Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

From what I've seen , Rodgers has a your place to lose mentality when picking the team instead of what might work best, Though only cb has competition so I'm not sure if It's an accurate statement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    From what I've seen , Rodgers has a your place to lose mentality when picking the team instead of what might work best, Though only cb has competition so I'm not sure if It's an accurate statement

So you are going by what you have seen but it might not be accurate...

You really do come out with bizarre posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What's the story with that Brazilian left back we supposedly almost signed in the summer from Spain? Can't remember his name. Could we be back in for him in January?
    MD1990 wrote: »
    no he went to Benfica

Speaking of Brazilian fullbacks that play in Portugal, there are two at Porto that really stand out.

Danilio at right back is already a fairly well know player, but Sandro at left back is looking like he could be a good player as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Jon Flanagan's display against Everton impresses Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard

The 20-year-old defender produced a seasoned performance in his first Merseyside derby, despite playing out of position at left-back against Kevin Mirallas.

Liverpool earned a point at Goodison Park with a late goal from substitute Daniel Sturridge in an eventful clash between the local rivals.

"Daniel has obviously been carrying a bit of a niggle of late but the manager said in his team-talk that he could probably come on and be the match-winner or play a very important part coming off the bench," Gerrard said.

"But you look at our team and our star man for me was Jon Flanagan by a country mile.

"He doesn't get many headlines but as captain of the team he was the player I am most proud of. I thought he was unbelievable.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9041108/?

Good to hear Flanagan being praised by Gerrard.

He was taking too much stick pre match from our fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So you are going by what you have seen but it might not be accurate...

You really do come out with bizarre posts!

In fairness on this occasion I don't think he is too far wrong.

5starpool wrote: »
    In fairness on this occasion I don't think he is too far wrong.

I'm not sure our subs are strong enough to push for first team in a lot of positions tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Am I the only person who thought Joe Allen played well on Saturday (ignore that miss)? I thought he passed well, picked up good positions to receive the ball and closed down the Everton midfield well. I know the miss was awful but I was encouraged to see a midfielder actually break into the opposition box.

I'd like to see him get a run in the team between now and Jan to see what he can do now he's fully fit. People forget he started well last season before he lost his form!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Good to hear Flanagan being praised by Gerrard.

He was taking too much stick pre match from our fans.

Our Fans should watch more Youth Football.

It's pretty apparent there, how much Flano has grown. He always been one of our Best Players, whenever he plays.

And it'll also be Clear to them, as to why he starts ahead of Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not sure our subs are strong enough to push for first team in a lot of positions tbh.

No, but as regards centre halves, players seem to only get changed around if we have a bad game. Sakho should have started against Everton to try and handle Lukaku. He didn't do a huge amount as it turned out in general play, but the 3rd goal especially was one where a stronger defender handling him would have been very useful.

Am I the only person who thought Joe Allen played well on Saturday (ignore that miss)? I thought he passed well, picked up good positions to receive the ball and closed down the Everton midfield well. I know the miss was awful but I was encouraged to see a midfielder actually break into the opposition box.

I'd like to see him get a run in the team between now and Jan to see what he can do now he's fully fit. People forget he started well last season before he lost his form!

He was nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be, but would not say that he was overly good either.

He did a lot of the turnover type stuff, and kept things ticking away, but if I am to be brutally honest is is one of four midfield players (himself, Henderson, Gerrard, and Coutinho) who either played in a sub par manner for most of the game or who were outplayed/outfought by their Everton counterparts. Lucas was the only one of our midfielders on Saturday who actually did well in his defined role.

Coutinho and Gerrard offset their poor overall play to some degree with the goal and assist, but neither were really at the races. Henderson was pretty much muck for the entire game, but ran a lot which I presume made him catch the eye.

Johnson was poor at right back, and Skrtel was no better. Agger was a bit better than Skrtel but still not great. Flanagan was the only one of our outfield defenders that actually looked like he would bust a gut for the team on the day.

The tackle seems to have gotten a hell of a lot of attention on here, and it was a red card worthy tackle imho, but after a few days to digest the result, I think Everton supporters may see it as two points lost more than we should.

Take Mignolet out of the game and I think they could have been a few goals up before Allen's miss, and could have added a few more after it. Not often one can say that a keeper who conceded three goals had an outstanding game, but it can certainly be said for Mignolet and to a lesser degree for Howard ( I think Mignolet had more to do that n Howard).

However until January we have to stick with what we have. We know the obvious weakness in the team which is our very average set of midfield options, and we know that we need a full back or two. But if we can keep ourselves close to that two point per game average until January, then maybe we can buy the players we need to take advantage of a decent first half season. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ouch!

damned with faint praise

"I don't think you could judge Jon on his skill or ability" - so is he a donkey technically then? I sincerely hope not and if he is technically lacking then the staff simply have to create a customised training plan for him including stepovers and rainbow flicks, that'll be sure to win the crowd over

looks like our january midfield signing will be between mvila or will hughes? a tough choice - although i personally would go for dundee united's ryan gaulad, 17 years old and got 4 assists at the weekend, winner winner chicken dinner, he's a tartan messi make no mistake

5starpool wrote: »
    No, but as regards centre halves, players seem to only get changed around if we have a bad game. Sakho should have started against Everton to try and handle Lukaku. He didn't do a huge amount as it turned out in general play, but the 3rd goal especially was one where a stronger defender handling him would have been very useful.

I was suprised Sahko didn't start myself tbh. Would have been a better fit for sure in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trying to understand this post, do you mean Rodgers sets up a side to be attacking rather than containing/defending?

If so you are right, I said after the game ending the match with 4-2-4 was a bit mad and Rogers own innate optimism is probably his biggest failing. Of course it has to be noted it was late sub Sturridge who scored the equaliser so going for the win at the risk of loosing didn't cost much if anything in the end. The error was not starting with the best back line.

I see there was a cracking goal over the weekend that involved one of our summer targets. Not keen on the guy in terms of his antics, but nice finish.

Costa

823590723.gif?1385246876

Just found a gif as well of Pogba's goal against Napoli from Juve's 3-0 win of a few weeks back.

Is a strike worth seeing again, and also one that makes me glad we signed Mignolet

9gppaI1.gif

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Trying to understand this post, do you mean Rodgers sets up a side to be attacking rather than containing/defending?

If so you are right, I said after the game ending the match with 4-2-4 was a bit mad and Rogers own innate optimism is probably his biggest failing. Of course it has to be noted it was late sub Sturridge who scored the equaliser so going for the win at the risk of loosing didn't cost much if anything in the end. The error was not starting with the best back line.

No, my point is basically 10 of eleven positions pick themselves. Only at centre back is there any competition and Rodgers won't drop a defender until he has a bad game.

I was saying if there was competition all over the park would Rodgers keep the your place to lose mentality, that's why I said I'm not sure if it is his actual policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

slingerz wrote: »
    Ya, YOU!:eek:

I've not said on twitter that Liverpool will sign Bertrand

No, my point is basically 10 of eleven positions pick themselves. Only at centre back is there any competition and Rodgers won't drop a defender until he has a bad game.

I was saying if there was competition all over the park would Rodgers keep the your place to lose mentality, that's why I said I'm not sure if it is his actual policy

I think you are answering your own question.

The subs for Liverpool are very average and wouldn't improve the team. The only one is perhaps Allen and that's very debatable.

CB has proper competition on the nench and hance why nobody has really nailed a spot down, bar Skrtel I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We don't only play with one CB....:confused:

donfers wrote: »
    ouch!

damned with faint praise

"I don't think you could judge Jon on his skill or ability" - so is he a donkey technically then? I sincerely hope not and if he is technically lacking then the staff simply have to create a customised training plan for him including stepovers and rainbow flicks, that'll be sure to win the crowd over

looks like our january midfield signing will be between mvila or will hughes? a tough choice - although i personally would go for dundee united's ryan gaulad, 17 years old and got 4 assists at the weekend,winner winner chicken dinner, he's a tartan messi make no mistake

Triple D. :D

• Advertisement

I think you are answering your own question.

The subs for Liverpool are very average and wouldn't improve the team. The only one is perhaps Allen and that's very debatable.

CB has proper competition on the nench and hance why nobody has really nailed a spot down, bar Skrtel I suppose.

I didn't ask a question.

The Anfield Mole is saying a deal for Yann M'Vila is very close

http://www.beyondthekop.com/5/post/2013/11/yann-mvila-latest.html
    M'Vila was not only there as a guest of Mamadou Sakho, he was also there to meet club officials for talks, the source says that " A deal is very close "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Oooooo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Kess73 wrote: »
    The tackle seems to have gotten a hell of a lot of attention on here, and it was a red card worthy tackle imho, but after a few days to digest the result, I think Everton supporters may see it as two points lost more than we should.

Take Mignolet out of the game and I think they could have been a few goals up before Allen's miss, and could have added a few more after it. Not often one can say that a keeper who conceded three goals had an outstanding game, but it can certainly be said for Mignolet and to a lesser degree for Howard ( I think Mignolet had more to do that n Howard).

The tackle has been talked about because it was an absolute blatant red, a 'red and a half' as my Arsenal-supporting mate described it, and I would say we were about 90% certain of a win if the ref had the very obviously correct call.

Yes Everton played better after, but they should't have had the opportunity to do so.

As for the bolded part, I could say: Take Lukaku out of Everton's team and we probably would've won. Does that strike you as a bizarre statement? Probably. Then why can it be used for Mignolet? There's a tendancy to regard the goalkeeper as somehow not part of the team, which makes no sense, but it seems to be generally accepted amongst football fans.

Superb individual performance that won us points, but no different to that of Suarez or Lukaku whom you could say the same about

I will believe it when there is the obligatory leaning photo.

amiable wrote: »

16.6m was the figure being banded about over the past few days as the buy out figure in M'Vila's contract and the other rumour is that 3 clubs in England have had contact with Rubin Kazan regarding the player (Liverpool, Arsenal, and Man U being the rumoured clubs) along with one in Spain.

16.6m was the figure being banded about over the past few days as the buy out figure in M'Vila's contract and the other rumour is that 3 clubs in England have had contact with Rubin Kazan regarding the player (Liverpool, Arsenal, and Man U being the rumoured clubs) along with one in Spain.

I saw Dave Hendrick in conversation on twitter with someone saying he's available for approx €10 million

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Oh God are we near that time of year again. The worst thing about Xmas is the inevitable barrage of twitter nonsense!!

Did this Mole gut get anything right in the summer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Nothing wrong with that price!!

Hopefully Sakho can help swing it for us.

I didn't ask a question.

Well your observation or whatever you want to call it.

This is why I was reluctant to engage. One bitten etc.

Your answer is there anyway above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For those in the know, how good is M'Vila? How will he fit in? Predictions if he signs?

I really think we should sign Ryan Gauld, the policy of signing talentd youngsters can take time to pay off but this kid is so good that he could be benching for us already, Real Madrid are keeping tabs on him, let's get in there and snare him

MVila I am not so sure about, has his star not waned in recent time, a lot of these french players are overhyped

Morzadec wrote: »
    For those in the know, how good is M'Vila? How will he fit in? Predictions if he signs?

Well he's better than Lucas and Allen put together. He's not going to dominate games ala yaya toure but will be an improvement on the current team, comes with a really bad reputation Though.

Morzadec wrote: »

Good enough to be genuine competition (or a replacement) for an on form Gerrard or an on form Lucas in our current midfield set up and far superior to Henderson or Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Well he's better than Lucas and Allen put together. He's not going to dominate games ala yaya toure but will be an improvement, comes with a really bad reputation Though.

in what way? couldnt be any worse than suarez' reputation lol

only saw him play during the euros and he looked decent. dont know why he went to rubin kazan though...that was a strange transfer :S

He's exactly the type of player that the team needs.

MarkY91 wrote: »

only saw him play during the euros and he looked decent. dont know why he went to rubin kazan though...that was a strange transfer :S

He was known for having a bit of an attitude problem a few years back and became a target for the boo boys in the stands when he was around 20 or 21. His reputation is nothing like that of Suarez (and that includes the rep Suarez had in Holland before moving to Liverpool)

Seems to have matured a bit since then, and is still only 23.

Is the Anfield Mole reliable lads? If Amiable is quoting him then that's good enough for because Amiable wouldn't normally quote BSers.

Looks like Mvila is almost done then, hopefully there'll be another five or six in

He likes the party scene in Paris apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just found a gif as well of Pogba's goal against Napoli from Juve's 3-0 win of a few weeks back.

Is a strike worth seeing again, and also one that makes me glad we signed Mignolet

9gppaI1.gif

I hope your not suggesting Reina should of done better with that :eek:

He actually plased well in that game despite conceeding 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is the Anfield Mole reliable lads? If Amiable is quoting him then that's good enough for because Amiable wouldn't normally quote BSers.

Looks like Mvila is almost done then, hopefully there'll be another five or six in

Half decent players coming to Liverpool, do I dare believe my eyes!!

Oh God are we near that time of year again. The worst thing about Xmas is the inevitable barrage of twitter nonsense!!

Did this Mole gut get anything right in the summer?!

Have a look through his timeline on twitter and see

Like anybody else it's speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Im assuming thats tongue in cheek?

No way are we buying 5-6 players are you nuts. We'll be lucky to get 2 - and if they are 1st team quality in the right/urgent positions (MF and Full back) then I will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Try one! (a wide man/striker)

• Advertisement

Like anybody else it's speculation

informed speculation i.e. from sources within the Anfield corridors of power or just Stab in the dark speculation based on what other media sources are reporting, if it's the latter then I advise that we all unfollow him on Twitter and stop quoting him in here

Rumoured to be a bit of a hot head, had spats with former players and coaches, was pretty hot property before the euros until he had a bust up with the French coach then no one would touch him after it. Also he's been arrested a few times

mike65 wrote: »
    Try one! (a wide man/striker)

In place of who Mike? Or would it be a back up option if one of the strikers gets injured? IMO we need to strengthen the first team and with Enrique out for 3 months we need a left back and a better midfielder than the ones we have already

gafferino wrote: »
    Im assuming thats tongue in cheek?

No way are we buying 5-6 players are you nuts. We'll be lucky to get 2 - and if they are 1st team quality in the right/urgent positions (MF and Full back) then I will be happy.

easy hoss, I am not saying 5 or 6 top quality first teamers

2-3 first teamers

and 2-3 young prospects please

we usually supplement the youth a bit in the transfer window

and as for first teamers , mvila plus a wide man/striker as mike suggested and a left-back please with enrique's injury

that'll do me nicely as long as one of the kids is ryan gauld, maybe will hughes another and the third can be from some exotic foreign backwater

GTR63 wrote: »
    I hope your not suggesting Reina should of done better with that :eek:

He actually plased well in that game despite conceeding 3

Yes he made some good saves in that game, including one very good save earlier from Pogba, but his positioning and reflexes are well below those being shown by Mignolet, and I am glad we had the latter in goals for us last Saturday as I don't think the 2013 Reina would have made the saves Mignolet did.

And as for the goal in the gif, I do think Reina made a mistake although the gif
    does not really show it. As the ball travels to Pogba, Reina stays rooted to the right side of his goal, and leave a big space to his left. He was prone to doing the exact same thing with us over the past two or three seasons and was finding himself a couple feet out of postion on a regular basis when a shot came in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement