Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Draw
    0028673 wrote: »
    O Connor is a fine player imo..Not in the same league as the Gooch but who is?
    Good few players in between imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

irishgeo wrote: »
    Who is the reserve goalie.

any word on the mayo keepers who were injured.

I think Clarke is out. O'Malley apparently has a good chance of making the bench.

0028673 wrote: »
    O Connor is a fine player imo..Not in the same league as the Gooch but who is?

Two completely different type of players. Poor comparison. In any event if COC starts he'll play in the corner. I can't see Brennan going back there to pick him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

aidan24326 wrote: »
    GAA doesn't exist unless there's a northern team involved.

That's more than likely a rights issue rather than anything else

Stoner wrote: »
    I think Cooper will be on him, I remember in one of the league games Conroy lamped Cooper with one particularly late challenge, I think the two have a bit if a thing now.
    I'd stick Cooper on him to get out ahead of him I think he has him for speed, but Conroy would be too fast for brennan. I think we'd need to see how brennan is going sitting at number 6 with Mayo running at him. I'm expecting MDMA to attempt some face on standing tackles/turnovers, when they fail he is left facing the wrong way to track back so Brennan my be needed to stand up against the runners.

I think Mayo may start hard and fast but I don't see Dublin starting as slowly this time either

Kerry IMHO have been the best team either could have played this year, I think it will stand to Dublin beating them and would have stood to Mayo if they had beaten kerry.
    Tyrone by 6 is nothing new theses days so hopefully Dublin have learned that the slow starts are not good enough now, nearly got caught by kerry

Why is that ?
    Kerry are a team on the way down this last 2 years at least. they are nothing special.
    Dublin fans should be worried that it took them so long to put them away.

I'm not saying Tyrone were a better test for Mayo than Kerry were for Dublin either by the way, I'm just saying that you cannot say Dublin are in a better spot cos they beat Kerry, than Mayo are because they beat Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Frantic fans paying €5k for tickets to All-Ireland

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frantic-fans-paying-5k-for-tickets-to-allireland-29587047.html

what an incredible waste of money.

crazygeryy wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frantic-fans-paying-5k-for-tickets-to-allireland-29587047.html

No their not, there is some guy with tickets on ebay and the latest bid is €5k, that does not mean that the ad or the bid are actually real or that someone is going to pay that price for a ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Dublin
    crazygeryy wrote: »

crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Dublin
    bo-sco wrote: »
    As a Dub I'm delighted to hear that COC is likely to be playing.

I'd rate Conroy as a better player than him anyway never mind with COC carrying his shoulder.
    There's a very good chance he'll have to be replaced in the first half anyway.

It's crazy from Mayo IMHO.

If I was James Horan I'd have spoken to Freeman after the semi final and told him that he was the man, that he was the best forward on the team and that he'd be kicking the right footed frees in the final.

I don't think putting an injured man on the field is good for Mayo from a psychological perspective really. It doesn't say much for the squad.

I know it's your opinion and all, but in what universe is Conroy a better player than O'Connor? Thankfully the Mayo management aren't daft enough to think that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No their not, there is some guy with tickets on ebay and the latest bid is €5k, that does not mean that the ad or the bid are actually real or that someone is going to pay that price for a ticket

Correct and whoever is putting in those bids is dead right. Does my head in seeing people put tickets up on ebay etc... so making those unrealistic bids will hopefully force the seller to struggle off loading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

Dublin
    http://www.livegaelic.com/features/hill-16-dublin-quantifying-unfair-advantage

“Hill 16 is Dublin only” – Quantifying the Unfair Advantage

Whilst 31 Counties may be shouting for Mayo this Sunday, Dublin holds a distinct advantage playing in Croke Park.

As we look forward to the Sunday’s final, and the culmination of a fantastic season, the question of the Dubs’ Croke Park advantage rumbles on. Player differences aside, does Dublin have a distinct advantage playing in what has become their de facto home ground for championship football?

Redevelopment of Croke Park

There was a time in Croke Park when two terraces were available, the Dubs took Hill 16 and their opponents took the Canal End terrace. This provided both teams with equally opportunity to distract the opponent’s free-takers, avail of cheaper terrace tickets, and raise the volume within the Stadium with a collective voice.

With the redevelopment of Croke Park and the loss of the Canal End terrace, this balance was lost as the Dubs remained in control of the Hill. Also, given the need to maximise attendances and revenue, headquarters has become Dublin’s home ground for Championship football. Over the last six years the Dubs haven’t once moved outside the city in the Championship, playing all 32 matches in Croke Park. This is a logical response from the GAA in terms of revenue and attendances but does it confer other advantages on Dublin? The home advantage has been addressed numerous times so I thought it was time we looked at the other hard facts:

The Free Taking Advantage

In the last three seasons, the average free taking success rate across all teams in the football Championship is 65%. In Croke Park, Dublin have averaged a success rate of 66.66% of frees kicked into the Canal End whilst all their opponents have managed 65%. So far, so fair.
    However, when Dublin kick into the tranquil Hill 16 their average rises to 75.4% and their opponents’ drop to 59.32%. This provides a huge advantage to Dublin as it represents an increase of 10% in accuracy when kicking into the Hill whilst their opponents accuracy drops 5%. (Statistics from the @thevideoanalyst)

The Monetary Advantage – Ticket Cost

There are 13,200 available places in Hill 16. For numerous reasons (I’m sure we’ve all heard the stories), most supporters aren’t comfortable watching the game from Hill 16 when surrounded by some Dublin supporters. Therefore, Hill 16 is usually largely exclusively Dublin supporters as GAA fans choose to self-segregate. The cost of a Hill 16 ticket on Sunday is €40 whilst a seated ticket is €80. This difference means that Dublin supporters will spend €528,000 less for the same amount of tickets as Mayo this Sunday.

The Crowd advantage – Hill 16

The impact of the 16th man is often referred by the players and officials. The roar of a crowd can be the motivating factor in a player catching that last ball or blocking down that scoring opportunity. Sports arenas are noted for their decibel level and Croke Park is no different. Studies have also found that the decibel level of a seated crowd at a match averages at 110 while a terraced crowd reaches 120. The size and grouping of the supporters is also a factor. This also plays as a big factor for the Dubs as the Hill is the only terraced area and it is also the biggest collection of one team’s supporters.

So what can be done to address these issues?

Possible Solutions

A. Dedicate the Canal end to other teams (at Hill 16 prices)
    When playing against Dublin the Canal end should be dedicated to the opponent’s supporters at the same price as Hill 16 tickets. This gives both teams the same advantage in terms of free-taking, cheaper tickets and a collective voice.

B. Segregation in Hill 16 (50/50 split)
    Divide the Hill in two and give both sets of supporters the opportunity to take advantage of cheaper tickets and a collection voice. This would add colour and atmosphere and negate the issue of the free-taking into the Hill 16 end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Draw
    GBXI wrote: »
    I know it's your opinion and all, but in what universe is Conroy a better player than O'Connor? Thankfully the Mayo management aren't daft enough to think that!

From what I've seen of them I would fear Conroy more.

O'Connor is too slow to be a truly top class player and is overrated I feel. Pace is so important in inter county football now.

Conroy has pace to burn and had a brilliant year last year, particularly in semi final and final. O'Connor didn't contribute nearly as much to either Mayo performance. Despite missing much of the championship through injury Conroy seems to have found form again judging by his cameo vs Tyrone and word of mouth from the Mayo camp.

I think your incredulity that the two can even be compared is indicative of how overrated O'Connor is to be honest.

Whilst 31 Counties may be shouting for Mayo this Sunday, Dublin holds a distinct advantage playing in Croke Park.

As we look forward to the Sunday’s final, and the culmination of a fantastic season, the question of the Dubs’ Croke Park advantage rumbles on. Player differences aside, does Dublin have a distinct advantage playing in what has become their de facto home ground for championship football?

There was a time in Croke Park when two terraces were available, the Dubs took Hill 16 and their opponents took the Canal End terrace. This provided both teams with equally opportunity to distract the opponent’s free-takers, avail of cheaper terrace tickets, and raise the volume within the Stadium with a collective voice.

With the redevelopment of Croke Park and the loss of the Canal End terrace, this balance was lost as the Dubs remained in control of the Hill. Also, given the need to maximise attendances and revenue, headquarters has become Dublin’s home ground for Championship football. Over the last six years the Dubs haven’t once moved outside the city in the Championship, playing all 32 matches in Croke Park. This is a logical response from the GAA in terms of revenue and attendances but does it confer other advantages on Dublin? The home advantage has been addressed numerous times so I thought it was time we looked at the other hard facts:

