Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents Insurance

Options
  • 03-09-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Just a few questions about this as I know nothing about it but have accumulated enough of my own stuff in a rented property that I wish to insure against fire and theft.
    I know nothing about it so welcome any info on what insurance companies offer it, costs etc. Also info on what % of an items cost of replacement would expect to receive back if you had a claim ? Also does contents insurance cover art work or would you have to get different insurance for that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just a few questions about this as I know nothing about it but have accumulated enough of my own stuff in a rented property that I wish to insure against fire and theft.
    I know nothing about it so welcome any info on what insurance companies offer it, costs etc. Also info on what % of an items cost of replacement would expect to receive back if you had a claim ? Also does contents insurance cover art work or would you have to get different insurance for that ?

It covers the reinstatement cost of the items assuming you have the information at the time of the claim to substantiate each item. All items to a policy limit will be included and anything over the policy limit would need to be specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Pretty much all insurers will offer contents insurance; ring around and see who gives the best price. Most seemed to be more or less the same price for me (around €140 for the year) but I found that RSA offered the best level of cover in that they cover a lot of content outside of the home as well as in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Muahahaha wrote: »

Items over a specific value would have to be declared. The cost of the insurance is related to the declared value of the contents, so if you claimed a "Work of Art" worth several million, they would increase the premium accordingly, and also insist on certain security measures.

They would also want some form of official valuation of the works in question, they might not take your word for the value.

Advertisement