Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Some sources saying Carrick is starting tonight, I thought he'd retired from international football.

It's not great for us that he's starting, he'll need to be 100% for Saturday with the way Southampton press, and playing against high pressing teams is already a weakness in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Some sources saying Carrick is starting tonight, I thought he'd retired from international football.

It's not great for us that he's starting, he'll need to be 100% for Saturday with the way Southampton press, and playing against high pressing teams is already a weakness in his game.

True, but it could be good for his confidence if the games goes well for him. He hasn't been up to last season's form yet this season.

Btw, having him starting is much better for the team's balance than both Gerrard and Lampard in there. Glad I'm not an England fan, they've been butchering their team for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blatter wrote: »
    Seen this mentioned a few times on here but the facts don't back it up IMO.

Who Have United sold in the last 5-6 years where the price was below the perceived market value at the time? Can't even think of one to be honest.

Gibson 1.5million.
    Morrison 500k.
    Diouf 1.5million.
    Brown 1million
    Park 2.5million
    Berbatov 4million

All below their value imo.

Liverpool sold Carrol for 15million, Shelvey for 5, Ngog for 4million.

Shelvey 3 times what we got for Gibson, Ngog twice what we got for Diouf (who has scored a fuking bucket load of goals). Ngog for the same fee we got for Berbatov!

Add that to the crap fee we got for Beckham and Van Nistlerooy - we aren't good at selling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Blatter wrote: »
    Who Have United sold in the last 5-6 years where the price was below the perceived market value at the time? Can't even think of one to be honest.

The problem I find sometimes is that people can't separate their percieved valuation of a player as a fan and what the perceived market value from a neutral point of view is.
    RT2010 wrote: »
    Obviously I was joking with getting the £30m - £35m from Spurs. But as for my previous post saying 15m to 20m, I believe that United will definitely get that price for him if we sell.

Sadly, I think 15m would be the best we could do. I think it's more likely we'll see him move as a part-exchange or something similiar where we send him off cheap and get someone else cheap as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Gibson 1.5million.
    Morrison 500k.
    Diouf 1.5million.
    Brown 1million
    Park 2.5million
    Berbatov 4million

Shelvey 3 times what we got for Gibson, Ngog twice what we got for Diouf (who has scored a fuking bucket load of goals). Ngog for the same fee we got for Berbatov!

Add that to the crap fee we got for Beckham and Van Nistlerooy - we aren't good at selling.

I agree with your overall point. It's a good one, but using Carroll as an example of Liverpool getting a good fee is hilarious. :P

Kirby wrote: »
    I agree with your overall point. It's a good one, but using Carroll as an example of Liverpool getting a good fee is hilarious. :P

In terms of what they paid, yeah - but they got very good value for him in the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zaha is trying far to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Gibson 1.5million.
    Morrison 500k.
    Diouf 1.5million.
    Brown 1million
    Park 2.5million
    Berbatov 4million

Gibson had 6 months left on his contract, couldn't have expected much more.

Berbatov had 12 months to run and was on £100k/week, couldn't expect much more.

Brown and Park went for fair enough fees IMO, the certainly weren't worth much more.

Diouf has gone on to be worth much more than £1.5m, but I doubt many blinked an eye at that fee at the time?

Morrison was a troubled youngester (albeit very talented) who hardly had a senior game under his belt at the time. Also didn't have long to run on his contract (6 months I think?) Don't think many argued with the fee at the time.

Beckham went for a fairly reasonable fee, £25m in 2003, probably equivelant to £30-35m now? Perhaps worth a bit more considering his marketing value.

RvN went cheap but he was ageing and out of favour at the time, don't think he was worth much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Carrick Rooney Welbeck and Smalling starting for England tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Id say ol Woodward will be a cnut to buy players off :p prob the only thing hes good at.

• Advertisement

Id say ol Woodward will be a cnut to buy players off :p prob the only thing hes good at.

Indeed - so much so we still have Anderson!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus lads Ravel, bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Baines and Rooney linking up nicely

Rooney scored a good header there great delivery from Baines.

Nani scored a very good goal earlier

Kagawa played for Japan.

RVP was taken off at halftime for Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney scored a good header there great delivery from Baines.

Nani scored a very good goal earlier

Kagawa played for Japan.

RVP was taken off at halftime for Holland.

Kagawa on bench Saturday so.

zerks wrote: »
    Kagawa on bench Saturday so.

That was probably a given anyway.

Jan will probably start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the only he is good at is signing people like Mr Tayto and getting a life supply of tyres and watches for all the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ravel got into a bit of an on the pitch altercation with Zaha last night - doesn't paint either in a great light tbf!

Video here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not exactly a brawl was it? Nothing to get too concerned about, tempers can get frayed in the heat of the moment. I like to see fire in young players, don't know why I suppose. As long as they came off the field and it was forgotten about it wouldn't be a problem in the slightest. You want to do well, sometimes your drive to do well can show itself in the wrong way, that's where experience comes in. You hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

International football is over for another month.

Fellaini out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

International football is over for another month.

Fellaini out!!!!!

Chico will have to play NZ so he will be busy, who else will be involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Numerous sources reporting on Koke now. Barca are also interested in him since his call up to the national team. He was on SAF's radar apparently.
    Manchester United are ready to revive their interest in the 'new Xavi of Spanish football' by launching a January bid for Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke.

The 21-year old was on former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson's radar last season after establishing himself at the heart of Atletico's midfield with a string of assured performances.

He has continued in the same vein this season, steering Atletico into second place in the league behind Barcelona and even forcing his way into the senior Spain team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1813040-koke-reportedly-lined-up-for-january-transfer-bid-by-manchester-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought Koke was more of a winger? Or has he just been played there like Iniesta and Schweinsteiger have been in the past?

If he's as good a CM as is being suggested then him, Coentrao and then one of Lucas or Di Maria by next Summer and the squad would be in tremendous shape for a couple of years at least.

Nice to see Zaha & Morrison getting along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Liam O wrote: »
    If he's as good a CM as is being suggested then him, Coentrao and then one of Lucas or Di Maria by next Summer and the squad would be in tremendous shape for a couple of years at least.

Would ye have Sanchez, Di Maria or Lucas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Robson99 wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of Sanchez but he really went backwards at Barca from what I seen last season. Watching him at Udinese he was devastating and even though the team didn't need another wide player at the time I wanted him. In an ideal world I'd sell Young and Valencia and bring in 2 of them. Probably get about £20-25m for Young and Valencia if that Galatasaray rumour from a few weeks ago was true, could probably get Di Maria for that and then one of the other ones self funded. Right now Di Maria and Sanchez would probably be the 2 but in terms of future potential then Lucas and Di Maria would have to be the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

probably Di Maria. i'm basing this on Sanchez really hasnt lived up to what he was billed as since going to barca and dont think lucas has really either

For a wide role I would prefer Di Maria and Lucas

Centrally Sanchez and Lucas

Depends on where you would be deploying them tbh.

I would always take Lucas though :)

Sanchez is starting to find form again,could be hard to prise him away from Barca if he continues to improve.
    Speaking of Barca,Bild reporting that they've agreed a deal with Dortmund for Mats Hummels with a fee of around €35 million being mentioned.(Maybe they'll need to sell to help raise the funds)

• Advertisement

Nice to see Zaha & Morrison getting along.

thats pretty poor from both, but Morrison is lucky not to get red there.

£29m is a steal for Hummels, I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot more interest in him at that price.

United could even manipulate the situation by showing some interest, making Barca pay more thus it being more likely they'll sell a player. Actually scratch that, we'd probably fcuk it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Looks like Dortmund are beginning to lose a lot of their top players. Kawaga. Gotze, Lewandowski now Hummels . Its a pity as they are a great team to watch.

£29m is a steal for Hummels, I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot more interest in him at that price.

United could even manipulate the situation by showing some interest, making Barca pay more thus it being more likely they'll sell a player. Actually scratch that, we'd probably fcuk it up.

We'd end up signing a sponsorship deal with this crowd: https://www.shophummel.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Looks like Dortmund are beginning to lose a lot of their top players. Kawaga. Gotze, Lewandowski now Hummels . Its a pity as they are a great team to watch.

They'll still be a great team to watch, they seem to have a very good scouting network. They'll probably end up getting Kagawa back anyway the way it's going!

Woodward is planning to extend the UTD brand in the US next. If he does it as well as other areas it could reap huge revenue for the club.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/09/19/manchester-united-target-usa-next-phase-english-premier-league-clubs-expansi?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=mobile&utm_campaign=Paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Glazers will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Woodward is planning to extend the UTD brand in the US next. If he does it as well as other areas it could reap huge revenue for the club.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/09/19/manchester-united-target-usa-next-phase-english-premier-league-clubs-expansi?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=mobile&utm_campaign=Paid

Should concentrate on trying to improve his transfer negotiation skills first.. great to see where Woodward and utds priorities lie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Horrible miss by Chicharito.
    w1FiEru.gif

Thank **** it was him and not Danny or we would be seeing that gif an awful lot more me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Weird miss, seemed harder to miss actually.

Thank fcuk international break is over!

Weird miss, seemed harder to miss actually.

Thank fcuk international break is over!

Think there may have been a little divot, or he kicked the ground when going for it with his right leg, worse misses have happened before and will again :) Even the best can have a howler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

kryogen wrote: »
    Thank **** it was him and not Danny or we would be seeing that gif an awful lot more me thinks

Welbeck missed his own sitter last night. 5 yards out, centre of the goal but Danny being Danny he somehow managed to spoon it wide.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Should concentrate on trying to improve his transfer negotiation skills first.. great to see where Woodward and utds priorities lie...

Rubbish post

J. Marston wrote: »
    Welbeck missed his own sitter last night. 5 yards out, centre of the goal but Danny being Danny he somehow managed to spoon it wide.

No obligatory gif highlighting it about yet?

Do you think the people that highlight and make gifs of every miss etc make them for every goal/good play too?

Could be useful resource then

J. Marston wrote: »

For Welbecks shot the ball was still in the air and his legs were tangled (not for the first time) as he was being tackled by two players. It was a bad miss but not nearly as bad as that howler from Chico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Or it could be due to the fact he has gotten very little game time so far this season and is a little rusty.

Rubbish post

honest question, do you get offended by everything thats doesnt involve licking Uniteds ass?

you complain about me and others going on about whats going wrong in the club, but your constant attacking of people who say anything bad about anything United related, is actually worse...much worse.

this poster has a valid point, what he says is the truth, yet you dismiss it as rubbish. i admire your staunch defense of the club, i used be like that when i was younger, but theres so many people with their heads in the sand when it comes to realising there are severe fundamental issues with the way the club is being run.

you may not agree with it, but you cant acuse people of being negative or moaning, as your constantly doing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

you complain about me and others going on about whats going wrong in the club, but your constant attacking of people who say anything bad about anything United related, is actually worse...much worse.

this poster has a valid point, what he says is the truth, yet you dismiss it as rubbish. i admire your staunch defense of the club, i used be like that when i was younger, but theres so many people with their heads in the sand when it comes to realising there are severe fundamental issues with the way the club is being run.

you may not agree with it, but you cant acuse people of being negative or moaning, as your constantly doing it yourself.

Homer says it, must be true then.

Even though it's not.

Adds in condescending part as per usual.

• Advertisement

honest question, do you get offended by everything thats doesnt involve 1. licking Uniteds ass?

you complain about me and others going on about whats going wrong in the club, but your constant 2. attacking of people who say anything bad about anything United related, is actually worse...much worse.

3. this poster has a valid point, what he says is the truth, yet you dismiss it as rubbish. i admire your staunch defense of the club, i used be like that when i was younger, but theres so many people with their heads in the sand when it comes to realising 4. there are severe fundamental issues with the way the club is being run.

1. I cricticise UTD plenty.

2. I didn't attack anyone, I attacked his post.

3. He does not have a valid point. Its not the truth or concerned with dealing with the truth. Its a pop at UTD and our chief exec and is a non researched and structured post.

4. Severe fundamental issue? This is a gross over dramatisation. You say I have my head in the sand but its not the case. I see the reality of the club as a business where as you and other posters are over negative and looking for any chance to have a go at the club and Woodward personally. Would you elaborate on the severe fundamental issues?

That was not an attack on you but a disagreement with your post. If you can't see where any of the points, 3 & 4 especially are coming from I don't know how to explain it because its obvious to anyone who looks at the current situation objectively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement