Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just a bit from the today's Echo -
    In other Reds transfer speculation, Monaco could be set to compete with the likes of Liverpool and Juventus for the signing of PSG winger Jeremy Menez, according to L'Equipe.

The French international is out of contract with PSG at the end of the season, and the club may be open to cut-price offers for his services this January.

Menez could join the likes of Radamel Falcao, Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez at the newly-promoted side, leaving the likes of Liverpool to consider other options.

The Reds are known to be interested in signing a winger this January, and have also been linked with Atletico Madrid's Arda Turan. LMFAO.

Further afield, reports in Brazil suggest Liverpool are scouting Brazilian attacking midfielder Everton Ribeiro.

The 24-year-old versatile left midfielder plays for Cruzerio after coming through the academy ranks of Corinthians.

According to Brazilian newspaper Lancenet (they're reliable), representatives of Liverpool and Manchester United were in Brazil for the last few weeks to observe the player closely.

Unless Sakho can convince Menez to join us, looks like we'll miss out on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

It's encouraging to see that we're competing with big teams for top players.

Beats battling it out with the likes of Newcastle to sign the Stewart Downings of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

There's the CL alright but PSG seem to have the upper hand at the moment and will, I think, continue to do so for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

I think we should pull a fast one and go after Dembele. Honestly I think he's criminally underrated and I know it hasn't worked out for him at Spurs but I've seen the damage that man can do in midfield when he played with Fulham. I remember ourselves, United and Chelsea(?) struggling badly to contain him.

A big powerful energetic attacking midfielder with excellent technical ability in the Diaby/Toure mould. He could quite comfortably play the Coutinho role if/when he Coutinho is absent and can slot in easily behind him to add bulk to the midfield without the loss of creativity. He is of course another one off the Belgian production line and if Rodgers is looking for hungry players this man is desperate to play in the World Cup.

I know people will have reservations about his time at Spurs this season but listen, it happens sometimes it just doesn't work out. People would do well to remember Mascherano at West Ham before we took him. If we could get him for anything around the 13-16m range we'd be absolutely insane not to be looking at it. And if you think that would be a good addition in midfield, imagine adding the powerful Yann M'Vila to it too. I know I may be on my own thinking this but imo any team in this league would do well to bypass a midfield of Gerrard, Dembele, Lucas & M'Vila without busting an absolute gut.

Johnson---Sakho---Skrtel----Cissokho

M'Vila
    Gerrard

Dembele

Coutinho
    Suarez
    Sturridge

No you can't have your ball back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think we should pull a fast one and go after Dembele. Honestly I think he's criminally underrated and I know it hasn't worked out for him at Spurs but I've seen the damage that man can do in midfield when he played with Fulham. I remember ourselves, United and Chelsea(?) struggling badly to contain him.

A big powerful energetic attacking midfielder with excellent technical ability in the Diaby/Toure mould. He could quite comfortably play the Coutinho role if/when he Coutinho is absent and can slot in easily behind him to add bulk to the midfield without the loss of creativity. He is of course another one off the Belgian production line and if Rodgers is looking for hungry players this man is desperate to play in the World Cup.

I know people will have reservations about his time at Spurs this season but listen, it happens sometimes it just doesn't work out. People would do well to remember Mascherano at West Ham before we took him. If we could get him for anything around the 13-16m range we'd be absolutely insane not to be looking at it. And if you think that would be a good addition in midfield, imagine adding the powerful Yann M'Vila to it too. I know I may be on my own thinking this but imo any team in this league would do well to bypass a midfield of Gerrard, Dembele, Lucas & M'Vila without busting an absolute gut.

Johnson---Sakho---Skrtel----Cissokho

M'Vila
    Gerrard

Dembele

Coutinho
    Suarez
    Sturridge

No you can't have your ball back.

In fairness I think Dembele is well respected in this thread. I'd like to see him at Liverpool. Don't think Spurs would sell him to us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think many will have an issue with signing Dembele or his time at Spurs.

The issue is Spurs selling to us. They'd be beyond mental to, and I don't think Levy is anywhere near that daft.

That guy is a nightmare to negotiate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think many will have an issue with signing Dembele or his time at Spurs.

The issue is Spurs selling to us. They'd be beyond mental to, and I don't think Levy is anywhere near that daft.

Its always going to be a long shot if Levy has anything to say about it I know but with stories coming out this week that he's unhappy there and the Belgian coach saying his place in the World Cup squad is at risk. I'd be inclined to test the waters if I was Brendan Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Orly?

Bale out......

£100m spent on

Lamela
    Soldado
    Chadli
    Eriksen
    Paulinho
    Chiriches
    Capoue

To be fair nearly all of the above have age and time on their side.

Then again the same was said for all the signings post-Modric. And a good few of them didnt work out either (Dempsey, Adebayor, Dembele etc)

Levy may be a tough operator to deal with but you'd be hard pushed to argue it's been a successful transfer policy in recent seasons.

More to the point this summer was basically it for Spurs money wise. There is no way on earth they can go out and spend another £100m next summer. So these players have to come good and the signs are not good.

9 goals in 12 games is embarrassing to be fair. Players do need time to gel, settle in etc but that's still a very poor return on £100m worth of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Orly?

Bale out......

£100m spent on

Lamela
    Soldado
    Chadli
    Eriksen
    Paulinho
    Chiriches
    Capoue

To be fair nearly all of the above have age and time on their side.

Then again the same was said for all the signings post-Modric. And a good few of them didnt work out either (Dempsey, Adebayor, Dembele etc)

Levy may be a tough operator to deal with but you'd be hard pushed to argue it's been a successful transfer policy in recent seasons.

More to the point this summer was basically it for Spurs money wise. There is no way on earth they can go out and spend another £100m next summer. So these players have to come good and the signs are not good.

9 goals in 12 games is embarrassing to be fair. Players do need time to gel, settle in etc but that's still a very poor return on £100m worth of talent.

From fighting in the top, to 9th in the table, and going the wrong way it seems.

How long do you give a team time to gel? They dont seem to communicate that well...

On another note, when are we playing them :P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

3 weeks, I think.

I know a Spurs fan who gives me dogs abuse when we so much as draw with a team in the bottom half, so I'm living the high life provided by revenge right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Vicxas wrote: »
    From fighting in the top, to 9th in the table, and going the wrong way it seems.

How long do you give a team time to gel? They dont seem to communicate that well...

On another note, when are we playing them :P :)

We are saving all our goals for ye in 3 weeks time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

people writing Spurs off is mental tbh. Playing rubbish yes, but only four points off us. So what does that make Liverpool? Slightly better than rubbish?

people writing Spurs off is mental tbh. Playing rubbish yes, but only four points off us. So what does that make Liverpool? Slightly better than rubbish?

Lol, was thinking the same tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Who's writing them off? They're going through a rough spell and it's enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Grayditch wrote: »
    Who's writing them off? They're going through a rough spell and it's enjoyable.

Exactly.

If we'd had the start they have had - ie: only scoring, what, 9 goals in 12 matches, then there would be mayhem in here, despite their points tally not being disastrous.

We were top of the league and there was still plenty of negativity regarding our performances. There wasn't much talk that we hadn't clicked yet. There was plenty of talk about how lucky we'd been.

Spurs will come good, but hopefully it will be too late for this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suso slept over!
    Suso has apologised to the club, his team mates and fans and come up with a pretty lame excuse. He wasn't out partying, his dog didn't eat his alarm clock, he'd been up late watching The Voice. The TV programme, with different versions around the world, is a talent contest and Suso is obviously hooked.

Suso had set his alarm for 10am on Monday 25th November, which isn't too early for anyone to get up, even after being subjected to a singing contest. He missed the alarm and subsequently training. Even though the club have fined him they've tried to play down the incident and didn't drop him from the squad to play Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

On spurs paddy power has cut avbs odds to be sacked from 33/1 to 11/4 over night, little flurry had on him it seems. Be interesting to see if theres anything in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Marca suggest that Almeria taking it quite well could have something to do with a clause Liverpool put in Suso's loan deal. If he doesn't play 26 matches, 70% of the championship, then the Spanish club have to pay a €50,000 fine, but that doesn't sound like too much and he's already started 12 games this season.

If that part is true it's a very smart clause. Sending players out on loan, only for them to not play enough is crap.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If that part is true it's a very smart clause. Sending players out on loan, only for them to not play enough is crap.

Smart but worthless clause if the amount is only 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

5starpool wrote: »
    Smart but worthless clause if the amount is only 50k.

Probably a decent amount for a club like Almeria, and maybe enough to make sure they do play him.

He's pretty much their best player anyway so thwy wouldn't really any convincing

• Advertisement

Just watching a bit of that Ryan Gauld fella, hard to read too much in to him (and everyone seems to think Man Utd will sign him for some reason) from the edits - looks like a more attacking version of Jordan Rossiter.

Mini Derby Everton U18 v Liverpool U18 is at 12.00 its on the telly apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

They gave us Robbie for £20m or so.....we could probably wrangle Dembele away for £70m :pac:

Just wondering - what's the max you'd pay for Dembele? He's a very good player, seems to be exactly what we need, cool on the ball, physical presence....Belgian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Exactly.

If we'd had the start they have had - ie: only scoring, what, 9 goals in 12 matches, then there would be mayhem in here, despite their points tally not being disastrous.

We were top of the league and there was still plenty of negativity regarding our performances. There wasn't much talk that we hadn't clicked yet. There was plenty of talk about how lucky we'd been.

I have my doubts.

They are weaker without Bale and despite the reputations, the players signed in the summer are not that good IMO.

Of course some players take 12/18 months to settle however 30 million for a guy to sit on the bench or a goal scorer who can't score doesn't seem value for money.

Question for you guys, of all the players we were linked too but ultimately failed to sign in the summer - lucky escape or is there a particular player that could improve our current 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If it was much more than 20 then I would not be interested at all in Dembele. There are plenty out there who could do the same job. A year of SG winding down is still time for us to get a replacement and a year after that of SG playing the big games will still mean he can mentor another player coming through and still take a bit of pressure off the player by SG either starting or coming on in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

T-K-O wrote: »
    I have my doubts.

They are weaker without Bale and despite the reputations, the players signed in the summer are not that good IMO.

Of course some players take 12/18 months to settle however 30 million for a guy to sit on the bench or a goal scorer who can't score doesn't seem value for money.

Question for you guys, of all the players we were linked too but ultimately failed to sign in the summer - lucky escape or is there a particular player that could improve our current 11?

Still think Willian would have been a huge improvement on the side and still sore that we missed out on Mkhitaryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

T-K-O wrote: »
    I have my doubts.

Hard to say really. A player bought by another club and who flops may well have done well with us had we gotten him, and just as easily a player who is having a stunning season elsewhere may have struggled to settle had he joined us.

I think the hardest players to make guess about are probably the attacking players, especially the ones that rely on movement around them or a supply line.

Still think Willian would have been a huge improvement on the side and still sore that we missed out on Mkhitaryan

I watched him a couple of times this year and he looks a player. Willians attitude would worry me, Im not that bothered we missed out on him.

As the season has gone on, it looks like we need an all action midfield player rather than another attacking midfield player. Got me thinking, maybe it's a good thing we didn't spend big in the summer considering our limited budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Exactly.

AVB has dropped considerably in the odds for the sack. Before the weekend he was 33/1 to be sacked which understandably dropped to 11/1 following the trouncing at City but has continued to fall and is now at 5/1 which suggests there is money going down somewhere on this.

Spurs biggest problem is AVB trying to fit the players into his tactics and way of playing rather than developing his tactics and way of playing around the players he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

D'Agger wrote: »
    They gave us Robbie for £20m or so.....we could probably wrangle Dembele away for £70m :pac:

Just wondering - what's the max you'd pay for Dembele? He's a very good player, seems to be exactly what we need, cool on the ball, physical presence....Belgian

If I heard we had agreed to sign him for 25M I would be delighted. Proven Premiership quality. I don't think it will happen, I see him potentially getting sold but not to Liverpool unfortunately. Maybe 25m would tempt them?

Mata is another player who looks like he potentially might get sold, would happily pay 30M / 35M for him. Again proven premiership quality.

Plenty of links about Koke this morning.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hard to say really. A player bought by another club and who flops may well have done well with us had we gotten him, and just as easily a player who is having a stunning season elsewhere may have struggled to settle had he joined us.

I think the hardest players to make guess about are probably the attacking players, especially the ones that rely on movement around them or a supply line.

Good point, a guy struggling to score goals in (insert team) could very well enjoy playing up front for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Spurs would be very stupid to sack him, although I can see that a portion of the fan base just do not like him.

If Man City beat us 6-0, I'd expect a fair few to call for Rodgers' head. They'd be best ignored in our case too though.

If it was much more than 20 then I would not be interested at all in Dembele. There are plenty out there who could do the same job. A year of SG winding down is still time for us to get a replacement and a year after that of SG playing the big games will still mean he can mentor another player coming through and still take a bit of pressure off the player by SG either starting or coming on in big games.

Yeah would have to agree that 20 would be too high, and anything higher would just be silly money for him.

I do rate the guy, but as you say we could get similar quality players for less (not to mention younger and of similar quality)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Rumour:

Andy Carroll retires from football.

wtf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Rumour:

wtf ??

:eek: has to be fake...

billy2012 wrote: »
    If I heard we had agreed to sign him for 25M I would be delighted. Proven Premiership quality. I don't think it will happen, I see him potentially getting sold but not to Liverpool unfortunately. Maybe 25m would tempt them?

Mata is another player who looks like he potentially might get sold, would happily pay 30M / 35M for him. Again proven premiership quality.

Plenty of links about Koke this morning.

I really don't put a lot of stock in the whole premiership proven tag.

Were a number of our more recent big money signings not supposedly Premiership proven?

Carroll, Henderson, Allen, Downing.

Whereas a number of our lesser priced premiership proven players seemed to be the ones that settled quickly.

Mignolet, Sturridge, Enrique.

Then we have the likes of Suarez who cost big money, had no premiership experience and was coming from a league that often gets mocked on here, and what happens? He quickly establishes himself as our best player by some distance.

I'd say there's something in that as he retired from boards very recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That's sad news about Carroll if true.....he could have been a very decent target man for the right team. Felt sorry for him during his time at Anfield tbh...seemed to be trying hard but completely out of his depth.

re: Spurs - watched the highlights of the City game earlier on while waiting for my car to be fixed - they were extremely tactically naiive in playing such a high line so the blame for that lies with AVB. Soldado looks a bit lost in that team, they may have bought big on the wrong Spanish striker in the summer...Negredo looks a lot more suited to the English game.

Sacking AVB at this point would be crazy stuff; that team is bound to click at some point and they'll be breathing down our necks when they do. The fact that they're playing such sh1t and still within 4 points of us is very ominous imho

Liverpool kids to play Everton

Firth, Randall, Maguire, Cleary, Brewitt, Chirivella, Wilson, Phillips, Sinclair, Ojo, Kent

Subs: Jackson, Hart, Marsh, Canos, O’Hanlon

Good side.

Re Carroll, Sam didn't sound too confident of a quick return

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Rumour:

wtf ??

Odd one if true. He was at the West Ham game at the weekend and looked to be in good spirits in any of the pics online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I feel sorry for Andy Carroll . That must be a horrible thing to go through for a lad at such a young age . He could have had a career as a good target man and really could have offered England something at the World Cup .

Considering his situation, at Spurs, plenty of time on Contract and still only 26, I'd almost go as far as 20m for him.

Get Levy to sell for that and you're doing well, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Kess73 wrote: »
    I really don't put a lot of stock in the whole premiership proven tag.

Were a number of our more recent big money signings not supposedly Premiership proven?

Carroll, Henderson, Allen, Downing.

Whereas a number of our lesser priced premiership proven players seemed to be the ones that settled quickly.

Mignolet, Sturridge, Enrique.

Then we have the likes of Suarez who cost big money, had no premiership experience and was coming from a league that often gets mocked on here, and what happens? He quickly establishes himself as our best player by some distance.

I'm not sure of the point your trying to make? Cheap players that are 'proven' in the prem are the way to go?

I think the problem with the top 4 you mention is that they were all heavily over priced and not of Liverpool quality to begin with.

I believe Dembele is most definitely good enough for Liverpool right now, the fact that he is 'proven' in the premiership is definitely a bonus in my eyes.

Suarez is just a different animal all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jaysus that's awful if its true, so young. Liverpool knew he was crocked and did well to sell him for so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Considering his situation, at Spurs, plenty of time on Contract and still only 26, I'd almost go as far as 20m for him.

Get Levy to sell for that and you're doing well, in my eyes.

I think 20 would be the max we should be looking to spend, I'd be hoping to get a player like him for around the 18m mark but the transfer market is crazy thesedays

Don't see any mention of him retiring, tbh. Where is it being reported?

• Advertisement

I think 20 would be the max we should be looking to spend, I'd be hoping to get a player like him for around the 18m mark but the transfer market is crazy thesedays

Tbh, I think his true value is around the 12-15m mark, but when its Spurs, Levy, and our history with Allen and Henderson, there's no way we'd get him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its just a twitter rumour. But theres no smoke without fire as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I've got this really bizarre mental image of someone drawing a curtain around him and putting him down.

Pity all the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OK, mods, new thread, and be quick about it!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

5starpool wrote: »
    OK, mods, new thread, and be quick about it!

how long have you been wating :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement