Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Draw
    gaffer91 wrote: »
    This kind of attitude by yourself and other Dubs baffles me. Do you really prefer winning because of cynical play and fouling as opposed to actually playing fantastic football like you did in the semi final?

Dublin's fouling at the end was shocking to watch but any team would have done it. That still doesn't mean you should take some sort of perverse pride in it.

Edit: also got a good laugh at Gavin complaining about the referee. A more cynical man than myself might think he's playing mind games with McQ and wants him to be in Dublin's pocket again should they get him next year, a la yesterday and more obviously the 2011 final.

how was the homecoming? good craic in the castlebar was it? looks like u got plenty of free chips for your shoulder and a good few sour grapes...better luck next year. roll on the treble.

Draw
    This kind of attitude by yourself and other Dubs baffles me. Do you really prefer winning because of cynical play and fouling as opposed to actually playing fantastic football like you did in the semi final?

Dublin's fouling at the end was shocking to watch but any team would have done it. That still doesn't mean you should take some sort of perverse pride in it.

Edit: also got a good laugh at Gavin complaining about the referee. A more cynical man than myself might think he's playing mind games with McQ and wants him to be in Dublin's pocket again should they get him next year, a la yesterday and more obviously the 2011 final.

how was the homecoming? good craic in the castlebar was it? looks like u got plenty of free chips for your shoulder and a good few sour grapes...better luck next year. roll on the treble.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Mayo are mentally fragile , too many players hide on the big day but thats always the case with mayo. There great men for racking up big scores in connacht and hyping themselves up but they havent performed in a single final. Then the fans will give it the usual "better team for 60 mins" And the typical ref excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

dats_right wrote: »
    Mayo were on top for the first fifteen or twenty minutes but after that Dublin were dominant. All this talk that Mayo left it behind and all that is nonsense. Dublin were the better team and will also rue their three gilt edged goal chances and other misses. If Dublin had managed to remain injury free and have fifteen fit players on the park at the end the winning margin would have been greater. The fact is Mayo only managed to haul back in Dublin's lead because Dublin were carrying two passengers and about three others with knocks. About 1/3 of the Dubs team was effected with injuries to one extent or another and Mayo could still not capitalize on this advantage add in th favourable ref and it should be apparent that Mayo were actually lucky to get as close to Dublin as they did.

Mayo only scored once from play in the second half and were dependent on Joe McQuillan's whistle for most of their scores. Most of Dublin's scores came from play. The ref also gave Mayo at least one ridiculous free from which they scored and a couple of other borderline frees. If Mayo had won it would not have been deserved not would the better team have won.

I suppose a lot of things happened in the match that had you been told about them without knowing the result, you would have been very confident of Mayo winning.
    • Lee Keegan winning his battle hands down with Diarmaid Connolly.
    • Ciaran Kilkenny having a poor game, missing easy chances and being replaced.
    • Jack McCaffrey out of sorts and being replaced.
    • Mannion injured early on and replaced (although its likely O'Gara had far more influence than Mannion would have).
    • Dublin starting forwards other than Brogan scoring only 3 points.
    • Cluxton getting just the 2 points.
    • Dean Rock and McMenamin coming on and not scoring.
    • Dublin scoring 2-12 their lowest total in the championship and after hitting 3-18 vs Kerry.
    • Dublin finishing the game carrying a few injured unable to be replaced players.

Mayo will feel that with the above list, that if their attack had functioned any bit after the first 20 minutes, they really could have won that game. But no doubting the better team on the day and deserving winners, showing plenty of character to dig out a win in spite of all the above going wrong for them.
    Fair play to Dublin, while that was a poor All-Ireland, they have been great to watch all year, and the game v Kerry is one for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Awful bad echo in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What about Mayo Cynical fouling throughout the game, the holding back and dragging out of Dublin players off camera so they couldn't support the player in possession, is this ok because it wasn't caught on camera, and wasn't in the last 10 mins? It's being highlighted throughout the championship, but when the Dubs do it - the whole country goes mad at them.

What you think Mayo would have done if 2 points ahead with 5 minutes to go - knowing the history involved - would they have let Dublin play attacking football running through the defence, without taking the man down?

I think you missed the part where I said I'd no particular problem with the fouling as any team would do it were they in Dublin's position, I just have a problem with Dublin fans taking pride in it.

I'm from Kerry.

Also is it to standard response from Dubs fans to meet any criticism of Dublin with accusations of "sour grapes" and "whingeing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I'm from Kerry.

Even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Haha, he got you there, gaffer91.

aveytare wrote: »
    Haha, he got you there, gaffer91.

Alright I laughed I admit it!

I actually was for dublin though believe it or not as I always support whoever knocks kerry out. Must have been the only non-dub in the country shouting for them! I'm just offering a few criticisms of them which I think are worth mentioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    I really can't believe how easy it is to fall out with people over this. Obviously I'm basing this on the social media side of things. My facebook news feed has caused me no end of trouble. As a Dublin supporter I thought I was being respectful by not going online last night and giving it an absolute lash! Tonight, after spending the day reading Boards, the hogan stand and GAA forums, I decided to express my feelings on my FB page. The reaction has been very eyeopening in terms of this famous 31 counties versus Dublin thing. I've had likes on posts from disgruntled Mayo supporters from so called FB friends from faraway places like ****ing Carlow! WTF! The minute I started expressing my opinion on the result tonight, it was obvious that so called FB friends from beyond the pale were making subtle but obvious contributions that were decidedly anti Dublin. In terms of the game itself, I don't care, but it does throw up a stark reminder of how some really have a huge hang up about Dublin in general

In fairness you are right about the Anti Dublin , I live in Cavan and went out for pints all day . The pub I was in was a mixture of Cavan people and Dublin people and I had a great time . The day was going great but as the night wore alot of people started to get very very moody over Dublin winning . So at this stage we all decided to get some cans and head back to my house . As we where in getting a pizza a fella in a mayo jersey who is from Cavan started pushing one of my mates and threw a punch at another one . So we pinned him up against a wall and said for him to leave even his mates came in a grabbed a hold of him . He wouldn't leave so in the gaurds came around and had to arrest him . It was kind of sad and it just left us abit speechless . I would say 95 % of the people that where out last night congratulated us and said we deserved to win the All Ireland it was just a few select fools who went overboard about Dublin winning . It would remind you of the fact sport can bring out the worst in people even if they have no real attachment to a team . This post wasn't mean't to slate anyone from Cavan at all because like I said nearly of them congratulated us last night . It was just to highlight that some people who are not from Dublin really hate to see us win anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

My thoughts on the Final.

As a Dub, I was delighted with the result but I thought that our performance was more workmanlike rather than champagne stuff.

I did think that Mayo came out all guns blazing for the first 20 minutes and I suspected that this would take it's toll on them later during the game.
    But fair play to Mayo they stuck at the task and were only a point away at the very end.

Anyone else think that the ref favoured Mayo? Some of his decisions were very bad in the first half and the early part of the second half.
    Granted we did get decisions toward the end of the game too.

Draw
    Also is it to standard response from Dubs fans to meet any criticism of Dublin with accusations of "sour grapes" and "whingeing"?

that's exactly what it is. you are whingeing about a very valid decision a ref made in a final 2 years ago. it's not just sour grapes and whingeing...it's pathetic is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

that's exactly what it is. you are whingeing about a very valid decision a ref made in a final 2 years ago. it's not just sour grapes and whingeing...it's pathetic is what it is.

Yet the Dublin manager can come out whining about refs even when they've won comfortably! Talk about a double standard. Like I said earlier it is so easy to wave away bad reffing and call sour grapes when you've benefitted from the bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

mickeyk wrote: »
    Yet the Dublin manager can come out whining about refs even when they've won comfortably! Talk about a double standard. Like I said earlier it is so easy to wave away bad reffing and call sour grapes when you've benefitted from the bad decisions.

Dublin won comfortably? They won by 1 point. How is that winning comfortably?
    In relation to Jim Gavin, he merely answered a question in relation to the referee. He stated a fact that Mayo had 30+ free kicks while Dublin had something like 12.
    With the so call cynicism from the 'dirty Dubs' They played the last 10 mins with 13 players and the vast majority of frees were given away by forwards. Dublin played over 420 minutes of football this year. The overwhelming majority of that was played with attacking flair that was a joy to watch. Yet on here people or focusing solely on the last 10 minutes of a final. I just don't get it.

Dublin won comfortably? They won by 1 point. How is that winning comfortably?
    In relation to Jim Gavin, he merely answered a question in relation to the referee. He stated a fact that Mayo had 30+ free kicks while Dublin had something like 12.
    With the so call cynicism from the 'dirty Dubs' They played the last 10 mins with 13 players and the vast majority of frees were given away by forwards. Dublin played over 420 minutes of football this year. The overwhelming majority of that was played with attacking flair that was a joy to watch. Yet on here people or focusing solely on the last 10 minutes of a final. I just don't get it.

I've no issue with the way Dublin played, they played to win and I never criticized the fouling. It was more comfortable than 1 point, mayo were never going to win that match. Mayo got more frees because they were fouled on the ball a lot more, although people have alluded to a lot of off the ball stuff by mayo. Ref was poor generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Draw
    I've no issue with the way Dublin played, they played to win and I never criticized the fouling. It was more comfortable than 1 point, mayo were never going to win that match. Mayo got more frees because they were fouled on the ball a lot more, although people have alluded to a lot of off the ball stuff by mayo. Ref was poor generally.
    I agree with this, other then the statement that McQuillan was poor.

In a tough physical match, he marshalled the game very well and though mistakes were made, he didn't get any major decisions wrong IMO. He has no slow-mo instant replay to rely on.

Don't get me wrong i'm not McQuillans biggest fan, especially after 2011 (the BJK incident was a foul btw, but some of the earlier stuff really hurt us IMO), but I have to say despite the foul count against Dublin and the issue with the time at the end, he was fair to both sides.

Very rare that you can feel that way in the modern game, especially after a 1 point Win/Defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

I was at the game and for the first 30 mins every single time Cluxton put the ball down for a kick out, every Mayo player grabbed a Dublin jersey to stop them moving. Not once was it picked up. Very cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Draw
    Hi lads, Anybody in McHale Park last night, not trying to **** stir but rumours abound that the Chairman of the Mayo county board compared the US capturing Bin Laden to Mayo winning Sam, It will happen one day
    If true he'll live to regret it me thinks

• Advertisement

Draw

Gavin whining? I'd imagine he's quite content with a league championship, Leinster championship and an All Ireland in his first year. You are mixing up whining and castigating...winners don't whine, losers do. Gavin, as I have said again and is castigating the ref and making a point in order to correct.

Dublin benefiting poor refereeing decisions and bringing up 2011 is pathetic and has no place in this discussion, most of all because it was the correct decision by the referee, the Kerry footballers playing the game seem to think so too so have a word with them about it if you dont accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The issue is nothing to do with Dublin, this all boils down to cheerleading done all summer by apparent knowledgable GAA pundits and support about what's wrong with football and the frenzy with which it is jumped upon by the gullible.

It's not so long ago the general mood was that this summer Dublin was the blueprint as to how football should be played. They were barcelonaesque in their approach. Which they were, their football has been a joy to watch. And on the flip side there was Tyrone, all that is wrong with football encapsulated perfectly in Cavanaghs pull down tackle against Monaghan. It was discussed on radio show, dominated sports headlines for days, and it was all quite frankly bull****. It was almost like American wrestling of old, let's build up a bad boy and a hero and market them. Yet hey presto the team who play football the right way as such perform cynical fouls also, who would have thought?

Dublin did what they had to do to win, how anyone can expect anything else from them is beyond me, the very same as what Sean Cavanagh did, it's sport. All this whinging about fouling when the game is over is pointless and childish, (they fouled us more than we fouled them, well that's only because you didn't see all the off the ball stuff, I mean ffs) and to be honest I'm surprised Gavin said anything, he has always come across as a very cool customer who only says what he needs to, I mean what was the point in saying that when the game is over and done and dusted.

Every team fouls when they need to win, in every sport and no amount of rule changes will change that cos it's human nature. One change I would like to see next year is in the RTE studio next year.

Best of luck to Dublin, they look scarily well equipped to dominate football for a long time

Draw
    Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Chairman of the Mayo county board compared the US capturing Bin Laden to Mayo winning Sam

eejit... getting rid of this lad might be a good start to winning sam.

Gavin whining? I'd imagine he's quite content with a league championship, Leinster championship and an All Ireland in his first year. You are mixing up whining and castigating...winners don't whine, losers do. Gavin, as I have said again and is castigating the ref and making a point in order to correct.

Dublin benefiting poor refereeing decisions and bringing up 2011 is pathetic and has no place in this discussion, most of all because it was the correct decision by the referee, the Kerry footballers playing the game seem to think so too so have a word with them about it if you dont accept it.

Jays us chill out man, I understand now. Nobody but Dublin is ever aloud have an opinion on a ref. Calling whinging something else does not make it something else btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Draw
    eejit... getting rid of this lad might be a good start to winning sam.

According to RTE it was the Chairman of Mayo County Council who said it. Could be a typo. Either way, still a bit distasteful IMO.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2013/0923/476006-mayo-return-home-to-castlebar/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Draw
    Jesus, very distasteful. If they want it that bad, we'll bring it down when we're down in Castlebar next Feb/Mar...COYBIB:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    Well there's a big difference between the chairman of the county board and the county council saying it

Tactless on his part mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No doubt the comments from Gavin were moot and stupid. Apart from that, he appears a top class manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi lads, Anybody in McHale Park last night, not trying to **** stir but rumours abound that the Chairman of the Mayo county board compared the US capturing Bin Laden to Mayo winning Sam, It will happen one day

I was going to post about that actually when I read it last night on the RTE website

Can someone tell the guy that the US got Bin Laden in May 2011 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don't think the Bin Laden comment is over the top, there have been many worse analogies applied to the GAA. The US took 10 years to find Bin Laden but they eventually did (and there wasn't a cow milked in Times Square that night).

I'm sure the Mayo County Chairman is hurting, I wouldn't hold it against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Haven't gone through and read the thread because there is so much but I wouldn't agree with this.

My view is that Horan made a couple of bad calls on the day. It was obvious Dublin would try and by pass midfield, which they did. Nothing was done to try and bring both O'Sheas into the game. I was very surprised to see him take off Freeman (Was he injured?) as he was making serious amount of space and pulling the corner backs everywhere.

Moran could have been taken off earlier, didn't look up to the pace near the end.

When Dublin took the lead Mayo sat right back, at one stage afetr about 55 minutes Mayo had 2 players in Dublin's half and let them come onto them.

Whatever was said at the end by the ref I think they should have ghone for goal anyway as they were far from certain of winning a resulting kick out.

The referee had a poor day IMO, for both sides. Both O'Connor and Brogan pulled up for steps when both fouled. A couple of soft frees for both teams as well. There should also have been more than 4 minutes injury time.

Over the course of the game Dublin were the better team. Brogan, O'Sullivan, Cluxton and MDMA were all excellent. Thought Brennan had one of his better games and O'Gara, while not doing much did what he did well.

Kilkenny was very disapointing and was a loss having to take Mannion off.

Dean Rock came in and did a very good job.

Just shows how much weight the final holds when you see Aidan O'Shea go from 4/7 to 66/1 for player of the year after 1 game!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

There hasn't been much talk in the media about Mayo taking the "worthless" point with the last kick of the game nearly.
    Surely these teams would have a plan to go for a goal in these situations - it looked like they had given up and "only" losing by a point isn't too bad.
    I'd much rather see some stupid elaborate move that failed to generate the goal than just "take the point" and the beating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

There hasn't been much talk in the media about Mayo taking the "worthless" point with the last kick of the game nearly.
    Surely these teams would have a plan to go for a goal in these situations - it looked like they had given up and "only" losing by a point isn't too bad.
    I'd much rather see some stupid elaborate move that failed to generate the goal than just "take the point" and the beating!

He was told he had 30 seconds so obviously thought they would get one more chance to get an equaliser. Chances of getting a goal were next to none with 10 or 12 Dubs on front of him so taking point was, in my opinion, the right option at the time. If he knew that was going to be the last kick then im fairly positive he would have went for goal. Unfortunately for him, he took too much time over it and the 30 seconds were gone, he also too way too much time over the free before that.
    I cant criticise him though, he a young amateur footballer who firstly wanted to make sure he did the right thing in going for the point (you could clearly see him asking for help on the decision) and secondly wanted to make sure he actually scored it as it would have been a heck of a lot worse if he put it wide going for a point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

He should get his facts right for a start; they didn't capture him, they killed him.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Draw
    bohsboy wrote: »
    Give over your moaning. Typical response today with the 31 counties trying to pick holes in a fantastic Dublin display with a crocked team.
    It is true though, it's made so much sweeter when I read the expected rubbish that's thrown at the dubs to try and taint another glorious day.

Same in Donegal, even after mayo thrashed us and a bit of a rivalry was forming it still went back to the anyone but dublin state of mind, the whole country would praise them all year but won't fathom them actually winning anything.
    I was supporting the dubs as there were too many mayo flags about in donegal lately. All the way to the build up mayo fans thought they were going to "hammer" Dublin.

stdidit wrote: »
    He was told he had 30 seconds so obviously thought they would get one more chance to get an equaliser. Chances of getting a goal were next to none with 10 or 12 Dubs on front of him so taking point was, in my opinion, the right option at the time. If he knew that was going to be the last kick then im fairly positive he would have went for goal. Unfortunately for him, he took too much time over it and the 30 seconds were gone, he also too way too much time over the free before that.
    I cant criticise him though, he a young amateur footballer who firstly wanted to make sure he did the right thing in going for the point (you could clearly see him asking for help on the decision) and secondly wanted to make sure he actually scored it as it would have been a heck of a lot worse if he put it wide going for a point!

It wouldn't have made any difference in the end!

The top teams should have a plan to go for goal from these positions when needed.
    It may not work but it looks a lot braver than going for the point and hoping for another.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin
    stdidit wrote: »

He possibly should have gone for goal, but he took the point in the "hope" Mayo would capture the kickout and go on the attack.
    In his defense the lad is 21 years of age, he was probably carrying a few painkillers in his system which MAY have affected his decision making hence why he had to ask for help, the noise level and pressure along with the intense heat must have been incredible, I know as a fan sitting in the stands I was in a heap, move that out into COC situation.

Regardless, he didn't go for the goal, I have read and heard plenty of barstoolers who have called him x, y and Z and those are the same people who probably rang up Kevin Keanes house and abused him and his parents down the phone as well as those who abused him on the streets.

Great to see the crowds in McHale park last night for the minors and the seniors.
    We have been here before, all we can do is pick up the pieces and move onto next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

It wouldn't have made any difference in the end!

The top teams should have a plan to go for goal from these positions when needed.
    It may not work but it looks a lot braver than going for the point and hoping for another.

True, it wouldn't have made any difference in the end but if he had missed it and they did get another chance then it could have made a massive difference! Its all ifs and buts though!

My point is...at some stage when it's all hanging in the balance, have you got the balls to take on the difficult shot or do you go for the easy option and hope that'll be enough.
    Sometimes the difference between winning and losing can be as little as that.
    Best of luck to Mayo in their quest for the holy grail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

the kelt wrote: »
    Every team fouls when they need to win, in every sport and no amount of rule changes will change that cos it's human nature. One change I would like to see next year is in the RTE studio next year.

I'm sorry but that is a bad attitude. Are you telling me that if a player fouls another with the sole intention of stopping him moving the ball quickly near the end of the game that a red card & 21 Yd Free (or penalty) at the discretion of the ref or something along those lines wouldn't stop it happening???

You can't blame the players because the rules are poor.
    The rules could be changed but it will probably never happen because they are changed by a process with too many people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

yop wrote: »
    He possibly should have gone for goal, but he took the point in the "hope" Mayo would capture the kickout and go on the attack.
    In his defense the lad is 21 years of age, he was probably carrying a few painkillers in his system which MAY have affected his decision making hence why he had to ask for help, the noise level and pressure along with the intense heat must have been incredible, I know as a fan sitting in the stands I was in a heap, move that out into COC situation.

Regardless, he didn't go for the goal, I have read and heard plenty of barstoolers who have called him x, y and Z and those are the same people who probably rang up Kevin Keanes house and abused him and his parents down the phone as well as those who abused him on the streets.

Great to see the crowds in McHale park last night for the minors and the seniors.
    We have been here before, all we can do is pick up the pieces and move onto next year.
    Fans say harsh things in the heat of the moment and its forgivable and comes from passion/excitement but what sort of lowlife scumbag abuses a player or their family in the street? Did this really happen? Depressing if so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    Fans say harsh things in the heat of the moment and its forgivable and comes from passion/excitement but what sort of lowlife scumbag abuses a player or their family in the street? Did this really happen? Depressing if so.

Did indeed. Spoke with his mother and Dad during the season, my Dad would know them well.
    Everyones an expert at the end of the day, especially those who have never kicked a ball ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    Same in Donegal, even after mayo thrashed us and a bit of a rivalry was forming it still went back to the anyone but dublin state of mind, the whole country would praise them all year but won't fathom them actually winning anything.
    I was supporting the dubs as there were too many mayo flags about in donegal lately. All the way to the build up mayo fans thought they were going to "hammer" Dublin.
    You've got be having a laugh if you think Mayo fans thought we were going to hammer Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    yop wrote: »
    Did indeed. Spoke with his mother and Dad during the season, my Dad would know them well.
    Everyones an expert at the end of the day, especially those who have never kicked a ball ;)
    Disgusted to hear that happened,hard to believe anybody would stoop so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    Ok I am going to stick the head on the block here

Mayo have scored a total of 15-81 this year, that is an average of 3-16 a game
    13-63 has come from the mid-field and forwards, 2-18 from the backs and keeper.

It a well know fact that Dublin have a questionable backs, Mayo have a better set of backs

Mayo to win this pulling up, 6pts +
    seligehgit wrote: »
    You've got be having a laugh if you think Mayo fans thought we were going to hammer Dublin.

The good Father gave a sermon ....

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Draw
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Even look at this thread before the result skewed the poll, some had mayo to win by at least 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Dublin
    "The player took some time to take the free and when I blew the final whistle there was 74 minutes and 39 seconds on my stopwatch."

Quote from McQuillan re the match on Sunday.

Does this not show that the whole injury time is made up? Surely when he blew the final whistle, the stopwatch should show 70 mins, with the stopwatch being stopped and started for injuries?

Stadium clock is the only answer....talk the time keeping away from the referees, well at intercounty level anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

"The player took some time to take the free and when I blew the final whistle there was 74 minutes and 39 seconds on my stopwatch."

Quote from McQuillan re the match on Sunday.

Does this not show that the whole injury time is made up? Surely when he blew the final whistle, the stopwatch should show 70 mins, with the stopwatch being stopped and started for injuries?

Stadium clock is the only answer....talk the time keeping away from the referees, well at intercounty level anyway
    As far as I know, and I stand to be corrected by referees on here, but I think referees would usually have two stop watches. One which they leave on for the entire game, and one which they stop when there's an injury or other stoppage which would require time to be added on. But I'd agree that a stadium clock is needed.

On O'Connor's free, am I the only one who thought that should have neither gone for a goal (too far out, too many players off the line) or a point (obviously) but maybe played it short to another player which could have made more space for a forward. Ifs and buts, I know, but the chances of him getting a goal direct from the free was pretty much zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Maybe if they had Michael Meehan... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meehan's was on the 14 yard line meaning the Cork defenders had to remain on the line. O'Connor was around the 21 so Dublin players could be off the line. Just think possibly feigning to go for goal before passing (I think there was a player to his right in side the box) could have created a bit of space for a better chance.

Advertisement