Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Never really liked Alan Carr.

yeah but his da is the greatest scout of all time apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

so it looks like mvila, ruiz, hughes and gauld, not bad, a lot of promise there but none of those are truly outstanding and our midfield will be overloaded.

We could do with a left-back and I'm glad to hear the latest rumours linking us with millwall's australian left-back, shane lowry, he's a fine player and gives us a bit of steel down the left, just annoyed he didn't declare for ireland as he'll be a top player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

donfers wrote: »
    hearing some reliable tweeters linking us with bryan ruiz, he wants out at fulham apparently and has fallen outwith Jol, has told us he wants to come and Rodgers is interested, two things may scupper the deal, if Jol is fired before January 31st then the new manager may insist he stays, the second is the fee, fulham want most of their 10 million back, lfc only prepared to pay half that

I don't want him, too lightweight, drifts out of games - no thanks
    Have seen a fair bit of Bryan Ruiz and would have to say that he isn't good enough for us. In fact, I don't think he is good enough for any Premier League team. The odd time Ruiz plays well, he is fantastic, but when he's bad, you might as well be playing with 10 men. For a big strapping lad, he is a complete baby. He will not work hard, he will pull out of tackles, he will not track back. When Rodgers talks about players with a winning mentality, I reckon Ruiz is the complete antithesis of that. He was so bad in his last match against Swansea he was booed off the pitch after a woeful performance. If a player is going to bottle it infront of 20k generally polite Fulham fans - he would complete crack playing infront of 45k Anfield fans who WILL get on his back if things don't go right for him.

Honestly, I think I would rather take Downing back than have Ruiz.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Johnson was poor at right back, and Skrtel was no better. Agger was a bit better than Skrtel but still not great. Flanagan was the only one of our outfield defenders that actually looked like he would bust a gut for the team on the day.
    We really need an organizer at the back. Things weren't perfect with Carragher, but we conceded about half as many goals from set plays as we have without him this season. Neither Skrtel or Agger seem to want to take command of the defence - hopefully either Sakho or Toure will take up the mantle.

Have seen a fair bit of Bryan Ruiz and would have to say that he isn't good enough for us. In fact, I don't think he is good enough for any Premier League team. The odd time Ruiz plays well, he is fantastic, but when he's bad, you might as well be playing with 10 men. For a big strapping lad, he is a complete baby. He will not work hard, he will pull out of tackles, he will not track back. When Rodgers talks about players with a winning mentality, I reckon Ruiz is the complete antithesis of that. He was so bad in his last match against Swansea he was booed off the pitch after a woeful performance. If a player is going to bottle it infront of 20k generally polite Fulham fans - he would complete crack playing infront of 45k Anfield fans who WILL get on his back if things don't go right for him.

Honestly, I think I would rather take Downing back than have Ruiz.

I agree with you to an extent, but is the lad even trying at Fulham anymore?, he's not motivated and wants out, he could be a different player for us

• Advertisement

I agree with you to an extent, but is the lad even trying at Fulham anymore?, he's not motivated and wants out, he could be a different player for us
    His confidence has been shot to bits and it is clear he wants out. Even then, I don't want him. When you look at our first choice front three of Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho, he is considerably well off the standard that they set. It makes no sense to me to bring in another fringe player when we have Sterling, Ibe, Borini, Aspas and Moses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

any player that doesnt try at any stage in his career is not a player we should want at liverpool. Never mind the fact he isnt very good anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We really need an organizer at the back. Things weren't perfect with Carragher, but we conceded about half as many goals from set plays as we have without him this season. Neither Skrtel or Agger seem to want to take command of the defence - hopefully either Sakho or Toure will take up the mantle.

A settled Sakho is very much a vocal organiser at the back, as anyone who has watched him at PSG will attest to, but how long it will take that ability/confidence to traverse the language barrier is anyone's guess.

Watching him play for France last week was a reminder of just how good he is at being an organiser and leader on the pitch. But that was him in a team with everyone speaking the same language as him, and also with some players that he has played with before in the past. Hope it happens a lot sooner, but I reckon it could be late this season or even next season before we see the leader at the back style player that he has been for PSG and France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

5starpool wrote: »
    He won't get to play at all unless one of them gets injured, and even then may be behind Moses in the pecking order. We don't have enough games to rest players, although over Christmas some rotation will be needed probably.

Ideally the rotation over Christmas will be done in the games before and after the Chelsea and City games .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I agree with everything Francie said, and I'll also add that Bryan Ruiz is Slow. Slower than Jonjo. In fact, I'd rather have Jonjo back, than take Ruiz.

Besides, where would you play him?

What we really need is a Starting CM with Fire in his Belly, not a Luxury CAM like Ruiz, who'll be Lucky to even be on the Bech.

• Advertisement

hopefully we'll make intelligent signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Awful injury news for Liverpool ahead of the game on Sunday......McShane is out for 2 weeks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

hopefully we'll make intelligent signings

I can see the club making 1 or 2 signings at most . I would hope a midfielder is top priority for January any other signing would be a bonus .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I can see the club making 1 or 2 signings at most . I would hope a midfielder is top priority for January any other signing would be a bonus .

My guess is a midfielder and a left back will arrive in January. Hopefully both will be first team starters and not squad players as Rodgers has indicated will be the case.

amiable wrote: »
    My guess is a midfielder and a left back will arrive in January. Hopefully both will be first team starters and not squad players as Rodgers has indicated will be the case.

I would be happy for a midfielder who is first team ready and as for left back I would move Johnson over there and let Flanagan , Kelly or Wisdom fight it out for the right back slot . I'm suggesting making do with what we have defensively to spend more on one player rather then buy two squad players .

I would be happy for a midfielder who is first team ready and as for left back I would move Johnson over there and let Flanagan , Kelly or Wisdom fight it out for the right back slot . I'm suggesting making do with what we have defensively to spend more on one player rather then buy two squad players .

Is Wisdom not away for the rest of the season? There seems to be doubts over Kelly's fitness/form since returning from injury. I'm not sure of Flanagan yet even though he did ok at the weekend. Glen Johnson was poor on Saturday himself.
    We need a left back brought in during the next window and I'd be surprised if one doesn't arrive.

Is Wisdom not away for the rest of the season? There seems to be doubts over Kelly's fitness/form since returning from injury. I'm not sure of Flanagan yet even though he did ok at the weekend. Glen Johnson was poor on Saturday himself.
    We need a left back brought in during the next window and I'd be surprised if one doesn't arrive.

I'm just of the opinion we need something in the middle more then anything and would happily play agger and even toure as full backs . I just really feel we are short in the middle and it will get punished . So I would prefer to see all the money available spent on a midfielder over anything else . I think we can get by with the defensive cover we have but over midfield really seems to be dis jointed .

I'm just of the opinion we need something in the middle more then anything and would happily play agger and even toure as full backs . I just really feel we are short in the middle and it will get punished . So I would prefer to see all the money available spent on a midfielder over anything else . I think we can get by with the defensive cover we have but over midfield really seems to be dis jointed .

I don't see why they can't sign both. Agger played left back before and was terrible there IIRC.
    Toure played RB this season too and was only average if that IMO.
    Left back is a problem position and I still think we can and should upgrade on Enrique. Enrique as back up would be ideal IMO.

I don't see why they can't sign both. Agger played left back before and was terrible there IIRC.
    Toure played RB this season too and was only average if that IMO.
    Left back is a problem position and I still think we can and should upgrade on Enrique. Enrique as back up would be ideal IMO.

I would agree with you on that but I do think if we had a decent midflelder to come into the first team it would improve the 1st team so much . At times it feels like the midfield gets over run and we invite pressure into ourselves because of this . I would love to see us sign a first team player for both positions because we are in with a shout of getting back into the champions league and we need to buy the players in January to make this push now . With it being a World Cup year too I'm sure a few players could be angling for a move so they are off to te world cup with their countries .

• Advertisement

I would agree with you on that but I do think if we had a decent midflelder to come into the first team it would improve the 1st team so much . At times it feels like the midfield gets over run and we invite pressure into ourselves because of this . I would love to see us sign a first team player for both positions because we are in with a shout of getting back into the champions league and we need to buy the players in January to make this push now . With it being a World Cup year too I'm sure a few players could be angling for a move so they are off to te world cup with their countries .

I'm not arguing about needing a midfielder. I'm with you there. I think we need both positions sorted and I think we will

I'm not arguing about needing a midfielder. I'm with you there. I think we need both positions sorted and I think we will

Oh I know your not but to me it's the midfield that had let us down the most this season so far . So I could live with only signing a midfielder if I had a choice right now . If we sign both well then :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was trying to have a bit of a look around there, but I cant seem to find any info on ilori. Is he getting any game time with the reserves at the moment, or is he still even at Anfield? I seem to remember their being a rumour of him leaving on loan to get some first team action

He is playing in the U21s - expect him tog out against a PSV side on Wednesday (or it might be Tuesday)

I'm presuming it's Henderson that will miss out if we sign a midfielder?

rarnes1 wrote: »

Depends who is signed. If it's a deep lying midfielder then that's unlikely IMO

I would leave Henderson in the team he deserves his place in my eyes . I would like to see the player being rotated and used abit more spariny would be Stevie . I think Stevie has a big role to play but to maximise it I would start cutting down on his game time .

Depends who is signed. If it's a deep lying midfielder then that's unlikely IMO

Then Gerrard could be moved further forward cos he wont be dropped?

I would leave Henderson in the team he deserves his place in my eyes . I would like to see the player being rotated and used abit more spariny would be Stevie . I think Stevie has a big role to play but to maximise it I would start cutting down on his game time .

What we want doesn't really matter! It's what is more likely to happen. Gerrard won't be dropped or rotated.

Then Gerrard could be moved further forward cos he wont be dropped?

But Gerrard wouldn't cover the ground that Henderson does and put as much pressure on the oposition defence

• Advertisement

But Gerrard wouldn't cover the ground that Henderson does and put as much pressure on the oposition defence

I know that!

I know that!

So that leaves Lucas to be dropped. He's probably close to another suspension anyway

What we want doesn't really matter! It's what is more likely to happen. Gerrard won't be dropped or rotated.

Oh I know that but you look at the game against Norwich we had an all action Gerard for 60 mins and then he was subbed . It would actually benefit Gerard too with the World Cup coming up I mean id say he is desperate to lead England out in Brazil . So of his game time this season is reduced so he can give the World Cup a right shot it's a benefit for both parties .

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Rodgers apparently now has 85 points in 50 league games as manager. Same as Dalglish got over 56 games.

http://backpagefootball.com/brendan-rodgers-50-league-games-with-liverpool/65931/

So that leaves Lucas to be dropped. He's probably close to another suspension anyway

We have differing opinions on Lucas afaik. I wouldn't be dropping him tbh.

Afaik, he's on 5 yellows. I think you receive one after 4 and 8. I could be wrong there though

Afaik, he's on 5 yellows. I think you receive one after 4 and 8. I could be wrong there though

I wouldn't drop Lucas either . He has 6 yellows this season afaik . He had already served a 1 match ban already over this and is 3 or 4 yellows off another one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

gary medal would be a good signing for ye lads, hes similar to mascherano

As you said yourself it's not about our opinions.
    Lucas has already been suspended for reaching 5 yellow cards this season.
    He's now on 6 and I think he could face another suspension the way he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

kevthegaff wrote: »
    gary medal would be a good signing for ye lads, hes similar to mascherano

Him and suarez in the same team, jaysus twas some left jab he landed on fellaini yesterday! Actually suarez has been pretty well behaved lately come to think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

klose wrote: »
    Him and suarez in the same team, jaysus twas some left jab he landed on fellaini yesterday! Actually suarez has been pretty well behaved lately come to think of it.

Don't jinx it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If we sign Bryan Ruiz I will stand outside the GPO and vomit all over the street.

Sweet Jesus,I hope this rumour is just a bad joke.

• Advertisement

If we sign Bryan Ruiz I will stand outside the GPO and vomit all over the street.

The good news is the fact he is 28 so I don't really think FSG would allow the transfer to happen unless it's a good deal as in he would nearly have to be free !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Yes and i think rightly so. I like the lad and he busts his gut for us but frankly he is just not good enough. I thought as time we on (and I've always been willing to give him time) he would develop into a better player but I just don't see it happening now tbh.
    If we want top 4 we will need a better standard then Henderson currently offers us IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The good news is the fact he is 28 so I don't really think FSG would allow the transfer to happen unless it's a good deal as in he would nearly have to be free !!!

Free would still be too much. He's a waste of air.

A quick twitter search and theres literally nothing about it, someone taking the piss/starting a bad rumour id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wonder if there is a chance of getting mata on loan. He will surely want games come Jan but I cant see where he can move to.
    Barca/ real madrid dont think he is quite at that level.
    City/ arsenal cant see chelsea selling to a title rival
    Utd only in a swap deal with rooney
    Spurs slight chance.
    PSG/ Monaco maybe.
    The reason I think we have a chance is that mourinho wont consider us a title rival and he has a good relationship with rodgers. If mata wants to go to the WC he will have to play games.
    Whether we need him or not is another thing as if we fitted him into the team with suarez, sturridge and coutinho we would be even more open in the middle than we currently are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ruiz attitude absolutely stinks. He has not tried a leg for Fulham the last month or too. Says a lot that he is their laziest player with Berbatov at the club!

lads, there were a lot of reservations about sturridge too remember, ruiz is not as bad as some are making out, however I would prefer us to aim higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I wonder if there is a chance of getting mata on loan. He will surely want games come Jan but I cant see where he can move to.
    Barca/ real madrid dont think he is quite at that level.
    City/ arsenal cant see chelsea selling to a title rival
    Utd only in a swap deal with rooney
    Spurs slight chance.
    PSG/ Monaco maybe.
    The reason I think we have a chance is that mourinho wont consider us a title rival and he has a good relationship with rodgers. If mata wants to go to the WC he will have to play games.
    Whether we need him or not is another thing as if we fitted him into the team with suarez, sturridge and coutinho we would be even more open in the middle than we currently are.

AFAIK you can't have 2 players over 23 on loan from the same club at the same time in the EPL. Moses is already on a season-long loan and turns 23 in December.

Open to correction on this so hope you're right about there being a good chance! Awesome player

Some italian journo (not the one who broke the sakho story iirc)

@FabRomano21: Yann M'Vila wants to join Liverpool. But is not easy to complete the deal with Rubin Kazan. Not easy for others too, Fernando and Matic #LFC

Linked with decent midfielders? Yay.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I must be the only one who likes Ruiz :p

Wouldn't be arsed with signing him I should also add.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement