Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

First and foremost I think this could be the best final in years. Both are outstanding teams and deserve to be in the final - the Mayo power and hunger versus Donegal and the Dublin character versus Kerry were the two standout memories for me so far this year.
    In terms of the game, I fancy Mayo, purely because they have a bit of steel and focus about them this year that feels like they will do anything they need to in order to win. I think they have the better, more experienced management team. I don't buy into the talk of CoC being crucial - Mayo have lots of scoring power in the team and I think so long as Freeman can continue his form from the semi final they won't have a problem from free taking. And as already mentioned on the thread, Conroy would be the man to come in instead of O'Connor and he was outstanding when he came on against Tyrone.
    Dublin will have taken a lot out of the Kerry game, especially the ability to stay in the game no matter what happens, so I expect this one to go right to the wire.
    But for me it will be Mayo by 2 points - I just hope it will be another cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think GB will start. He got a roasting off Colm Cooper alright, but we're not playing Kerry again & there's only one Colm Cooper, thank God.

For me the reason he will start is taht Bastic doesn't have 70 minutes in him. If we had another midfielder there is no doubt Brennan would not be playing. O'Sullivan is a far better CB.

Think only 1 change with McMahon in for O'Brien.

Rock will be very hard done by but over the season the probably starting 6 have all shown themselves. Rock could come in for any one of them, likewise Kev Mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Draw
    Neeson wrote: »
    Sunday will be a bad day for the refs. Between McQuillan getting this and Webb getting the Manchester derby!

Yeah bad day for mind games from whatever set of fans subscribe to that tripe.

Pile of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    First and foremost I think this could be the best final in years. Both are outstanding teams and deserve to be in the final - the Mayo power and hunger versus Donegal and the Dublin character versus Kerry were the two standout memories for me so far this year.
    In terms of the game, I fancy Mayo, purely because they have a bit of steel and focus about them this year that feels like they will do anything they need to in order to win. I think they have the better, more experienced management team. I don't buy into the talk of CoC being crucial - Mayo have lots of scoring power in the team and I think so long as Freeman can continue his form from the semi final they won't have a problem from free taking. And as already mentioned on the thread, Conroy would be the man to come in instead of O'Connor and he was outstanding when he came on against Tyrone.
    Dublin will have taken a lot out of the Kerry game, especially the ability to stay in the game no matter what happens, so I expect this one to go right to the wire.
    But for me it will be Mayo by 2 points - I just hope it will be another cracker.
    If it is close with 20 mins left then those last 20 minutes will hopefully be unreal action. Would like to see fast paced high scoring game with no controversial incidents, just two teams closely matched giving 100% and one falling over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    If McQuillan lets the game flow and isnt too finickity then this will be the best final in a long long time.

2 really attacking teams, 2 teams that play football the correct way, 2 teams with huge respect for one another, 2 teams that dont go out of their way to foul, 2 teams that dont use any media mind game bollox. It'll be a classic lads. And i cant wait for it.

The best team will win, end of story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Draw
    From a Dublin point of view I can see similar changes to the Kerry game. I think Gavin will start with the same 15. If things go belly up and GB is having a mare, he wont be afraid to change it. Agree with a previous poster that Bastic hasn't got 70mins. Nothing wrong with the 1st 15 as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Conroy won't start if Cillian does
    Conroy definitely starting.
    If COC makes it, Andy Moran will be dropped!

Be a big risk if COC starts. Could see it ending up a situation like Sheflin or Alan Brogan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    Conroy definitely starting.
    If COC makes it, Andy Moran will be dropped!

I assure you, he's not going dropping Andy at this stage

It'll be the same 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Draw
    Conroy in for Cillian O'Connor will be the one change in the Mayo team. COC is not fit and why risk him when you have a replacement to come in who was excellent the last day?

For Dublin the only possible change I could see is Philly McMahon coming in at corner back though in all likelihood it will be the same starting 15.

This game is a really hard one to call!

Dublin
    Well by all accounts O'Connor has been training away, practising frees non-stop and would have played in the A's v B's at the weekend. He'll start unless he's had a setback

They're not going to have him on the bench in a match like this and risk bringing him on only to go off again

Reminds me a bit of Dermot Flanagan in 97. Came off after a few minutes after being a major doubt before the match. A moment of madness saw Maughan bring on a forward (Horan I think actually?) rather than a back and changed the whole team and STILL didn't put Mortimer on danger man Maurice Fitz. While saying it cost them the match is not certain but it had a detrimental effect. At least Conroy can be thrown straight in here, if anything happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Draw
    As a Dub I'm delighted to hear that COC is likely to be playing.

I'd rate Conroy as a better player than him anyway never mind with COC carrying his shoulder. There's a very good chance he'll have to be replaced in the first half anyway.

It's crazy from Mayo IMHO.

If I was James Horan I'd have spoken to Freeman after the semi final and told him that he was the man, that he was the best forward on the team and that he'd be kicking the right footed frees in the final.

I don't think putting an injured man on the field is good for Mayo from a psychological perspective really. It doesn't say much for the squad.

Dublin
    Well it's not as if they've been wrapping him in cotton wool from the semi right up until Sunday with the intention of feeding him with a dose of painkillers, saying an aul Hail Mary, throw him out there and see what happens

He'll have played a full contact A vs B match at the weekend and will be doing contact training all week. Horan is a shrewd operator he's not going to do anything daft.

Freeman will have been practicing frees anyway, like all year, so it's not as if COC has to come off and Mayo are goosed in that aspect.

Very easy for the man on the street to say it's a daft/ great idea. Only management/ team doctors are in a position to assess that and Cillian himself. We'll see all sorts of opinions/theories thrown about now (not talking about you btw!!), when the team is named and O'Connor is given the no. 13 position but at the end of the day management do know best.

I agree though I think Conroy is a bigger threat to ye, but he could well see plenty of gametime anyhow. Be careful what you wish for now, he's gotten goals all year and believe me there's goals to be got Sunday.

Very easy for the man on the street to say it's a daft/ great idea. Only management/ team doctors are in a position to assess that and Cillian himself. We'll see all sorts of opinions/theories thrown about now (not talking about you btw!!), when the team is named and O'Connor is given the no. 13 position but at the end of the day management do know best.

And that's in relation to everything. usually enjoy reading the build up to championship games but don't read much in teh lead up to the all Ireland because all you get is crap about the ref, favourable Dublin calls, Mayo having not won in so long, injuries etc...

Just roll on Sunday afternoon and let them at it.

Thankfully Horan (Apart from the Dionegal stuff) and Gavin talk sense and hopefully won't come out with any sh**e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Be careful what you wish for now, he's gotten goals all year and believe me there's goals to be got Sunday.

I wasn't going to do it until you told me too! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Draw
    Speaking of goals. This looks interesting. Odds for Sunday

Bernard Brogan
    7/1

No Goalscorer
    9/1

Cillian O'Connor
    15/2

Paul Mannion
    15/2

Alan Freeman
    8/1

Paddy Andrews
    10/1

Michael Conroy
    10/1

Diarmuid Connolly
    11/1

Andy Moran
    12/1

Jack McCaffrey
    18/1

Donal Vaughan
    22/1

Paul Flynn
    22/1

Kevin McLoughlin
    25/1

Ciaran Kilkenny
    25/1

Alan Dillon
    25/1

MD MacAuley
    28/1

Keith Higgins
    28/1

Cian O'Sullivan
    50/1

Lee Keegan
    40/1

James McCarthy
    80/1

Seamus O'Shea
    40/1

Ger Brennan
    150/1

Bold players all stick out at great value. Haven't put a bet on us all year but so tempted with some of the odds about. Dubs 4-6 pts win @ 5/1 also looks tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Dublin
    AGC wrote: »
    And that's in relation to everything. usually enjoy reading the build up to championship games but don't read much in teh lead up to the all Ireland because all you get is crap about the ref, favourable Dublin calls, Mayo having not won in so long, injuries etc...

Just roll on Sunday afternoon and let them at it.

Thankfully Horan (Apart from the Dionegal stuff) and Gavin talk sense and hopefully won't come out with any sh**e

roll on sunday.. Should be a great game with the 2 best footballing sides in the country in the final...

I sincerely hope we are not talking about the ref @ the final whistle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Draw
    After the last two games i think the Dubs will tighten up at the back and Mayo will continue their counter attacking football to make this final a hard hitting tactical battle. The strength of the Dublin bench will likely prove the difference again and it could take a big turn point to swing the game for them (sending off perhaps). It will be intriguing final more than a classic i feel.

Dublin 1-14
    Mayo 1-10

Dublin
    My own 2c. Won't be posting here till Sunday i'd say so I'll throw out a prediction for the craic

I think Mayo will fly out of the blocks and race into an early sizeable lead with an early goal included. Think they'll tear straight into them from the off and cause serious early damage running directly at the Dublin defence. Saying that, I think Dublin will then steady the ship (probably an early change or 2, move COS back perhaps) and creep slowly back into it and be the better team by half time although still behind.

Think Dublin will also start the better in the second half, keep ticking at the scoreboard and lead coming into the last 15. It's then I can see Mayo's will to win and hunger coming to the fore and I think they'll play out of their skins for the last ten and will bring home Sam.

Going to go for Mayo 2-14 to Dublin 0-16 or something like that.

Genuinely believe this is Mayo's year and sheer hunger/ will to win/ belief will carry them over the line. They've been playing with super intensity all year and I just think they'll come through. It won't be easy of course

Like others hoping ref doesn't spoil it with daft decision- saying that i'd take Mayo 0-1 to 0-0 against about ten men :p

On another note- while a lot is made of Dublin's bench (with good reason they've some great options to spring) Mayo's isn't half bad either and could well win them the match. You have Barry Moran- an allstar, Richie Feeney- never let the side down, was brilliant when he came on last year I thought, Mickey C (if COC is fit), Doherty/ Varley/Coen (none are world beaters but have big games in them, Doherty was on fire earlier in year before injury, Coen made impressive cameos v Galway and Roscommon), Cathal Carolan (brilliant v Tyrone, was really impressed with him) and guys like Burke, Keane and McHale who are well up to it if the need arises.

We are looking at two very good all round squads going head to head here. The cliche 20 man game could certainly apply here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw
    No Dublin Goals is perhaps the boldest part of that prediction - especially if they keep running at goal the way they have all season! :D

• Advertisement

Dublin
    Cliste wrote: »
    No Dublin Goals is perhaps the boldest part of that prediction - especially if they keep running at goal the way they have all season! :D

I threw up the score for the craic I genuinely have no idea of course; you could be predicting it till the cows come home and you wouldn't come close.

Take 1-13 if you prefer.

But that's how I see the game going myself. Just a bit of fun

Mayo have a far better defence than anything Dublin have come up against though in fairness.

Dublin didn't score a goal against us last year by the way ;) Not proving a point just saying! There was no goal in fact! I know it's a different team and all this but it can happen again you know ;)

Anyhow, this thread is probably going to become a tit for tat between opposition fans over the next few days so I'll leave ye to it! :D

May the best team win, and enjoy everyone whether ye're lucky to be there or wherever ye watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bareller

One guarantee
    If Dublin win it'll be the down to ref
    If mayo win the ref had a gud game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bareller wrote: »
    One guarantee

You registered to impart that bit of wisdom on us. Fantastic!

corny wrote: »
    You registered to impart that bit of wisdom on us. Fantastic!

Indeed ! The only way is up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

One guarantee

is this Kevin Mc Stay?:)

Gael85 wrote: »
    is this Kevin Mc Stay?:)

No! I'm just bringing a bit of balance to the force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw

Well if ye lose on Sunday ya'll need to change your username to 'bottler' :pac:

Only kidding, it should be a good game.. I'm already getting excited :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Dublin
    no your not your talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone know if BBC NI are showing the match on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Dublin
    corny wrote: »
    Anyone know if BBC NI are showing the match on Sunday?
    No....Singapore Grand Prix on BBC1, Rugby League on BBC2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Dublin
    Word is that O'Connor will be starting. It's hard to see him kicking into an empty net this time around! Interesting to see who the Dubs will put on him if that's the case. Ger Brennan I think if he starts

naughto wrote: »
    no your not your talking rubbish

Really I'm talking rubbish !
    Ok try this on!

Mc Stays 2 points on refereeing decisions deciding games - claiming Mayo where hard done by for Murphys goal in last years final and the ref got it wrong in awarding a free for cluxtons final kick in 2011.

I'm not Kevin Mc Stay and I don't use my position in the media to try to influence a ref before a game.

If McStay was fair minded he would have used examples of big decisions in games not involving Sundays finalists. I fully accept he is from Mayo but due to the fact that he is working for the national broadcaster I feel he should be impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Frescati

Some great Mayo moments in this youtube video Mayo...In James we Trust http://youtu.be/qbwcmt9jVDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Dublin
    Word is that O'Connor will be starting. It's hard to see him kicking into an empty net this time around! Interesting to see who the Dubs will put on him if that's the case. Ger Brennan I think if he starts

Ger Brennan wasn't much good against Kerry. O'Connor would tear him apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw

I think Cooper will be on him, I remember in one of the league games Conroy lamped Cooper with one particularly late challenge, I think the two have a bit if a thing now.
    I'd stick Cooper on him to get out ahead of him I think he has him for speed, but Conroy would be too fast for brennan. I think we'd need to see how brennan is going sitting at number 6 with Mayo running at him. I'm expecting MDMA to attempt some face on standing tackles/turnovers, when they fail he is left facing the wrong way to track back so Brennan my be needed to stand up against the runners.

I think Mayo may start hard and fast but I don't see Dublin starting as slowly this time either

Kerry IMHO have been the best team either could have played this year, I think it will stand to Dublin beating them and would have stood to Mayo if they had beaten kerry.
    Tyrone by 6 is nothing new theses days so hopefully Dublin have learned that the slow starts are not good enough now, nearly got caught by kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Dublin didn't score a goal against us last year by the way ;) Not proving a point just saying! There was no goal in fact! I know it's a different team and all this but it can happen again you know ;)

Did score two this year though ;)

Draw
    Nice little piece about Mortimer in the score today. He'd be a handy sub if fit any integrated into the side

‘It’s only on gameday that you miss being out there’: Conor Mortimer at peace with Mayo exit (via TheJournal.ie) http://thescore.thejournal.ie/conor-mortimer-mayo-dublin-1085990-Sep2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Really I'm talking rubbish !
    Ok try this on!

Mc Stays 2 points on refereeing decisions deciding games - claiming Mayo where hard done by for Murphys goal in last years final and the ref got it wrong in awarding a free for cluxtons final kick in 2011.

I'm not Kevin Mc Stay and I don't use my position in the media to try to influence a ref before a game.

If McStay was fair minded he would have used examples of big decisions in games not involving Sundays finalists. I fully accept he is from Mayo but due to the fact that he is working for the national broadcaster I feel he should be impartial.

McStay pointed out in the semi-final about how Tyrone should have had a a penalty for a foot-block, and also about the score Mayo got after O'Shea (I think) hopped the ball twice.
    So he is happy to point out if Mayo get a bit of luck too.
    I actually think he's one of the better pundits.

Draw
    McStay pointed out in the semi-final about how Tyrone should have had a a penalty for a foot-block, and also about the score Mayo got after O'Shea (I think) hopped the ball twice.
    So he is happy to point out if Mayo get a bit of luck too.
    I actually think he's one of the better pundits.
    I don't mind him either but he has his Mayo hat on now with respect to the examples he is using and how they are received by a ref.

Mayo won well last year, but if McStay is looking for a good example of a ref ignoring stuff on the field he could mention Mayo's close out tactics last year. I think Dublin would have done the same but he needs to be fair IMO. But he has no need to look at the Tyrone game for examples.
    No ref is going to on the watch out for o'shea double hopping the ball as a result of his comments.
    He could mention AOS as someone who walks the line with refs too, not just O'Carroll and McMahon.
    Too selective IMO, mentioning the 2011 game too. He's definitely trying to influence things.
    He ignored the Dublin Mayo game last year for some reason. His attempts to balance his arguement are light, harmless things vs sinister actions that carry over , ignoring more obvious recent examples of when the two teams played.
    Not good really, Dublin fans might get another long explanation in the Herald about it as an attempt to keep his position there like the one after the kildare game in 2011. But he's played that card once already.
    It's a pity he has gone down this road, I like him as a commentator generally as he is very well informed. For all my moaning about Spillane over the years I never saw him try to influence a ref before, play the hype game like a cute kerry man alright but this is different stuff .
    I wonder will he be on live on Sunday, I'd rather not now, I don't think he is capable of being balanced.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Cluxton injured??

Stoner wrote: »
    Cluxton injured??

Been carrying a bit of an injury all year. Can't see him not starting. Reports came out of the same injury before the Kerry game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    That's the rumour.
    I heard rumblings last week about it.

We're lucky that we have possibly a number 2 that would walk into most county teams number 1 spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Draw
    Meh-dont think O Connor is that good from open play myself. If Mayo are depending on him as their biggest threat they re f**ked.
    He is a great free taker though.

Dublin
    harpsman wrote: »
    Meh-dont think O Connor is that good from open play myself. If Mayo are depending on him as their biggest threat they re f**ked.
    He is a great free taker though.

O Connor is a fine player imo..Not in the same league as the Gooch but who is?

Dublin
    If Cluxton is injured it really does change the dynamics of this game..

He is crucial to Dublin's strategy of retaining possession. His the best in the business @ taking kickouts..

• Advertisement

0028673 wrote: »
    If Cluxton is injured it really does change the dynamics of this game..

He is crucial to Dublin's strategy of retaining possession. His the best in the business @ taking kickouts..

He'll start.

Draw
    He might not take the long range frees though, good job Connelly stood up the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dublin
    Who is the reserve goalie.

any word on the mayo keepers who were injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Draw
    Kalyke wrote: »
    No....Singapore Grand Prix on BBC1, Rugby League on BBC2

GAA doesn't exist unless there's a northern team involved.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Who is the reserve goalie.

any word on the mayo keepers who were injured.

Supple, who is more than able.

• Advertisement
Advertisement