Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

how?

Again then.

Ah stop now. We couldn't even beat Liverpool without Suarez. Fellaini is not going to win us the FA cup not to mind the champions league.
    We have definitely went backwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Again then.

Ah stop now. We couldn't even beat Liverpool without Suarez. Fellaini is not going to win us the FA cup not to mind the champions league.

That literally makes no sense. You can't go backwards by making a signing who is good enough to start for your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Weren't people cribbing about Nani many a year ago? Have all those people disappeared or changed their mind on the chap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Again then.

Tell us whats your definition of the word backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Here I go again im like a broken record,:pac:

But keeping Rooney, Nani and Evra was a huge huge huge plus.

I never had doubt about Nani like I was told and told ye few times he was staying, but Rooney I was worried for short while. I feared him leaving especially to Chelsea would be huge blow.

But in keeping players we did well. Very well.

Moyes and dare I say Woodward deserve credit for 1 thing.

is that not a huge concern though kew?? utd are premiership champions and year previous just lost it on goal difference. Surely we should not be worrying about trying to keep our players???

For me I think it was having unrealistic targets. Realistically targeting players from teams like real and barca is madness unless you know for sure that player wants out or the club want rid. Example of ozil v fabregas is perfect really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Again then.

1 answer will do.

How have we went backwards?

Maybe not progressed I would give you that I be in same bracket there.

It makes no sense to say we have went backwards when we soold nobody and bought a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Here I go again im like a broken record,:pac:

But keeping Rooney, Nani and Evra was a huge huge huge plus.

I never had doubt about Nani like I was told and told ye few times he was staying, but Rooney I was worried for short while. I feared him leaving especially to Chelsea would be huge blow.

But in keeping players we did well. Very well.

Moyes and dare I say Woodward deserve credit for 1 thing.

You have said it before, but frankly its really damning the club with faint praise.

Two of those players have never shown any inclination that they wanted to leave, certainly not Evra, and Nani was just out of favour with Fergie, with him gone he was always likely to stay.

Rooney? The only reason he is still there is because no foreign club wanted him, and not even Woodward was dumb enough to let Chelsea have him. We aren't talking great managerial performance here, not at all.

Sorry but no, you holding this up as something worth celebrating just highlights how little of actual worth we achieved this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

somebody here posted about an email outage at the clubs legal department yesterday.

anybody know if thats proven to be bulls*it yet?

Complete BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

We haven't gone backwards. We have kept the same squad that won us the league at a canter last year.

Nani and Young were injured for much of last season so if we can get them fit and playing its a plus on last season. If we get Rooney in the right frame of mind he will score and create lots of goals. We have brought in Zaha who looks promising.

We still haven't realized Kagawa's full potential

Plus we signed a central midfield player who is better than Anderson and Cleverly

Oh yeah we have Robin Van Persie also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

somebody here posted about an email outage at the clubs legal department yesterday.

anybody know if thats proven to be bulls*it yet?

Even if it is true do you honestly think an email outage is going to make much difference to anything :confused: You can set up encrypted email accounts in seconds that could have been used in an emergency or fax what ever is needed. It's going to make no difference what so ever.

People looking for any excuse possible to complain.

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    is that not a huge concern though kew?? utd are premiership champions and year previous just lost it on goal difference. Surely we should not be worrying about trying to keep our players???

For me I think it was having unrealistic targets. Realistically targeting players from teams like real and barca is madness unless you know for sure that player wants out or the club want rid. Example of ozil v fabregas is perfect really

I see what you mean.

Rooney was wanting out. Big time by the looks of it. Whatever happened in background Moyes did a super job in keeping him t the club.

Unrealistic targets? ya again I think we were trying to get the very best. Were they unrealistic? I think now that we got none yes it looks that way, but honestly I think it was good to see Moyes wanting the best.

How we went about it was comical though, but thats another matter.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    That literally makes no sense. You can't go backwards by making a signing who is good enough to start for your team.

Look at the teams around us challenging for the title, they all invested big. Last years team was poor and were gifted the league, European form showed them for what they really were.

Where are you going to wedge fellaini in when Rooney is fit? Rooney on the wing again where he is unhappy?

