Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dublin
    Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Jesus, very distasteful. If they want it that bad, we'll bring it down when we're down in Castlebar next Feb/Mar...COYBIB:D

it was in achill island last time dublin won it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Meehan's was on the 14 yard line meaning the Cork defenders had to remain on the line. O'Connor was around the 21 so Dublin players could be off the line. Just think possibly feigning to go for goal before passing (I think there was a player to his right in side the box) could have created a bit of space for a better chance.

Do you not have to be a certain distance back? Anyway, it was a comment made in jest made about a Mayo team losing because they didn't have a Galway player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    Its a fair point, but i couldnt see anyone bursting through the amount of Dubs at the back, and it would have been too close to get a shot off if he did pass it.

It was a no win situ for him.
    I'd have blasted it myself if in that situ though. Low and hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    I've walked out of Croker over the years on the back of some sorry defeats for the Dubs... a lot of the time we haven't had the benefit of the "coping mechanisms" that are being posted in the last few days, huge defeats with no basis for the performance ... yesterday all the threads were hijacked with the fact that Dublin were cynical, today that the ref didn't add enough time on after COC's point. Da Bomber Liston flagged the fact that Mayo hadn't good enough forwards to lift Sam nearly 2 months ago ... there's been some small comment on this over the last few days as a sudden realisation by some that this truly was the case.

I've walked back up Clonliffe Road straight after a game unable to let the elephant into the room let alone ignore him ... I'd never post something here that I wasn't prepared to say directly to someone's face... the fact is eventually you have to accept that your team just wasn't good enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Dublin
    As far as I know, and I stand to be corrected by referees on here, but I think referees would usually have two stop watches. One which they leave on for the entire game, and one which they stop when there's an injury or other stoppage which would require time to be added on. But I'd agree that a stadium clock is needed.

On O'Connor's free, am I the only one who thought that should have neither gone for a goal (too far out, too many players off the line) or a point (obviously) but maybe played it short to another player which could have made more space for a forward. Ifs and buts, I know, but the chances of him getting a goal direct from the free was pretty much zero.

I was thinking pass it 13 yards back to draw some players of the line........ball has to travel that far anyway so, it may have forced some of the Dubs on the line. There is no way he was scoring direct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Dublin
    yop wrote: »
    Regardless, he didn't go for the goal, I have read and heard plenty of barstoolers who have called him x, y and Z and those are the same people who probably rang up Kevin Keanes house and abused him and his parents down the phone as well as those who abused him on the streets.

Great to see the crowds in McHale park last night for the minors and the seniors.
    We have been here before, all we can do is pick up the pieces and move onto next year.

Anyone who abuses KK or COC dont deserve to call themselves Mayo fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Dublin
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    The good Father gave a sermon ....

One person.

Draw
    One person.

Ah yer right..only one person in Mayo held that opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Draw
    I think every team would foul cynically in the last few minutes of an All Ireland final being a few points up. But i think a sin bin should be introduced only for team fouls ( similar to rugby ) . So if the defending team made 3 fouls in one attack from their opponents then the player who committed the third foul would be sent to the sin bin ( something along those lines ).

Thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Draw
    I think every team would foul cynically in the last few minutes of an All Ireland final being a few points up. But i think a sin bin should be introduced only for team fouls ( similar to rugby ) . So if the defending team made 3 fouls in one attack from their opponents then the player who committed the third foul would be sent to the sin bin ( something along those lines ).

Thoughts ?

The sin bin is used in Ladies' Football. I'd be totally in agreement that it should be used in the men's. Yellow card is not just a deterrent any more, it also has you in the sin bin for 10 minutes. That would be an even bigger deterrent, IMO. Would be well worth bringing in.

I'm not 100% sure about this black card thing, but I am totally in favour of the Sin Bin. Works wonders in rugby and in Ladies' Football, so should work in the men's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Mayo had 15 ladies on Sunday :D
    DazMarz wrote: »
    .... Ladies' Football......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    Ah yer right..only one person in Mayo held that opinion..

The vast majority of Mayo supporters did not hold that view as would have been quite obvious to any Dublin supporter observing the pensive facial expressions worn by the same said supporters in Croker pre match.We were well aware that Dublin were the real deal,I'd seen Bernard Brogan give Ger Cafferkey a torrid time in the earlier league game.I myself had felt Dublin might have too much for us as would be self evident from my previous posts on the Mayo thread.
    It's not as if one would'nt have found the odd Dublin supporter or two who held the belief they'd beat us out of the door.Not that any of this toing and froing makes a bit of difference.
    Ye guys have Sam and we've a very long winter ahead of us.
    What really sticks in the craw is when people kick you when you're down,gloating etc...this is not aimed at you.

Draw
    seligehgit wrote: »
    The vast majority of Mayo supporters did not hold that view as would have been quite obvious to any Dublin supporter observing the pensive facial expressions worn by the same said supporters in Croker pre match.We were well aware that Dublin were the real deal,I'd seen Bernard Brogan give Ger Cafferkey a torrid time in the earlier league game.I myself had felt Dublin might have too much for us as would be self evident from my previous posts on the Mayo thread.
    It's not as if one would'nt have found the odd Dublin supporter or two who held the belief they'd beat us out of the door.Not that any of this toing and froing makes a bit of difference.
    Ye guys have Sam and we've a very long winter ahead of us.
    What really sticks in the craw is when people kick you when you're down,gloating etc...this is not aimed at you.

Well said. I have relations in Mayo, lots of em. One of my cousins is even on the Minor panel. So I can only imagine. Might give them a buzz when the wounds are less raw.

Nobody I spoke to believed that it would be anything other than a tight, close-contested game.

Draw
    Ah yeah seligehgit .. in fairness you were grounded in your opinions right thru the year. I never get involved in OTT stuff .. but I'm on record here as saying that Dublin would win because imo they were the better team. That view was enforced at HT when Mayo hadn't taken their opportunities.

There's nothing worse than dealing with a defeat of any kind...in our case more often than not a heavy defeat and having it rubbed in, but look life goes on an AI win hasn't changed my life one bit. I'm now looking forwrd to the 2nd round of the club championship here at the start of October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

How does the clock work in the ladies football?

Are the certain events that trigger it stopping? Such as if a player takes two minutes to take a free, is one and a half minutes added on at the end or what?

How does it allow for cyclical fouling and time wasting!

It's put out as perfect solution but it might have it's flaws too - like hawkeye!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

:mad:
    Bitter, bitter, bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Apologies if this has been raised beffore, but for Brogan's first goal are you allowed use and open hand to bat the ball into the net? It struck me immediately after the goal had been scored but didn't bring it up until now.

Not a 100% sure on the rule but I had a look at the goal again and am ceratin it was not a fist. He makes one after the ball has already been played but his contact with the ball was with his palm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin
    Apologies if this has been raised beffore, but for Brogan's first goal are you allowed use and open hand to bat the ball into the net? It struck me immediately after the goal had been scored but didn't bring it up until now.

Not a 100% sure on the rule but I had a look at the goal again and am ceratin it was not a fist. He makes one after the ball has already been played but his contact with the ball was with his palm.

It was sound, open or closed hand are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

yop wrote: »
    It was sound, open or closed hand are sound.

Arite ok, thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I am sure someone posted this somewhere but I cannot find it. The link brings you to a very resolution 360 degree picture of everyone in Croke Park on Sunday. No need to login to Facebook to view and if you were at the match you will able to find yourself! Simply incredible.

http://fanpic.huggity.com/197-2013-eircom_gaa_final/app/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    As the dust settles and the voice recovers I'm feeling all the joys of Sunday. Getting over the line was the main aim and we did it, despite a poor enough game I couldn't be happier.

One thing I'd really like to point out is my experience of the many Mayo supporters I met Sunday after the match and later that night in the City pubs. Truly classic bunch of people passionate beyond belief for their county and after all the hard knocks they've taken they remain such loyal, dignified and gracious supporters. I have huge admiration for that, especially when I look over and hear some of the pure shíte talk out of a lot of 'neutrals' it's remarkable how even in bitter disappointment the Mayo folk keep such class about them.

True GAA people and I've no doubt your day will soon come and how you all deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Dublin
    Nice to see the winning captain call three cheers for the opponents in the hurling today, as is tradition.

Cluxton should take note that that's how it's done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Nice to see the winning captain call three cheers for the opponents in the hurling today, as is tradition.

Cry me a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw

It would probably best if he gave up being a successful goalie and just post sh*te on the internet, christ you're an inspiration :rolleyes:

Brilliant display from Clare, try enjoy a fantastic final without moaning tbf :)

Dublin
    Don't mean to be moaning, Cluxton is fantastic and the better team won.

Just thought it was bad form and have never seen it happen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Possibly the most cringeworthy thing in sport. "hip hip"... "hooraay" :o
    It's not a child's birthday party ffs.

Draw

He acknowledged Mayo and their efforts while proclaiming 'their day will come'.

Sweet Jesus some have little to moan about but by god it won't stop you. Just goes to show how good he is when this is how pathetic his critics become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Losing teams absolutely hate the 3 cheers. Its insincere and is used just to fill the gap of acknowledging the other team. Hate Hate Hate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If I'm not mistaken, Donnellan had to be reminded by the President not to forget Cork :pac:

• Advertisement

Draw
    I think the three cheers thing is stupid. Do the losing team really want it? I doubt it. I think Cluxton's way of commiserating with Mayo was more appropriate. Simple, understated and no fake cheers. Just remind them that they're still a great team, that their day will come and that's it. No need for anything else after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Draw
    I think the hip hip hooray thing has become ironic and condescending. More surprised none of the interweb "neutrals" has taken the Dublin captain to task for nor using the cupla focal.
    One week anniversary. Will watch the match again. Sweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think they should get rid of the speech from the winning captain altogether.
    It's just cringe - straight from Fr. Ted.
    I'd like to thank Mattie for making the sandwiches etc.

Just go up and collect the cup. Raise it high. Lap of honour and off home.
    I do not care who did the stat analysis either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can tell you now that Mattie doesn't appreciate your attitude.

Making sangiches all year he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw
    I didn't think they'd be allowed white bread anymore with all this focus on diets and performance :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Matties a qualified newtrishionist!

• Advertisement

Draw
    I quite like the captain's speech. It shows the emotion and passion and what it means to the team.

It would not translate well into other sports (where they are paid professionals with little/no true connection to the club) I think. I'm not saying that footballers, rugby players, etc. do not love their teams. I'm sure they do. But there's no way they could have as deep a connection to the county, the club, the parish. This is what the GAA is all about. Captain's speeches for amateur football clubs and so on are also fine, because they DO possess a connection to their club (it's probably their local one).

But for the biggest stages, for the absolute pinnacle of the game, the speeches would only work for the GAA. I think they are a fine feature of the game and while yeah, some of them can be a bit OTT at times, they are something I find endearing and something that can live on long in the memory.

Though that said, I'm sure Bryan Cullen will forever regret "See ya in Coppers!!!" for the rest of his days... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'd like to see them bring in a protocol where the only thanking done is to
    The players,
    the managers and selectors
    the opposing team
    the sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Dublin

Thats a load of bollix in fairness. If anything Cluxton more than acknowledged Mayo enough at the end of his speech, not patronising us by doing that cliche. Solid speech for a lad who obviously doesn't like the limelight

Draw
    robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd like to see them bring in a protocol where the only thanking done is to
    The players,
    the managers and selectors
    the opposing team
    the sponsors.

The fans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The fans ?

Oops forgot them, Yes.
    With the size of backroom teams now, it destroys the speeches thanking everyone of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I think they should get rid of the speech from the winning captain altogether.
    It's just cringe - straight from Fr. Ted.
    I'd like to thank Mattie for making the sandwiches etc.

Just go up and collect the cup. Raise it high. Lap of honour and off home.
    I do not care who did the stat analysis either.

Keep the speech, bring back the pitch invasion, get rid of the tinsel, the smoke and the euro-pop blasting over the speakers.

And get fooking rid of Hecthaaar.

Draw
    robbiezero wrote: »
    Oops forgot them, Yes.
    With the size of backroom teams now, it destroys the speeches thanking everyone of them.

Yeah agreed .. Cluxton's speech was grand imo .. thanked Jim & backroom team as a unit .. contrast that with Pat Donnellans speech on Saturday .. once he went down the road of naming the backroom individually he was creating the risk of omitting someone ... hence the sandwich lady and the lad that undoes the knot in the football boots getting a mention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Draw
    As the dust settles and the voice recovers I'm feeling all the joys of Sunday. Getting over the line was the main aim and we did it, despite a poor enough game I couldn't be happier.

One thing I'd really like to point out is my experience of the many Mayo supporters I met Sunday after the match and later that night in the City pubs. Truly classic bunch of people passionate beyond belief for their county and after all the hard knocks they've taken they remain such loyal, dignified and gracious supporters. I have huge admiration for that, especially when I look over and hear some of the pure shíte talk out of a lot of 'neutrals' it's remarkable how even in bitter disappointment the Mayo folk keep such class about them.

True GAA people and I've no doubt your day will soon come and how you all deserve it.

I'd have to second this. Probably the nicest bunch of supporters I've come across in a long time.

I was on my own in Croker and managed to chat to a half dozen Mayo lads before during and after.
    Great banter, lots of slagging and reminiscing of AI's of past.

It honestly made winning Sam a little bittersweet for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw

I would hate to be watching a player lift a trophy and ask for 3 cheers because I lost . I would rather be thanked for giving them a good game and being told I can see you back here again in 12 months because you are part of a good team . I wouldn't want people cheering / hip hip hooray because I lost at the final hurdle .

Draw
    I would hate to be watching a player lift a trophy and ask for 3 cheers because I lost . I would rather be thanked for giving them a good game and being told I can see you back here again in 12 months because you are part of a good team . I wouldn't want people cheering / hip hip hooray because I lost at the final hurdle .

Exactly, plus if the posters complaining about his lack of hip-hips bothered to watch back after the final whistle, they would see Cluxton personally and genuinely telling Aidan O'Shea and co. to keep the head up. I think players appreciate that one to one gesture more than that lousy hip hip hooray crap.

Like I said above, some people will find anything to moan about when there is nothing else.

Exactly, plus if the posters complaining about his lack of hip-hips bothered to watch back after the final whistle, they would see Cluxton personally and genuinely telling Aidan O'Shea and co. to keep the head up. I think players appreciate that one to one gesture more than that lousy hip hip hooray crap.

Like I said above, some people will find anything to moan about when there is nothing else.

Nobody from Mayo can moan about the ref, cluxton or anything else, our own players and manager threw it away all by themselves.
    Don't want cheers , want Sam Maguire!!!

Dublin
    he should have given three cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Why?

Draw
    Nobody from Mayo can moan about the ref, cluxton or anything else, our own players and manager threw it away all by themselves.
    Don't want cheers , want Sam Maguire!!!

Oh I know appreciate that my response is mainly to people nit picking over a ridiculous cheer. As I posted earlier Mayo fans have been nothing but gracious and dignified despite the raw disappointment, it's these so called 'neutrals' doing all the whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw

Well he didn't, I seriously doubt a player wants to hear that, he showed respect Mayo received applause, what they really wanted was Sam and possibly would have wanted him to shove his hip hips

I guarantee you that the next time these teams play the Mayo management team won't say '' remember last time lads, they never even gave us a hip hip ''

• Advertisement
Advertisement