Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Nuts102 wrote: »
    England have 3 potential gems in Barkley, Morrison and Wilshire. He is the least known now but that will soon change. Watched most West Ham games his season and he is just very special.

Imagine Zaha lived up to his potential aswell jaysus some midfield and possible Adnan! Mother of Zeus thats good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Oxlade Chamberlain is quite some player too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Fellaini is nowhere near Utd standard. I warned against his signing long ago despite the clamour for it in here. His signing is indicative of the overall drop in standard of the type of current Manchester Utd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fellaini is nowhere near Utd standard. I warned against his signing long ago despite the clamour for it in here. His signing is indicative of the overall drop in standard of the type of current Manchester Utd player.

What exactly is United standard in midfield?

Cleverley? Anderson? Jones?

You could make an argument that none of our midfielders, including Carrick, are actually "United standard" such an irritating phrase.

He improved the squad, more to the point he improves the first 11. Give the guy a break ffs, he had no pre season with his new team mates. He will take a bit of time to settle in.

Ridiculous culture these days expecting everything to click instantly

As to the last sentence, that just makes no sense. The last few signings have included RVP who I am pretty sure is a decent player, and Kagawa who, while not getting the most out of him (right now at least) is still a pretty decent player who is appreciated in the wider football world. Smalling is going to be a top player, he is already very good, Rafael, De Gea, Rooney?

If you want to point fingers about an overall drop in quality, which tbh there isn't. United have always been a team of good players with a couple of stand out performers. Going back almost 30 years now at least. The squad is at the best its been in my life time anyway, the first XI still needs work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If he was that good he wouldn't still be at Bilbao in fairness, I'd say other teams are laughing at the prospect of United paying €37 million or whatever it is for him to be the saviour in our midfield.

You can't really believe that first line?

Should a spanish football fan just assume Dembele (for example) is ordinary since he is `only' with Spurs?

Not sure about the second line either when United never wanted to pay that kind of money for him in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Johan-cruyff+barcelona.jpgAdnan-Januzaj.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks they look bit similar? Btw I'm not comparing their ability or anything just they look bit similar and also their hair style.

Wayne Rooney: Manchester United players have let David Moyes down
    Wayne Rooney has backed David Moyes in public for the first time and blamed the players for letting the new Manchester United manager down.

"Obviously the manager is under a bit of pressure but we know as a team it's us who have let him down. We have to pull together for the manager and show the sort of fight we have done here and we'll be fine," said Rooney.

"This will be a transition season, because it's a new manager with different styles and we have to adapt to them. More importantly we need to do better for him than we have been."

Speaking after Manchester United's 2-1 victory over Sunderland, Rooney said: "I think that's what we needed, to get the three points and to show a bit of character as a team.

"A win like this can turn things around. I think us as players know we haven't been good enough. A new manager has come in and we haven't been good enough for him."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/07/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-david-moyes

Good to see players are taking the blame and backing the manager. First it was Giggs, then Carrick, now Rooney. They all know that players haven't played to the standard expected from them and good to see them saying that rather than looking for excuses elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney: Manchester United players have let David Moyes down

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/07/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-david-moyes

Good to see players are taking the blame and backing the manager. First it was Giggs, then Carrick, now Rooney. They all know that players haven't played to the standard expected from them and good to see them saying that rather than looking for excuses elsewhere.

Will you just retire?? It's getting embarrassing now :P

Will you just retire?? It's getting embarrassing now :P

I can't help when management team keeps offering me 1 year contract. :pac:

Btw, even Rooney think it was a brave decision to start Januzaj considering the pressure Moyes was under.

Rooney admits that throwing the 18-year-old into a struggling team could have been considered a risk but he was pleased that the decision paid dividends.
    Rooney wrote:
    "There was big pressure on us, but the manager has trusted him and he has repaid that," he added.

"He's very confident, that's great to see. A lot of the young players who come through are a little bit timid and shy, but he looks comfortable and he's confident in his own ability, which you need to be.

"It was a brave move to play him in the circumstances and we're delighted it's paid off."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

BBC SportVerified account ‏@BBCSport #MUFC will offer 18yo Belgian forward Adnan Januzaj a 4-yr, £50k/wk deal to stay, and who wants to buy #QPR? gossip: http://bbc.in/wVT9IF .