We needed a creative midfielder (Scholes like). Cleverly is not good enough. Fellaini is not the answer by a long shot

You have said it before, but frankly its really damning the club with faint praise.

Two of those players have never shown any inclination that they wanted to leave, certainly not Evra, and Nani was just out of favour with Fergie, with him gone he was always likely to stay.

Rooney? The only reason he is still there is because no foreign club wanted him, and not even Woodward was dumb enough to let Chelsea have him. We aren't talking great managerial performance here, not at all.

Sorry but no, you holding this up as something worth celebrating just highlights how little of actual worth we achieved this summer.

I never said its worth celebrating, but its huge bonus to keep Rooney especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Timmyctc wrote: »

out team has not gone backwards as such in terms of squad and bringing in Fellani is improving our first 11.

however key players like Vidic, Rio, Evra and Carrick are all a year older. Young and Valencia are probably in the worst form of their careers and Rooney also is going through a bad patch for the last year or so in terms of how he is playing compared to his ability.

add in the fact that Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Chelsea have all had much better windows than us, and alot of clubs have strengthened well and its not so much as us being worse, but others are better. we won alot of games by 1 goal last season, alot of them involved goals from RVP. an injury to him and it makes our season a real troublesome one.

add in the fact that Fergie is gone and you can surely see why people have doubts. the poster is probably going too far with we have gone backwards in terms of squad, but in terms of domination i think its fair to say we will.

at the moment, i think we will be 6-8 points off top when the Christmas period comes about. if we sign a creative player in January, it may improve us and with us having a seemingly "easy" run in, we can then challenge.

just my 2 cents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Neeson wrote: »
    Weren't people cribbing about Nani many a year ago? Have all those people disappeared or changed their mind on the chap?

Nope.

But for me, I've stated my case with him and don't fancy getting into another huge argument about him :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

out team has not gone backwards as such in terms of squad and bringing in Fellani is improving our first 11.

however key players like Vidic, Rio, Evra and Carrick are all a year older. Young and Valencia are probably in the worst form of their careers and Rooney also is going through a bad patch for the last year or so in terms of how he is playing compared to his ability.

add in the fact that Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Chelsea have all had much better windows than us, and alot of clubs have strengthened well and its not so much as us being worse, but others are better. we won alot of games by 1 goal last season, alot of them involved goals from RVP. an injury to him and it makes our season a real troublesome one.

add in the fact that Fergie is gone and you can surely see why people have doubts. the poster is probably going too far with we have gone backwards in terms of squad, but in terms of domination i think its fair to say we will.

at the moment, i think we will be 6-8 points off top when the Christmas period comes about. if we sign a creative player in January, it may improve us and with us having a seemingly "easy" run in, we can then challenge.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah I'd probably go along with that also. If we are still in the hunt around Xmas I'll be happy. January transfer market couldn't get any worse than the Summer fiasco.

I never said its worth celebrating, but its huge bonus to keep Rooney especially.

They kept him against his will because they hadn't the foresight to get who they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

GSPfan wrote: »
    Talking to non Boards.ie United fans and fans of other clubs today is interesting cause they think United have done well and don't really have an issue with what United have done in this window.

I do think the internet causes us to think we know a lot and makes us very negative if we let it.

The internet gives a voice to some of the biggest mouth-breathers known to humanity. Balanced reaction as a concept doesn't marry well with internet forums.

Looking forward to our next games now. Hopefully Raf will be fit and we won't have Jones on the right. Rooney being ready to play, Fellaini to slot into midfield beside Carrick and Kagawa and Nani being match fit will be big bonuses.

I like the look of this:

DDG

Raf
    Ferdinand----Vidic
    Evra

Carrick---Fellaini

Nani
    Rooney
    Kagawa

RVP

That's an excellent first XI imo.

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    January transfer market couldn't get any worse than the Summer fiasco.

well in terms of final output it can - we may not sign anybody.

weve tried to sign Thiago, Fabregas, Hazard, Lucas, Herrara in the last 14 months, all creative enough players and failed with all of them due. it shows the club is aware of a gap, but has not as yet done anything about it.

i can see us going back for Baines in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

People keep saying we have the squad that walked the league last year. It's a non argument It's not the same Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Tottenham squads we will be facing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

i can see us going back for Baines in January.

Gods above that is one transfer link I wish would just go away. We don't need him now, we won't need him then.

mike65 wrote: »

so somebody is lying -

United saying the men were imposters.
    Spanish league saying they were there on Uniteds behalf.

something isnt right.

I agree before anyone says it,

but the amount of people who have come out and said we dont need Baines is huge compared to last season and January.

I remember being in a minority back then in regards to not wanting Baines or to put it another way he was not essential.

Its funny just seeing so many so many come out now when things are really desperate in other crucial areas.

so somebody is lying -

United saying the men were imposters.
    Spanish league saying they were there on Uniteds behalf.

something isnt right.

United havent said **** the only person ive heard run with the imposter story is Ballbag

• Advertisement

just my 2 cents.

I'm not convinced that other clubs have strengthened as much as you think.

City have strengthened the squad but it remains to be seen how many of those players will strengthen their first XI. Silva doesn't look his usual self, neither does Toure despite scoring a couple of free kicks and they look scarily vulnerable without Kompany. Hart is having a big dip in form.

Arsenal have been almost criminally neglectful of their problem areas. Ozil is a great signing but their defence is an injury away from a crisis and it's the same up front.

Chelsea still need a striker and they've let Lukaku go out on loan again, bizarrely. Midfield looks good but I don't really rate their defence and they looked decidedly average against us.

Liverpool are totally off our radar. Their team and squad is way below what is needed to breach the top 5, let alone challenge further up.

I find it strange that your analysis of us is so harsh and that we've regressed compared to others when there are myriad other problems to be seen in other teams that have not been dealt with.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    People keep saying we have the squad that walked the league last year. It's a non argument It's not the same Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Tottenham squads we will be facing this year.

Yeah its a fair point although I can't see Ozil winning the PL for Arsenal alone, they are very weak at the back still, Chelsea haven't been overly impressive yet and their signings don't put the fear of god in me and City have already dropped points against a weaker team and they have Joe blunder in goal.

I'm just glad the window is closed now. I hope the media realize that Woodward has to take a lot of flack and lay of Moyes. Moyes picked out his targets and was let down very badly by our negotiators

Gods above that is one transfer link I wish would just go away. We don't need him now, we won't need him then.

Exactly. Maybe he could be cover for De Gea.

One of our best players plays in that position, another reason for the lack in confidence people have in the current set up

NTMK wrote: »
    United havent said **** the only person ive heard run with the imposter story is Ballbag

imposter word came from jim white. have a read at the link posted -
    However, Manchester United insiders again insisted on Tuesday night that the lawyers were not working directly for them and the deal collapsed at an early stage because they were not prepared to meet the €36m buyout fee.

you think its Sid Lowe thats lying? he would be one of the most reliable out there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

First post after the TW ended. My frustrations are shared with you all but I don't think United are in a bad position. I think Fellani is a very good signing, even though we paid more than we should have for him.

Just two things worry me greatly:

1. Woodward. The guy either has to leave or seriously answer for his actions.
    2. I worry about Moyes team selection. Why on earth would you leave a player we genuinely need in Kagawa and not even have him on the subs bench? It doesn't make any sense.
    My hope for United now - first 11 of:

De Gea
    Rafael--Vidic--Ferdinand-Evra
    Fellaini--Carrick
    Nani----Rooney---Kagawa
    RVP.

We need Kagawa to become a key player for us. We need to give him the chance, and he needs to take it.

Without having signed a creative ball hungry CM, Kagawa has to be given the chance in the team. We need his eye for a pass brought in to the team.

valencia and young should not be getting priority over nani or kagawa imo.
    I really like Shinji & Nani and am all for this formation but I don't think this formation will happen over Welbeck & Valencia/Young because of the lack of defensive duties that "supposedly" come with the former, and the fact that he seems to like Welbeck a lot.

• Advertisement

Anyone else think Jones has been very poor so far in our opening games. I find him too rash and diving in like his life depends on it for every challenge. He seems to be picking up knocks every game and I am finding him very poor going forward. His deliveries has been quite bad. I know he's not playing his natural position and is still quite young but I was hoping for a bit more out of him so far

I am looking forward to Raf coming back. Any news on that front?

Anyone else think Jones has been very poor so far in our opening games. I find him too rash and diving in like his life depends on it for every challenge. He seems to be picking up knocks every game and I am finding him very poor going forward. His deliveries has been quite bad. I know he's not playing his natural position and is still quite young but I was hoping for a bit more out of him so far

Ya said it earlier. Raf has been big lose.

Right back isn't his position. Can't cross the ball and doesn't understand how to overlap properly.

May have made the move tpo quickly to United. Not quite ready for a centre back position, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Andy Mitten was on off the ball there about 40 mins ago saying he's got an interview with Woodward in 3 weeks. He said he was going to try to get some answers about exactly what went wrong in the last 2 months. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

We'll likely be six points off Chelsea by the end of September. I think it's a little generous to think that'll be the extent of the gap at Christmas.

imposter word came from jim white. have a read at the link posted -

you think its Sid Lowe thats lying? he would be one of the most reliable out there IMO.

Was it white? meh
    However, Manchester United insiders again insisted on Tuesday night that the lawyers were not working directly for them and the deal collapsed at an early stage because they were not prepared to meet the €36m buyout fee.

Wording is critical here
    the 3 were working for the club but are more likely consultants for united to deal with spanish law as finding spanish law experts in Manchester might be tricky, It would go along with the idea that they didnt have the power to buy the player on uniteds behalf, the club could have pushed on with the transfer as the HQ could sort it out, but if bilbao were going to challenge the buyout (which they can do) it could hold the transfer up till christmas and united may have pulled out due to "Bureaucratic Issues" (this may also include the reports of about 5-12million in tax on top of the clause)

Just to note im note defending woodward as we should have had our shopping done by the start of Aug

FWIW sid lowe is one of the more reliable jornos but the article seems to be focused on making it out to be 2 conflicting stories when in all likelihood its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The lawyers on the Herrara deal were the same ones used in the Bayern Martinez deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If Evra were to get injured we're in trouble. Buttner is dire. Fabio isn't good. It's our weakest position for a replacement.

Would be very happy to get Baines in but we're probably in no rush to deal with Everton again. I can see us doing a deal for Coentrao before Baines.

We'll likely be six points off Chelsea by the end of September. I think it's a little generous to think that'll be the extent of the gap at Christmas.

You think it'll be more? I don't.

You think it'll be more? I don't.
    Not a lot more. But I'd have it closer to nine, and maybe even, nine than six. Double figures is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody listen to news talk , the guy from Manchester? Painful painful stuff.

Oh everybody has a right to be angry.

Angry?

Boo how, we only spent 27 million on one player!!

Every single position has quality cover. Except, maybe , left back.

Every other position you've got players who can cover no problem.

A carrick, Fellaini, kagawa midfield could gel perfectly

Pj! wrote: »
    If Evra were to get injured we're in trouble. Buttner is dire. Fabio isn't good. It's our weakest position for a replacement.

Would be very happy to get Baines in but we're probably in no rush to deal with Everton again. I can see us doing a deal for Coentrao before Baines.

Baines hardly wants to warm the bench in the hope Evra gets injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Are we still running the backwards malark?

How in Gods name is the club going BACKWARDS when we STRENGTHENED the one area of concern??

But we signed a CM? We signed a proven PL and International CM that offers us something we have severley lacked. He is 25 years old, yet to hit his prime. He is a regular in a very near-World Class Belgium team.

Its progression. Moyes in the job 2 months and has signed a CM.

#MoyesIn

Not a lot more. But I'd have it closer to nine, and maybe even, nine than six. Double figures is possible.

Why? This seems crazy to me. Have they a much easier fixture list? What is it now, 4 points?

Why? This seems crazy to me. Have they a much easier fixture list? What is it now, 4 points?
    I think we're more liable to drop silly points than they are. Can't see us beating City in a few weeks. That's a good start on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what would cheer me up big time right now is jan signing that contract

wtf is happening there

Think I will follow Arsenal from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think we're more liable to drop silly points than they are. Can't see us beating City in a few weeks. That's a good start on it.

Chelsea have Everton and Spurs away in two of the three September fixtures they have.

Think I follow Arsenal from now on

see ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think I will follow Arsenal from now on

I think you should too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement