Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    All I can gather from that is that the poor kids are going to be cold for the next few nights.
    The kids should thank the neighbour for only putting out the Mayo flag now and not 3 weeks ago.

Ha ... I tell ya Fr ... he's been testing the water the last week and a half ..we've had a few of those mini flags (ya know the ones on sale @ Croker), last weekend he upgraded to a good size one out front of the house... this week it's like a roll of wall paper unfolded on the lampost .... I blame myself .. I should've burned the original flags..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Draw
    Between Clonskeagh and Sandyord, and Churchtown and Blackrock, Dublin seems like "Little Mayo." There are easily three Mayo flags for every Dublin flag I see, if not four. A bit of a poor show from Dublin fans when you consider it's only our fourth final in the last twenty years, or sixth in the last thirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    Between Clonskeagh and Sandyord, and Churchtown and Blackrock, Dublin seems like "Little Mayo." There are easily three Mayo flags for every Dublin flag I see, if not four. A bit of a poor show from Dublin fans when you consider it's only our fourth final in the last twenty years, or sixth in the last thirty.

Or 2 in the last 3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

seligehgit wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there,who's to say that Dublin have been that much more entertaining than Mayo?
    Well, we did win the greatest match of all-time in the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

Dublin

That's rugby territory. Only middle class Dubliners and educated culchies can afford to live there, and the culchies are the only ones interested in GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin

Like the idea of a "Little Mayo",nice ring to it,mind you hope our lads are'nt too little on Sunday.Nerves are killing me,62 long years and counting,pure torture.

Dublin
    Well, we did win the greatest match of all-time in the semi-final.

Greatest game I've had the pleasure to view,although I had the immense pleasure of witnessing in the flesh the 2006 semi final.Not on the earth long enough to adjudicate on the game's merits as the greatest game of all time.

Draw
    That's rugby territory. Only middle class Dubliners and educated culchies can afford to live there, and the culchies are the only ones interested in GAA.

Kilmacud Crokes are one of Dublin's most competitive clubs, and they are from Stillorgan. Naomh Olaf, Cuala, Ballinteer St. Johns and even Ranelagh Gaels are also situated close by. Hardly rugby territory!

Also, for whatever it's worth, Seamus Braid was beaten to death on O'Connell Street on the Monday morning following Donegal's All-Ireland victory in 1992. Not as though he was beaten up by angry Dubs at 6 o'clock on the Sunday evening. An intentional blurring of the lines I fear, which I know wouldn't be your style!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Dublin
    Got sorted myself earlier on today with tickets, cannot wait for this now. Have strong connections with Mayo so will be wearing the green and red on Sunday. For so many reasons I hope Mayo win, after all those disappointments they've had it would be a shame to add another to the list.

Dublin
    Kilmacud Crokes are one of Dublin's most competitive clubs, and they are from Stillorgan. Naomh Olaf, Cuala, Ballinteer St. Johns and even Ranelagh Gaels are also situated close by. Hardly rugby territory!

Also, for whatever it's worth, Seamus Braid was beaten to death on O'Connell Street on the Monday morning following Donegal's All-Ireland victory in 1992. Not as though he was beaten up by angry Dubs at 6 o'clock on the Sunday evening. An intentional blurring of the lines I fear, which I know wouldn't be your style!!

You'll find more support for Leinster rugby in that neck of the woods than for GAA amongst the natives. It'd be the other way around for the culchies who have moved in there, hence the Mayo flags outnumbering. And Monday morning? So did he skip the queue for the bus and angry commuters wanting to get in for work at 9 a.m. took out their frustration on him?

• Advertisement

Draw
    You'll find more support for Leinster rugby in that neck of the woods than for GAA amongst the natives. It'd be the other way around for the culchies who have moved in there, hence the Mayo flags outnumbering. And Monday morning? So did he skip the queue for the bus and angry commuters wanting to get in for work at 9 a.m. took out their frustration on him?

Yeah. It was the 3AM 11 bus. Used to run from Bird Avenue to Wadelai Park. God be with the days now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ticéad secured.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Dublin
    Hi Guys, going to be in LA for the final. Can anyone recommend a place that will be open at 7am and definitely showing the game?
    Thanks...

