Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

i remember you saying it yesterday.

fair play

But I think Paddy Power made a boo boo! I dont think Utd announced Fellaini officially before Fulham did theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

No, I don't accept this at all. I said it earlier in the summer, but why can people accept that a club can have four top strikers, but three midfielders would seemingly be a recipe for disaster?

I see no reason why three top midfielders could not rotate well over the season, especially if the third is a more creative central midfielder. With around fifty games a season, even playing two from three will see all of them getting plenty of gametime. And when it comes to the big games, sure we play three in midfield as it stands anyway. The only difference would be instead of Giggs and Cleverley we are playing some proper midfielders.

Anderson should be that third. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One thing I will say, hopefully the media foray and **** that has gone down creates that siege mentality that sometimes gets a little more out of players. I think we have always done well when the team felt the world was against them, or thought they were not good enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Surprised we didn't get a picture of Fel in a jersey today, in Old Trafford.

Or is that another casualty of the internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

TheDoc wrote: »
    One thing I will say, hopefully the media foray and **** that has gone down creates that siege mentality that sometimes gets a little more out of players. I think we have always done well when the team felt the world was against them, or thought they were not good enough

Spot on, I agree. I think when our backs are against the wall, we show our true colours. Was always the way with Fergie, so hopefully the players are able to respond.

We did :)

article-2408682-1B9789C1000005DC-379_634x718.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Feck SSN, just got my hopes up there saying that we managed to make a second signing last night..... then went on to say it was a 17 year old Swiss teenager.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

We did in deed

fox007 wrote: »
    We did in deed

Ah, hadn't seen that one. Had seen him with the jersey in the training top, but glad to see the pic. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just in case there is any doubt, PayPal was obviously my first suggestion.

I'll post back in this thread if he ever pays.

You what the next step is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Dont know if its been mentioned but United have signed 17 year old Saidy Janko from FC Zurich for an undisclosed fee. Right sided player of Swiss, Italian and Gambian descent.

Edit:
    United seal Janko signing

Manchester United made a second signing ahead of the deadline by agreeing a deal with FC Zurich for teenager Saidy Janko.

The 17-year-old right-sided player impressed Reds representatives at this year's FIFA Blue Stars Tournament when he played against United and enjoyed a successful trial spell at the Aon Training Complex.

Zurich will receive an undisclosed sum for Saidy, who was born in Switzerland but has a Gambian father and a Swiss/Italian mother.

Although versatile, he is believed to feature most regularly at full-back and will look to initially make his mark in the lower age groups with United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

markc1184 wrote: »
    Dont know if its been mentioned but United have signed 17 year old Saidy Janko from FC Zurich for an undisclosed fee. Right sided player of Swiss, Italian and Gambian descent.

Edit:

I'll have to look this chap up in Football Manager when I get home.

Forgot to add: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That kid is meant to be excellent by what I have read. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Don't know if posted. Fellaini to wear #31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

The more I think of it the more satisfied I get with the signing of Felliani. I think he will suit our style of attacking play perfectly and will work his socks off for the team. He may not be a big name on the international scene in the same mould of your Ronaldos and Messi but he will do a decent job in our midfield

I pretty much completely agree with that. A second signing would have been nice, but I think Fellaini will be an instant improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Any significance to number 31?

It's 13 backwards, bad luck.

Or... good luck actually, I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Bar 7 and 9, 31 was actually the lowest number available it seems.

7 and 9 must be on hold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Maybe Fellaini realised how stupid it looks when Chelsea's number 9 was given to yer man, what's his name??? When it was so obvious he's not a striker.

Oh and they gave it to Khalid Boulharouz as well..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That kid is meant to be excellent by what I have read. Hopefully.
    Fingers crossed. Varela is a bit old to be our 'promising' right back ;-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pj! wrote: »
    Bar 7 and 9, 31 was actually the lowest number available it seems.

7 and 9 must be on hold...

Henriques had 21 but would have assumed it became free when he went on loan.

Saddens me united don't have. Number 7, says something about the squad IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

markc1184 wrote: »

Edit:

Amazing. This kid is special. I am a huge fan of the swiss league and watch it all the time. He has the potential to be the next Phillip Lahm. This has totally made up for the shambolic window.

lol jk I have no ****ing clue who he is. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Saddens me united don't have. Number 7, says something about the squad IMO.

Do you not think Rooney, Kagawa, van Persie or Nani would be worthy holders of number 7?

If so, I don't see how you can say it says something about the squad. We have plenty of outstanding flair players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Our last 2 number 7's are 2 of the most boring flairless players in football so can't say I'm too bothered about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just back from work. Have been out of touch. What happened to the Coentrao deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Just back from work. Have been out of touch. What happened to the Coentrao deal?

I still haven't seen a proper update but looks off due to Real not getting cover.

Seems to be United got things sorted in time but Real didn't, due to the fact they were after another player and didn't get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

They were trying to negotiate it with Atletico Madrid and then they realised he was playing for Real Madrid and it was too late :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Seems to be United got things sorted in time but Real didn't, due to the fact they were after another player and didn't get him.

But dont cha know. Other teams can't be at fault man. Tis all Woodwards fault. Our club is in the midst of a relegation dogfight because the first man to address the CM issue in 6 years only signed 1 CM. (1 CM more than Gill and Fergie in 6 years but thats irrelevant) The absolute tosspot. Only new to the job too. I know all the United fans berating him certainly take like a duck to water in any new endeavor they undertake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Any substance to that rumour that was going around that Coentrao would go LB and Evra LW if we bought him?

Seems strange because we were really going after Baines as well, which probably would have meant the same thing with Baines going LB and Evra going LW or vice versa

Maybe Moyes has a fetish for left backs turned wingers.

Any substance to that rumour that was going around that Coentrao would go LB and Evra LW if we bought him?

Seems strange because we were really going after Baines as well, which probably would have meant the same thing with Baines going LB and Evra going LW or vice versa

Maybe Moyes has a fetish for left backs turned wingers.

Evra in his more recent years is a better attacker than defender imo. Wouldn't be a bad shout imo. Considering we don't have a left footed left winger atm. Nani on right Evra on left. <3 Maybe Moyes was onto something with attempted Baines signing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Evra is not even close to being good enough going forward to be a winger tbh.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But dont cha know. Other teams can't be at fault man. Tis all Woodwards fault. Our club is in the midst of a relegation dogfight because the first man to address the CM issue in 6 years only signed 1 CM. (1 CM more than Gill and Fergie in 6 years but thats irrelevant) The absolute tosspot. Only new to the job too. I know all the United fans berating him certainly take like a duck to water in any new endeavor they undertake.

Are you honestly defending Woodward? or just on this deal? Also only a lunatic would blame Moyes considering ol Woody is doing the deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

After a summer of disappointment in the transfer market is it time that Manutd appoitmented a Director of Football? Who would be good enough to come in and deal with the transfers and work along side Moyes and Woodward? It worked well at Arsenal and hasn't done to bad at Spurs. Maybe now is the time the club the board might decide it is time for a change?

Revista de la liga on SS2 now with Balague and Hunter.

• Advertisement

Evra is not even close to being good enough going forward to be a winger tbh.

Better than playing Welbeck or Young out there, and while Nani is much better his talent is wasted on the left. He's miles better on the right
    Are you honestly defending Woodward? or just on this deal? Also only a lunatic would blame Moyes considering ol Woody is doing the deals.

Specifically on this deal however people are overreacting to the fact we only signed one CM. Fergie and Gill failed to strengthen that particular area several seasons in a row (and after getting our asses presented to us on a plate in two CL finals) Why is THIS year the year the CM HAD to be strengthened, why not last year or next year or two years ago or immediately after 09 final. Woodward will likely have learned his new trade the hard way and will be much better in the market in the coming transfer window imo and he rightly deserves another shot at the market imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

After a summer of disappointment in the transfer market is it time that Manutd appoitmented a Director of Football? Who would be good enough to come in and deal with the transfers and work along side Moyes and Woodward? It worked well at Arsenal and hasn't done to bad at Spurs. Maybe now is the time the club the board might decide it is time for a change?

Mike phelan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Mike phelan?

Not exactly the first response i was expecting :eek::D

Better than playing Welbeck or Young out there, and while Nani is much better his talent is wasted on the left. He's miles better on the right

Specifically on this deal however people are overreacting to the fact we only signed one CM. Fergie and Gill failed to strengthen that particular area several seasons in a row (and after getting our asses presented to us on a plate in two CL finals) Why is THIS year the year the CM HAD to be strengthened, why not last year or next year or two years ago or immediately after 09 final. Woodward will likely have learned his new trade the hard way and will be much better in the market in the coming transfer window imo and he rightly deserves another shot at the market imo.

Im happy with Fellaini but in fairness we still need a bit of creativity unless......ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Im happy with Fellaini but in fairness we still need a bit of creativity unless......ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

See in my ideal world we'll play 4-3-3 with Fell, Carrick as two holding and Kags in front of them with Roo, RvP and Nani somehow making up the attacking trio. It works in fifa therefore it must work irl. Fellaini isnt the worst at creating ach oiread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Khedira said we bid for him last night

See in my ideal world we'll play 4-3-3 with Fell, Carrick as two holding and Kags in front of them with Roo, RvP and Nani somehow making up the attacking trio. It works in fifa therefore it must work irl. Fellaini isnt the worst at creating ach oiread.

Posted a similar formation last year got scolded :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

As soon as Fellaini picks up an injury we're back to square 1 again. To say I'm unimpressed with this transfer window would be an understatement. This isn't the last we've seen of Giggs in CM for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hell no. Moyes needs to step up and be the main man, the manager should be king, not some board room patsy.

The devil is in the details.

Its nice being able to say "Oh we signed a midfielder", but looking at things rationally there seems to be no reason we could not have signed Felliani months ago and for less money, and therefore had the rest of the transfer window to further improve the squad.

And asking why the CM had to be strengthened this year is just silly. What, you really think our options were good enough? Of course they weren't, so they needed strengthening. That Fergie royally ****ed up with regards to the midfield in past years in no way absolves Moyes in his own dealings in this window.

Posted a similar formation last year got scolded :(

We can dream...
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    As soon as Fellaini picks up an injury we're back to square 1 again. To say I'm unimpressed with this transfer window would be an understatement. This isn't the last we've seen of Giggs in CM for a while yet.

Ah now. Thats like saying if Bale gets injured for Real they are worse off than before? If Ozil gets injured for Arsenal they're back to square one.
    Yeah. If the player(s) you sign get injured you are back to where you started from. That is literally always the case with every team that has ever signed a player in the history of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ah now. Thats like saying if Bale gets injured for Real they are worse off than before? If Ozil gets injured for Arsenal they're back to square one.
    Yeah. If the player(s) you sign get injured you are back to where you started from. That is literally always the case with every team that has ever signed a player in the history of the world.

Which is why you should always buy from a position of strength. After all, if Bale gets injured they only have Isco and Di Maria, if Felliani gets injured we are back to Giggs. Hardly comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

We can dream...

Who replaces Bale when he gets injured? Coentrao, Marcelo, DiMaria maybe.
    Not that much of a step down.

Who replaces Fellaini when he gets injured? Cleverly Giggs Anderson.
    A pretty big step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wonder would Cantona be interested in being a director of football. That'd be some bloke to send into a room to negotiate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

yeah they ask him to make an offer and he goes on about seagulls and the meaning of life, buys ronaldo for a box corn flakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

GSPfan wrote: »
    Wonder would Cantona be interested in being a director of football. That'd be some bloke to send into a room to negotiate.

Chairman: "We wont accept less then £35m"
    Cantona: "New generations begin with beautiful birds"
    Ch: "Ok......£30m"
    Ca: "We start with the seagulls and cheese"
    Ch: ".....just take him and get out"
    Ca: "Au revior"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement