Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Odd question for United fans:

What match did Ferguson miss in the 98/99 season,and who took over for him?

It's for a competition to win a book on the Guardian website,I've tried googling but have had no luck!

Cheers.
    I thought it was Eric Harrison but looks like there's a few Jim Ryans so I'll bow to that...what a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Januzaj and Sutherland (GK) have been added to the CL squad (via B list).

SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ADNAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Swap Rio for Smalling and that's what I think it'll be .
    I'd be happy with that...Southampton will be tough, playing some really good stuff. Them along with Swansea have really impressed me this season from the perceived mid-lower tier teams...having said that I'll go for a 2-0 Rooney & RvP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Januzaj and Sutherland (GK) have been added to the CL squad (via B list).

SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ADNAN!
    I am happy at Manchester United and I want to commit myself 100 per cent in every game to do my best,’ Januzaj told Kosovo-based broadcaster, KTV.

'I want to help Manchester United win the Premier League and become the best player in the world.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2465763/Adnan-Januzaj-ready-commit-future-Manchester-United-best-player-world-father-decide-England.html#ixzz2i4tOcl67

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Aye, I reckon that new five year contract he has been given is his 'last chance' all right.
    I said IMO!!!! Contracts mean nothing these days. While I would agree he is better than Young he is much of a much with Valencia. Valencia has the added bonous that he can play right back if needeed. Nani is nowhere near good enough to create anything against top level opposition. I know he hasnt been played on a consistant basis over the last 12 months but I think his performances when he has played is the factor behind that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Robson99 wrote: »
    I said IMO!!!!

What I said was IMO too. I think it's pretty silly to say that he was offered a 5 year contract a few weeks ago when he is in "last chance saloon".

What I said was IMO too. I think it's pretty silly to say that he was offered a 5 year contract a few weeks ago when he is in "last chance saloon".

Fair enough. I think the contract will allow us to get 12-15m for him if anyone wants him rather that he being available on a freebe

I said IMO!!!! Contracts mean nothing these days. While I would agree he is better than Young he is much of a much with Valencia. Valencia has the added bonous that he can play right back if needeed. Nani is nowhere near good enough to create anything against top level opposition. I know he hasnt been played on a consistant basis over the last 12 months but I think his performances when he has played is the factor behind that

Being able to play RB poorly (imo) isn't much of a bonus. Plus I'd prefer we play Fabio there, or even the Uruguayan fella if required, over Valencia. Play a right back at right back.

As for Nani not being good enough to create vs top opposition - when he is on form I couldn't disagree anymore. One of the few players we have that is capable of turning a game vs ANYONE, imo.

I think the breakdown of his relationship with Fergie contributed to both his poor form and lack of selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nani is in last chance saloon IMO. Hes ok for some league games at home again weaker opposition but he has done nothing for the last 12 months in any of the big games he has played in nor has he been much use away from home. I would like us to play

Rooney Kawaga Adnan

RVP

What big games? Madrid? He was doing fine until the nonsensical sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Nani is in last chance saloon IMO. Hes ok for some league games at home again weaker opposition but he has done nothing for the last 12 months in any of the big games he has played in nor has he been much use away from home. I would like us to play

Rooney Kawaga Adnan

RVP

Rooney has been our best player this season and you want to move him to a position he hates and is very poor at. You want Kagawa who has only come back from a long trip and who has been poor to replace Rooney. Unless i am reading this wrong i hope i am.

I just cant think of maybe more than 2 or 3 top performances he has had against top opposition. He is almost 27 he should be at his peak. He just hasnt progressed. He is a long way behind the likes of Ronaldo, Reus, Ribery, Roben, Sanchez, Bale, Hazard, Di Maria.

I presume you only started watching football 12-18 months ago if you think he can't create against top level opposition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

GK1001 wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that...Southampton will be tough, playing some really good stuff. Them along with Swansea have really impressed me this season from the perceived mid-lower tier teams...having said that I'll go for a 2-0 Rooney & RvP

Southampton have conceded 2 goals all season. We look completely incapable of scoring from open play. I would take a 1-0 and run for the hills. :-)

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rooney has been our best player this season and you want to move him to a position he hates and is very poor at. You want Kagawa who has only come back from a long trip and who has been poor to replace Rooney. Unless i am reading this wrong i hope i am.

No your reading it correctly Rooney has created nothing for us in the middle since the Swansea game. Kawaga deserves his chance there

I presume you only started watching football 12-18 months ago if you think he can't create against top level opposition.

He has been poor for the last 12-18 months. He has barley a handful of top performances against top level opposition prior to that. When the chips are down he hides. IMO he is just not good enough for UTD.

No your reading it correctly Rooney has created nothing for us in the middle since the Swansea game. Kawaga deserves his chance there

5 goals and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't seem like nothing to me in a team lacking creativity from midfield but you must have Ronaldo and Messi standards fair enough.

Also if your going to give Kagawa a chance why would you push Rooney to the wing instead of an actual winger.

Belarus isn't that long a trip in fairness. Kagawa and Nani either side of Rooney and RVP should be tried this weekend, though I feel with Young's lack of internationals he'll get another game over one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Liam O wrote: »
    Kagawa and Nani either side of Rooney and RVP should be tried this weekend, though I feel with Young's lack of internationals he'll get another game over one of them.

I think Januzaj easily did enough against Sunderland to merit starting again tomorrow. I don't think Young will be starting for a while. Hope i'm not wrong anyway.

• Advertisement

I think Januzaj easily did enough against Sunderland to merit starting again tomorrow. I don't think Young will be starting for a while. Hope i'm not wrong anyway.

He's still only 18 though and Southampton are streets ahead of Sunderland. I'm not buying into the hype just yet. He has a lot of potential but is still quite wasteful and defensively naive. He does seem to be Moyes' pet project though so wouldn't be surprised but would prefer he didn't get too many games, increases the chances of him having a nightmare game and destroying his confidence which happens a lot with players his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's still only 18 though and Southampton are streets ahead of Sunderland. I'm not buying into the hype just yet. He has a lot of potential but is still quite wasteful and defensively naive. He does seem to be Moyes' pet project though so wouldn't be surprised but would prefer he didn't get too many games, increases the chances of him having a nightmare game and destroying his confidence which happens a lot with players his age.

They may be better than Sunderland but we're at home, we should be going out and attacking teams at home. If Jan is good enough for a tricky away tie at Sunderland, he's good enough for a home tie against Southampton imo. I understand where you're coming from though. i'd love to see Kagawa given a chance too but i just don't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

But this club is crying out for a new CR7.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd be fecking stunned if Januzaj doesn't start tbh. I'd actually be very angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Cop on Adnan you are 18 ffs you pick!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does his Dad act as his agent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Cop on Adnan you are 18 ffs you pick!!!

It's a very astute move by him and his father; Adnan concentrates on playing football and his Dad can deal with the crap from the all countries who will be annoyed, especially the Albanians!

5 goals and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't seem like nothing to me in a team lacking creativity from midfield but you must have Ronaldo and Messi standards fair enough.

Also if your going to give Kagawa a chance why would you push Rooney to the wing instead of an actual winger.

Rooney hasnt scored from play in the league this season and hasnt had an assist since the swansea game. Thats not good form.

The reason I would play Rooney on the right is because I think he is better than Nani

It's a very astute move by him and his father; Adnan concentrates on playing football and his Dad can deal with the crap from the all countries who will be annoyed, especially the Albanians!

Yeh let the Countries annoy ol Jan, but to come out and say Daddy will choose shows lack of maturity, I wonder does Daddy choose his boots or god forbid club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney's goals have covered up some really average performances from him, he needs games to get in form though, the same as Nani really.

Jan should be played tomorrow, his performance alone in the Sunderland game should put him above Young and Valencia in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Yeh let the Countries annoy ol Jan, but to come out and say Daddy will choose shows lack of maturity, I wonder does Daddy choose his boots or god forbid club!

Or else there could be a lot of political crap involved with all the countries involved(possible death threats usual crap) and all the attention will be put on the father.

• Advertisement

'It is my dad who decides which national team I will play for so I will listen to him,’ Januzaj added.

It's more likely that he respects his father's opinion. Of the two quotes above, I think that Januzaj's exhibits more maturity.

Nolars wrote: »
    Or else there could be a lot of political crap involved with all the countries involved(possible death threats usual crap) and all the attention will be put on the father.
    It's more likely that he respects his father's opinion. Of the two quotes above, I think that Januzaj's exhibits more maturity.

Jan can do no wrong.........

head-in-the-sand.jpg

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:p:p

Speaking to Kosovo-based broadcaster KTV, Januzaj said: “I am happy at Manchester United and I want to commit myself 100 per cent in every game to do my best.

“I want to help Manchester United win the Premier League and become the best player in the world.”

UK Independent

More good news from Adnan! Love this guy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

spent the week in france and managed to get in the France game...Pogba was outstanding...looks a really crucial player with them and the lads i was with, are from turin so they rave and rave about him. he looks like he is going to be a beast, though i still have belief that his head will f8ck up his progress at some stage.

Evra was excellent by the way and seems to be a real leader for them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It's all going on a bit long for me, you'd think a deal for such a young player signing his first major contract would be wrapped up quick smart.

This past week was an ideal time for such a deal to be done, the lad doesn't play international after all.

I hope I am wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they were stalling to see what else was out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

ericzeking wrote: »
    It's all going on a bit long for me, you'd think a deal for such a young player signing his first major contract would be wrapped up quick smart.

This past week was an ideal time for such a deal to be done, the lad doesn't play international after all.

I hope I am wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they were stalling to see what else was out there.

I suspect his agent is holding out for a better offer from Utd, let Jan have a few more impressive games, build his profile so Utd have little choice but to agree to their demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's more likely that he respects his father's opinion.

It looks to me like he said that it's his farther who will decide which national team he will play for, although it is written a bit weirdly so maybe he didn't mean that.

If he did mean that his dad will decide for him then that is ridiculous shirking of responsibility for his own actions for an 18 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pro. F wrote: »
    that is ridiculous shirking of responsibility for his own actions for an 18 year old.

Or an incredibly easy way to deflect a difficult question without much controversy. Seems obvious to most I would say.

Or an incredibly easy way to deflect a difficult question without much controversy. Seems obvious to most I would say.

Except for the fact he is making himself out to be a child who lets others make one of the biggest decisions in his life for him.

Except for the fact he is making himself out to be a child who lets others make one of the biggest decisions in his life for him.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He's 18, he is a child.

He's 18, he is a child.

No hes not, 18 is legally an adult, he plays for Man Utd, a child he is not.

He's 18, he is a child.

Eh, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's 18, he is a child.

Shocked.gif

Balls.

Can you guys provide an alibi for my whereabouts last Saturday night? I swear she told me she was 19

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Southampton have conceded 2 goals all season. We look completely incapable of scoring from open play. I would take a 1-0 and run for the hills. :-)

Match thread will be fun if we lose:(

x0iq6P3.gif

Due to EPL withdrawl symptoms,I started the match thread early.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057064188

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Match thread will, again, be avoided at all costs - they all (mostly) seem to turn to clusterfcuks.
    Clean sheet and a couple of goals please.

_____

Also, if anyone can sort out a mate of mine with 4x tickets for the Stoke game tomorrow week, gis a shout, ta! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Match thread will, again, be avoided at all costs - they all seem to turn to clusterfcuks.
    Clean sheet and a couple of goals please.

Hopefully a few from RVP too;
    Excluding penalties, Robin van Persie has failed to score in 14 of his last 18 Premier League games, including the last five in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Hopefully a few from RVP too;

If he plays. Moyes said he hasn't come back in the best condition from international duty.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If he plays. Moyes said he hasn't come back in the best condition from international duty.

Chico Time! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement