that went unpunished, mostly because one referee can't keep up with the speed of the game as it was played and his assistants are no help at all. As a hard, strong, physical team, Mayo were probably more guilty of that type of behaviour, especially in the first half.

In fact, when you see a close game with two evenly matched teams and your team gets the win despite the referee giving such a number of frees against you, it makes the win sweeter rather than hollower.

Read earlier that Dublin got the majority of frees in most of their matches this year, i might be wrong though, my memory's terrible and I was just skimming through the article. If I'm wrong I hold my hands up.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that McQuillan gave Dublin hardly anything in the first half but that in the second-half he was even-handed enough, almost as if someone told him he was being too one-sided.

Also Dublin were very cynical in the last 10 minutes but that's not massively surprising, all the top teams are (though the focus tends to be on Donegal/Tyrone, perhaps a bit unfairly at times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Draw
    It's also worth noting and I don't mean to rub salt into Mayo's wounds that they were essentially competing against 13 men during the final minutes (O'Sullivan and O'Gara were crocked) and if you include MDMcA's suspected foot fracture that he incurred in the first half that's 12 fully competitive players in those closing stages. Makes Dublin's victory all the more impressive and Mayo's loss more pallid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Draw
    well said...in fairness i don't think there's many mayo fan post match posters on this thread who are interested in posting reasonable analysis of the game, i know its the last place i'd be reading if roles we reversed yesterday. it's mainly "neutrals" (me hoop) trolling who are only interested in stirring dublin team trash talk so its a fairly poor place to be looking for genuine mayo reaction to yesterday's events. fair play to those offering congratulations to the dubs and their fans, that takes a lot. i've no doubt that it won't be the last final mayo will contest in the next few years and if the dubs aren't there i know who'll i'll be offering my tickets and support to.

Fair enough if you say these posters arent mayo supporters. Tbh my point was more about making excuses-have a look at the mayo forum and you ll see the same oul guff-if only coc was fit,if only freeman hadnt gone off,if only higgins didnt go back to corner back etc. i just think at this stage they might be better acknowledging the elephant in the room. Cos the other approach sure aint workin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Draw
    First post on the thread so apologies if I go over old ground.

Deeply disappointed by the game yesterday, Naively expected a footballing shoot out by the two top teams in the country. What we got (IMO) was instead a performance from Mayo which was of Division 2 standard, at times it lacked in basic skills. How many times was a ball turned over by an errant solo in that first half, how many times did they pass the ball blind into space, how many times did they allow cluxton a free man to arrow one of his kick outs to? What I saw from Mayo yesterday (with a couple of honourable exceptions) was brain dead, stage fright football.

Dublin deserved their victory despite not playing the game very well. On one hand they executed their game plan very well in terms of stopping mayos running from deep. Vaughan was visibled hobbled early on in the game and went missing when before he was the driving force behind Mayos play. after the game I bemoaned the negative nature in which Dublin closed out the game - I was told that was what any grown up team would do. Well if thats what teams are supposed to do then the game is in trouble. The black card won't stop what happened with 10 mins to go yesterday, paradoxically it could aid a team allowing them to get fresh players on to the pitch provided their quota for black cards for the match had not already been met.

so Dublin did what they had to do to win - I don't begrudge them the victory at all, I am happy for them as I have spent most of my adult life in the city and I love the city, its just such a pity that it had to come with an absolute stinker of game that was yesterdays showpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Draw
    seligehgit wrote: »

1 As i say was kinda referrin to excuses in general.
    2 heard plenty of mayo people,including kevin mc stay only a week ago say those exact words bout last yr final-sure horan was blamin brolly earlier in yr
    3 what have u got against the word "flopping"-ive seen and heard much worse and more personal criticism. And they did flop. Again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Never said I begrudged the win, but the ref handed the dubs that win, Sunday game panel at the time acknowledged that the ref made huge errors throughout that all favoured the dubs. Even cluxtons famous winner should never have been awarded as a free, and to add salt to the wound he didn't even give Kerry time to level it. When Kerry drew the dubs this year fitzmaurice was asked if Kerry would be ok with the same ref given his shocking performance in 2011. It's easy to dismiss bad reffing and say somebody is talking pony when you're the beneficiary of the bad calls. Water under the bridge at this stage but I can't see what Gavin is trying to prove coming out with these statements today. He won, just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Never said I begrudged the win, but the ref handed the dubs that win, Sunday game panel at the time acknowledged that the ref made huge errors throughout that all favoured the dubs. Even cluxtons famous winner should never have been awarded as a free, and to add salt to the wound he didn't even give Kerry time to level it. When Kerry drew the dubs this year fitzmaurice was asked if Kerry would be ok with the same ref given his shocking performance in 2011. It's easy to dismiss bad reffing and say somebody is talking pony when you're the beneficiary of the bad calls. Water under the bridge at this stage but I can't see what Gavin is trying to prove coming out with these statements today. He won, just get on with it.

So what your saying is, cause dublin won that they should not be pointing out that the ref missed off the ball dragging of Dublin players and stopping them moving up the field throughout the game.

But it is ok for the neutrals who don't like Dublin to come on here and say that the ref favoured Dublin?

I'm beginning to understand how the mind of some you guys work

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So what your saying is, cause dublin won that they should not be pointing out that the ref missed off the ball dragging of Dublin players and stopping them moving up the field throughout the game.

But it is ok for the neutrals who don't like Dublin to come on here and say that the ref favoured Dublin?

I'm beginning to understand how the mind of some you guys work

Not what I was saying, just pointing out the hypocrisy in saying Dublin always have to play 16 men. They have had their luck in the past. Coming out complaining about the ref even when you've won is pretty ungracious tbh. And again my point is proven, highlight dublins previous good fortune at the hands of a bad ref and you're a whinger.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Draw
    Not what I was saying, just pointing out the hypocrisy in saying Dublin always have to play 16 men. They have had their luck in the past. Coming out complaining about the ref even when you've won is pretty ungracious tbh. And again my point is proven, highlight dublins previous good fortune at the hands of a bad ref and you're a whinger.

Heh, you are whingeing about your totally imagined invented good fortune in 2011, 2 bloody years later. Some neck to call someone else a whinger.

copacetic wrote: »
    Heh, you are whingeing about your totally imagined invented good fortune in 2011, 2 bloody years later. Some neck to call someone else a whinger.

Nothing imagined about it, anybody who watched that game without blue tinted glasses will agree, and as I said it was even agreed by the Sunday game panel on that night and widely covered in the papers afterward, but of course they were all wrong. I didn't call anybody a whinger btw, just calling some of the idiotic comments about dubs always having to play 16 men. Don't expect anybody from Dublin to agree of course. Not posting about this again cos all ill get is abuse :) up the dubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

The ref wasn't great yesterday. The bogus 45 to Dublin off MDMC was just one example. The cynicism of the Dublin players towards the end was pathetic but having said that, all the other teams including Mayo would have done the same.

However, Mayo can blame no-one but themselves. They had more than enough opportunities to put the game beyond doubt. I know people will say I'm being negative, but I am just being realistic. You can't expect to keep putting the ball wide, lose possession or just not score from play and win an AI. The least worst team won in my opinion, and that was Dublin. A truely error strewn final.

Draw
    I can't see what Gavin is trying to prove coming out with these statements today. He won, just get on with it.

Its exactly what I said he was trying to prove, he won but because the ref was so poor he still felt the need to point this out, this isn't sour grapes on his behalf as he won the game, its the principle of the ref being so bad somebody had to put it on record regardless of who won, the manner in which he has gone about this with the win, has made it all the more relevant.
    Even cluxtons famous winner should never have been awarded as a free, and to add salt to the wound he didn't even give Kerry time to level it

um no, it was a foul. the kerry players right next to him seem to agree with me and the ref on this one. watch and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnJPTENOKk

can't believe that the 2011 victory is being dragged into all this, real bottom barrel stuff. although any excuse to watch that glorious final ten minutes again, and again and again i suppose :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Don't have time to reD through the thread..

Who won??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    BTW ... what sorta eejit would vote in a poll when the result is known ? :rolleyes:.. Mayo were leading in the poll right up to when I left for the match yesterday LOL .. weird

Draw

Who won??

Leitrim, touchdown in the last minute by tomás o hoolihan

Please explain how I'm a whinger?

You really are making it up now

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Please explain how I'm a whinger?

You really are making it up now

Are you serious? Never called you anything. Read the post again.

• Advertisement

Miss read the last line sorry,

Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Who won??

Football lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    Melodrama at its best ..jaysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Dublin
    As a Mayo man I'm bitterly disappointed, Sam was there for the taking and to lose by a point at the end after all the wides and wasted possession is nothing short of galling. Fair play to the Dubs though, they found their rhythm in the second half and kept their concentration throughout. I was uneasy at half time as it reminded me of the Tyrone match in reverse, the dominant team in the first half being only a point up and not making the most of the purple patches. We needed the cushion for the inevitable Dublin fight back and we just didn't get it.

Serious question now need to be asked in Mayo about forwards and tactics, nothing seemed to go right for Horan at all yesterday, you need to have depth in the squad so that the team can weather a few injuries. It was obvious that early on in the second half Mayo were in the trouble but the bench just wasn't effective enough, in complete contrast to the Dubs whose strategy of emptying the bench early on has been well lauded all year.

Congrats to the Dubs and we'll see ye next year when the inevitable Mayo dethroning of the champions occurs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

walshb wrote: »
    That still doesn't explain it. He isn't the timekeeper. He knew a goal was needed. No leadership at all at a crucial leadership time. Unreal.

Mayo manager's decision to get him to go for the point. Explanation from The Horse's Mouth, RTE Radio 1 yesterday, just after 6ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Draw
    Mayo were on top for the first fifteen or twenty minutes but after that Dublin were dominant. All this talk that Mayo left it behind and all that is nonsense. Dublin were the better team and will also rue their three gilt edged goal chances and other misses. If Dublin had managed to remain injury free and have fifteen fit players on the park at the end the winning margin would have been greater. The fact is Mayo only managed to haul back in Dublin's lead because Dublin were carrying two passengers and about three others with knocks. About 1/3 of the Dubs team was effected with injuries to one extent or another and Mayo could still not capitalize on this advantage add in th favourable ref and it should be apparent that Mayo were actually lucky to get as close to Dublin as they did.

Mayo only scored once from play in the second half and were dependent on Joe McQuillan's whistle for most of their scores. Most of Dublin's scores came from play. The ref also gave Mayo at least one ridiculous free from which they scored and a couple of other borderline frees. If Mayo had won it would not have been deserved not would the better team have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

bohsboy wrote: »
    Makes it all the sweeter. ;)

The Jacks are back. Again.

This kind of attitude by yourself and other Dubs baffles me. Do you really prefer winning because of cynical play and fouling as opposed to actually playing fantastic football like you did in the semi final?

Dublin's fouling at the end was shocking to watch but any team would have done it. That still doesn't mean you should take some sort of perverse pride in it.

Edit: also got a good laugh at Gavin complaining about the referee. A more cynical man than myself might think he's playing mind games with McQ and wants him to be in Dublin's pocket again should they get him next year, a la yesterday and more obviously the 2011 final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Give over your moaning. Typical response today with the 31 counties trying to pick holes in a fantastic Dublin display with a crocked team.
    It is true though, it's made so much sweeter when I read the expected rubbish that's thrown at the dubs to try and taint another glorious day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Draw
    I've read this thread all day and didn't contribute, but I feel a need to now.

I really can't believe how easy it is to fall out with people over this. Obviously I'm basing this on the social media side of things. My facebook news feed has caused me no end of trouble. As a Dublin supporter I thought I was being respectful by not going online last night and giving it an absolute lash! Tonight, after spending the day reading Boards, the hogan stand and GAA forums, I decided to express my feelings on my FB page. The reaction has been very eyeopening in terms of this famous 31 counties versus Dublin thing. I've had likes on posts from disgruntled Mayo supporters from so called FB friends from faraway places like ****ing Carlow! WTF! The minute I started expressing my opinion on the result tonight, it was obvious that so called FB friends from beyond the pale were making subtle but obvious contributions that were decidedly anti Dublin. In terms of the game itself, I don't care, but it does throw up a stark reminder of how some really have a huge hang up about Dublin in general.

As for the game. I live abroad so had to watch it in an Irish bar. Plenty of Dubs there and great atmosphere. No obvious Mayo supporters, which was a shame. But we did have a few country folk who decided that it was going to be an anti Dublin chant all the way. One lovely lady from Dublin in her jersey was told to "shut the **** up you Dublin ****er" by a real arsehole that funnily disappeared at the final whistle. We also had some London supporters in their jerseys screaming for Mayo. For a minority they made plenty of noise and insulted a lot of people. I relate all this as Ive noticed posts here about Dublin supporters in Croker that were off side in terms of being honourable winners.

The best one for me was the English guy who's father was from Achill. While passionate about Mayo, he hadn't a ****ing clue about how the game is played. Very funny. Every time a mayo player launched a kick downfield, he'd scream, "why did you do that". When Moran got on the end of one to score a goal, he screamed, "YEEEEEEESSSSSSS my son, I know why you did that." Brilliant.:D Even MAN UTD supporters were joining us once City did the damage and were genuinely amazed at the passion and pace of what we were watching.

Overall a poor game in technical terms and my heart genuinely went out to Mayo at the end. Its a real pity about the slow frees and added time, but herein is an example of how Mayo are a tad naieve. Dublin did what they had to do in the end and did it well. I cried my eyes out. Loved it! A bit hard watching from thousands of miles away, but a few of us got come on you boys in blue going and made sure that this morning we'd be all flat out with hangovers.

Thanks to Jim Gavin and all the lads.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    This kind of attitude by yourself and other Dubs baffles me. Do you really prefer winning because of cynical play and fouling as opposed to actually playing fantastic football like you did in the semi final?

Dublin's fouling at the end was shocking to watch but any team would have done it. That still doesn't mean you should take some sort of perverse pride in it.

Edit: also got a good laugh at Gavin complaining about the referee. A more cynical man than myself might think he's playing mind games with McQ and wants him to be in Dublin's pocket again should they get him next year, a la yesterday and more obviously the 2011 final.

What about Mayo Cynical fouling throughout the game, the holding back and dragging out of Dublin players off camera so they couldn't support the player in possession, is this ok because it wasn't caught on camera, and wasn't in the last 10 mins? It's being highlighted throughout the championship, but when the Dubs do it - the whole country goes mad at them.

What you think Mayo would have done if 2 points ahead with 5 minutes to go - knowing the history involved - would they have let Dublin play attacking football running through the defence, without taking the man down?

• Advertisement
Advertisement