Irelands 32 in Van Nuys on north west of LA, or the Harp Inn (where I'm going) in Costa Mesa which is south of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    going for Dublin in this one. of course it could go either way, but i think Dublin have been tested much more than Mayo this year, have been in much tougher games against better teams and this will stand to them. I think Mayo lack top class forwards, what they have can be marked out of the game. that Dublin full back line is dodgy as f*ck though and Maybe Mayo can exploit this.

Mayo will burst out of the blocks, Dublin will come back and then it will come down to the last 10 minutes. Dublin are beatable of course, but i just think this one is theirs but my god will it be close.

Dublin
    Love to know in relation to the poll how the neutrals voted,expect everybody including myself voted for their own county?Any neutrals willing to call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

going for Dublin in this one. of course it could go either way, but i think Dublin have been tested much more than Mayo this year, have been in much tougher games against better teams and this will stand to them. I think Mayo lack top class forwards, what they have can be marked out of the game. that Dublin full back line is dodgy as f*ck though and Maybe Mayo can exploit this.

Mayo will burst out of the blocks, Dublin will come back and then it will come down to the last 10 minutes. Dublin are beatable of course, but i just think this one is theirs but my god will it be close.

Poor Rory O' Carroll getting himself a bad name. I think he's been good all season for us. The problems are either side of him with natural half backs playing in the corners.

Draw
    Padkir wrote: »
    Irelands 32 in Van Nuys on north west of LA, or the Harp Inn (where I'm going) in Costa Mesa which is south of the city.

Ewww ... yeah flashbacks to a Jeigermeister party in The Harp and the 30 mins missing from my life as to how I got to Corona del Mar :confused: :rolleyes:

Dublin
    Love to know in relation to the poll how the neutrals voted,expect everybody including myself voted for their own county?Any neutrals willing to call it?

There are no proper "'neutrals" in this. Anyone not from Dublin is cheering for Mayo. Cluxton is the best goalie in the country and a great freetaker to boot, so advantage Dublin there. Mayo have a better defence and the Dublin full back line is absolute gash. And they have Ger Brennan at centre back! Advantage Mayo there. I do think "MDMA" is a colossus and the main rival to Aidan O'Shea for FOTY so that will be a great battle at midfield, though they probably won't mark each other, so I'll call that even. Dublin have better individual forwards, but that is what some of them are - individual gloryhunters looking for the adulation of the Hill -especially Bernard the lovely tan and dopey Connolly, though I think Paul Flynn is a super player and is not like the other two. Mayo have a more even spread and no 'superstar'. Dublin have a bit more on the bench there too, so I'll call a small advnatge for Dublin there. Overall, it's a hard one to call. But if Mayo can keep it tight early on, fancy them by a couple of points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw
    There are no proper "'neutrals" in this. Anyone not from Dublin is cheering for Mayo. Cluxton is the best goalie in the country and a great freetaker to boot, so advantage Dublin there. Mayo have a better defence and the Dublin full back line is absolute gash. And they have Ger Brennan at centre back! Advantage Mayo there. I do think "MDMA" is a colossus and the main rival to Aidan O'Shea for FOTY so that will be a great battle at midfield, though they probably won't mark each other, so I'll call that even. Dublin have better individual forwards, but that is what some of them are - individual gloryhunters looking for the adulation of the Hill -especially Bernard the lovely tan and dopey Connolly, though I think Paul Flynn is a super player and is not like the other two. Mayo have a more even spread and no 'superstar'. Dublin have a bit more on the bench there too, so I'll call a small advnatge for Dublin there. Overall, it's a hard one to call. But if Mayo can keep it tight early on, fancy them by a couple of points.

Ah so that's your issue with us Dubs, you fancy Bernard.
    Im guessing he rejected your advances :(:o hence the chip on your shoulder ??
    :D

Dublin
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah so that's your issue with us Dubs, you fancy Bernard.
    Im guessing he rejected your advances :(:o hence the chip on your shoulder ??
    :D

Oh no! I've been called a homo by some randomer on the internet. I'm cut to the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    Just back from the off the ball road show in vicar Street, very good atmosphere.
    Donaghy and O'Sullivan were there, they were excellent, but you could see how raw the semi defeat was, it was possibly a little early for them to be out.
    McHale was good, as was Mossy Quinn.

Draw
    Stoner wrote: »
    Just back from the off the ball road show in vicar Street, very good atmosphere.
    Donaghy and O'Sullivan were there, they were excellent, but you could see how raw the semi defeat was, it was possibly a little early for them to be out.
    McHale was good, as was Mossy Quinn.

Donaghy strikes me as bitter >snip<. You can see he took the defeat last time hard from a few pics taken after the game.

Dublin
    Anybody think it is likely that there could be an edge to the game or get nasty.After all familiarity can bred contempt with such high stakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Draw
    I don't think there will be any deaths on Hill 16 either. Might be on O'Connell St. though, like that Donegal fan who was beaten to death there after the 1992 All Ireland final.

From memory the poor lad from Donegal got in to a row with another lad outside a fast food restaurant,Were a scuffle broke out and the Donegal lad fell hitting his head of the kerb which lead to his untimely death.

Draw
    Donaghy strikes me as a bitter
    I know what you mean, I left the place with a different opinion of him. (a good one now) TBH. O'Sullivan was his usual self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Anybody think it is likely that there could be an edge to the game or get nasty.After all familiarity can bred contempt with such high stakes?
    Not really Mayo Dublin games have been pretty clean But some physical matchups likely Keegan n Connolly; Boyle n anyone between him n the ball; Aidan Shea n Mccauley will collide; Freeman n OCarroll will be most key battle. If Freeman wins that Mayos chances hugely increased No harm the odd high ball for Freeman to attack

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Dublin
    Will there be much booing on the hill or will there be respect shown between the two sets of supporters when Bernard and Cillian are shooting their free kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Dublin
    Will there be much booing on the hill or will there be respect shown between the two sets of supporters when Bernard and Cillian are shooting their free kicks

Not for the two mentioned but if Cluxton takes 5 mins to walk up and take a 45 there might be a chosus of 'Why are we waiting':D.

Dublin

There'll be pigs flying and doing aeronautic somersaults and dive bombs into the Hogan stand before the Hill16 crew stop booing opposition freetakers. And it works for them. As pointed out in an article I posted on this thread earlier, the soccer crowd mentality of the Hill 6 crew increases the conversion rate of Dublin frees into Hill16 and and decreases the conversion rate of opposition frees when both are compared to the frees taken into the Davin end. There is method in the madness and open hostility of the Hill16 crew intimidating opposition fans into not coming in to 'their' part of Croke Park. Be gas if the Mayo lads warmed up on the Hill16 side like in 2006, that rattled them badly that time as they think they 'own' that half of the pitch as well.

• Advertisement

Dublin
    Esroh wrote: »
    Not for the two mentioned but if Cluxton takes 5 mins to walk up and take a 45 there might be a chosus of 'Why are we waiting':D.

For every free Cluxton takes, a minute is eaten up. Brian Gavin added on phantom time in the hurling final for sideline balls taken even when the Claree goalkeeper ran away with ball for one of them. There was no more 'extra' time on top of the added time given when Cluxton took a minute of added time to take the ,very dodgily awarded, winning free v Kerry in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Dublin
    id say it would take Al Qaeda to drop 1 nearby to put O Connor off hes as accurate as a level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Draw
    For every free Cluxton takes, a minute is eaten up. Brian Gavin added on phantom time in the hurling final for sideline balls taken even when the Claree goalkeeper ran away with ball for one of them. There was no more 'extra' time on top of the added time given when Cluxton took a minute of added time to take the ,very dodgily awarded, winning free v Kerry in 2011.

I think you've covered every (one sided) opinion about Dublin and their fans now at this point. Thanks for the input. Please stop ruining this thread you troll and the general good vibe around what is going to be a great day for all on Sunday. I'll be in the hill, I won't be booing free takers. And its not only Dublin fans that boo ya know. Stop making everyone out to be whatever, its very narrow minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw
    Brian Gavin added on phantom time in the hurling final for sideline balls taken even when the Claree goalkeeper ran away with ball .

You clearly don't know the rules if you think Brian Gavin was incorrect to play the 2:30 mins of extra time..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lorkelly

I'd say most of them will be swapped with eager Dublin young fellas who have stand tickets and want to get to the Hill, and no extra cost to the Mayo folk either :)

well being from mayo, hill tickets were all we could get a hold off and ya know its actually horrible to hear from so many dubs that we would get stuff thrown at us and threatened for being in dublin terriorty..its totally taken the good out off the all ireland for me..total bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dublin
    Hi Guys, going to be in LA for the final. Can anyone recommend a place that will be open at 7am and definitely showing the game?
    Thanks...
    The Beverley Hills Hilton are showing it on the big screen.

Get there early for the minors:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭glennponder

lorkelly wrote: »
    well being from mayo, hill tickets were all we could get a hold off and ya know its actually horrible to hear from so many dubs that we would get stuff thrown at us and threatened for being in dublin terriorty..its totally taken the good out off the all ireland for me..total bull****

empty threats though, you'll be grand on the hill, it'll be just a bit of banter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Draw
    stuff to be throwing at you? In all the years that I've been on the Hill I have NEVER seen an opposing fan have stuff thrown at them or be physically abused.
    The nearest thing a fan would get to abuse would be lads singing spot the loony,Ok the odd empty can of beer gets flung into the Dublin crowd by a scumbag,Who is at croker for the first time that year.
    During the 2011 final a girl from Kerry stood beside me and the lads shouting for Kerry,Nothing was said to her and If a scumbag did say anything to her they would have been told to f**k off.
    Look the Dubs have a few scumbag jump on the band wagon supporters that do be on the Hill,The majority of lads on the Hill work and have responsible jobs I'm sure other counties have a few of their own sh*t stirrers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin

Its GAA, it doesn't happen. Prepare to get the arse slagged off you but any time I have been in the depths of the hill before we got the season tickets there was great craic. Of course your going to have idiots on both sides who will cause a ripple.
    2500-3000 Mayo fans in the hill from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pikebishop

I think somebody is winding you up.. if your respectful the only thing that'll be thrown at you is a bit of banter and a few renditions of "hill 16 is Dublin only".

Draw
    Lads it was his first post. Nobody here made any such comments. Nobody here needs to defend against it, it's obviously a troll trying to get people wound up and at the very least talking about a section of fans in a negative way.

I'm returning to ignoring the trolls here and on the Cork thread, just following the the ignore and report advice handed out by the mods,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dublin
    Stoner wrote: »
    Lads it was his first post. Nobody here made any such comments. Nobody here needs to defend against it, it's obviously a troll trying to get people wound up and at the very least talking about a section of fans in a negative way.

I'm returning to ignoring the trolls here and on the Cork thread, just following the the ignore and report advice handed out by the mods,

I'm trying to ignore you all season, but no joy yet ;)

Probably is a troll in truth.

Draw
    Anyone catch Dublin mad 4 Sam on irishtvlive.ie on sky 192 last night from Kilmacud Crokes wasn't bad. They have a 2 hour show tonight from I think The Welcome Inn in Mayo. I know it had a Dublin lean to it last night but interestingly Harte Canavan & Cavanagh all went for da Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nephinbeg

Dublin
    A great friend sorted me out with a hill ticket. Was there last year and I wouldn't swap it now for central lower hogan. Looking forward to a bit of banter with the dubs fans, never had any problems with them before, in fact I've never had boo said to me at any GAA match. That's what makes it the greatest sporting organisation in the world.

Draw
    Nephinbeg wrote: »
    A great friend sorted me out with a hill ticket. Was there last year and I wouldn't swap it now for central lower hogan. Looking forward to a bit of banter with the dubs fans, never had any problems with them before, in fact I've never had boo said to me at any GAA match. That's what makes it the greatest sporting organisation in the world.

You must be built like The Rock if you never got a boo at the very least in The Hill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nephinbeg

Dublin
    You must be built like The Rock if you never got a boo at the very least in The Hill :D

I've been known to eat four Weetabix for breakfast, yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Dublin
    Not saying that it happens now, but a Meath man told me once that Meath fans had been pissed on in the hill. I've no way of verifying what he said, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had happened in the old days. I'd say it's far less likely to happen now.

Draw
    I've seen plenty of potential rows over urine at matches over the years, usually some old lad is too tired or drunk and will just wizz where they stand, usually in the canal end where we went to the most.
    According to my old man this was a regular occurance years ago in the hill and the canal end.

I've heard of fans doing it deliberately but never saw it happen. For something like that it only takes one to destroy the reputation of a whole crowd. I'm sure mobile phones help with that these days in identifying the culprits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Draw
    I can't sleep with all the nerves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Dublin
    Grandeeod wrote: »

I cant sleep for wondering where I'm going to get a ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    Grandeeod wrote: »

Probably time to get up anyway ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement