Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year missing two days of Orientation

Options
  • 03-09-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm a first year arts student and was all set for Orientation week tomorrow but due to an illness in my family I will not get to Dublin until Thursday at the earliest. What should I do about this? UCD say it is compulsory for all students am I going to be causing huge bother? Is there anybody I should contact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Isco wrote: »
    I'm a first year arts student and was all set for Orientation week tomorrow but due to an illness in my family I will not get to Dublin until Thursday at the earliest. What should I do about this? UCD say it is compulsory for all students am I going to be causing huge bother? Is there anybody I should contact?

Don't worry, you won't miss much, UCD classes don't really take attendance so they're not even going to know you're not there.

Orientation consists of a tour, president's welcome, IT induction and various social events (BBQs, gigs, nights out). The IT Induction is fairly rudimentary and just the fact you're on boards is an indicator that you are probably capable. The President's welcome is usually fairly boring but you'll miss out on the free scarf.

I guess for the most part you're going to miss a chance to make friends while everyone is still strangers to each other, but its not as if you're missing the first few weeks.

I hope the illness sorts itself out and everyone is okay, enjoy UCD. I'm graduating tomorrow and couldn't be more jealous of you first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Isco wrote: »

As errlloyd says, don't worry about it. I missed all of orientation and the first few days of term and there was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 qmzp

Orientation is a waste of time. Nobody will miss you if you don't go. They say it's compulsory so eager first years will go to every event and the President won't be talking to an empty room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 omnishambles

I'm going through orientation at the moment. The amount of unadulterdated bullsh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

The exact same thing happened to me in first year and i missed orientation.All you will miss out on is dominos vouchers and a free scarf really no biggie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tipptop1

"I'm a first year arts student and was all set for Orientation week tomorrow but due to an illness in my family I will not get to Dublin until Thursday at the earliest. What should I do about this? UCD say it is compulsory for all students am I going to be causing huge bother? Is there anybody I should contact?"

you're going to be excommunicated sorry :( better start looking at other colleges:(

ps if you live on campus i'll be more than happy to take your room off you :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Don't worry about it! You'll miss nothing apart from some free stuff that you can get later on. IT induction is not worth bothering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pinkstudent13

I remember once someone missed the first week and a graduate student was assigned to them to show them around campus and stuff if you're worried, you won't miss lectures or anything, don't let it set you back, you'll do fine...

Advertisement