Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick knife law related question

• 03-09-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi. I'll get to the point. I need a new knife. Reason? Obviously because it's practical, but mostly for fishing, otherwise I'd just keep it at home. Would never bring it to public places, who needs problems? I've been researching for an hour about knives but it's a mess. It's unclear, it says you need a good reason to have a knife. So for example if I'm going fishing and I get stopped by a Gardai and they spot the knife, I'm in trouble or something?

There is a SPECIFIC knife I'd want. Here's the link: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=23267&TabID=1

Would this be legal to order online or maybe order it to Slovakia and from there bring it to Ireland? Yes I'm foreign - don't post racist remarks, I'm a polite person. Thanks a lot in advance people, also not sure if this is the right section...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

See Q. 15 in the FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That's not a fishing knife.

However it could be used as one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

AncientW wrote: »
    It's unclear, it says you need a good reason to have a knife. So for example if I'm going fishing and I get stopped by a Gardai and they spot the knife, I'm in trouble or something?
    There are previous threads on knife laws in this forum. See here.

You have looked up the legislation but the legislation doesn't specify what lawful authority or reasonable excuse should be, exactly.

However, the legislation states that a recreational purpose amounts to a reasonable excuse.
    (3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

Fishing is a recreational activity. People have previously successfully argued that fishing was a reasonable excuse, in court. All of the relevant circumstances should be looked at though. The fishing excuse may not be very effective if somebody has a knife on them in a pub at 1am, but claims that he had been fishing earlier.
    There is a SPECIFIC knife I'd want. Here's the link: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=23267&TabID=1
    People often use folding knives like that for fishing. For example, this Opinel folding knife is commonly sold in fishing tackle shops around the country.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I suppose the main point is how you transport the knife. Plenty of people carry blades for work and recreation. Ideally, the knife should be stored away with other fishing equipment until it's required i.e., when you have arrived and are actively fishing, rather than throwing it into your pocket for the journey.

It comes down to common sense but the reality is that you could end up having to explain yourself to a judge if AGS do not believe you in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 AncientW

Ok so I guess I could put it to my fishing gear so that shouldn't be a problem. But I still have a question, can I order it online?

• Advertisement

Hmm. Looked at the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990 (Offensive Weapons) Order, 1991. So I think I can get the knife I want. Tho from reading the list of prohibited knifes... it's like no knife is allowed. I don't get the point of these extremely strict laws. It's not like a criminal gives a damn about what's legal and what's not, no law will stop him from harming others, this just prevents law respecting citizens from defending themselves. Anyway I'll just order it to Slovakia and from there it'll get sent here by post.

Why not ship it directly to Ireland?

Oh I didn't find a site that ships to Ireland within a reasonable price. From America for example its 15dollars +30$ handling so it would cost me like 80$ altogether...

Zambia wrote: »
    That's not a fishing knife.

However it could be used as one

I know. Fishing isn't the only purpose of it. There are many situations at home when you need a good knife for example if you're trying to fix something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I know. Fishing isn't the only purpose of it. There are many situations at home when you need a good knife for example if you're trying to fix something.

There is no issue if its at home from how I read the FAQ above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

op check out this site,militarysurplus.ie,its an irish site,nice selection of knives at decent prices and free delivery,
    i've gone fishin with lots of different knives,swiss army,kitchen knives and survival knives,
    keep it in your tackle bag till your on the riverbank,never carry it in your hand or pocket and you should never have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

this just prevents law respecting citizens from defending themselves.
    Those fish must be vicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

this just prevents law respecting citizens from defending themselves.

So it's not for fishing but "defending yourself" :rolleyes:

It's a an offensive weapon and not at all suited to fishing. There are plenty of knives available fit for this purpose. As a diver I obviously have a dive knife but you are looking for a "Uzi" knife? Get real. The State is perfectly entitled and right to control such weapons. I suspect neither the Gardai or Judiciary would be impressed if they caught you with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

"uzi knife" is just the name of it,come on get real,whats any knife?a blade and a handle,any knife can have many uses.

micosoft wrote: »

It's a an offensive weapon and not at all suited to fishing. There are plenty of knives available fit for this purpose. As a diver I obviously have a dive knife but you are looking for a "Uzi" knife? Get real. The State is perfectly entitled and right to control such weapons. I suspect neither the Gardai or Judiciary would be impressed if they caught you with this.

Most of what you have written here is incorrect or unhelpful.

The second post in the thread contains a useful link to a page on the Dept of Justice site, which summarizes the correct legal position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

mr lee wrote: »
    op check out this site,militarysurplus.ie,its an irish site,nice selection of knives at decent prices and free delivery,
    i've gone fishin with lots of different knives,swiss army,kitchen knives and survival knives,
    keep it in your tackle bag till your on the riverbank,never carry it in your hand or pocket and you should never have a problem.

Very good advice. I have just shown your knife picture to a Garda. He said unless you can clearly be seen to be heading or coming from a fishing expedition you would have a case to answer.
    He said that if you were in normal clothing on the street you would be arrested for carrying that type of knife

Victor wrote: »
    Those fish must be vicious.

Just when you thought it safe to go to the toilet "JAWS 3"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Lbeard

Have you though of getting a scissors?

thumb_COLOURBOX5360882.jpg

How would they catch me with it if its in my fishing bag? :D And no i never said i will use it for defending, i said that its just not right that you are not allowed to defend yourself. :)

• Advertisement

mr lee wrote: »
    "uzi knife" is just the name of it,come on get real,whats any knife?a blade and a handle,any knife can have many uses.

Simple answer, i like it. Oh and I don't want it cause its UZI, it just looks good to me :)

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Very good advice. I have just shown your knife picture to a Garda. He said unless you can clearly be seen to be heading or coming from a fishing expedition you would have a case to answer.
    He said that if you were in normal clothing on the street you would be arrested for carrying that type of knife

Thanks a lot for asking a Gardai about it! Much appreciated. I guess I'll just order it.

How would they catch me with it if its in my fishing bag? :D And no i never said i will use it for defending, i said that its just not right that you are not allowed to defend yourself. :)

They'll expect you to have a fishing rod if you're carrying your fishing kit. I suggest you take up a less cumbersome hobby.....such as knitting......you can do a little bit of knitting anywhere: On the bus, outside the pub, down dark streets.....very calming hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Santa Cruz wrote: »

You'd be arrested for carrying any type of knife in the street without a good reason, there's nothing special about this one.

Wait... I've read your post again. It's an offensive weapon? What? You can use nearly ANYTHING as a weapon, e.g fist, glass bottle. It's not a weapon unless you use it as one, which I NEVER intended to do. And the government can't ''control'' knives. Unless every Gardai would be checking everyone all day searching for knives in their pockets :D You have crazy ideas man.

Blay wrote: »
    You'd be arrested for carrying any type of knife in the street without a good reason, there's nothing special about this one.

I agree with you. The Act is there. I didn't mean to differentiate between knife types

And the government can't ''control'' knives.

Unless every Gardai would be checking everyone all day searching for knives in their pockets :D You have crazy ideas man.

They do check people for knifes. One night I was standing beside a kid who the Garda were interested in talking to. The Garda asked him to empty his pockets. And he had some kind of short thing - it looked like a nail file, with a plastic handle. The Garda asked him why he had it, and he said because his brother had been stabbed recently and he wanted it for self defense. This wasn't a good answer, because next thing they had the kid on the ground and they were kneeling on his back. ....I don't know, had he said he had a keen interest in buffing his nails, would they have let it pass.

Advertisement