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/386992101818253313

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Januzaj was brilliant, something very special about him, United better start negotiating his agents for a long term contract or he will go elsewhere, I dont blame him. He is young lad, sometimes the talents disappeared quickly when he becomes famous or well known. Moyes can handle that like what he did with young Rooney. Hopefully, Januzaj will go on to become the Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Would be great if we insisted on a buy back clause when we sold Ravel Morrison to West Ham .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I loved his lack of celebration for the first goal. Only thought was getting the ball and going on to win the game, shows the right attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    At the moment "ordinary" is high praise for a United player. Only Rooney has really been on top form.

Excuse me, and Adnan Januzaj.

Cant see how anybody can say Rooney is on top form. He has done nothing from general play in the league. His goals have come from free kicks of which one was very fortunate. He has created nothing again West Brom and Sunderland

Spud83 wrote: »
    I loved his lack of celebration for the first goal. Only thought was getting the ball and going on to win the game, shows the right attitude.

This stuck out for me too, was happy to see it. Knew the job was only half done.

Januzaj's equaliser was our first goal from open play in the league in nearly 8 and a half hours.For a team that has a tradition of attacking play,that's shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sacramento wrote: »
    there isn't a doubt in my mind that they'd been calling for SAF's head just as they are for Moyes.

This simply isn't true.

Not withstanding the fact that it is only a tiny minority that are calling for Moyes head in the first place, there is one major difference between Fergies first few years and now.

When Fergie was going through his difficult phase there were still definite signs of change taking place. Results may not have been good, but you could see there was an underlying plan as established players like McGrath/Whiteside were being shipped out and others brought in.

I have said it repeatedly, but Moyes will get support as long as there are signs that he is shaping the club his way. If he drops all the older players and sticks with Smalling, Jones, Januzaj all season to finish 4th/5th then he will get support, he would clearly be doing do with the longer term in mind. His problem thus far was that he hadn't changed anything, it was still Valencia, Giggs, Cleverly playing their usual rubbish.

Its a different situation to Fergie's early days. The question has been asked more than once, what is Moyes doing? What is he giving us that we can take positives from? And to this point there hasn't been anything positive.

By the way, I most certainly don't think he should be sacked. I just think he should get his ****ing act together.

kryogen wrote: »
    This stuck out for me too, was happy to see it. Knew the job was only half done.
    Spud83 wrote: »

Like Rafael when he scored left footed volley against Arsenal in 2008-09 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Like Rafael when he scored left footed volley against Arsenal in 2008-09 season.

Well that was a different in that it was injury time and we were 2-0 down, he would have looked like a plank if he celebrated much. Januzaj equalised with 35 mins left, he was more within his rights!

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Would be great if we insisted on a buy back clause when we sold Ravel Morrison to West Ham .

He's a United fan and probably knows it was best to leave, Ive a feeling we will see him at the club again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

50 grand and we couldn't give Pogba, what was it at the time 20k? :mad: i guess he didn't score 2 goals in one game out of the all chances he got :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

50 grand and we couldn't give Pogba, what was it at the time 20k? :mad: i guess he didn't score 2 goals in one game out of the all chances he got :(

Pogba's gone, forget about it. Also, by the sound of it his agent was being a dick at the time.

Blatter wrote: »
    Well that was a different in that it was injury time and we were 2-0 down, he would have looked like a plank if he celebrated much. Januzaj equalised with 35 mins left, he was more within his rights!

Yeah it was bit different but you can see the reactions. Not even a smile or anything, scored and just ran back to the position. Rafael's was during injury time but the reactions was somewhat similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

KH25 wrote: »
    Pogba's gone, forget about it. Also, by the sound of it his agent was being a dick at the time.

Impossible to forget about it.

Anyway if we get Januzaj tied down it will be a big coup given what went on with that other fella and also the fact that he is a huge prospect for now and the future.

I suggest if the negotiotions are stalling we should sell Young give Jan all the transfer money we recieve and put him on what wages Young is on...he is that good:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

On reflection on the weekend, another weak performance by Vidic. He seems to be getting torrid times from distinctly average attackers, who simply have a bit of pace.

Jones was ropey at CB, because he has spent such little time there. I feel his best position will be CB, and we need to start showing the faith with Jones and Smalling being played at CB, not auxilary Right backs, it will stunt their developement.
    Evans when fit would be my first choice CB.

I think Vidic and Ferdinand, while great servants to the club, need to start being transitioned outbound into more partial roles.

I think that was going to be one of the tough tasks of this season for Moyes, how to handle with certain ageing elements of the squad, that had the potential to perform poorly. I think he has handled the Giggs transition well personally. A manager coming there could easily keep playing him sighting "experience" but infact I think he has used him wisely thus far.
    Ferdinand and Vidic, while I don't want to be over the top, have been poor so far this season. And considering we seem to insit with 2 in CM, our defence is going to be attacked and put under pressure.

I think Moyes needs to take a long hard look and if so make some brave decisions regarding our back four. Evra was at fault aswell for that goal on Saturday.

A shaky defence leads to shaky performances. And I think it's something that needs addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Lucas Hood wrote: »

We didn't but apparently he insisted on a £19 million buy out clause when he signed for West Ham.

• Advertisement

Elro wrote: »
    We didn't but apparently he insisted on a £19 million buy out clause when he signed for West Ham.

No rush so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

GreeBo wrote: »
    Roy is trying to get him for England so that should help to keep him at United.
    If he fecks off abroad they might just forget about him for the national side.

Pretty positive I read he wouldn't be eligible for England until 2018.

He'd surely prefer to play for Belgium anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have some of the older players lost their fire not Fergie is gone. I know we can blame Moyes for certain things but some of our better players have been poor. Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Valencia and RVP have been poor so far compared to last season. 3 of the back four from a team that was brilliant the second half of last season have been making some silly mistakes so far this season.

It's early days yet and not saying drop anyone but our best performers from last season have started the season poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Have some of the older players lost their fire not Fergie is gone. I know we can blame Moyes for certain things but some of our better players have been poor. Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Valencia and RVP have been poor so far compared to last season.

Rio and Vidic were pretty solid in the first 3 games - swansea, chelsea and liverpool we only conceeded 2 goals, in 3 tough games.

however, i believe playing them in so many games, so close together after this, was a mistake and its cost us now. They will come good, as will Carrick and Evra...those 4 players never let us down and i think Carrick was good at the weekend.

RVP has suffered due to our poor quality of football and yet, still has 6 goals this season and has had two injuries and only 6 starts.

I have a feeling Utd will lose Januzaj. He looks like a confident lad and I haven't seen any real enthusiasm (ala Hernadez) to wear the shirt. Utd aren't the pull they once were.

I have a feeling Utd will lose Januzaj. He looks like a confident lad and I haven't seen any real enthusiasm (ala Hernadez) to wear the shirt. Utd aren't the pull they once were.

Bit sensationalist no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You haven't seen enthusiasm. He has started once and made two sub appearances. He sprinted for the ball after scoring instead of celebrating his first senior goal which showed real passion. I actually cannot understand how your coming to that conclusion.

You haven't seen enthusiasm. He has started once and made two sub appearances. He sprinted for the ball after scoring instead of celebrating his first senior goal which showed real passion. I actually cannot understand how your coming to that conclusion.

I admit it's not based on much evidence. It's just a horrible feeling I have of him been lured to mainland Europe. If he continues as he is, he'll have the pick of many clubs. The fact he hasn't signed yet is telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Eathrin wrote: »
    Bit sensationalist no?

Then Rooney will retire to go live in the mountains, Moyes will replace him with an aging Milan Baros and reward Giggs' non-existant form with a 4 year contract while we sell Raf and Jones to West Bromwich albion in a straight swap for Shane Long. DDG will then surely want to return to his motherland and start playing in the UAE. We're Doomed... DOOOMMEDDD!!!

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Then Rooney will retire to go live in the mountains, Moyes will replace him with an aging Milan Baros and reward Giggs' non-existant form with a 4 year contract while we sell Raf and Jones to West Bromwich albion in a straight swap for Shane Long. DDG will then surely want to return to his motherland and start playing in the UAE. We're Doomed... DOOOMMEDDD!!!

That wasn't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

That wasn't funny.

Neither was your one :pac:

• Advertisement

Pretty positive I read he wouldn't be eligible for England until 2018.

He'd surely prefer to play for Belgium anyway.

He has refused every attempt to get him to play for Belgian teams all along, why would he change now

I would imagine his preference would be in this order

A. Kosovo
    B. Albania

With Albania being the more likely for obvious reasons. I would think Belgium might come before England, but he has made no signal that he has any interest in playing for Belgium. The opposite is true in fact. Turning them down over and over again would suggest that he doesn't want to play for them.

As an aside
    Please don't do what so many other teams fans do and build up their promising players so much they can do nothing but disappoint. He is a fine player, he is still weak defensively/tactically and will need time and experience before he fully blossoms.

Outlandish statements like some I have read about him don't do him or anybody else any favours. He has big potential, he could become a star. He could also stall

He has a long way to go and we all hope he gets there, but don't kid yourself into thinking he is a second coming of Cryuff/Ronaldo/Rivaldo etc etc etc

He is a good young player, he has plenty of promise and he has made unbelievably big strides the last two years, when defenders start to learn how to play him it will get tougher for him and in games where we need people to work for the team and have responsibility beyond attacking he is still not ready to be relied upon imho but with the proper time, education and coaching he will hopefully go far

United could lose an 18 year old kid who has done very little (nothing in fairness) because they are not much of a draw these days

Yet Arsenal, who have almost a decade of barren trophy cabinets behind them are still enough of a pull to get probably the best attacking central midfielder in the world?

Yeah right, keep dreaming

I admit it's not based on much evidence. It's just a horrible feeling I have of him been lured to mainland Europe. If he continues as he is, he'll have the pick of many clubs. The fact he hasn't signed yet is telling.

It is telling of nothing.

He was in the reserves, no senior experience, contract talks would have been influenced by Fergie/gill

Change of manager/CEO, contract talks obviously put on hold till things settle down.

New manager needs to see him before deciding his input on where he sees him in the squad, contract he would be happy to offer, new CEO also has to have his say.

Contract talks start again, player gets game time, his performances will have put a few extra £££ on his wage demands from his agent you can be sure, United try to drive hard bargain, as they always do.

Just relax ffs.

Don't read into everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    It is telling of nothing.

He was in the reserves, no senior experience, contract talks would have been influenced by Fergie/gill

Change of manager/CEO, contract talks obviously put on hold till things settle down.

New manager needs to see him before deciding his input on where he sees him in the squad, contract he would be happy to offer, new CEO also has to have his say.

Contract talks start again, player gets game time, his performances will have put a few extra £££ on his wage demands from his agent you can be sure, United try to drive hard bargain, as they always do.

Just relax ffs.

Don't read into everything.

Agree with what you say.

Still though, the longer it drags the more horrible it gets that it could be another Morrison/Pogba - and just not happen at United for him.

Would love to hear him signed up over the international break - feck it, give him the number 7 jersey!

Agree with what you say.

Still though, the longer it drags the more horrible it gets that it could be another Morrison/Pogba - and just not happen at United for him.

Would love to hear him signed up over the international break - feck it, give him the number 7 jersey!

Of course, contract negotiations can be tricky, but the club has its way of doing things and this is nothing new. Frustrating? At time hell yeah! Not surprising though or particularly worrying right now.

Carrick is out of contract the end of the season, no news on a new deal for him, you would think people would be more worried about that one right now ;)

Having said that, it would be nice if Carrick (who I believe will sign a new deal and probably retire at the club) did decide he wanted to go and the club were forced into going out there, balls out and signing a couple of truly top class central midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fellaini needs wrist surgery. Possibly out till Christmas according to radio news.

Discodog wrote: »
    Fellaini needs wrist surgery. Possibly out till Christmas according to radio news.

Some load of ****

Discodog wrote: »

Sky reporting 3 weeks :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sky reporting 3 weeks :confused:

'Several weeks' is what I saw this morning - there was talk over the weekend that it would be 3 months. Reckon radio has it wrong based on weekend rumours.

Not the worst really - 2 weeks taken up by international football. May only miss Southampton and Real S.

Though surely he could play with a cast....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given how physical a player Fel is, he's going to need to be more careful with such an injury as compared, say, to Evra who is also taped up, but not as "rough" when it comes to playing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement