Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe we'll be treated to

Do Gea
    Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
    Carrick
    Nani Kagawa Januzaj
    Rooney RvP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do Gea
    Carrick
    Nani Kagawa Januzaj
    Rooney RvP

That's only a treat if your looking to leave the defense exposed all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You guys rate Smalling over Evans at CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Nuts102 wrote: »

I think we should throw caution to the wind. I'm fed up with our conservative approach to games. It's no wonder we've scored so few goals from open play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Trilla wrote: »
    You guys rate Smalling over Evans at CB?

I don't know why for 100% certain, but yes I would prefer to see him play over Evans, I think Evans is a fine defender. I think Smalling could be the next Rio though so would prefer to see him get game time to develop

I wouldn't mind a Jones and Carrick midfield to be honest, as long as Moyes uses that as an anchor for 4 attacking players in front of them, he probably won't do that though.

We've used Fellani and Carrick as holding midfielders the last couple of games and he hasn't done it. Replacing Fellani with Jones won't change much either.

Do Gea
    Carrick
    Nani Kagawa Januzaj
    Rooney RvP

I'd love that although I read somewhere that RVP is doubtful??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If rvp is out, it would be nice to see kagawa behind rooney today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If rvp is out, it would be nice to see kagawa behind rooney today

Surely we will as ando, fellaini and potentially rvp is out.

Might be chico, clev, rooney, giggs/Jones and Carrick though, with the wings going to nani,Val or young

• Advertisement

Distinct lack of Welbeck in a lot of predicted line ups :)

If you can't play that team against Sunderland then who can you play them against?

If you can't play that team against Sunderland then who can you play them against?

Plymouth?

I don't see why you would want to play that team against anybody it leave you too exposed. I would rather play a formation we will be playing most of the season.

I don't see why you would want to play that team against anybody it leave you too exposed. I would rather play a formation we will be playing most of the season.

They should never be exposed. We should be defending as a unit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Do Gea
    Carrick
    Nani Kagawa Januzaj
    Rooney RvP

A treat? A terat for Sunderland maybe. That left side would be crucified,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    A treat? A terat for Sunderland maybe. That left side would be crucified,

i can't see why anyone would look at how Moyes has set us out in every game so far, and think we'd go that attacking today.

reckon we will be as defensively set as ever - just depends who is fit as to how we actually go. Hear fitness tests for Rooney and RVP. Fellaini, Rio and Anderson all left in Manchester.

Carrick and Cleverley surely to play midfield, maybe with Giggs.

To see a front 6 of

Carrick---Jones
    Nani---Rooney---Kagawa
    RVP

is something I would settle for, let Jones be destructive, give the ball to Carrick to feed to one of the more creative and let the magic happen

Im guessing we will see (if all fit)

Valencia----Carrick---Cleverley----Giggs
    Welbeck
    Rooney

Be a great game to start Chico though

i can't see why anyone would look at how Moyes has set us out in every game so far, and think we'd go that attacking today.

Because so far it hasn't worked for him. He's under pressure. We're playing a weakish team (albeit I think today could be tough) and we have the actual players to play that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

kryogen wrote: »
    Im guessing we will see (if all fit)

Valencia----Carrick---Cleverley----Giggs
    Welbeck
    Rooney

Be a great game to start Chico though

If Valencia AND Giggs start with Januzaj, Kagawa and Nani on the bench it will be a disgrace.

Not overly surprising mind, just a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I see either Jones Carrick partnership or Carrick Cleverley today. Think we will see one of Nani or Kagawa for sure today and a possibility of both if Jones is alongside Carrick.

If RVP is out I wouldn't be surprised to see the five above all start with Rooney up top on his own.

A combination of Rafael and Nani on the right would be sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Please be fit to play RVP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

How are RVP and Rooney picking up all these knocks in training. Coincidence or poor training methods? Hope both are fit to start today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jones played well against Liverpool and I would have no issue with him playing in midfield today.

For me the counter attacks that caught United out v WBA last week and City are less likely to cause the same damage with Jones in the team.

Especially when Carrick played in a tough game on Wednesday, the energy of Jones will be important.

nuxxx wrote: »
    How are RVP and Rooney picking up all these knocks in training. Coincidence or poor training methods? Hope both are fit to start today

Have read some of the players think training is too intense and causing them injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

nuxxx wrote: »

i'd say poor training methods. has to be, that or Moyes's tactics. Moyes's fault anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    I don't know why for 100% certain, but yes I would prefer to see him play over Evans, I think Evans is a fine defender. I think Smalling could be the next Rio though so would prefer to see him get game time to develop

Evans is better at everything over Smalling imo. Great with the ball at his feet, confident, good at reading the game and the last ditch stuff, really unlucky not to be undisputed first choice at the moment imo.

Liam O wrote: »
    Evans is better at everything over Smalling imo. Great with the ball at his feet, confident, good at reading the game and the last ditch stuff, really unlucky not to be undisputed first choice at the moment imo.

I prefer Smalling myself - think he is going to be world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Evans for me. Though I do like both and could definitely see them developing a good partnership if given time down the track. But as individuals right now, Evans is the better player in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Evans wouldnt be as good in the air form me. Though he has improved on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Quandary wrote: »
    If Valencia AND Giggs start with Januzaj, Kagawa and Nani on the bench it will be a disgrace.

Not overly surprising mind, just a disgrace

We could see giggs, young and valencia start today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Good at reading the game and good at the last ditch stuff don't go together.

If your good at reading the game your unlikely to need any last ditch tackles.

Players who make last ditch tackles are usually deemed better defenders because they make these last ditch tackles.

West Brom are releasing a DVD to celebrate their win over united.

wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Actually think playing Giggs might be wise move today.

I must be going daft in head but there i go

Evans gets overlooked for some reason. Had a brilliant season for Sunderland then lost his confidence for a year or two. When called upon the last two seasons he has been very good. For all this world class potential Smalling is meant to have he is still very unproven at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I rate both Evans and Smalling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Danye wrote: »
    Good at reading the game and good at the last ditch stuff don't go together.

If your good at reading the game your unlikely to need any last ditch tackles.

Players who make last ditch tackles are usually deemed better defenders because they make these last ditch tackles.

Would it not depend on the scenario?

A player making a successful last ditch tackle because he made a mistake with his positioning is different to a player using his ability to read play so he can get into a position where he can make a last ditch tackle after other players made a mistake, or the defence is outnumbered by attackers (and so on).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Surprised Jones isnt being mentioned in all of this. Even though he gets thrown around a lot I still think CB is his best position given an extended run there. Also didn't Ferguson single Jones out in his last couple of weeks in the job as the best prospect to become world class

Surprised Jones isnt being mentioned in all of this. Even though he gets thrown around a lot I still think CB is his best position given an extended run there. Also didn't Ferguson single Jones out in his last couple of weeks in the job as the best prospect to become world class

I think Jones is just unfortunate that he is 5th choice cb. He is only playing when out of position. I know people will say he is too good to be loaned. But he would benefit a lot more from playing regularly for a top premiership team than getting a run out in cm or rb every few games.

• Advertisement

Actually think playing Giggs might be wise move today.

I must be going daft in head but there i go

Don't see any scenario where starting Giggs is a wise move. He's been awful this season and his whole game seems to revolve around silly flicks.
    I think its daft having a player who's also a coach.

I think Jones is just unfortunate that he is 5th choice cb. He is only playing when out of position. I know people will say he is too good to be loaned. But he would benefit a lot more from playing regularly for a top premiership team than getting a run out in cm or rb every few games.

Jones needs to learn how to tackle properly as most of his injuries come from going in awkwardly on opposition players. He's a big strong lad but his technique is terrible.

JRant wrote: »
    Jones needs to learn how to tackle properly as most of his injuries come from going in awkwardly on opposition players. He's a big strong lad but his technique is terrible.

He is not going to learn sitting on the bench or playing out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It doesn't matter what I think or what you would be confident of. If a player had performed well then he will have deserved to be picked in a team of a year, thats it. Its not picked on ability, its picked on performance.

It is not possible for a centre back to be shíte in the air and still play well, let alone play better than every other CB in England. That's the bit that you are failing to grasp.

The only way that a CB who is shíte in the air could play the best in England for a season is if the general performance of centre backs had fallen to the level of complete ineptitude. As far as I'm aware that has never happened.
    Using your logic you would be looking at 1966 and saying "Well Bobby Moore had a great year, but he is sooo slow, I can't pick him in my team of the year".

Next year it could be "Jim Brick had a phenomenal year for Spurs, he won everything. I think he is rubbish in the air though, so he can't be in my team of the year".

It just isn't like that.

I already addressed the point about Moore and his pace. How about you respond to what I said?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Would it not depend on the scenario?

A player making a successful last ditch tackle because he made a mistake with his positioning is different to a player using his ability to read play so he can get into a position where he can make a last ditch tackle after other players made a mistake, or the defence is outnumbered by attackers (and so on).

No of course it does but I said it was unlikely that a good reader of the game needs to make a last ditch tackle, I didn't say they wouldn't have too.

You obviously need both to be a really top player.

On the Smalling v Evans debate I personallly think Jones is better than them both.

I think he's too good for his own good. He performs well in whatever position and the management feel he can play anywhere. If he was just a one position player it would actually work to his advantage as he could study that position and learn his trade in that position.

• Advertisement

I think he's too good for his own good. He performs well in whatever position and the management feel he can play anywhere. If he was just a one position player it would actually work to his advantage as he could study that position and learn his trade in that position.

No he is not he is a poor full back and decent cover in cm. His best performances have come at cb but he has too much quality ahead of him. He is played out of position to give him games. Him playing rb instead of Rafael weakens the team he should be sent on loan to concentrate on playing as a cb.

No he is not he is a poor full back and decent cover in cm. His best performances have come at cb but he has too much quality ahead of him. He is played out of position to give him games. Him playing rb instead of Rafael weakens the team he should be sent on loan to concentrate on playing as a cb.

He's had a poor couple of games at RB. He's had a dip in form.

I doubt he is played out of position just to get games??? Why would any manager play a player just so he can collect his appearance fee? He gets game because he has the talent to do a job where he's asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looking at Liverpool there again winning handy how long does everyone reckon there gonna stay up there winning games and front two scoring freely ?

Does anyone see them as serious challenge this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lol at the idea of Arsenal's defenders being better than United's.

Lol at the stats from the last 12 months backing it up.

Again, I'm not saying that Vidic and Ferdinand across their careers haven't been better, just that right now, Mert & Kos are more solid.

I know I won't get much reality here though. No way do Evra and Rafael make that team. Is Rafael even first choice? Have you all stopped wanting Evra gone just because someone from another team dared to say he was past it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He's had a poor couple of games at RB. He's had a dip in form.

I doubt he is played out of position just to get games??? Why would any manager play a player just so he can collect his appearance fee? He gets game because he has the talent to do a job where he's asked.

I'd hazard a guess that the correlation between gametime and improvement of younger players is a major consideration. We have 3 players who id rate as better at rb at the club, twins and smalling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement