Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Well Eric ze King launched himself at a fan but we love him :D

True that... but while Eric was an eccentric and firey old divil, you wouldn't class him as a proper scumbag though would you? Certainly not in the mould of scum that Morrison appears to be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ericzeking wrote: »
    True that... but while Eric was an eccentric and firey old divil, you wouldn't class him as a proper scumbag though would you? Certainly not in the mould of scum that Morrison appears to be....

Careful with the abuse there. Don't refer to Morrison as scum again, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ravel's main problem was his gangster mates.The move to London seems to be sorting him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

is Modric getting game time at Madrid so far this season?

Not only has he been getting game time, but he has been absolutely brilliant for them so far this season. When I've seen him play he's been part of a 2 in CM, has been getting stuck in defensively and controlling the game when in possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ericzeking wrote: »

Difference is Cantona was a mid twenties man at that stage and I cant find a source but ive read Fergie has said it was his friends that influenced Ravel, sure you can see it now that hes in London he has knuckled down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The last thing Moyes needed was the international break. Kagawa, Chico going away again and after long journeys will need to be rested. Loads of players playing midweek and playing an on form team Southampton on Saturday. Really worried about Saturday Southampton are going to be a very tough games but hopeful.

They have been on the bench for most of the season so far, they are well rested, too well rested according to Kagawa! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We'll probably swap Kagawa and cash for Reus then play him left back.

• Advertisement

We'll probably swap Kagawa and cash for Reus then play him left back.

Thats insane......back up goalie more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Odd question for United fans:

What match did Ferguson miss in the 98/99 season,and who took over for him?

It's for a competition to win a book on the Guardian website,I've tried googling but have had no luck!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It's for a competition to win a book on the Guardian website,I've tried googling but have had no luck!

Cheers.

Cant remember the match but id be thinking Steve McCLaren might have been the man,or else Jimmy Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cheers.

Jimmy Ryan.

we lost 3-2 to boro....our last defeat that year, went 42 games unbeaten after that i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So I just started playing fm 2014 today. I made a complete balls of the transfer window Woodward style

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    So I just started playing fm 2014 today. I made a complete balls of the transfer window Woodward style

Unearthly out! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jimmy Ryan.

we lost 3-2 to boro....our last defeat that year, went 42 games unbeaten after that i think.

SAF was at a funeral...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Well lads..whats the story with Fellaini? Is he available for Saturday or out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Did the same.

Though I gave up on Fabregas after 3 days as opposed to a month!

Knocked back on Herrera, Fabregas, Gundogan, Modric, Ramsey and a few others. Signed Koke, Shaw and Prowse (with a loan back). Might try and get another CM in - have to see what money I have left. Very effing hard to sell Young, Anderson and Lindegaard.

Haven't played a game yet.

Available as they will delay surgery. Should only miss two weeks after surgery.

Source

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    SAF was at a funeral...
    Thought he was at a wedding in South Africa, or is it another game he missed for that?
    macslash wrote: »
    Well lads..whats the story with Fellaini? Is he available for Saturday or out?

Should be available, op put off to december, seemingly.

Cleverley is likely out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thought he was at a wedding in South Africa, or is it another game he missed for that?

Should be available, op put off to december, seemingly.

Cleverley is likely out.

Thank god, we need him to have a big game, he's been pretty meh so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can't play with a big team on FM anymore, way too boring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Yep, apart from first half against Bayer Leverkusen. He was pretty good there. He'll be grand once he's settled down.

I can't work out what the fect he is being asked to do, to be honest.

The Shaktar game was the only one so far that I have felt we were actually using him. I don't like him as an AM or in that position, but at least I could work out the plan....

In the games he has played CM he has seemingly been asked to play like Carrick - he sits deep, gets the ball and passes along. I just don't understand that use of him. the amount of times we have had the ball wide and he has either hung back or is retreating from the box - it is mind boggling!

I'd be playing Carrick in his traditional role - maybe with more freedom to push forward, but I would certainly be telling Fellaini to impose himself on the game more - if Carrick is behind him he should be pushing on and providing another problem for the opposition.

It is almost like he/Moyes wanted to prove he could be a defensive midfielder as we would traditionally see the role, so tactically decided not to utilize his talents properly.

Yeah, I would definitely like to see Fellaini just given a destructive role in the middle where Carrick lays back and Fellaini just nips at everyone. That's what I thought he'd do but I have faith he'll grow into that.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah, I would definitely like to see Fellaini just given a destructive role in the middle where Carrick lays back and Fellaini just nips at everyone. That's what I thought he'd do but I have faith he'll grow into that.

That's kinda what I thought he'd be best at but we'd need a third midfield player in the playmaker role if that's the case and I think football is kind of moving that way too. Another 3 attackers ahead of that where the "wingers" cut in and play little interchanges with the playmaker and the main striker. Having wingers that can play as a striker so they can all switch with each other is the way to go I think. That's why Kagawa, Nani, RVP and Rooney should play together more often, not necessarily all at the same time so that formation works. It's also why I think Valencia needs some bench time.

We're missing a midfield playmaker for sure. Kagawa is a number ten first, winger second. He is not a player for the deeper lying playmaker role. Neither is Rooney.

My formation:

De Gea
    - Rafael -- Smalling -- Vidic -- Evra
    -- Fellaini --Mystery playmaker -- Carrick --
    -- Nani -- Rooney/RVP -- Kagawa --

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Demo is it? Can't find it online..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

only1stevo wrote: »
    Demo is it? Can't find it online..?

No Beta ya have to preorder it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ah now you have me doubting myself - definitely remember him being at a funeral and missing a game though...

Manchester United have agreed to investigate the viability of introducing a safe-standing area at Old Trafford – a move which could potentially deliver major impetus to the campaign for an alternative to seats for fans in the Premier League.

But The Independent understands that the club's new chief executive, Ed Woodward, expressed a willingness to explore the idea when supporters' representatives put it to him at a recent fans' forum. With Woodward's experience of standing at Chelmsford City, in his native Essex, being a contributing factor, the Premier League champions have now agreed to look at the logistics of altering the Old Trafford infrastructure to accommodate the increased number of supporters that a safe-standing area might bring.

The Manchester United Supporters' Trust has been campaigning to promote a way of introducing safe seating which would not involve an increase in ground capacity: rail seats, which can be folded back for Premier League games and sold as seats for European matches. This device, by which safe seating has been reintroduced in Germany, creates one standing space per seat and would not require United to alter the stadium. But their introduction would entail United facing the cost of making alterations while fans would probably be able to pay less to occupy the standing area.

UK Independent

the cynic in me thinks these moves by the club (adding football club back to the crest, and the look at safe standing) will ultimately come to nothing and are PR stunts to try get the fans on his side - to outwardly look like he is on their side.

as mentioned in this article, United and any other club can look at it, but while legislation prevents it, it doesn't matter. They could say they are looking at it and be doing nothing to push it with the government - so ultimately they can say 'Oh we looked at it, and we so wanted to give the fans what they want, but we can't due to the law of the land, so sorry'.

CLUB FOOTBALL TOMORROW DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

the cynic in me thinks these moves by the club (adding football club back to the crest, and the look at safe standing) will ultimately come to nothing and are PR stunts to try get the fans on his side - to outwardly look like he is on their side.

as mentioned in this article, United and any other club can look at it, but while legislation prevents it, it doesn't matter. They could say they are looking at it and be doing nothing to push it with the government - so ultimately they can say 'Oh we looked at it, and we so wanted to give the fans what they want, but we can't due to the law of the land, so sorry'.

The crest stuff is going back about 6 months at this stage since we first heard rumours about it being changed

The safe standing idea is something that can be changed in england. There was 2 issues stopping it for years, Hooliganism and the state of a lot of stadiums but those issues have dissappeared for the most part in the EPL. If enough clubs push for it a make a decent argument for it. the law could be overturned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

CLUB FOOTBALL TOMORROW DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!

Any injuries picked up over the last week or so ? I haven't really followed things closely.

NTMK wrote: »
    If enough clubs push for it a make a decent argument for it. the law could be overturned

I agree with you.

But.....

1. Clubs could potentially lose money through this - lower ticket prices and cost of conversion.
    2. I don't see there being an appetite to make a legislation change as IF anything were to happen it would be linked back to Hillsborough and the Lawerence report, and the people who sanctioned 'terraces' again would be done in politics and destroyed by the press.

I don't see the clubs pushing for it too much due to point 1, and I don't see the politicians being too keen for point 2.

I'm sure if I gave it some more thought I could find a lot of other reasons why it won't get pushed too far by the people with the power to change it.

I agree with you.

But.....

1. Clubs could potentially lose money through this - lower ticket prices and cost of conversion.
    2. I don't see there being an appetite to make a legislation change as IF anything were to happen it would be linked back to Hillsborough and the Lawerence report, and the people who sanctioned 'terraces' again would be done in politics and destroyed by the press.

I don't see the clubs pushing for it too much due to point 1, and I don't see the politicians being too keen for point 2.

I'm sure if I gave it some more thought I could find a lot of other reasons why it won't get pushed too far by the people with the power to change it.

