Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    Syferus wrote: »
    Where did I say I wanted Barry Moran to start, Seligeheit? The point was simply that any combination of Mayo's three main midfielders is a better unit than any two of Dublin's. Barry Moran would be starting for Dublin in a heartbeat.

On a different topic - MDM has his work cut out to win an All-Star, nevermind PotY.

Agreed!

Cavanagh will surely get one cos they'll aim to have one representative from every semi-finalist

Of course they may cop out and put him in HF line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Draw
    If Mayo start the Final with the same slowness and lack of cohesion they showed in the game against Tyrone, they will be dead and buried by half time. Tyrone didn't punish their slow start enough and paid the price when Mayo ripped into them in the second half.

Dublin will punish a slow start worse than any other team at the moment.

Dublin also showed great mental strength in the semi-final against Kerry. There are very few teams out there who could concede 3 goals and be 5 points down against a marauding Kerry side, and still claw and fight to get back in the game and then go on and win it (and win it well).

It is still so hard to call. So, so hard to call. If Mayo's A-Game is on and they don't start slow and if Dublin bring their own very impressive A-Game to the fore and are able to absorb Mayo's attacks, we're in for a cracker.

Another decisive issue is the sub's bench. Dublin have a second team waiting on the bench. In the game against Kerry, Dublin were able to call upon Bastick, McMahon, McManamon, O'Gara and Rock. Also on the bench were Supple (a worthy successor whenever Clucko decides to hand up his gloves), Carthy, Nolan, Micky Fitz, Daly and Cullen. That is some bench to have. And in the past few games, the likes of Bastick, McManamon, Rock and O'Gara have been game changers to bring on. Being able to unleash such quality on a game with fresh legs at crucial stages has been instrumental in Dublin's successes. I think the hugely strong bench could just be what swings it for Dublin. Any of those on the bench (with a few exceptions) could easily be starters; such is the quality and strength of depth of the Dublin squad.

This will be a tight, tight game. No more than 2 points in it either way in the end. I just think that Dublin's bench will be the Rock (:D) upon which Mayo perish. To be able to have such quality waiting in reserve is a huge advantage. Especially Kevin McManamon. The man is the definition of Super-Sub at this stage and hopefully will have a decisive say in the final like he did 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dublin
    Mayo have a platoon of quality backs and midfielders on the bench, Dublin have a bunch of good forwards on theirs. Not a huge gap between the benches at all.

The only worry for me would be Dean Rock coming on and producing something special, I'd expect the rest of Dublin's bench to well marshalled by Mayo's own options, certainly well enough that they won't have the decisive say. Kevin McM isn't going to have the space to sucker punch Mayo like he's done to Kerry twice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Draw
    (and lads, just because Paudi's died let's not start re-christening the Breaffy boys O'Ses in his honour, all right?) and indeed Barry Moran in place of either of them too.

Apologies. On September 23rd, I am checking myself into the Blackrock Clinic to have my crippling case of O'Se/O'Shea Brothersitis on the brain cured. It won't be pleasant, but it has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    To be fair MDMC and his superb play on the ball when outnumbered 3 on 1 to set up McMennimans goal is the reason we're talking about a Dublin Mayo final here and not Mayo Kerry. He's been excellent in a number of games and while not as dominant as Aidan, he's a fair opponent and better than SOS.

Have to laugh at the league being completely downplayed. Someone says Dublin have never played against the excellent half backs Mayo have. When its pointed out that Boyle Vaughan and Keegan played in the league then it's dismissed as only league. These lads don't suddenly become bad players during the league and while it's obviously not as important as championship, its still our second competition and very relevant. Dublin have been the team of the year since the very get go, and its scary to think they've annihilated teams despite missing chance after chance in attack and are worthy favs, however slight. Mayo in turn have put up the best performance in Croker for quite a time and a reproduction of that would make a loss unthinkable. Going to be an amazing final between two footballing sides

The league is good as an overall gauge of what teams are like and what they may be like going into the summer.
    But you cannot identify individual match ups in league games and extrapolate that they will be repeated in September, there are just so many variables in that six months that make such comparisons unreliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    Dublin and Mayo were important games in the league this year. There was a bit of a cut to them. Even after the second game Horan was claiming that Mayo did well against a full strength Dublin team considering all Mayo's injuries and missing players, even though Dublin were missing Alan Brogan, Rory O'Carroll, Rock and Mccarthy.
    It was a game Horan and Mayo wanted to win and there was a bit if down play afterwards.

But Rory O'Carroll makes a big difference at FB for Dublin, after MDMA he is a player with no replacement on the field or on the bench.

We saw in those games that AOS on the run was too much for Brennan and O'Connor was flying, Conroy was a handful too but I hope he can be managed if his marker plays out ahead of him.

At the Tyrone game I switched from thinking AOS was better than SOS, I though AOS did little when Tyrone were on top but SOS had a great game overall. AOS came into it more when Mayo were on top but SOS showed more character when needed IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dublin
    Stoner wrote: »
    Dublin and Mayo were important games in the league this year. There was a bit of a cut to them. Even after the second game Horan was claiming that Mayo did well against a full strength Dublin team considering all Mayo's injuries and missing players, even though Dublin were missing Alan Brogan, Rory O'Carroll, Rock and Mccarthy.
    It was a game Horan and Mayo wanted to win and there was a bit if down play afterwards.

But Rory O'Carroll makes a big difference at FB for Dublin, after MDMA he is a player with no replacement on the field or on the bench.

We saw in those games that AOS on the run was too much for Brennan and O'Connor was flying, Conroy was a handful too but I hope he can be managed if his marker plays out ahead of him.

At the Tyrone game I switched from thinking AOS was better than SOS, I though AOS did little when Tyrone were on top but SOS had a great game overall. AOS came into it more when Mayo were on top but SOS showed more character when needed IMO.

If my memory serves me correct we were without Higgins, Moran and Dillion for the league semi. Cillian wasn't long back from injury either and was one of our best that day. Just saying them 3 players would make some difference to any team in Ireland.
    I won't take it away from Dublin though, you blitzed us in the first half after we had the better start. Myself and a few of the Mayo bucks left Croker that day saying you were a serious outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    If my memory serves me correct we were without Higgins, Moran and Dillion for the league semi. Cillian wasn't long back from injury either and was one of our best that day. Just saying them 3 players would make some difference to any team in Ireland.
    I won't take it away from Dublin though, you blitzed us in the first half after we had the better start. Myself and a few of the Mayo bucks left Croker that day saying you were a serious outfit.

Let's be honest, Moran not playing isn't going to be any great disadvantage to the team

Dublin
    Let's be honest, Moran not playing isn't going to be any great disadvantage to the team

Some very generic commentary on Andy is coming out of the woodwork the last few weeks. If Andy is even 85% fit in two weeks' time he'll be Mayo's most important forward with COC likely gone. He is the main play-making forward on the Mayo team and Mayo will need that sort of invention to match Dublin's team of stars up front.

To be clear, he has had a second injury on his previously injured leg the last month, hence all the bandaging underneath his sock and it has contributed handsomely to his performances in the Donegal and Tyrone games.

I'd safely say he was healthier in Connacht and his performances in those appearances bear that out.

If Andy is even remotely close to being healthy he is a no-brainer start and Horan has clearly been trying to play him into match-fitness the last two months, probably with the AI final in mind.

Andy not being fit enough to start on the 22nd would be a huge blow to Mayo and even more so when coupled with COC's likely absence. Playing him in a more central role where he doesn't have to beat someone for pace for balls seems like a smart move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    To be fair MDMC and his superb play on the ball when outnumbered 3 on 1 to set up McMennimans goal is the reason we're talking about a Dublin Mayo final here and not Mayo Kerry. He's been excellent in a number of games and while not as dominant as Aidan, he's a fair opponent and better than SOS.

Have to laugh at the league being completely downplayed. Someone says Dublin have never played against the excellent half backs Mayo have. When its pointed out that Boyle Vaughan and Keegan played in the league then it's dismissed as only league. These lads don't suddenly become bad players during the league and while it's obviously not as important as championship, its still our second competition and very relevant. Dublin have been the team of the year since the very get go, and its scary to think they've annihilated teams despite missing chance after chance in attack and are worthy favs, however slight. Mayo in turn have put up the best performance in Croker for quite a time and a reproduction of that would make a loss unthinkable. Going to be an amazing final between two footballing sides

Spot on HH. The league form is clearly important, even if not 'pound for pound' relevant as such.

Although i wouldnt read too much into Mayo's destruction of Donegal, as Donegal have had that coming all year, it just happened to Mayo that gave it to them. I persoanlly think that if any of Kerry/Dublin/Cork had got Donegal from the draw, Donegal would have been well beaten.

Very hard game to call as i cant split them. Extra time and penalties may be needed :)

• Advertisement

Draw
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    Sure you were missing some great lads alright, I was more making the point that Horan was gauging things from the league and that Mayo wanted the win and the league was important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dublin

I was getting at the fact that a fit Moran was a huge loss. A lot of people are saying he shouldn't start and there is an argument to made for that. I think he should because even if he isn't 100% he brings influence to that team, you need someone like him for a game of this importance. Also, who's the say he won't come up with the goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Will Moran be that much fitter that he becomes Mayo's go to man again? I'm sceptical tbh. I think we'll get a repeat performance from him in the final, should he play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dublin
    Stoner wrote: »

Although league form is important, you would have said that Dublin had no chance against Mayo last year if you took league form into account and the championship encounter bore no resemblance to the beating they took in Castlebar. In fact, the abandoned game saw Dublin well in the ascendancy until the fog saved Mayo.
    Teams gear their preparations differently and it's more than possible that Mayo's focus was to stay in division 1 prior to preparing for a tough encounter against Galway in May. Dublin seemed well ahead of the opposition early in the season. Are they still ahead? We will know in a couple of weeks.

Draw
    Panrich wrote: »
    Although league form is important, you would have said that Dublin had no chance against Mayo last year if you took league form into account and the championship encounter bore no resemblance to the beating they took in Castlebar. In fact, the abandoned game saw Dublin well in the ascendancy until the fog saved Mayo.
    Teams gear their preparations differently and it's more than possible that Mayo's focus was to stay in division 1 prior to preparing for a tough encounter against Galway in May. Dublin seemed well ahead of the opposition early in the season. Are they still ahead? We will know in a couple of weeks.
    Last year in the league is when we got to see the new Mayo for the first time IMHO.

Dublin
    corny wrote: »
    Will Moran be that much fitter that he becomes Mayo's go to man again? I'm sceptical tbh. I think we'll get a repeat performance from him in the final, should he play.

Zero way you could even know that, I highly doubt even the Mayo management know how exactly he's going to shape up in two weeks' time right now.

He's not going to have the burst he had in 2011 or 2012 but if his secondary injury subsides he can still find plenty of ways to be effective in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Draw
    DazMarz wrote: »
    If Mayo start the Final with the same slowness and lack of cohesion they showed in the game against Tyrone, they will be dead and buried by half time. Tyrone didn't punish their slow start enough and paid the price when Mayo ripped into them in the second half.

Dublin will punish a slow start worse than any other team at the moment.

Dublin also showed great mental strength in the semi-final against Kerry. There are very few teams out there who could concede 3 goals and be 5 points down against a marauding Kerry side, and still claw and fight to get back in the game and then go on and win it (and win it well).

It is still so hard to call. So, so hard to call. If Mayo's A-Game is on and they don't start slow and if Dublin bring their own very impressive A-Game to the fore and are able to absorb Mayo's attacks, we're in for a cracker.

Another decisive issue is the sub's bench. Dublin have a second team waiting on the bench. In the game against Kerry, Dublin were able to call upon Bastick, McMahon, McManamon, O'Gara and Rock. Also on the bench were Supple (a worthy successor whenever Clucko decides to hand up his gloves), Carthy, Nolan, Micky Fitz, Daly and Cullen. That is some bench to have. And in the past few games, the likes of Bastick, McManamon, Rock and O'Gara have been game changers to bring on. Being able to unleash such quality on a game with fresh legs at crucial stages has been instrumental in Dublin's successes. I think the hugely strong bench could just be what swings it for Dublin. Any of those on the bench (with a few exceptions) could easily be starters; such is the quality and strength of depth of the Dublin squad.

This will be a tight, tight game. No more than 2 points in it either way in the end. I just think that Dublin's bench will be the Rock (:D) upon which Mayo perish. To be able to have such quality waiting in reserve is a huge advantage. Especially Kevin McManamon. The man is the definition of Super-Sub at this stage and hopefully will have a decisive say in the final like he did 2 years ago.

Dublin haven't been starting games well this year. It's taken a good while for them to get going. 1-2(Kildare),Meath&Cork games,3 goals(Kerry) Dublin were behind early and I think at half time v Meath/Kerry.
    I agree however that if both teams start well it could be a cracker. From a Dublin side I just hope the make more of the chances created, use the better man etc etc. I can see both teams scoring goals and Dublin racking up 17-18 points. Depending on the foul count by the Dublin defence in free scoring positions I cant see Mayo scoring that many points.

Dublin by 4 (with help from the bench)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

The first day in the league Dublin weren't missing really any of their nailed on starters starters except for McAuley and Connolly. Mayo were missing Cunniffe, SOS, Dillon, A Moran, COC and Freeman, with AOS playing at CF.

In the league semi Dublin were missing O'Carroll and Kilkenny with Mayo missing Cunniffe, Higgins, Dillon, A Moran, Freeman and again had AOS playing at CF. So I'd say Dublin had the slight advantage in that. Also look at the subs coming on; Dublin: McManamon, Bastick, Cullen, Fitzsimons. Mayo: Feeney, Gallagher, Murphy, Regan and Walsh.

It's a firm belief that teams look for different things form the league. Dublin have a team with a mixture of old and new coming together looking for confidence and a good run in the league to help the team play more games together and gel. Mayo were looking to find one or two new players and rehabilitate a couple of others (we did ok on this front Barrett, Cunniffe, Carolan and SOS all brought on form last year).
    Mayo were in the middle of heavy training to get them to start at Salthill and peak in Sept. Dublin were on a different schedule.

No doubt Dublin are on form so far this year but really a 4-6 point gap in the league on cold and wet days doesn't matter too much come the business end of Sept. Ask Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Dublin

• Advertisement

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Dublin haven't been starting games well this year. It's taken a good while for them to get going. 1-2(Kildare),Meath&Cork games,3 goals(Kerry) Dublin were behind early and I think at half time v Meath/Kerry.
    I agree however that if both teams start well it could be a cracker. From a Dublin side I just hope the make more of the chances created, use the better man etc etc. I can see both teams scoring goals and Dublin racking up 17-18 points. Depending on the foul count by the Dublin defence in free scoring positions I cant see Mayo scoring that many points.

Dublin by 4 (with help from the bench)

I think this thread for the next two weeks is just going to be a back and fourth with Dublin fans suggesting how Dublin will win it and Mayo fans suggesting how they will.

Like this
    Mayo scored 16 v a very defensive Tyrone, 17 v Donegal, 21 v Roscommon, 16 v Galway
    They are well able to get points, and as we have heard all year Dublin's defence is the the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

A bit of craic for the Mayo supporters...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPXfs6lN7g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

They are well able to get points, and as we have head all year Dublin's defence is the the best in the world.

Are you missing a "far from" in that sentence?

Are you missing a "far from" in that sentence?
    Opps, yes, or a 'not'

I'll try again 'Dublin's defence is not the best in the world'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    A Dublin defence that conceded 3-3 in the openeing 20 mins against Kerry, restricted them to a further 8 points for the remaining 50 odd minutes. In some respects that opening salvo from Kerry has served the defensive make up of Dublin the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    A Dublin defence that conceded 3-3 in the openeing 20 mins against Kerry, restricted them to a further 8 points for the remaining 50 odd minutes. In some respects that opening salvo from Kerry has served the defensive make up of Dublin the world of good

I would agree with you on that . It also says alot for a team to concede three goals in the opening 20 mins. and still go on to win a game . What ever happens on the 22nd it is definitely going to be a cracker .

• Advertisement

Very possibly true. But that thinking relies on two things 1) Will Gavin start with O'Sullivan at CB, which was the biggest improvement in the back? 2) Will Dublin get the same amount of ball as they did against Kerry in the second half?

The other argument is that Kerry believed their best possibility of winning was to get a good early lead, hit Dublin hard, hope they buckle and then ride out the rest of the game. Kerry didn't get the same amount of possession in the second half and didn't use what they had efficiently. They hadn't the legs to pressure the kick-outs as effectively as in the 1st half or scavenge ball around the middle. They hadn't the options off the bench to change the momentum towards the end of the game.

To be honest it probably was a bit of both. But one thing can be taken for sure Mayo will stick to the end and have a decent bench to spring (Feeney, Carolan, B Moran, Keane, Conroy/COC, Doherty).

Draw
    kevmy85 wrote: »
    The first day in the league Dublin weren't missing really any of their nailed on starters starters except for McAuley and Connolly. Mayo were missing Cunniffe, SOS, Dillon, A Moran, COC and Freeman, with AOS playing at CF.

In the league semi Dublin were missing O'Carroll and Kilkenny with Mayo missing Cunniffe, Higgins, Dillon, A Moran, Freeman and again had AOS playing at CF. So I'd say Dublin had the slight advantage in that. Also look at the subs coming on; Dublin: McManamon, Bastick, Cullen, Fitzsimons. Mayo: Feeney, Gallagher, Murphy, Regan and Walsh.

It's a firm belief that teams look for different things form the league. Dublin have a team with a mixture of old and new coming together looking for confidence and a good run in the league to help the team play more games together and gel. Mayo were looking to find one or two new players and rehabilitate a couple of others (we did ok on this front Barrett, Cunniffe, Carolan and SOS all brought on form last year).
    Mayo were in the middle of heavy training to get them to start at Salthill and peak in Sept. Dublin were on a different schedule.

No doubt Dublin are on form so far this year but really a 4-6 point gap in the league on cold and wet days doesn't matter too much come the business end of Sept. Ask Kildare.
    I agree, we were missing Alan Brogan too though. Horan said Dublin had a full team to limit the impact, my point was that it was not a full team.

If you think the Dublin backs are shaky with O'Carroll in the team you should see them with him out if, we tried Brady and Cooper at number three and apart from Cooper vs the slight nippy Down forwards it was a disaster. Also mcAuley is the most important player on the Dublin team now IMHO, when have no real options on the bench at number 3 and 8/9. We can handle changes at half back and all six forward positions but if you wanted to remove two players from Dublin to have the maximum negative impact on the team it would be to take out O'Carroll and McAuley.
    Mayo have some great back up in the squad, more balanced across the team.
    It's funny last year it was all about Moran and A Brogan being fit to play. This year both teams are better now having gotten over the loss of those two former key players. Both sides would take them back fit in a second, but the teams function without them now.

Agreed.

McAuley is the main man for Dublin. Limit his influence and cut out the short kickouts and you go a long way to stopping Dublin.

If we lose Cafferkey I think we're in the same boat as Dublin regards FB. A couple of the younger could make a go of it (Keane, McHale) but I'd shiver if we lost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

kevmy85 wrote: »
    Agreed.

McAuley is the main man for Dublin. Limit his influence and cut out the short kickouts and you go a long way to stopping Dublin.

If we lose Cafferkey I think we're in the same boat as Dublin regards FB. A couple of the younger could make a go of it (Keane, McHale) but I'd shiver if we lost him.
    Mchale Im pretty sure did very well in his 15 min cameos in the league Think no goals and wasn't bested by anyone He is a bit quicker Mchale but Cafferkey has a full career of square watching behind him Agree on Mccauley but also on rewatching Bernard Brogan The points he got against Kerry, him and just a few other forwards would get them in a packed Croagh Park in a high pressure game Cant call this game I see valid points for nearly every outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I was thinking that during the game. After the 20 minutes Dublin reverted to the good old days of the half forward line and two midfielders funnelling back to the 40. Kerry found it hard to create a chance when we got back in numbers and they went side to side more than once. Suits Dublin to defend like this because they've fine athletes who are hard to beat one on one.

Don't know if we'll continue that way in the final though.

• Advertisement

Dublin
    I would assume if Cafferkey was out the FB line would be some mix of Cunniffe, Higgins and Barrett. Don't see why you'd go about de-frosting players that haven't really featured in this year's championship in an AI final of all games.

All hypothetical, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dublin
    Does Setanta need an extra subscription for the Final? I'm in Korea and only pub in the city has Setanta. It wouldn't work for the Hurling final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Draw
    Joe McQuillan appointed as referee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    sgarvan wrote: »

thats a disgrace! cant imagine mayo fans being too happy with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Draw

Why?

He was the referee in last years semi final between Dublin and Mayo and I didn't hear too much complaining then about him

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin

Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    Why?

He was the referee in last years semi final between Dublin and Mayo and I didn't hear too much complaining then about him

ask that question in the mayo thread...and they will answer you.

last year was a game in which he did everything possible to shaft Mayo. thats two times now he has gotten dublin finals, he refs Dublin training and challenge games, has connections to Dublin and lots of other reasons - too much familarity with Dublin.

he should not be reffing it, end of.

Horan got his way. He'll be delighted with this.
    They got away with blue murder in the last 10 minutes against the Dubs last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    Why?

Exactly.

The Mayo lads are getting their excuses in early with this outrageous decision from the GAA :rolleyes:

ask that question in the mayo thread...and they will answer you.

last year was a game in which he did everything possible to shaft Mayo. thats two times now he has gotten dublin finals, he refs Dublin training and challenge games, has connections to Dublin and lots of other reasons - too much familarity with Dublin.

he should not be reffing it, end of.

Did you read that on the internet?

Good man. That was an outright lie by Horan last year. McQuillan never set foot in Dublin camp, never reffed any of their A v B challenge games. This was confirmed by Pat McEnaney at the time. Gilroy wouldnt stoop as low as Horan to even comment on the lies.

Horan said during the week he'd be happy with McQuillian. Hopefully Dublin will object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin
    Dublins personal ref get its :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Mayo have a platoon of quality backs and midfielders on the bench, Dublin have a bunch of good forwards on theirs. Not a huge gap between the benches at all.

I think Kevin Nolan, Darren Daly, Phily McMahon, Kevin Nolan (AI Final MOTM 2011) and arguably Bryan Cullen (of 5 years ago!) might have something to say about that.

To others, McQuillan also reffed Dublin/Kildare this year. I suppose that's the only reason the Lilywhites didn't win that day as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Draw
    God, from this thread and the hurling thread I am seriously cringing at some of the bull**** on here.

The referee won't matter, the best team will win and that will be that.

Blaming the referee who is there in good faith and in a voluntary capacity is just sad to be honest. The match is 2 weeks away for gods sake!

If Dublin do lose I won't be looking to blame the referee, i'll be congratulating Mayo and their supporters for their victory.

/rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Kerry started all this sh1te two years ago blaming the referee because they're bad losers. And now rather than analysing the football in a match after every game its lets tot up a list of perceived grievances about ref decisions, whataboutery - as if that can reverse the result.

The same as last year Mayo will now try to pressure the referee in advance of the game.

I think Kevin Nolan, Darren Daly, Phily McMahon, Kevin Nolan (AI Final MOTM 2011) and arguably Bryan Cullen (of 5 years ago!) might have something to say about that.

To others, McQuillan also reffed Dublin/Kildare this year. I suppose that's the only reason the Lilywhites didn't win that day as well :rolleyes:

Well you named Nolan twice, and McMahon may actually start replacing the young O' Brien, and Cullen is gone, so you have only managed to name Daly, who I know noting about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    A week and a half from the game and people are complaining about the ref, f**k sake lads cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Draw
    Might as well complain now, because if it bites them in the arse and they complain after the event, the whole:

"Sore losers"
    "Sour Grapes"
    "Can't take your beating" lines will be dragged out regardless of the referee's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Surprised they appointed him considering he's perceived, fairly or otherwise, as being pro-Dublin. Come to think of it, there aren't many alternatives. Coldrick hasn't featured this year, Duffy isn't great, Deegan did the semi-final though I'm not sure that's relevant anymore (some Dubs might've complained if he was appointed to ref the final anyway considering some of the incidents in the Mayo/Tyrone match) etc. I've changed my mind, McQuillan's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Draw
    Well you named Nolan twice, and McMahon may actually start replacing the young O' Brien, and Cullen is gone, so you have only managed to name Daly, who I know noting about.

Cullen hasn't gone any where. He started the Cork game.

Daly started pretty much every single league game for us this year & a couple of early Leinster games. He did very well. He fell down in the pecking order when the Ballymun lads & Kevin Nolan came back into the squad, but he is deffo someone we can call on if need be. The only thing that would worry me is his lack of recent match day experience.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Daly is not bad in all fairness, Cullen is playing and training well, but neither could manage being number three or hold down a midfield position.
    It's Barry Cahill that's gone father, an excusable mix up of the BCs

Advertisement