In the last three seasons, the average free taking success rate across all teams in the football Championship is 65%. In Croke Park, Dublin have averaged a success rate of 66.66% of frees kicked into the Canal End whilst all their opponents have managed 65%. So far, so fair.
    However, when Dublin kick into the tranquil Hill 16 their average rises to 75.4% and their opponents’ drop to 59.32%. This provides a huge advantage to Dublin as it represents an increase of 10% in accuracy when kicking into the Hill whilst their opponents accuracy drops 5%. (Statistics from the @thevideoanalyst)

There are 13,200 available places in Hill 16. For numerous reasons (I’m sure we’ve all heard the stories), most supporters aren’t comfortable watching the game from Hill 16 when surrounded by some Dublin supporters. Therefore, Hill 16 is usually largely exclusively Dublin supporters as GAA fans choose to self-segregate. The cost of a Hill 16 ticket on Sunday is €40 whilst a seated ticket is €80. This difference means that Dublin supporters will spend €528,000 less for the same amount of tickets as Mayo this Sunday.

The impact of the 16th man is often referred by the players and officials. The roar of a crowd can be the motivating factor in a player catching that last ball or blocking down that scoring opportunity. Sports arenas are noted for their decibel level and Croke Park is no different. Studies have also found that the decibel level of a seated crowd at a match averages at 110 while a terraced crowd reaches 120. The size and grouping of the supporters is also a factor. This also plays as a big factor for the Dubs as the Hill is the only terraced area and it is also the biggest collection of one team’s supporters.

Possible Solutions

When playing against Dublin the Canal end should be dedicated to the opponent’s supporters at the same price as Hill 16 tickets. This gives both teams the same advantage in terms of free-taking, cheaper tickets and a collective voice.

Divide the Hill in two and give both sets of supporters the opportunity to take advantage of cheaper tickets and a collection voice. This would add colour and atmosphere and negate the issue of the free-taking into the Hill 16 end.

:rolleyes:

More tripe being written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Dublin
    AGC wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

More tripe being written.

Standard "de bleedin' culchies do be hatin' us" answer to a well written and factually supported article on the financial advantages bestowed to Dublin fans and the crowd advantage to Dublin footballers by the segregation of Croke Park when Dublin footballers are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Possible Solutions

Very good post, excellent points well made.

Standard "de bleedin' culchies do be hatin' us" answer to a well written and factually supported article on the financial advantages bestowed to Dublin fans and the crowd advantage to Dublin footballers by the segregation of Croke Park when Dublin footballers are playing.

I have no problem with the 'de bleedin culchies'. It's just the same article over and over again.

The Hill is evenly split. People from other counties are the ones swaping with Dublin fans to move from the Hill to stands and vice versa so they can't use it as an excuse. The semi final against Kerry was probably the most diluted I have seen the Hill. Even going back to when I was in school we had a teacher involved with the Meath county board and he used to swap us 2 hill for 1 stand ticket. Was great at the time!

Dublin fans would be delighted to be playing outside of Dublin, as has been said for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Draw

Possible Solutions

What a load of ****e.

Did the Hill matter when Mayo(deservedly) beat us last year and in 2006?

Did it matter all the days we were hammered out the gates by Kerry and Tyrone?

The referee and now this? You Mayo lads are sure getting the excuses in early.

The quarter final vs Kerry in 2001 at Thurles was one of the best days out i've had as a GAA fan and I would love to play away from Croke Park more often.

Sadly I don't make the decisions and the GAA is milking the cash for all its worth, as they should.

• Advertisement

O'Connor is too slow to be a truly top class player and is overrated I feel. Pace is so important in inter county football now.

Conroy has pace to burn and had a brilliant year last year, particularly in semi final and final. O'Connor didn't contribute nearly as much to either Mayo performance. Despite missing much of the championship through injury Conroy seems to have found form again judging by his cameo vs Tyrone and word of mouth from the Mayo camp.

I think your incredulity that the two can even be compared is indicative of how overrated O'Connor is to be honest.

Your opinion of O'Connor seems to mainly be down to his lack of pace. Undoubtedly he is slower than Mickey C and doesn't make the same runs, get to the ball in the same way Mickey C does. But in my mind he is a much cooler finisher - both of goals and points, has huge accuracy from placed balls and has a great mental strength. From what I've seen he's more of a leader on the pitch and a thinker there too. If he plays on Sunday watch how he takes charge of the forward line, getting them to close down kickouts and tackle the backs coming out.

Draw
    kevmy85 wrote: »
    Your opinion of O'Connor seems to mainly be down to his lack of pace. Undoubtedly he is slower than Mickey C and doesn't make the same runs, get to the ball in the same way Mickey C does. But in my mind he is a much cooler finisher - both of goals and points, has huge accuracy from placed balls and has a great mental strength. From what I've seen he's more of a leader on the pitch and a thinker there too. If he plays on Sunday watch how he takes charge of the forward line, getting them to close down kickouts and tackle the backs coming out.

O'Connor is a more skillful footballer without question and is an excellent score taker and like you say free taker.

But the pace thing is important because he doesn't get on nearly as much ball as he should and goes out of games quite alot from what I can see. I've yet to see him really produce in a big game with the exception of the Cork quarter final in 2011.

Against a Dublin full back line that doesn't have natural corner backs but plenty of speed I would fear Conroy more. You can have all the skill in the world but if you can't get the ball it's not much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dublin
    O'Connor is a more skillful footballer without question and is an excellent score taker and like you say free taker.

But the pace thing is important because he doesn't get on nearly as much ball as he should and goes out of games quite alot from what I can see. I've yet to see him really produce in a big game with the exception of the Cork quarter final in 2011.

Against a Dublin full back line that doesn't have natural corner backs but plenty of speed I would fear Conroy more. You can have all the skill in the world but if you can't get the ball it's not much use.

The fact that Cillian has spent the year carrying an injury and is still only 21 means that his performances in this years championship have been very commendable.
    Is he the finished article? At his age, he must improve a bit yet all other things being equal.

What is interesting though is that Mayo have scored 11 goals (he's got 6 of them and supplied the final pass for another 3) in two and a half games + 10 minutes against Tyrone. That's 11 goals in 185 minutes or a goal every 16.8 minutes.
    Without him, we have scored 3 goals in one and a half games + 60 minutes against Tyrone (one a penalty). That's 3 goals in 165 minutes or a goal every 55 minutes.

Dublin

I just can't believe any opposition supporter would fear Conroy more than O'Connor, or say that Conroy is even close to being as good.

Conroy might be faster than O'Connor but he certainly doesn't have pace to burn. That is the only thing Conroy has on O'Connor, he's slightly faster.

Mayo would have been shagged without O'Connor against Dublin, especially from placed balls. He also scored the same from play as Conroy. In the final, neither were brilliant, but O'Connor is so much more important.

Awareness of who/what is around him, ability to create a score for a team-mate, ability to win a ball and most importantly the ability to score (particularly goals) - O'Connor is ahead of Conroy in all those areas. They are as good as each other at winning a free.

Fair enough if you fear Conroy more, or you think O'Connor is over-rated, the fact remains that O'Connor is not just more important to Mayo than Conroy, but also one of the best young forwards in Ireland.

Draw
    Look, you lads know more about the two of them than I do as you've seen more of them but it's just my opinion.

But there are very few players I've seen who I'd start in an All Ireland final having dislocated a shoulder for the third time in a year four weeks beforehand. And Cillian O'Connor isn't one of them.

I hope I'm not back here on Monday eating humble pie all the same :-)

Dublin
    Look, you lads know more about the two of them than I do as you've seen more of them but it's just my opinion.

But there are very few players I've seen who I'd start in an All Ireland final having dislocated a shoulder for the third time in a year four weeks beforehand. And Cillian O'Connor isn't one of them.

I hope I'm not back here on Monday eating humble pie all the same :-)

Fair enough, for what it's worth I think a lot of Dublin fans seriously under-rate Michael Darragh Mcauley. In my opinion, the best mid-fielder in Ireland for the last 3 years and Dublin's most important player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Dublin
    kevmy85 wrote: »

O'Connor is a far superior forward than Conroy... Plus he is the primary leader of the forwards..

Draw
    Fair enough, for what it's worth I think a lot of Dublin fans seriously under-rate Michael Darragh Mcauley. In my opinion, the best mid-fielder in Ireland for the last 3 years and Dublin's most important player.

I'd agree that he's the most important player on the team because it's the one place where we have no replacement.

In addition, he's a beast of an athlete and a real big game player. Taking him out of midfield last year was inexplicable and after being switched there he single handedly brought us to within David Clarke's hand of a comeback for the ages in last year's semi.

As long as he doesn't kick the ball he's super :-)

All joking aside, for all the talk of the two O'Sheas I really think we can compete in the middle on Sunday. As well as MDMA, Cian O'Sullivan has been a revelation there and is really developing in to the role.

Dublin
    I'd agree that he's the most important player on the team because it's the one place where we have no replacement.

In addition, he's a beast of an athlete and a real big game player. Taking him out of midfield last year was inexplicable and after being switched there he single handedly brought us to within David Clarke's hand of a comeback for the ages in last year's semi.

All joking aside, for all the talk of the two O'Sheas I really think we can compete in the middle on Sunday. As well as MDMA, Cian O'Sullivan has been a revelation there and is really developing in to the role.

That's one issue I'd have from a Mayo point of view - the Dublin mid-field isn't far off being as good as Mayo's. Hopefully we can force Cluxton into long kick-outs where I think we do have an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Draw

I don't, he's brilliant and has been for years now. One of the most committed players i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I agree. If we can stop the O' Sheas winning lots of primary possession (something Dublin aren't too bad at) i'd fancy MDM and O' Sullivan in general play. The Dublin midfielders had 3 goal chances and one assisted goal last day. They're a handful coming from deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Draw
    If Dublin try to compete around the middle they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

What they need to do is exactly what they did against Kerry.

Avoid Midfield. Split the midfielders and boot it straight down the middle to Connolly or Flynn.

Either of the O'Shea's would beat the Dublin lads in a man to man field. Where Dublin have the advantage is the motors of MDMA and O'Sullivan. They will run and run. And if Dublin find ways of getting the ball into their hands, the O'Shea's will have a lot of energy wasted on chasing them back.

EDIT: Also, I am baffled at people saying that O'Connor is over-rated and some even preferring Conroy! I'd take 3 O'Connors before Conroy. Not the fastest or the strongest guy, but he is one the best game reader's in the game and constantly puts himself in position to get big scores. Has had a hand in most of Mayo's goals this year, just from being clever. Vital player, especially considering his free-taking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanpateenmike

Dublin
    Hi Guys, going to be in LA for the final. Can anyone recommend a place that will be open at 7am and definitely showing the game?
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Draw
    Anyone else noticing a 31 v 1 against dublin? I know people from outside of dublin are raised to hate them but it's ridiculous how bitter we non dublin people look when dublin are the most entertaining team to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    The anti-Dublin stuff is a bit much. I experience in my gf's county, even though they are in no way competitive enough to be hating Dublin ;) Sure it's more or less the same for Clare and Cork. Country vs City, rarely win vs second most successful. I would have supported Tyrone against Kerry, even though the Munster men played much more attractive football, just because Tyrone were relative newbies and Kerry have enough titles!

I just got my ticket sorted in the last hour, so I can really start to look forward to the final now. Extremely excited and nervous

Draw
    The anti-Dublin stuff is a bit much. I experience in my gf's county, even though they are in no way competitive enough to be hating Dublin ;) Sure it's more or less the same for Clare and Cork. Country vs City, rarely win vs second most successful. I would have supported Tyrone against Kerry, even though the Munster men played much more attractive football, just because Tyrone were relative newbies and Kerry have enough titles!

I just got my ticket sorted in the last hour, so I can really start to look forward to the final now. Extremely excited and nervous

Small town mentality really, In dublin they fly flags of other counties on hotels, pubs etc and its very welcoming to go there but in donegal if someone put a dublin flag up it would be an "offence"

Mayo name unchanged team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    This is war !! ... I came home to find the lad next door has flown a huge Mayo flag from the lampost .. I've taken the 2 kids Dublin duvet covers and flown them out the main and boxroom window (much to the annoyance of SWMBO as a staunch Royal :D)

The girl the other side has her house up for sale .. just hope there's no showing for the next few days !! Tickets now in arse pocket .. Up da Dubs

DoctaDee wrote: »
    This is war !! ... I came home to find the lad next door has flown a huge Mayo flag from the lampost .. I've taken the 2 kids Dublin duvet covers and flown them out the main and boxroom window (much to the annoyance of SWMBO as a staunch Royal :D)

The girl the other side has her house up for sale .. just hope there's no showing for the next few days !! Tickets now in arse pocket .. Up da Dubs

All I can gather from that is that the poor kids are going to be cold for the next few nights.
    The kids should thank the neighbour for only putting out the Mayo flag now and not 3 weeks ago.

Dublin
    Small town mentality really, In dublin they fly flags of other counties on hotels, pubs etc and its very welcoming to go there but in donegal if someone put a dublin flag up it would be an "offence"

The Dublin publicans hang those county flags outside Dublin pubs for the filthy lucre the publicans can glean from the fans visiting Dublin for the match, it has jack**** to do with any welcoming initiative. And you can be sure that if Dublin ever played a championship match outside of Dublin, the publicans who wanted to cash in on the visiting Dublin fans would be doing the very same as the Dublin publicans do and hang the flags of the visiting teams out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Dublin publicans hang those county flags outside Dublin pubs for the filthy lucre the publicans can glean from the fans visiting Dublin for the match, it has jack**** to do with any welcoming initiative. And you can be sure that if Dublin ever played a championship match outside of Dublin, the publicans who wanted to cash in on the visiting Dublin fans would be doing the very same as the Dublin publicans do and hang the flags of the visiting teams out too.

You'll see pubs in dublin with the crest of the publicans home county above the door and none of us dubs take umbrage.

• Advertisement

Dublin
    Anyone else noticing a 31 v 1 against dublin? I know people from outside of dublin are raised to hate them but it's ridiculous how bitter we non dublin people look when dublin are the most entertaining team to watch.

Oh get over yourself. I'm from Cork and it's 31 v 1 as well in the hurling when it comes to the final v Clare, when Kilkenny were playing Galway , and even Tipperary, it was 31 v 1. When Kerry are playing anyone it's 31 v 1. And "raised to hate" Dubs, oh sweet divine. And are Dublin more entertaining than Mayo? I don't think so. Or Kerry? I don't think so. Dublin are better than either Cork or Galway, but the match between them this year was one of the most open and entertaining in many a moon. Galway and Mayo always play open, attractive football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    Oh get over yourself. I'm from Cork and it's 31 v 1 as well in the hurling when it comes to the final v Clare, when Kilkenny were playing Galway , and even Tipperary, it was 31 v 1. When Kerry are playing anyone it's 31 v 1. And "raised to hate" Dubs, oh sweet divine. And are Dublin more entertaining than Mayo? I don't think so. Or Kerry? I don't think so. Dublin are better than either Cork or Galway, but the match between them this year was one of the most open and entertaining in many a moon. Galway and Mayo always play open, attractive football.

Have to agree with you there,who's to say that Dublin have been that much more entertaining than Mayo?

Dublin
    Bambi wrote: »
    You'll see pubs in dublin with the crest of the publicans home county above the door and none of us dubs take umbrage.

That's very open minded of you. Pity the Dubs aren't so welcoming to opposition fans who want to avail of cheaper tickets and stand on Hill16 where the Dubs see it as 'their' territory like a Stretford End or The Kop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Draw
    That's very open minded of you. Pity the Dubs aren't so welcoming to opposition fans who want to avail of cheaper tickets and stand on Hill16 where the Dubs see it as 'their' territory like a Stretford End or The Kop.

Rubbish. There were plenty of Cork Fans on the Hill at the Hurling Semi and Fair few Kerry at the Football, I know i was standing beside them and there was no issues bit of banter and crack.

Dublin
    mobby wrote: »
    Rubbish. There were plenty of Cork Fans on the Hill at the Hurling Semi and Fair few Kerry at the Football, I know i was standing beside them and there was no issues bit of banter and crack.

Hurling is a different animal, as well you know. Dublin hurlers had only 3 men and a dog supporting them up until 2 years ago, and still have only a small percentage of the crowd who support the footballers coming out to support them. The Dub football fans might, by and large, tolerate the 10 or 15 brave souls who go onto the Hill amidst the 13,000 Dubs when the footballers play. If a 1,000 came on, then we'd see the trouble.

Draw
    When i was in dublin I felt welcome enough, same couldn't be said for cork where i was given 101 reasons cork is better than dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Mayo claim to have sold 4,000 tickets for Dublin's Hill. I wonder how many of them will end up dead from Dublin thuggery. I'm going to put my neck on the line here and predicted a big, fat zero.

Dublin
    Mayo claim to have sold 4,000 tickets for Dublin's Hill. I wonder how many of them will end up dead from Dublin thuggery. I'm going to put my neck on the line here and predicted a big, fat zero.

I don't think there will be any deaths on Hill 16 either. Might be on O'Connell St. though, like that Donegal fan who was beaten to death there after the 1992 All Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Draw
    I don't think there will be any deaths on Hill 16 either. Might be on O'Connell St. though, like that Donegal fan who was beaten to death there after the 1992 All Ireland final.

Can we bar this person. Obvious is obvious like....

• Advertisement

I'd say most of them will be swapped with eager Dublin young fellas who have stand tickets and want to get to the Hill, and no extra cost to the Mayo folk either :)

Advertisement