The profit from the seats is a drop in the ocean to the bigger clubs and ticket prices for smaller clubs wont be affected as they're low enough already cost of conversion wouldnt be huge for the Top clubs but its a fair point none the less

are terraces outlawed by goverment decision or FA that will be the deciding factor but the safe standing method is nthing like the old school terraces and would avoid a hillsborough incident happening again providing its only lower tiers that are appoved.

Ive experienced all 3 and the safe standing is the best of both worlds imo

But there are slim chances of it happening

NTMK wrote: »
    safe standing method is nthing like the old school terraces and would avoid a hillsborough incident happening again providing its only lower tiers that are appoved.

Ive experienced all 3 and the safe standing is the best of both worlds imo

Again, I agree with you. I'm not arguing against the idea - i'm just trying to see how it will practically play out.

the general public, and politicians won't hear the 'safe' part of safe standing, they will hear the standing part - and the hillsborough disaster is what will immediately come to mind.

While the design would preclude such a disaster again (or reduce the chances massively), along with better policing and crowd control standards - while there is even a small chance of significant injury (never mind death) of any number of people from this change, I don't think there will be willingness from people in power to make themselves liable for it - even if just in public perception. (I would also say that people standing, as they do, in the current seating structures is far more dangerous than standing in a specifically designed safe standing area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yahoo have Carrick as our key man so far this season according to their stats

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/stats-clearly-show-united-key-man-season-150126884.html

Again, I agree with you. I'm not arguing against the idea - i'm just trying to see how it will practically play out.

the general public, and politicians won't hear the 'safe' part of safe standing, they will hear the standing part - and the hillsborough disaster is what will immediately come to mind.

While the design would preclude such a disaster again (or reduce the chances massively), along with better policing and crowd control standards - while there is even a small chance of significant injury (never mind death) of any number of people from this change, I don't think there will be willingness from people in power to make themselves liable for it - even if just in public perception. (I would also say that people standing, as they do, in the current seating structures is far more dangerous than standing in a specifically designed safe standing area.

i agree there isnt a hope of it coming back if the ban is a goverment one. If its FA then then there is a small hope but its worth a bit of poking to see what can be done at least and i cant fault the club from making an attempt to see where everything stands on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If a fans section can hold 15,000 people and 15,000 are allowed in then it's no problem. The problem lies where the terrace holds 15,000 and they let people in without counting them. A couple of years ago a steward would have to make a judgement call on when to stop letting people in and this was mainly based on how full the steward thought the terrace was.

If we have a terrace that holds 30,000 and 30,000 tickets are produced then there will be no problem. The only fans that make noise in England are the away fans and that's in every football ground from Old Trafford to Anfield. Fans nowadays shouldn't be penalised because of the mistakes of stadium managers years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What do people think we will see tomorrow. Would be happy with the team below.

DDG

Raf Vidic Smalling Evra

Carrick Fellaini

Nani Rooney Janjuaz

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What do people think we will see tomorrow. Would be happy with the team below.

DDG

Raf Vidic Smalling Evra

Carrick Fellaini

Nani Rooney Janjuaz

RVP

Swap Rio for Smalling and that's what I think it'll be .

Nani needs to keep playing as far as I'm concerned, some of his crosses last time round were really good and with RVP and Rooney finding a bit of form for their countries he should be able to link up well with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Nani needs to keep playing as far as I'm concerned, some of his crosses last time round were really good and with RVP and Rooney finding a bit of form for their countries he should be able to link up well with them.

Nani second half vs West Brom and against Sunderland showed glimpses of old. Also heard he was good for Portugal it's important he keeps his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Express linking us with Hummels now,saying we'll meet the release clause of £29.5 million even though earlier reports said he'd signed a pre-contract with Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Nani is in last chance saloon IMO. Hes ok for some league games at home again weaker opposition but he has done nothing for the last 12 months in any of the big games he has played in nor has he been much use away from home. I would like us to play

Rooney Kawaga Adnan

RVP

Robson99 wrote: »
    Nani is in last chance saloon IMO. Hes ok for some league games at home again weaker opposition but he has done nothing for the last 12 months in any of the big games he has played in nor has he been much use away from home. I would like us to play

Rooney Kawaga Adnan

RVP

Would argue that in the last 12 months he has hardly played a string of games to get into form.

Thankfully he has just signed a new contract so won't be heading off anywhere soon.

Would certainly be giving him more time than I would Valencia or Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Robson99 wrote: »

Rooney Kawaga Adnan

RVP

Aye, I reckon that new five year contract he has been given is his 'last chance' all right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement