Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

GavRedKing wrote: »

After the transfer window debacle I dont think I can get any madder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well I think they needed a playmaker and bought a troublemaker .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

New thread woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Guys say his to Ed Woodward

ragecomic.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lads I was out for some of the transfer window yesterday.. When i left it was nearly set in stone that we where getting Herrera.. What happened.. my brother said something about fake Man Utd reps ?... can someone fill me in.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

New thread and a new midfielder.

Woodward is finally learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

For me its not necessarily the players we lost or got but the embarrassment to the club, we were made look very bad after clubs and players turned us down time and time again... That's not the Man Utd we are used to or want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No confirmation on Coentrao yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

They were trying to be shrewd and ended up looking stupid. If they did have clear targets in mind, which I doubt that they did, they should have just paid the realistic amount needed to secure them instead of trying to be cheap. I'm sure man Utd have played hard ball with a lot of these clubs before and they couldn't wait for the opportunity to play hardball back.

Everton last night are a fine example, they only sold their man when they were happy with the business that they did themselves. If those deals fell through we would have not got fellaini.

What needs to happen now is the club need to take swift action if it has been ascertained that incompetence was the cause of recent month's shambles.

I'm reluctant to blame anyone without hearing the full facts. Unfortunately we'll never know the full facts.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Woodward should be sacked after the shambles yesterday and all summer. He's clearly not up to the job of negotiating and getting clubs to sell. His reputation in the eyes of other clubs after yesterday won't be much better either which won't help with any potential future signings. Gill at this moment in time seems like a bigger loss than SAF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What I really want to see now is someone from the media hammering United over this. Its not really right to through it all at Moyes in a press conference as he can't criticise Woodward but someone needs to answer for this mess.

I would have been happy 2 months ago if United bought Fellaini and said "We're done." But this is worse than Odenwingie turning up at QPR. It's embarassing. I can only imagine what the Spanish clubs think of United now. We've messed around with two of them. Maybe even 3 if the Contraeo thing turns out to be another fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

NeVeR wrote: »
    Lads I was out for some of the transfer window yesterday.. When i left it was nearly set in stone that we where getting Herrera.. What happened.. my brother said something about fake Man Utd reps ?... can someone fill me in.

thanks.

That's the jist of it but would be wiser and easier to google it tbh

Can I ask one thing... Is the Contrao deal dead 100%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

So disappointed we missed out on Coentrao. Classy player but we should have done our business a lot sooner. On the plus side, we might see some activity in the January transfer window.

Trilla wrote: »
    That's the jist of it but would be wiser and easier to google it tbh

Can I ask one thing... Is the Contrao deal dead 100%?

Who knows. Just wait a week and I'm sure it will be cleared up by then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All reports I'm seeing are saying that player and united had signed forms but real withheld as they didn't do the business they wanted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I thought surely we'd do better business that Arsenal but man I was fair wrong

max life wrote: »
    On the plus side, we might see some activity in the January transfer window.

I wouldnt bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Absolute shambles of a day, its Manchester United, not some low/mid level team. United shouldnt be looking for the scraps from the "big" guys like a loan deal for Contreo (sp?) at the last moment.

They should be signing the best there is.

They have the 2nd highest average attendance in Europe, possibly the biggest fan base in the world, rakes in millions in tv rights, recently signed the biggest sponsorship deal in history (on top of all of the mickey mouse deals recently) and is about to have Nike and Adidas fighting over the shirt deal.

Glad sideshow has signed but still disappointing that the outlook doesnt look great. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Humiliating is how the guardian put it, embarassing is how the telegraph put it...absolutely spot on. yet those who were saying this were labelled pathetic little children or something like that yesterday and about 20 posters agreed with it.

Think that was my post, and I was referring to you and a few of others behaviour all summer long. Not specifically yesterday (so stop twisting it), as clearly sh!t went down yesterday which was not becoming of United.

Very happy with Fellaini, and if all the other stuff hadn't happened people would probably deem the transfer dealings to be satisfactory.

As it stands, there is a rage out there that is being fuelled by Sky sports, the Rags and Guillerm focking Ballague. It would be nice if the club came out and made some concrete statements on what happened.

Very disappointed to wake up to the Coentrao deal falling through as I thought that was a nice little kicker, however it does also point to how badly the whole thing was handled the fact that that whole deal was so last second.

David Moyes should be fine because I think our squad has a very strong look to it now that we have that extra body for CM and with who we kept but I think Ed Woodward should say something publicly.

Gonna try and keep it real myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Poor Baines, he was only worth 500k :-p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

joe316 wrote: »
    Absolute shambles of a day, its Manchester United, not some low/mid level team. United shouldnt be looking for the scraps from the "big" guys like a loan deal for Contreo (sp?) at the last moment.

They should be signing the best there is.

They have the 2nd highest average attendance in Europe, possibly the biggest fan base in the world, rakes in millions in tv rights, recently signed the biggest sponsorship deal in history (on top of all of the mickey mouse deals recently) and is about to have Nike and Adidas fighting over the shirt deal.

Glad sideshow has signed but still disappointing that the outlook doesnt look great. :(
    Solely down to the Glazer's penny pinching. Why else do you think they got someone from the finance department to do their transfer dealings for them?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If we play the right first 11 we will be ok but the question is will we ? That right first 11 includes nani and kagawa so i have my doubts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

So disappointed we missed out on Coentrao. Classy player but we should have done our business a lot sooner. On the plus side, we might see some activity in the January transfer window.

I don't think the January window is long enough for us to get a deal done in.

What is it open for again? A month?? Not a chance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

On the one hand I'm absolutely delighted that Fellaini has signed. I think he'll improve our midfield considerably. Another centre mid would have been nice, but we've got a really strong team now. On the other hand Woodward simply needs to resign. His shenanigans have dragged the club's reputation through the mud, and his scrambling for last-minute deadline day deals surely makes his position untenable. It has hampered our start to the league and it's just not good enough.

Of course Woodward will keep his job, and the club will spin this as us getting our guy and that all is well. The official club website is already engaging in some minor PR manouevres by reporting that Fellaini has signed for an "undisclosed fee". Who do they think they're fooling? The club absolutely need to explain this farce and heads need to roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    Think that was my post, and I was referring to you and a few of others behaviour all summer long. Not specifically yesterday (so stop twisting it), as clearly sh!t went down yesterday which was not becoming of United.

ah come off it, yesterday was just the cherry on the cake, it carried on from what was happening all summer. you labelled people children for calling the club embarrassing and pathetic and what not and these people were 100% right for calling the club that. you took a personal obsession with me and a few others all summer, constanly on our back, constantly looking for any small reason to belittle us so you could at least have the decency to retract your statement and apologise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

On the plus side, we might see some activity in the January transfer window.

Probably at 10.59pm on the 31st of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Our new era:

Summer signings 5/10 (needed a creative player)
    Process 1/10
    Woodward 1/10
    Moyes 5/10 (Giggs v Liverpool, wtf? But I'm patient)
    Keeping important players 9/10 (lost a point because rooney needs a slap. Although maybe he got it...)

Star performers: the three amigos in Spain on deadline day, whoever they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

UNITED WE STAND

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm beyond fuming at what a shambles this transfer window was, whatever about yesturday we had week to get this sorted and only managed to embarrass ourselves. It looks like we are adapting Arsenals transfer regime.

Ok so we got Fellaini, who wa what? Our 5th choice signing beyond Thiago , Fabregas , Herrera , Khediera?? Shocking that we didn't get Herrera what in te god was going on there?

I'm sorry lads but I really think we need to brace ourselves for this season it's going to be a rocky one. I support Moyes and am all for giving him a chance but weather it was his fault or Woodword they make a balls of this transfer window and we are going to pay the price.

Man City , Chelsea , Tottenham all bought well and Arsenal even got bloody Ozil in. Fellaini will add steel in the midfield not creativity and we needed that as well.

Moyes needs to use the players his has well and start getting the best out of them Kagawa is our key to unlocking defences. But him in the ****ing lock already.

De Gea

Rafael Rio Vidic Evra

Carrick Fellaini

Nani Rooney Kagawa

RVP

That's a fantastic first 11, full of very good and world class players. Fellaini adds a lot to our first team and at least he improves significantly over Cleverley/Anderson. At least we have someone in the middle who can win physical battles and also has skills on the ball.

Valencia, Hernandez, Welbeck, Cleverley, Anderson, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Fabio, Zaha, Young, Buttner as options. That's a fantastic team.

Our second team would be.
    Lindegaard

Jones/Fabio Evans Smalling Fabio/Buttner

Cleverley Anderson

Valencia Welbeck Young

Hernandez

Giggs and Zaha beind third choices. Very good squad and we have improved our first 11. Could have delt this transfer window lot better, but at least it's better than not addressing the weak link for one more year.

Like few said, keeping Rooney, Nani was a huge positive news when whole summer it looks for sure they will be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

ah come off it, yesterday was just the cherry on the cake, it carried on from what was happening all summer. you labelled people children for calling the club embarrassing and pathetic and what not and these people were 100% right for calling the club that. you took a personal obsession with me and a few others all summer, constanly on our back, constantly looking for any small reason to belittle us so you could at least have the decency to retract your statement and apologise for it.

A) Put your willy away and stop waving it
    B) Yesterday was the first day of actually seeing some embarrassingly late moves confirmed
    C) Does not justify you and a few other posters screaming blue murder the last 2 months - it was becoming annoying let the truth be known
    D) No one belittled you Homer - they tried to talk in a positive/optimistic light, but you shouted them down with multi negative posts and anyone who disagreed with you was 'attacking', or 'belittling' you.......
    E) You called it........so fair play, you just had a horrible way of expressing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know said this it's about my 4th time

But keeping Rooney Nani and Evra was a big plus.

Transfer front was disappointing.

Were we ever realistically going to buy more than 1 CM? I always thought it was odds against although I did hope against hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yay, great transfer window!!!
    So happy we finally got our midfielder while purposely bumbling about to create the smokescreen in which to do the deal. Genius, that Woodward is a wily old fox.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I'm beyond fuming at what a shambles this transfer window was, whatever about yesturday we had week to get this sorted and only managed to embarrass ourselves. It looks like we are adapting Arsenals transfer regime.

Ok so we got Fellaini, who wa what? Our 5th choice signing beyond Thiago , Fabregas , Herrera , Khediera?? Shocking that we didn't get Herrera what in te god was going on there?

I'm sorry lads but I really think we need to brace ourselves for this season it's going to be a rocky one. I support Moyes and am all for giving him a chance but weather it was his fault or Woodword they make a balls of this transfer window and we are going to pay the price.

Man City , Chelsea , Tottenham all bought well and Arsenal even got bloody Ozil in. Fellaini will add steel in the midfield not creativity and we needed that as well.

Moyes needs to use the players his has well and start getting the best out of them Kagawa is our key to unlocking defences. But him in the ****ing lock already.

That's BS. We made bid for Fellaini lot earlier than Herrera and Khedira.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

ah come off it, yesterday was just the cherry on the cake, it carried on from what was happening all year. you labelled people children for calling the club embarrassing and pathetic and what not and these people were 100% right for calling the club that. you took a personal obsession with me and a few others all summer, constanly on our back, constantly looking for any small reason to belittle us so you could at least have the decency to retract your statement and apologise for it.

Regardless of what happened yesterday I still don't agree with how you behaved all summer, so I won't retract anything.

I am sorry if you took it personally, I did not intend it that way but I just happen to disagree with alot of your posts and particularly the way you post and the wording you use.

You may have been right in the end and some sh!t stuff happened yesterday but it doesn't mean it was right to be carrying on the way you did in July.

I would still like to hear to the full facts of what happened and I am certainly not embarrassed to be a United fan this morning, find that baffling if you must!!

Looking forward to posting with you on the games. Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Did you lot get Coentrao in the end? Fellaini is a decent signing but paying 4m+ more than his release clause is a joke, Everton must be laughing.

Yea, we all woke up this morning p1ssed off at how Woodward has gone about things, but for me, it could only be judged on what goods he got over the line this morning, before I can be damning enough. Always said i'd wait until after the window to pass judgement and I can see the squads compared.

Fellaini - Delighted we signed a CM. Delighted we signed him. But why so late? Why pay 27.5m for him at close to 11pm when we could have sorted all this? I know Ive read stuff about Min Fees being paid in all one go, but it needs to be explained.

I agree with a poster above that the media should go to town on the club and demand answers. I feel sorry for Moyes, as its more Woodward that needs to answer them.

Herrara - WTF?! If the club didn't send reps to the La Liga offices, yet it was on SSN for hours we did, why didn't they release a statement and clear it up??? Shambles.

Coentrao - Was a silver lining in yesterday's woeful activity. Now that seems to be scuppered. Not the club's fault as it seems Real pulled the plug. But again, why leave it so late? Why not have this wrapped up? Why not have the Herrara deal wrapped up? They bid 30m.........they knew it was a 36m release clause.......it's 6m more to cement deal.

The Ozil thing - Yeah, he's a great player. But did we need him? It would of been great excitement though.

Really want some answers from Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Well we signed someone by my 2000th post. However I did have to stop posting for around 8 hours to ensure it happened!

I'll save the 2000th post for something good.

Well we signed someone by my 2000th post. However I did have to stop posting for around 8 hours to ensure it happened!

I'll save the 2000th post for something good.

Like what? :)

• Advertisement

master-t wrote: »
    Like what? :)

We've signed a CM and we're going to win the league!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember getting lambasted by few over the Dembele speculation last year and I took a lot of **** last year and even this past few months from some in here

But

I did say Nani would stay and I pointed that out a number of times even though every newspaper said otherwise. I also said Evra looked like changing his mind even though newspapers said otherwise.

I'm not looking for thanks or sweet FA credit on good source. But I took it on chin for long enough and never reacted.

They were the major 2. Few others were on the ball too.

So if you don't like it tough **** cause I'm having my fun for once ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

master-t wrote: »
    Really want some answers from Woodward.

The only thing i want to hear from him is "my position is untenable and i am resigning".

Its amazing, Ferguson said to "get behind your new man", yet Woodie and the board were obviously off signing up deals for lifetime supplies of tyres and watches and didnt listen.

interesting to hear if TheDoc still backs him this morning after his rants yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I remember getting lambasted by few over the Dembele speculation last year and I took a lot of **** last year and even this past few months from some in here

But

I did say Nani would stay and I pointed that out a number of times even though every newspaper said otherwise. I also said Evra looked like changing his mind even though newspapers said otherwise.

I'm not looking for thanks or sweet FA credit on good source. But I took it on chin for long enough and never reacted.

They were the major 2. Few others were on the ball too.

So if you don't like it tough **** cause I'm having my fun for once ;-)
    I said Rooney would stay, when others were convinced he was off to PSG, i had absolutely no source at all but unlike Kew, I want credit and thanks, even a basket of muffins if you really want to show your appreciation.

The only thing i want to hear from him is "my position is untenable and i am resigning".

Its amazing, Ferguson said to "get behind your new man", yet Woodie and the board were obviously off signing up deals for lifetime supplies of tyres and watches and didnt listen.

interesting to hear if TheDoc still backs him this morning after his rants yesterday.

Woodward has a lot to answer for I completely agree with you. I want to hear what the fook happened with Herrara, why so late for Fellaini. But we have been led down the garden path this year by journos and media sources about players we are in for / not in for etc.

I have my theory on it.

I think that because SAF ruled the press room, he had so much say and influence on what journalists wrote about the club. If a journo wrote some absolute BS, he risked being banned from MUFC press meetings. Moyes doesn't have this. I feel that the journos have run riot this summer - linking us with all sorts.

Now, I know its far fetched, but I do think the power has shifted within the media room as the journos are not afraid of Moyes as they were Sir Alex.

I said Rooney would stay, when others were convinced he was off to PSG, i had absolutely no source at all but unlike Kew, I want credit and thanks, even a basket of muffins if you really want to show your appreciation.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I predicted we'd wait until Fellaini's buy out clause expired so we'd pay more for him, possibly in an effort to sweeten a deal for Baines. I think I was pretty close! :D

This makes me sad.

Kagawa to fight for his place

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8904153/
    Kagawa said: "Tough times are continuing, but all I can do is to work hard."

Asked whether he would be staying at Old Trafford, he added: "Yes, that's right".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Part of me is giving the club the benefit of the doubt on Fellaini in that there is a general agreement between clubs not to activate buy out clauses. If that’s the case and as I suspect the deal was actually done and dusted mid-day yesterday and withheld to help Everton with their own dealings then fair enough. Not ideal but defendable.

The fiasco with how the club operated in Spain is beyond comprehension. If we were not in for Thiago as the player himself seems to indicate then why not just deny it? Gives professional liars like Hunter and Balague nothing to write about.

Fabregras would have made my summer. Why go for your number one target with an initial bid of £10M less than Barcelona paid only two seasons earlier and has actually improved as a player since then? Beyond understanding and utterly indefensible. Woodward's behaviour here is laughable and all indications are the player himself was pimping himself out to United, yet they failed to land him though their laughable behaviour.

Herrera was a great shout and for the comparable amount of €36M it was not that expensive a transfer. Why oh why stall when the player himself was willing to reduce his wages to aid the transfer? Again a major embarrassment and Woodward needs to be questioned. These 'imposters' are a side note, should not be the focus of what happened yesterday.

Coentrao is not United’s fault, Real made him available for a loan deal and then seem to have withdrawn that deal themselves. United did their bit in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

its amazing that Sir Alex and David Gill managed to wallpaper over all the cracks in United over the Years.

Over 700 FT employees including Scouts and we are left looking like mugs.

1 F%&KING SIGNING and a trail of embarrassing situations left behind.

I remember Sir Alex and Moyes saying there is a structure of Professional Staff so Moyes should be able to slip right in and will get all the help he needs. WTF.

You could have given Accrington Stanley £100m and they would have got better signings with less fuss.

F$%KING SHAMBLES of a club.

And to think over the Christmas transfers, it would be lucky if any club or players go near united with Woodlward at the helm of transfers.

United will need to be speaking to clubs starting TODAY about signing players at Christmas if you want to see signings

F%&K F&%K F$%K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really hope Kagawa is given a proper chance now - we need his creativity. If he plays for Japan and doesn't end up playing against Palace i'm going to be pissed.

Also, as an aside, shocked Nani and Rooney remained at the club - especially Rooney.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement