Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Which is why you should always buy from a position of strength. After all, if Bale gets injured they only have Isco and Di Maria, if Felliani gets injured we are back to Giggs. Hardly comparable.

How can this be a complaint? This time yesterday the situation was if Cleverly gets injured we're back to Giggs and Anderson. Now it's (in theory) if Fellaini gets injured we're back to Cleverly, Giggs and Anderson.

This is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

How can this be a complaint? This time yesterday the situation was if Cleverly gets injured we're back to Giggs and Anderson. Now it's (in theory) if Fellaini gets injured we're back to Cleverly, Giggs and Anderson.

This is a good thing.

The drop in quality from from Bale to Di Maria or Isco is pretty small.

The drop in quality form Fellaini to Anderson at the minute is pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is a good thing.

Its a better thing, but not yet a good thing. When we are two steps removed from Cleverley, that will be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The drop in quality from from Bale to Di Maria or Isco is pretty small.

The drop in quality form Fellaini to Anderson at the minute is pretty big.

Sure, but at least a drop in quality exists now. Yesterday there were only poor options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Graham Hunter: "Ozil's father & reps, held on, and held on for ManUtd to come in for him. They waited, it didn't happen"

Hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Sure, but at least a drop in quality exists now. Yesterday there were only poor options.

We have the same amount of poor options today as yesterday.1 more good option is not enough. We have no decent cover for Fellaini or Carrick. Those 2 are the only 2 names I'd be happy with on the team sheet v any top European side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This is a good thing.

Surely Anderson should be ahead of Cleverley . . . both leave a lot to be desired, but Anderson still shades it for me, and not just because he casts a bigger shadow than Cleverley! :pac:

A United with Carrick and Fellaini in CM, the options of Nani, Kagawa, Rooney, RVP, Wellbeck, Valencia, Hernandez, Young and Zaha, that's 9 players to fill 4 attacking positions, should be enough for any formation and tactics required.

De Gea
    Rafael---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    Carrick---Fellaini
    Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney

RVP

It's gonna be hard to fit the two CM's, Carrick and Fellaini, along with Rooney, who should always start, in the same team as Kagawa if he can't work out wide a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Who is the man to buy in the next transfer window?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Cleverly will come good. He has a footballing brain on him. He's the type of player the English have been waiting on.

The kind of boy who spent his days kicking ball against the kerb all afternoon and evening. He isn't brainless. He isn't as brainless as Milner or Gareth Barry. They are brainless. And brainless players are no good for a team like Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So I said I'd hold off on making any judgements until the transfer window closed. Not that I expect people to particularly care, but here's my thoughts now:

Thiago - went to his former coach, mentor and agent's brother at the current CL champions. We never had a chance of getting him. I don't know if the United management team wasted time on pursuing the transfer or just had a quick look.

Fabregas - The management team seems to have tried a harsh low ball effort on this one. Maybe the press aren't reporting what happened accurately, I don't know. If it's true that we came in with an initial £25m offer that would be strange.

Fellaini - A bit down the list of CMs I would have liked to see come in but I can understand Moyes going for him. £27.5m is a little high imo, but not outrageous in the current market. Conflicting reports about his buyout clause. If it's true that we have lost money by not activating it then that's a farce. If it's true that we have saved money by not activating it then that is good.

It was very late to be signing him anyway, and if that were to become a recurring theme over the next few windows then I would be annoyed.

Baines - Long pursuit of a player that I'm not convinced we need. Maybe Moyes really doesn't trust Evra, or maybe he feels that it is essential to have a fullback who is better at crossing. Either of those would explain why he went after this deal. I think it's always going to be difficult to sign two important players from one club, so it's not a surprise that this didn't come off.

Herrera - This attempted signing could easily have just been a bargaining tool to get Everton worried. If United really did just start pursuing this transfer yesterday it was way too late in the window to get the activation of a buyout clause negotiated with a Spanish club (and Athletic, one of the most difficult clubs to buy from at that). The imposters story seems to have been more of Balague's usual bullshít.

Khedira - Again, this looks more like a manoeuvre to force Everton's hand more than anything else. If Moyes really wanted him and they left it until the last day then that's daft. Although the Bale deal did hold everything up, so maybe it was just a cheeky bid on the off chance. I'm glad we didn't get him anyway.

Coentrao - Same issue as Baines really except it was left way too late.

Overall I'm happy to have money spent on the CM after all these years. I do like Fellaini but I worry that neither Fellaini+Carrick nor Fellaini+Cleverley is perfect in the middle. I do think he will do well for us and either of those two pairings would be good enough for the EPL, but probably a little short for the top end European competition. Edit: the team overall could still do well in Europe, but I think the CM could still be a weakness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

After a summer of disappointment in the transfer market is it time that Manutd appoitmented a Director of Football? Who would be good enough to come in and deal with the transfers and work along side Moyes and Woodward? It worked well at Arsenal and hasn't done to bad at Spurs. Maybe now is the time the club the board might decide it is time for a change?

Revista de la liga on SS2 now with Balague and Hunter.

What am I missing there? Arsenal?

I get where your coming from but a director of football no. The club should have people that can negotiate properly but as I said the other day a Director of football would also be in charge of other things that Moyes should be in charge of. Maybe Woodward needs to hire a vp to negotiate deals where money is spent by the club but that person should not take any control from Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Neeson wrote: »
    Cleverly will come good. He has a footballing brain on him. He's the type of player the English have been waiting on.

The kind of boy who spent his days kicking ball against the kerb all afternoon and evening. He isn't brainless. He isn't as brainless as Milner or Gareth Barry. They are brainless. And brainless players are no good for a team like Manchester United.

i dont see anything in cleverly i dont offers anything special on or off the ball and ive heard people say hes young but hes 24 i really cant see him getting any better

Neeson wrote: »

He was taught some lessons against Liverpool! :pac: Hopefully he will learn from it. I think himself and Carrick did well in the Chelsea game though, defensively at least. Against Liverpool Cleverley was terrible, as was Giggs. Milner is an excellent footballer I think and would have been better than both Giggs and Cleverley last Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Touching back on the Ozil transfer.

I was one of those that said we didn't need him and so shouldn't buy him, and I stand by that.

But, that opinion is shaped in the reality that United desperately need new central midfielders and so any purchases in other areas, no matter who, are an inefficient use of resources.

And on reflection this is really annoying me today. If Fergie hadn't neglected our midfield for six years, if United hadn't had a gaping hole that needed urgent work, if United had been able to look at the transfer window from a secure position of strength, then just perhaps United would have had the luxury of buying one of the few world class players available today, whether we needed him or not.

These are the indirect consequences of ****ing about, and not sorting things before they become a major problem. Take note David Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hmm

Oh just piss off (not you, Bombleswizzum).

So apparently Herrara was desperate to join us and we ballsed that up and now Ozil was waiting for us to make a move but nah, why do that when we can let him strengthen a rival instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

markc1184 wrote: »
    Dont know if its been mentioned but United have signed 17 year old Saidy Janko from FC Zurich for an undisclosed fee. Right sided player of Swiss, Italian and Gambian descent.

Edit:

fair play to who ever mentioned this, this morning. most people thought it was a hoax.

anybody know anything about him? appears to be second young right back of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wouldn't Ferguson be a great transfer ambassador or whatever you wanna call it. Surely having him meet players would be a fantastic way to convince them to join. He is already gonna be doing something in an ambassadorial role so why not put him to good use twice a year.

Actually I'm surprised United haven't got Beckham into the club in some role. He would be a great face for the club around the world. He loves United. And Ferguson always said United should mimic Bayern by getting former players into club roles when they retire.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Wouldn't Ferguson be a great transfer ambassador or whatever you wanna call it. Surely having him meet players would be a fantastic way to convince them to join. He is already gonna be doing something in an ambassadorial role so why not put him to good use twice a year.

I'm think Bobby Charlton has done that before, and yes he would be great at that role, meeting with players that need some convincing, assurances etc. I don't think it was an option with his hip op this summer or that United actually got in a position where they needed someone to go in and talk with clubs or players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hmm

Tells me that Moyes rates Kagawa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I wouldn't trust him in that role. He has vested interests in a legacy he might want to protect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bohsman wrote: »
    Tells me that Moyes rates Kagawa.

Let's hope so!

I wouldn't trust him in that role. He has vested interests in a legacy he might want to protect.

That needs more explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thats crap in fairness he has nothing to gain from United failing in anyway now. Nothing could taint his rep at this stage within the club.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I'm think Bobby Charlton has done that before, and yes he would be great at that role, meeting with players that need some convincing, assurances etc. I don't think it was an option with his hip op this summer or that United actually got in a position where they needed someone to go in and talk with clubs or players.

Yeah thats what I'm hoping. I hope his hip op kept him away and also his reluctance to be involved too early in Moyes Reign. But I would love to know something will be done differently in the future and if the club said Ferguson would be involved in important business like transfers I'd be delighted.

Think he's at home recovering from a hip-operation. Also, it's time to cut the apron strings; the man could not have done much more to leave the club in a good state. It's up to those at the club to put things right.

Unless the Glazers are looking to cash in soon, I don't think they will leave Woodward in place if they think he can't do his job correctly. I expect that they will be happy enough with Fellaini and I don't think that United actually wanted another CM; I believe it was mostly to help what were tough negotiations with Everton.

I think the Glazers will want a marquee signing, and if there is any hope of Ronnie coming back, I think they will be even more likely to fund it now, since they didn't go overboard this summer! :pac:

Think he's at home recovering from a hip-operation. Also, it's time to cut the apron strings; the man could not have done much more to leave the club in a good state. It's up to those at the club to put things right.

Unless the Glazers are looking to cash in soon, I don't think they will leave Woodward in place if they think he can't do his job correctly. I expect that they will be happy enough with Fellaini and I don't think that United actually wanted another CM; I believe it was mostly to help what were tough negotiations with Everton.

I think the Glazers will want a marquee signing, and if there is any hope of Ronnie coming back, I think they will be even more likely to fund it now, since they didn't go overboard this summer! :pac:

Its not time to cut any apron strings. Ferguson has moved upstairs. He was never walking off into the sunset. To cut the apron strings from a wealth of knowledge and experience is mental. He hasn't been around cause he is resting his hip and as I said he has said he doesn't want to be around much at the start of the Moyes era.

And if they want a Ronaldo return then surely Ferguson is the man to be involved as Ronaldo loves him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Fellaini.... Stupid stupid united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Fellaini.... Stupid stupid united.

Who? and What?

double GG wrote: »
    Who? and What?

Where? And when?

• Advertisement

Actually I've just realised something. United bid for Fabregas the day after Thiago leaves. Then they have a last minute bid for Khedeira rejected after Ozil is all but certain of going to Arsenal.
    It definitely smells a bit fishy with the timing of their bids. Its almost like they are so crap at transfers that they completely ruined their chances of getting these players OR they never really wanted the bids to be successful.

No wait.... I've answered my own question. Its the first one. They are just crap.

Actually I've just realised something. United bid for Fabregas the day after Thiago leaves. Then they have a last minute bid for Khedeira rejected after Ozil is all but certain of going to Arsenal.
    It definitely smells a bit fishy with the timing of their bids. Its almost like they are so crap at transfers that they completely ruined their chances of getting these players OR they never really wanted the bids to be successful.

No wait.... I've answered my own question. Its the first one. They are just crap.

To even think they would get Fabregas was when they became the laughing stock of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

To even think they would get Fabregas was when they became the laughing stock of Europe

183.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wow, a month of transfer fcuk ups and we're the laughing stock of europe??, cop the fcuk on will ya

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wow, a month of transfer fcuk ups and we're the laughing stock of europe??, cop the fcuk on will ya

Joke in fairness. He's dream was to move to Barcelona and Moyes thought he would move to United.

I'm not the one that needs cop on Morris.

Talking to non Boards.ie United fans and fans of other clubs today is interesting cause they think United have done well and don't really have an issue with what United have done in this window.

I do think the internet causes us to think we know a lot and makes us very negative if we let it.

Backwards the club is going with that transfer. Not a clue did we have in the market. Totally unprepared and ignorant display put on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

scudzilla wrote: »

We are the laughing stock of the world mate. There are cricket fans in Australia laughing at us.

Backwards the club is going with that transfer. Not a clue did we have in the market. Totally unprepared and ignorant display put on

Ok Yoda :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Here I go again im like a broken record,:pac:

But keeping Rooney, Nani and Evra was a huge huge huge plus.

I never had doubt about Nani like I was told and told ye few times he was staying, but Rooney I was worried for short while. I feared him leaving especially to Chelsea would be huge blow.

But in keeping players we did well. Very well.

Moyes and dare I say Woodward deserve credit for 1 thing.

Talking to non Boards.ie United fans and fans of other clubs today is interesting cause they think United have done well and don't really have an issue with what United have done in this window.

I do think the internet causes us to think we know a lot and makes us very negative if we let it.

jaysus i dunno, every fan ive met both at games and elsewhere think its been poor for weeks. all the ABU's have been laughing at us for weeks, sure even the media reaction will tell you the attitude of people or more to the point how it will be influenced. you honestly think if people who write for the BBC, telegraph and guardian are mocking the club, rival fans wont jump on it? ive already had other fans texting me about it, emailing me pics of woodie under the subject "identity of Bilbao imposter revealed" and all that sorta s*its. Liverpool fans are mocking Moyes and theres lots more so not really sure where you think they think we have done well!!

have those clowns MUST jumped on it yet i wonder?

I never had doubt about Nani like I was told and told ye few times he was staying, but Rooney I was worried for short while. I feared him leaving especially to Chelsea would be huge blow.

Nani??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I don't post often but always read this thread but I have read that about 25 times today from you The_Kew_Tour :pac:

I dont think we have went backwards at all.

In fact we have made progress by signing Fellaini.

We have sold nobody.

Many of our younger players know how to win a league and sure will improve overall.

Januzaj also looks like a prospect.

So no we have not fallen backwards.

The question should be have we progressed enough to maintain a serious challenge in both PL and CL? Thats the question.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I don't post often but always read this thread but I have read that about 25 times today from you The_Kew_Tour :pac:

-20:pac:...yes In know I did admit it...Honestly though was thrilled to keep Rooney.

sorry for harping on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The way things went on the buying side of things it wouldn't be a stretch to think they could have ****ed up player sales too.

somebody here posted about an email outage at the clubs legal department yesterday.

anybody know if thats proven to be bulls*it yet?

I dont think we have went backwards at all.

In fact we have made progress by signing Fellaini.

We have sold nobody.

Many of our younger players know how to win a league and sure will improve overall.

Januzaj also looks like a prospect.

So no we have not fallen backwards.

The question should be have we progressed enough to maintain a serious challenge in both PL and CL? Thats the question.

Ah stop now. We couldn't even beat Liverpool without Suarez. Fellaini is not going to win us the FA cup not to mind the champions league.
    We have definitely went backwards

Ah stop now. We couldn't even beat Liverpool without Suarez. Fellaini is not going to win us the FA cup not to mind the champions leagues.
    We have defiantly went backwards

how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

-20:pac:...yes In know I did admit it...Honestly though was thrilled to keep Rooney.

sorry for harping on and on.
    I got that you are happy ;) ... in anycase i'm with you brother, great news.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement