Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Robson99 wrote: »
    Just a pity both Morrison and Pogba didnt work out for Utd. The team would look whole lot better with them 2 and would save us a considerable amount in the transfer market

Fergie made the right call with Morrison at the time. He really was left with no alternatives. Morrison was never going to reach his potential when his mates were leading him down the wrong paths.

Fergie got it wrong with Pogba though. No other way to look at that one but it's done and dusted now and there's nothing we can really do about it.

If Morrison coming back meant he had outgrown his old pack of friends it would be brilliant but he's so still so young I doubt it.

Let's hope Januzaj can be tied down to a long term contract - if he slips through the clubs fingers it will be unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Eathrin wrote: »
    Pogba, Jan and Rav in the same midfield would have been very exciting for the future.

along with players like Henriquez, Powell, Zaha, Wilson and Will Keane.

Morrison hurts more than Pogba for me; if the kid had the right attitude (which he appears to have now) he'd still be at United and be a star for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quandary wrote: »
    Fergie made the right call with Morrison at the time. He really was left with no alternatives. Morrison was never going to reach his potential when his mates were leading him down the wrong paths.

would a one year loan not have been an option i wonder?

Herrara currently playing live on SS1 if anybody is interested.

EDIT - Herrara has been taken off at half time, second time in a few weeks he has been taken off fairly early in a game so his form is not great at the moment.

Fergie got it wrong with Pogba though. No other way to look at that one but it's done and dusted now and there's nothing we can really do about it.

I do think United were probably right to say no to a guaranteed games clause in Pogba's contract - but maybe if we had showed more faith in him earlier he would have been getting the games and not looking for them to be guaranteed via his contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Not hiding from the talent of the two lads mentioned above who are not at United anymore but I am excited by Powell and Lingard's futures at United.

Michael Keane as well (Hopefully Will continues to find form post injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Looking at him now, it would have been a better option. If he did come back would he have the self control to stay out of trouble? He's still only 20 and I can't imagine he has matured hugely yet. Still though, we all knew how much potential he had while in the reserves and it looks like he's starting to achieve.

I wonder would it be possible to get first option on him if West Ham did decide to sell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

morrison would never have worked out. too close to his scumbag mates to ever concentrate on being a proper professional. the club seemed to try everything and gave him a huge amount of leeway which shows how highly they rated him. just wasnt meant to be!

Pogba is a different story though! watching juve tonight on BT its hard to stomach that in the last few seasons we ve let pogba and tevez slip through our fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

n32 wrote: »
    morrison would never have worked out. too close to his scumbag mates to ever concentrate on being a proper professional. the club seemed to try everything and gave him a huge amount of leeway which shows how highly they rated him. just wasnt meant to be!

Pogba is a different story though! watching juve tonight on BT its hard to stomach that in the last few seasons we ve let pogba and tevez slip through our fingers

Not once have i been pissed off that we lost Tevez, poison he was

I don't think a loan move would have the same influence over his decision making as he knew 10 months later he would be back in Manchester.

A permanent move had a bigger impact on him and gave Big Sam a real reason to help him make a success of himself.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Not hiding from the talent of the two lads mentioned above who are not at United anymore but I am excited by Powell and Lingard's futures at United.

Michael Keane as well (Hopefully Will continues to find form post injury).

Just don't see the required potential in Lingard. If he was 18 I'd have a different opinion, but he is near enough 21 - if he was going to be as good as we'd need him to be he would be at a higher standard now, imo.

Intelligent enough footballer, and nice technique, but I don't think he will be a top class talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not once have i been pissed off that we lost Tevez, poison he was

not while he was playing with us. when he left h was toxic but in fairness he broke his balls in a united jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can't recall what happened with Tevez, I remember thinking at the time that he had good reasons to leave though.

Everything turned hostile from both sides after that though

Just don't see the required potential in Lingard. If he was 18 I'd have a different opinion, but he is near enough 21 - if he was going to be as good as we'd need him to be he would be at a higher standard now, imo.

Intelligent enough footballer, and nice technique, but I don't think he will be a top class talent.

I don't think he will be a Xavi. I think we may have had this conversation before and you could well be right.

For me I like the way he plays football, he does have the intelligence and technique as you say, physically he has come on a lot and I think he will be a very good third midfield player or at playing in a wide position drifting inside.

I think the delay in making a step up was down to his physique rather than ability which is less of an issue these days. Playing games at a senior level will improve his game all round and I would be surprised if he doesn't have a future at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Eathrin wrote: »
    Pogba, Jan and Rav in the same midfield would have been very exciting for the future.

With Giggs :pac:

I can't recall what happened with Tevez, I remember thinking at the time that he had good reasons to leave though.

Everything turned hostile from both sides after that though

United didn't want to pay the money his owners wanted.

He probably would have stayed at United but I think it was moving to City and things he said about United, that sign is what turned people against him rather than just leaving.

He probably would have stayed at United but I think it was moving to City and things he said about United, that sign is what turned people against him rather than just leaving.

He slagged off city when he left too saying they will never be as big as us.....I agree lol

Oh yeah, buying Berba as well and he started getting less game time. That and United not wanting to pay the fee was good enough reason to move really

The sign thing was scummy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I was very annoyed when Tevez was allowed to go. He was a smashing player for us. But the way he carried on at City (the sign, refusing to play etc) really turned me off him.

Herrara currently playing live on SS1 if anybody is interested.

EDIT - Herrara has been taken off at half time, second time in a few weeks he has been taken off fairly early in a game so his form is not great at the moment.

Planned on getting home to watch this but got delayed and only saw 10 minutes of the second half, how did he do in the first half?

• Advertisement

Sounds like Herrera's head isnt all there, must have wanted the move bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Planned on getting home to watch this but got delayed and only saw 10 minutes of the second half, how did he do in the first half?

A part of me is screaming thank god his transfer didn't happen as it just seemed like the ultimate panic buy. Wonder will moyes continue his chase for fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I havent seen Herrera at all but if he has gone from a regular player to a guy who is subbed at half time then he is either struggling with an injury or he isn't putting in the effort on purpose. Seems a bit coincidental he has lost form after the United mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I blame Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do ye think we only got fellani as herrara fell through or we were willing to buy both?

seems a mixed opinion on this but some people think the reason fellani was so late was due to herrara falling throught. i always assumed we were after both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I blame Moyes.

I blame the boogie

• Advertisement

do ye think we only got fellani as herrara fell through or we were willing to buy both?

seems a mixed opinion on this but some people think the reason fellani was so late was due to herrara falling throught. i always assumed we were after both.

After both I reckon.

I'd say Herrera was a fall back incase the Fellaini deal didn't happen. It all got very panic'y towards the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tbh I haven't been at all impressed with Fellaini, so far he's looked ordinary to say the least. Early days yet though.

At the moment "ordinary" is high praise for a United player. Only Rooney has really been on top form.

Excuse me, and Adnan Januzaj.

If he was that good he wouldn't still be at Bilbao in fairness, I'd say other teams are laughing at the prospect of United paying €37 million or whatever it is for him to be the saviour in our midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

The way our midfield is, most players would be an upgrade. Fellaini has not impressed me so far and I don't think he will ever be good enough for United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If he was that good he wouldn't still be at Bilbao in fairness, I'd say other teams are laughing at the prospect of United paying €37 million or whatever it is for him to be the saviour in our midfield.

If we were willing to pay that, I believe we would have already.

Everything I read and saw was United didn't value him anywhere near that though.

Tbh I haven't been at all impressed with Fellaini, so far he's looked ordinary to say the least. Early days yet though.

Early days indeed, once he settles in I'm sure he'll offer us what we've lacked in midfield regarding some steel. I nearly forget he's only a year older than Cleverly.

I've posted less here partly because I'm in a different time zone and very few are online when I'm able to post but also because of some of the constant tedious negative posting going on. There was always one thing I wanted to be given to SAF's successor and it's the same thing SAF was given when he first started; time. If we had this forum back then during the start of his tenure the very same people would be calling for SAF's head. Where would we be now if those people had gotten their way? Is been cringeworthy reading these past few months.

If we were willing to pay that, I believe we would have already.

Everything I read and saw was United didn't value him anywhere near that though.

Because that worked out so well with Fellaini...

:pac: / *cry*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

If he was that good he wouldn't still be at Bilbao in fairness

That logic is a bit silly tbh. Javi Martinez was the same age as Herrera is now when he left them, does that mean he's not that good since it took him that long to move away?

He's always been limited. Poor passer and very poor mobility.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Early days indeed, once he settles in I'm sure he'll offer us what we've lacked in midfield regarding some steel. I nearly forget he's only a year older than Cleverly.

I've posted less here partly because I'm in a different time zone and very few are online when I'm able to post but also because of some of the constant tedious negative posting going on. There was always one thing I wanted to be given to SAF's successor and it's the same thing SAF was given when he first started; time. If we had this forum back then during the start of his tenure the very same people would be calling for SAF's head. Where would we be now if those people had gotten their way? Is been cringeworthy reading these past few months.

This has been refuted many times, how is Fergie starting off with a bad United team who rarely won a trophy the same as Moyes taking over the Champions and supposed one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world. It's not, so people need to stop using that excuse.

I'm all for giving Moyes time but if we're outside the top 4 and still playing the same standard of "football" come next May he should be replaced, if we're showing signs of improving then he has as much time as he needs but he hasn't so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I remember somebody posting a video of one of all of Fellaini's touches in an early-season game for Everton, shortly before we signed him. In that game he was relaxed, sat deep, and basically controlled much of Everton's play. He also tackled, won headers, and showed good mobility. The talents he displayed there have not left him since he joined us, he just has not had time to settle in and get used to his new surroundings and team-mates. His displays have been a little erratic and nervy, which is understandable considering the reasons arleady meantioned, as well as the pressure the whole club has come under in the past few weeks.

Look at how much Aaron Ramsey has improved in his recent displays compared to how he was immediately after his return from the leg break.

Fellaini will come good, as will this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fellaini has been at the club a month.

Give the man a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

His mobility more than anything is what worried me about signin him because we already have a midfielder in Carrick who is quite slow but has other good attributes which make up for this.

Fellaini wasn't the type of midfielder we needed but now that he's here i'm sure he can do a job for us and half a loaf was better than no bread i suppose!

That logic is a bit silly tbh. Javi Martinez was the same age as Herrera is now when he left them, does that mean he's not that good since it took him that long to move away?

Martinez was a known quantity, people knew how good he was and look who bought him. 85% of United supporters had never heard of Herrera before and I'm sure supporters of other English clubs are still scratching their heads, Mikey was the only one to post his name in a United thread in years afaik. I watched him a few times back when Arsenal were interested in 2010 I think but he was nothing to phone home about.

I agree it's not a good way to measure a player but there is some truth in there.

• Advertisement

This has been refuted many times, how is Fergie starting off with a bad United team who rarely won a trophy the same as Moyes taking over the Champions and supposed one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world. It's not, so people need to stop using that excuse.

I'm all for giving Moyes time but if we're outside the top 4 and still playing the same standard of "football" come next May he should be replaced, if we're showing signs of improving then he has as much time as he needs but he hasn't so far

Listen, I'll stop you there because I think you missed my point. I'm not saying it's the same but drawing the comparison shows how impatient/spoiled some people on here are and if they'd been around back then there isn't a doubt in my mind that they'd been calling for SAF's head just as they are for Moyes. Moyes start hasn't been ideal, sure, but we're seven league games into his tenure. They need to get a grip no?

Give the man a break

Fellaini out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,259 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Let's hope Januzaj can be tied down to a long term contract - if he slips through the clubs fingers it will be unforgivable.

Roy is trying to get him for England so that should help to keep him at United.
    If he fecks off abroad they might just forget about him for the national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Give the man a break

Can't speak for anyone else but I'm certainly not just judging him on his time at Utd so far. He's definitely capable of playing better than he has so far but he's still quite a limited player.
    Martinez was a known quantity, people knew how good he was and look who bought him. 85% of United supporters had never heard of Herrera before

Anyone that's watched a bit of La Liga will have been familiar with him, the ignorance of football fans isn't really a good barometer of a players ability. Run a search of Kagawa on here and I'll bet you only get a handful of results before Utd were linked with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GSPfan wrote: »
    At the moment "ordinary" is high praise for a United player. Only Rooney has really been on top form.

Excuse me, and Adnan Januzaj.

And De Gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,259 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Trilla wrote: »
    And De Gea

exactly, awesome save yesterday.
    Even Schmeicheal was impressed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Give the man a break

Should have been tied up in the summer giving him a chance to bond with the team.

He arrived as everyone was leaving for the international break. Not an ideal start at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

England have 3 potential gems in Barkley, Morrison and Wilshire. He is the least known now but that will soon change. Watched most West Ham games his season and he is just very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Nuts102 wrote: »
    England have 3 potential gems in Barkley, Morrison and Wilshire. He is the least known now but that will soon change. Watched most West Ham games his season and he is just very special.

And Januzaj :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This is an odd post you know.

For various reasons that if I have to, will outline. It is close to kick off time in the yankee rugby though and hope its self explanatory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement