Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we receive DAB radio in Donegal?

Options
  • 03-09-2013 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I don't believe so, I think its only Dublin/Limerick/Cork that is covered at the minute.

RTE used to have a coverage map on their site but i don't see it now, if you are willing to spend 20 quid a month on it get yourself a cheap phone from 3, the tunein radio app and use the data allowence to stream your radio.

You can access thousands of stations too

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A lot of us here rely on transmission signal overspill from transmitters in NI. but unlike the digital terrestrial tv signal which carries for quite some distance (freeview) the digital audio signal has a limited range.

RTE, digital radio, Donegal. Those words just aren't in the mix.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I doubt if DAB will ever get rolled out nationally at this stage. If it does, maybe DAB+ or some other thing.

As it stands, RTE's DAB service only carries RTE stations, I think the same ones that are on Saorview. No commercial stations. Then there's a seperate DAB+ trial, South of the country, that has other commercial stations.

The whole thing seems a bit haphazard and even if they did stick DAB broadcasts from a few Tx, it's never likely to have as good a coverage as FM, especially in hilly Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

It depends where you live. I used to get it perfectly when I lived near Donegal Town but I was on a very high hill which may have helped..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I'm in Quigley's Point and very happily get the Northern Ireland DAB muxes from Derry. Can't imagine RTE rolling out DAB to North Donegal ever though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Carn area - anyone know if you can get it there?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

annascott wrote: »
    It depends where you live. I used to get it perfectly when I lived near Donegal Town but I was on a very high hill which may have helped..
    You were in a lucky spot so, as much of the town can't get any broadcast services from NI (hence why it was cabled many moons ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Wi-Fi Radio is the business, plenty of choice as per your pc / mac and reliant on no one but your isp!

Advertisement