Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rio FerdinandVerified account
    @rioferdy5

"@MohdAbdulwahed: @rioferdy5 i love your defending man" > you missed my last couple of games obviously. #WillDoBetter

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/386037999647346688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sorry that I piss you off so much but I'm going nowhere. If you don't like my posts you can ignore me or leave. I really don't get the total hostility on this forum.

It was an open discussion that was debateable. Not everyones going to agree on the same things and just because I'm a United fan doesn't mean I have to agree that Carrick and Rio were deserving of a spot on the team of the year.

Well here is part of the problem I guess. Is it based on the second half of the previous season and the first half of the next or only the first half of the season of that year?
    The award has been presented since the 1973–74 season and the shortlist is compiled by the members of the players' trade union, the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), in January of every year, with the winners then being voted for by the other players in their respective divisions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In other news, rumors of a new Nike deal are starting to circulate
    Are Manchester United set to renew their kit deal with Nike? The M.E.N. has discovered that the Reds' Twitter account today followed two of the US company's accounts on the social networking site.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/twitter-follow-sparks-new-united-6140963#.Uk7iUlCEGgo.twitter

De Rossi admits he considered UTD
    Roma’s Daniele De Rossi has confirmed Manchester United enquired about him during the summer and admits that he considered making the move, but changed his mind

http://www.prideofalleurope.com/2013/10/rossi-admits-he-considered-united-move-but-club-were-too-slow/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Man U take it on GK and CF.

Arsensl take the rest of the pitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BloodBath wrote: »
    Sorry that I piss you off so much but I'm going nowhere. If you don't like my posts you can ignore me or leave. I really don't get the total hostility on this forum.

It was an open discussion that was debateable. Not everyones going to agree on the same things and just because I'm a United fan doesn't mean I have to agree that Carrick and Rio were deserving of a spot on the team of the year.

Well here is part of the problem I guess. Is it based on the second half of the previous season and the first half of the next or only the first half of the season of that year?

What you have to understand Bloodbath is that these threads are not the place for debate. They exist for b*tching/whining about your team and the rest of the time for proclaiming how great your teams players are and backslapping all round. There is no middle ground and any dissenting voice gets shouted down.

Personally, I think Carrick had a better season than both Toure and Gerrard so I disagree with you somewhat. I'd have had him ahead of them last season.

However I can see the point you are trying to make and you are not crazy by any means. It's just a lot easier for the clique to mock you rather than debate with you. It requires less effort on their part and makes them feel smugly superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,402 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On the possible Nike deal - it could happen but they are going to pay through the nose at this point; the period of exclusive discussions ended a while back, so United could (and very likely are) talking to a number of companies ramping the price up.

Heard Warrior were VERY interested in paying a big price to snag United. Hopefully not, based on the liverpool kits this season (home one is nice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

gosplan wrote: »

Cods wallop

Kirby wrote: »
    What you have to understand Bloodbath is that these threads are not the place for debate. They exist for b*tching/whining about your team and the rest of the time for proclaiming how great your teams players are and backslapping all round. There is no middle ground and any dissenting voice gets shouted down.

Personally, I think Carrick had a better season than both Toure and Gerrard so I disagree with you somewhat. I'd have had him ahead of them last season.

However I can see the point you are trying to make and you are not crazy by any means. It's just a lot easier for the clique to mock you rather than debate with you. It requires less effort on their part and makes them feel smugly superior.
    So, for clarity, you are saying the majority here are being dicks to him - while you don't claim any issue with BB slagging us off and questioning our ability to discuss reasonably?

Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cods wallop

Never thought about how funny that phrase is.

But they do, and it's not really that debatable provided of course you're talking about the Ferdinand and Vidic of now and not 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

So, for clarity, you are saying the majority here are being dicks to him - while you don't claim any issue with BB slagging us off and questioning our ability to discuss reasonably?

Read over the last few pages. A poster posts a somewhat controversial opinion and instead of debating him he gets juvenile remarks about his sanity, about how he should just leave the thread and silly gifs and the like.

And he never slagged anybody off. He pointed out that very few posters were actually engaging in the discussion......merely mocking him. It's frankly pathetic.

Read over the last few pages. A poster posts a somewhat controversial opinion and instead of debating him he gets juvenile remarks about his sanity, about how he should just leave the thread and silly gifs and the like.

And he never slagged anybody off. He pointed out that very few posters were actually engaging in the discussion......merely mocking him. It's frankly pathetic.

So when he said we were all biased and his mates would have a good laugh at us and our opinions, thats fine - yeah?

But they do, and it's not really that debatable provided of course you're talking about the Ferdinand and Vidic of now and not 3 years ago.

Youre trying to say that 9 of 11 best players from both clubs world be arsenal players?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yacob, Cork and Britton were all better than Carrick as defensive central midfielders last season. So I would definitely have any of them ahead of him in a team of the season. Carrick is still wildly overrated by the majority who don't understand how important close control is for central midfielders. It's always been the same with CMs in England.
    I really don't get the total hostility on this forum.

The fact that you accuse everybody of breaking the charter whenever they criticise your opinion and the fact that you have a habit of pretending that you said something different from what you actually said when called on an opinion would be why I don't like you. Hope that helps.

So when he said we were all biased and his mates would have a good laugh at us and our opinions, thats fine - yeah?

Actually I think the inference regarding his mates is that they sound just like the posters.

Would take Rafael at right back. Would certainly take Vidic. Evra at LB over Gibbs too, imo.

Their midfield sh1ts all over ours, but I would say attack, defence (overall) and GK are better at United - at least when on some form of form.

• Advertisement

Lol at the idea of Arsenal's defenders being better than United's.

Actually I think the inference regarding his mates is that they sound just like the posters.

So, when he said he friends see HIM as a red tinted specs biased fan, and they'd have a laugh at us and our opinions - he was saying his mates sound like the posters. Yep, that seems like a far more likely reading of it. of course.

Bollocks. There's plenty of room for dissenting voices in here. If somebody goes around acting like a knob end however, when the time comes that they say something contrary to the majority opinion then they will be dismissed out of hand. That's a result of acting like a knob end, not a result of being a dissenting voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Holy crap. West Brom actually released a DVD of the 2:1 win against us last weekend. £9.99

front-cover-man-utd-game_420_420_131004115531.jpg

Pro. F wrote: »
    Bollocks. There's plenty of room for dissenting voices in here. If somebody goes around acting like a knob end however, when the time comes that they say something contrary to the majority opinion then they will be dismissed out of hand. That's a result of acting like a knob end, not a result of being a dissenting voice.

Surely a post should be judged on it's content. On it's own merits.

Is it not a poor sign to think "Oh here comes Pro.F. I know him. Whatever he says I'll agree with". Of course it is.

The inverse is also true. Dismissing what he's saying because of what he may or may not have said in the past says more about you than it does about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Complete bollix tbh. There's been loads of debate and controversial opinions over the summer on here, some from new posters too. In fact I'd say this summers thread was the most argumentative Superthread in god knows how long with polar opposite views being expressed.

It's when someone comes out of nowhere a makes a succession of IMO ludicrous statements that the alarm bells start ringing.

We have had the Superthread decimated by some serial wums in the last couple of years, so much so the thread was unreadable.

I can't take Bloodbaths posts seriously. I don't think he believes them himself. It's a drip drip of bollix for the fun of it and should be dismissed as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

kstand wrote: »
    Cant believe he sees nothing in Kagawa.
    Who said so? Moyes?
    Your whole post is naive tbh.

Slagging you off? Where and who did I slag off?

I've had comments like this directed at me for asking an honest question.
    I'm not sure which I should doubt most, your sanity or your sincerity.
    Please somebody get this guy out of here.
    The fact that you accuse everybody of breaking the charter whenever they criticise your opinion and the fact that you have a habit of pretending that you said something different from what you actually said when called on an opinion would be why I don't like you. Hope that helps.

My accusation was against 1 person who did break the charter. I won't bring it up again. In future I will just report the post.

For your second point I'm not pretending anything. Please point out where I have changed what I have said in the most recent discussion. I asked an honest question like this.
    Considering there was 4 midfielders chosen last year though, one being Carrick, do you really think he deserved a place in the team of the year ahead of Michu, Cazorla, Toure, Fellaini, Gerrard, Walcott?

And got responses like this.
    I'm not sure which I should doubt most, your sanity or your sincerity.
    Please take this guy away from this thread.
    I've been sure it's the latter for a day or two now.
    For as long as you have posted in here, anything you have said has been rubbish. You now want us to argue that because Walcott wasn't a United player, he didn't get in the team.

You've regularly tried to wind us up.

Please somebody get this guy out of here.
    LOL.

Anyone who watches football.

Says the guy who claimed Gerrard and Yaya Toure should have made the team ahead of Carrick.

Did I say Toure and Gerrard should be ahead of Carrick or did I ask should Carrick be ahead of all of those players? I don't need to change my story. Others do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is it not a poor sign to think "Oh here comes Pro.F. I know him. Whatever he says I'll agree with". Of course it is.

The inverse is also true. Dismissing what he's saying because of what he may or may not have said in the past says more about you than it does about him.

You're far more likely to read posts by people if you respect their opinion. Just like you're also far more likely to dismiss posts out of hand if it's by someone who just wants attention/posts crap.

adox wrote: »
    Complete bollix tbh. There's been loads of debate and controversial opinions over the summer on here, some from new posters too. In fact I'd say this summers thread was the most argumentative Superthread in god knows how long with polar opposite views being expressed.

It's when someone comes out of nowhere a makes a succession of IMO ludicrous statements that the alarm bells start ringing.

We have had the Superthread decimated by some serial wums in the last couple of years, so much so the thread was unreadable.

I can't Bloodbaths posts seriously. I don't think he believes them himself. It's a drip drip of bollix for the fun of it and should be dismissed as much.

So anything you disagree with suddenly becomes a ludicrous statement. Talk about hyperbole.

Suggesting that Paul McShane is the greatest footballer to ever live is a ludicrous statement. Suggesting that Carrick perhaps didn't deserve to be in team of the season, is not. It's not a position I agree with but that's not the point. Carrick has always been a divisive figure. It's not an outlandish position to take. Certainly not as much as you are making it out to be.

You are mistaking agreeing/disagreeing for debating/dismissing.

It's perfectly reasonable that previous experience of debating style would effect one poster's approach to another.

So anything you disagree with suddenly becomes a ludicrous statement. Talk about hyperbole.

Suggesting that Paul McShane is the greatest footballer to ever live is a ludicrous statement. Suggesting that Carrick perhaps didn't deserve to be in team of the season, is not. It's not a position I agree with but that's not the point. Carrick has always been a divisive figure. It's not an outlandish position to take. Certainly not as much as you are making it out to be.
    sugesting he perhaps did't deserve it is one thing.

Saying it was purely down to biased somebodies that he got in the PL team of the year and in no way deserved it, and that anyone who thinks he did deserve it is simply biased - is very different.

BB did the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I know I'm barking up the wrong tree saying that on a United thread anyway.
    If a United winger had those stats he would have been on the team of the year.
    I'm sorry but the opinions in here are very very biased. No wonder United fans get a bad rep from other supporters. warranted.

Rio is awful. I don't buy the crap that he was good last year. He wasn't and he's even worse this year. He's been on a fast downward decline in the last few years.
    To be honest I think moyes has now put himself in a situation where if he loses the next league game he will get the sack.

He needs to win the next 4 on the trot.

This guy has come out with some classics such as these and it's not even the half of it. I'm not bothered trawling through the other stuff but I remember the Januzaj is on the same level to Kagawa stuff too. And then the 2 warnings and the constant criticism of the modding and the moderators. And the constant complaining about his ridiculous posts being ridiculed. And the little snipes.

No that's not what I said. Anything I think is ludicrous is ludicrous in my mind. There's plenty I disagree with on here but don't think is ludicrous. Have you read back over the rest of his/ her posts? Don't know why you are fixating on the Carrick one only.

I don't honestly think that poster holds all, if any of those views and tbh we are playing right into their hands by discussing it ad infinitum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've had comments like this directed at me for asking an honest question.

You didn't get all those negative comments for asking one honest question, and I suspect you are fully aware of that fact. It is your posting history that led to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

BloodBath, how do you feel about De Gea? Will he ever be good enough for a top PL team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

BloodBath, how do you feel about De Gea? Will he ever be good enough for a top PL team?

tsssss

Yacob, Cork and Britton were all better than Carrick as defensive central midfielders last season. So I would definitely have any of them ahead of him in a team of the season. Carrick is still wildly overrated by the majority who don't understand how important close control is for central midfielders. It's always been the same with CMs in England.

Good ol Pro.F. Insightful a lot of the time and a subtle humour sometimes that gives me a great laugh. Along with Mikey definitely my favourite poster :) Where is Mikey btw? Come back Mikey!!

Was just thinking we haven't seen nearly enough of Mikeyt recently.

Edit: and any humour is completely unintentional on my part :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK guys, cut out the bickering. Any problems with posts or posters report the post - do not comment in-thread. I'll leave the regular mods to deal as they see fit with some of the posts made in this thread this evening

Thanks

3 points at weekend would cool few down for hour or two

Was just thinking we haven't seen nearly enough of Mikeyt recently.

Edit: and any humour is completely unintentional on my part :o

Unintentional as it may be the "Hope that helps" bit in your previous post gave me a chuckle :pac: Yeah thread needs more Mikey!

mewe wrote: »
    Unintentional as it may be the "Hope that helps" bit in your previous post gave me a chuckle :pac: Yeah thread needs more Mikey!

perv.

perv.
    Oh behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

At best, it'll stop this place boiling over completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

True, only for an hour or two though.

On the other hand, 0 points and red alert will be activated with Martial law soon to follow in the streets of Manchester.. so some opposition fans are saying anyway..

Either way I'm sure Moyes is feeling some pressure tonight.

I've had 10 times the amount of snipes if you want to call them that directed at me than I have given back but whatever.

I've been nothing but polite and articulate and simply wanted to hear why people think Carrick is as good as they think he is as I don't understand it.

I have definitely made some controversial statements especially about Moyes which was fueled by emotion more than anything. I don't like the way the club is going and anything he has done with it so far but that's not what was being discussed today.

My comments about Rio being past it and that he should be dropped were called idiotic. Do you still think it's idiotic?

But it seems people here like to hold a grudge and think I'm just trolling and are unwilling to accept different viewpoints. Others blow my statements out of proportion like the Kagawa/Januzaj comment. It was actually another poster who suggested they were at the same level and I agreed and said imagine what Jan will be like when he's Shinji's age. I will stand by saying Jan is at least at the level of Kagawa in certain areas of his game and ahead of him others while obviously lacking his experience. I don't think that's all that ludicrous a statement.
    I think Januzaj's contract runs to the end of next season, not this season.

Regardless though, the longer it goes on the more likely it feels he'll be off - and another to add to the list of ones that got away.

Have to say I do find it surprising how much Moyes seems to rate him, given how his basically the same player as Kagawa, with less experience.
    Except he's 18 and Kagawa is 24. He's at the same level despite being 6 years younger. Imagine what he will be like when he's 24? They should renew his contract now and give him higher wages instead of letting it run down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

True, only for an hour or two though.

On the other hand, 0 points and red alert will be activated with Martial law soon to follow in the streets of Manchester.. so some opposition fans are saying anyway..

Either way I'm sure Moyes is feeling some pressure tonight.

He would want to be feeling some pressure as he has to win, we could potentially be 11 points behind after 7 games..

What about that bet offered BloodBath regarding Moyes being fired in January? You never did respond to the offer?

Don't worry. I'll be gone before then. I thought this would be a good place to have some decent open discussions about the team I support but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

X was amazeballs, just look at the stats. Is not always great argument.

Look at the stat about carrick being the best forward passer in Europe as of April last season, it doesn't mean he was just because of a number getting associated with him.

Carrick was obviously fantastic last season and a key player in a successful team, end of. More than worthy of his place in a team voted on by his fellow professionals.

Don't worry. I'll be gone before then. I thought this would be a good place to have some decent open discussions about the team I support but obviously not.

Nothing to lose for you then if you take the bet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The thought of not getting 3 points tomorrow shouldn't even cross our minds tbh. We're into match 2 of a run most people thought should see is get 5 wins out of 5, and we've already lost one of those games. We need to win tomorrow, and we should expect to win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's hard to have a decent discussion when one side of the discussions' opinions seem out of touch with reality.

Some of the stuff posted is akin to one of us going into the Chelsea thread and saying Mata was dropped rightly on the back of his terrible season last. It's just strange.

adox wrote: »
    Nothing to lose for you then if you take the bet.

I've obviously upset a certain clique of people here so I'll just leave it. You already won.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement