Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fibre providers

• 03-09-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭

UPC - N/A
    Eircom - unlimited, bad reputation
    Vodafone - quality, but capped.
    Sky - no info yet
    Digiweb - quality, expensive
    UTV - no info yet

Did I miss any?

Personally I want to know my options before I sign the contract with the devil. I read so many angry posts about Eircom and their customer service, it makes me think twice.

My requirements are quite simple. I don't care much about download speed. I need steady 2-3 Mbps upload speed for streaming on twitch.tv - so reliability and stability.
    Another thing - monthly caps, so far I am easily reaching 350GB per month with SmartBB. I still don't get it why IE and UK can't be like any other normal EU country removing those crazy caps, but rant aside...

Kinda obvious that Eircom is the only choice, but maybe there's something I missed? Maybe some actually happy customer?

I live within 500m of 2 VDSL cabinets, if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You missed out Digiweb and UTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

raymix wrote: »
    UPC - N/A
    Eircom - unlimited, bad reputation

There fixed it for you...and it's VDSL

Voda and probably Sky whenever they decide to resell are just that resellers of eircom VDSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bealtine wrote: »
    There fixed it for you...and it's VDSL

Voda and probably Sky whenever they decide to resell are just that resellers of eircom VDSL

While that's true, the resellers own network plays a huge part in the quality of the service as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kaizersoze wrote: »
    While that's true, the resellers own network plays a huge part in the quality of the service as well.

Absolutely agree...but the backhaul stuff has little importance in delivery to the home, it's more about customer "experience" e.g. congestion mostly...

Sky (to date) haven't got the necessary backhaul in place, perhaps that's why they are delaying their rollout?

My point though is it's not fibre it's VDSL:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Thanks, Eircom it is then.

Do you think it'd be wise to switch to eircom BB now and get that upgrade? Or just wait till it comes out and switch directly to fibre from Digiweb/Smart? Can't find any info on whether transfer will cost me an arm and a leg or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you switch now then eircom will upgrade you to fibre for free when it is available in your area. The only drawback is that you will have to enter into a new 12 month contract when they upgrade you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

ElNino wrote: »
    If you switch now then eircom will upgrade you to fibre for free when it is available in your area. The only drawback is that you will have to enter into a new 12 month contract when they upgrade you.

Thanks, everyone seem to suggest that lately. Any idea of price when switching directly to fibre from different ISP?

Advertisement