Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Moyes > Capello?

LOL

Utd were looking at a long term manager. Dont think Capello would have given them that. Also he didnt cover himself in glory when managing England did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I would have taken feckin Van Gaal at this stage. Like most fans I didn't want Moyes but I genuinely thought he'd do alright. 5 points from 4 home games says it all for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Robson99 wrote: »
    Utd were looking at a long term manager. Dont think Capello would have given them that. Also he didnt cover himself in glory when managing England did he?

Doesn't make sense to go for a clearly inferior manager just because he would be willing to stay longer. Of course he would stay, nobody else at Uniteds level would have wanted him.

I love the long term strategy. It will be long term £uropa league soon. Really messed up not getting Ancelotti have to say. He would have been perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Its the summer transfer window all over again.

Wait till end the season to see how he gets on....

I think theres more to it then just Moyes theres background issues at the club the whole club seems to be geared towards making money now and saving and cutting back when they can. Bringing in Moyes was part of this. Woodward same thing.

Just imagine what condition we would be like now if we had of lost Rooney this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Moyes will only be able to offer stability if he brings the success to keep him in the job. As I said at the time, we could be looking for a new manager in 2/3 years because Moyes doesn't prove good enough - as much a prospect as Jose or Capello etc leaving after 3 years cause they don't stay long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

bullvine wrote: »
    I love the long term strategy. It will be long term £uropa league soon. Really messed up not getting Ancelotti have to say. He would have been perfect.

Great manager, he's the premier league and Moyes is the conference.

Its the summer transfer window all over again.

Wait till end the season to see how he gets on....

I think theres more to it then just Moyes theres background issues at the club the whole club seems to be geared towards making money now and saving and cutting back when they can. Bringing in Moyes was part of this. Woodward same thing.

Just imagine what condition we would be like now if we had of lost Rooney this summer!
    United can't afford to wait until the end of the season, a season without Champions League could do unthinkable damage. If things haven't measurably improved by Christmas, United need to pull the plug. It is unacceptable for United not to be in the top 4 or at least hot on the heels of it.

CSF wrote: »
    United can't afford to wait until the end of the season, a season without Champions League could do unthinkable damage. If things haven't measurably improved by Christmas, United need to pull the plug. It is unacceptable for United not to be in the top 4 or at least hot on the heels of it.

Thats what im saying its more the fact most will tell you to wait till at least one season to judge our position and his.

The way things are going by time comes to January we will be out of the race.

You have Chelsea Arsenal City all playing decent top football Liverpool with a front two that if they stay on form will keep them in top four or abouts. Spurs have a great squad Everton will be up there to. Then you have the rest who will battle and take points off of everyone.

Where behind them all at this moment in time.

Who are they going to get if they fire Moyes though?

Mourinho and Pep are gone and can be forgotten about. Same with Ancellotti and I'd be shocked if Klopp upped sticks midseason. I'm sure it would be the same for most other managers that we'd be looking at as long term solutions if Moyes was to get the sack.

I just don't see Moyes being fired this season - I reckon he has til summer 2015 at the earliest.

He won't go midseason (imo) and I reckon he will be given the next summer window as well to try build his team. If we are still mediocre in March 2015 he'll be a goner.

• Advertisement

Mourinho and Pep are gone and can be forgotten about. Same with Ancellotti and I'd be shocked if Klopp upped sticks midseason. I'm sure it would be the same for most other managers that we'd be looking at as long term solutions if Moyes was to get the sack.

I just don't see Moyes being fired this season - I reckon he has til summer 2015 at the earliest.

He won't go midseason (imo) and I reckon he will be given the next summer window as well to try build his team. If we are still mediocre in March 2015 he'll be a goner.

There is absolutely no way, he'll be in the job come January if they are outta of Champions League contention. Not a chance, its too important.

I would say United will have to throw a lot of money around to get a manager who wouldn't otherwise be attainable. The potential alternative is unthinkable.

Klopp, Laudrup, Heynckes.

There is absolutely no way, he'll be in the job come January if they are outta of Champions League contention. Not a chance, its too important.
    i'd be extremely confident that you are wrong on that.

Would place a bet on it, but we'd have to agree on 'contention', and a null bet if we are in the CL spaces/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Would place a bet on it, but we'd have to agree on 'contention', and a null bet if we are in the CL spaces/

I'd agree with you here. Two years minimum unless we are nowhere near where we need to be.

I would say that if United are 7 or more points off 4th come December 26th, that Moyes would be a goner sooner or later.

I'd agree with you here. Two years minimum unless we are nowhere near where we need to be.

Testament to the fact that Ferguson has too much sway at the club though.

I will take that Bet! What CSF said, 7points or more off Fourth spot come Dec 26h..

I dont think it has anything to do with that - I just don't think United will sack him within 12 month of appointment, and once they have given him the next summer window they will give him the majority of that season too. imo.

I will take that Bet! What CSF said, 7points or more off Fourth spot come Dec 26h..

fair enough - say €10? What time frame you want on the sacking, sacked by (around) what date?

• Advertisement

I dont think it has anything to do with that - I just don't think United will sack him within 12 month of appointment, and once they have given him the next summer window they will give him the majority of that season too. imo.
    Which IMO is terrible running of the club. David Moyes genuinely has the potential to cause massive damage to the club. United are already running at a disadvantage on transfers to Chelsea, City, Spurs and provably Arsenal soon too. The last thing they need is to have a midtable level manager to go with that, have the remaining great players at the club leave, and have other great players not want to join the club.

We would want to be a seriously awful position come end the season for him to be sacked.

Think there has been to much of a point made about him been ''Given time'' for it to happen.

Id be very very surprised to see it happen that early weather it should or not.

fair enough - say €10? What time frame you want on the sacking, sacked by (around) what date?

You'd wanna be giving him til say Jan 15 for it to actually happen. Of course your bet would be torn up if United were closer come December 26th. Probably wouldn't take the bet myself

Which IMO is terrible running of the club. David Moyes genuinely has the potential to cause massive damage to the club. United are already running at a disadvantage on transfers to Chelsea, City, Spurs and provably Arsenal soon too. The last thing they need is to have a midtable level manager to go with that, have the remaining great players at the club leave, and have other great players not want to join the club.

Indeed. Two years could see him Souness the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Which world class players could we get in January who are able to play in CL?

Where's Mikey and his lists when you need him

And who do you suggest we get at Christmas ???

• Advertisement

Always fairly impossible to know who will be made available in the January window, upto Moyes to find that out and pick the right targets. Leon Osman may be looking for a move..

And who do you suggest we get at Christmas ???

I answered that already, serious money will have to be splashed out to get someone who wouldn't otherwise have been attainable. Otherwise United would be ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Might not be world class but I think Schneiderlin would be some one I would like to see being bought,he would bring much needed energy to the CM,good on the ball as well.

Honestly, does it matter? It may matter to the players themselves, but I honestly don't think it should be an issue for United.

If we had a chance of getting a top player or two in January, but they'd be CL-tied, we should do it regardless. Firstly I don't think we are anywhere close to be ready to compete for the CL, and secondly the league placing will be so important, and a fight, so we could do with all the additional quality we can get.

Not getting Fabregas, for example, in January because we couldn't play him in the CL would be monumentally stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Honestly, does it matter? It may matter to the players themselves, but I honestly don't think it should be an issue for United.

If we had a chance of getting a top player or two in January, but they'd be CL-tied, we should do it regardless. Firstly I don't think we are anywhere close to be ready to compete for the CL, and secondly the league placing will be so important, and a fight, so we could do with all the additional quality we can get.

Not getting Fabregas, for example, in January because we couldn't play him in the CL would be monumentally stupid.

Good point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So much bollox bring spouted in here.

Moyes is 8 games into the toughest transition in the history of football. It'll come good for him, just wait and see.

Enjoying watching Man U fans throw toys from pram but sadly it won't last for too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

gosplan wrote: »
    So much bollox bring spouted in here.

Moyes is 8 games into the toughest transition in the history of football. It'll come good for him, just wait and see.

Enjoying watching Man U fans throw toys from pram but sadly it won't last for too much longer.

Really? I don't think it's even the toughest transition in the history of the club.

I know you think that it's a reaction to how other clubs do things, but I'm not so sure. I do think that a bit of continuity is good unless you're a club that spends half a billion over a few years. It seems that the board and owners feel the same way, hence the six year contract.

I'm still behind Moyes, not because I want to do things differently to the petroclubs. It's that I haven't seen enough to have a definitive opinion. So far, I'm underwhelmed, but 8 games is too few to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't think that's the case at all... if we had to (wanted to) we could match any other club in the world in transfer spending. Manchester United is still probably the most supported team in the world and has been one of the most successful teams in Europe over the past 30 years.

Most players would give their left hand to grace the Old Trafford turf, if the club wanted they could buy anyone they wanted. Players will need to be bought over the next two transfer windows to complete with Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal in particular - we don't have a god given right to win the league every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I suspect if Utd haven't made the top 4 by Xmas next season, Moyes will be given the push by the Glazers. He'll have been through one bedding in season and 3 windows to build his own team. The Glazers are business men after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Fabregas to utd? He wouldn't come in the summer, what makes lads on here think he will come at Xmas. He would be mad to leave Barca to join Utd

irishfeen wrote: »
    Don't think that's the case at all... if we had to (wanted to) we could match any other club in the world in transfer spending. Manchester United is still probably the most supported team in the world and has been one of the most successful teams in Europe over the past 30 years.

Most players would give their left hand to grace the Old Trafford turf, if the club wanted they could buy anyone they wanted. Players will need to be bought over the next two transfer windows to complete with Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal in particular - we don't have a god given right to win the league every year.

Whilst I don't agree that we could buy anybody we wanted, there's enough money in the club to compete for the top players. It wasn't money that stopped us from signing Ozil, for example.

I wouldn't fret over signing Fabregas, mate. Not gonna happen.

Fabregas to utd? He wouldn't come in the summer, what makes lads on here think he will come at Xmas. He would be mad to leave Barca to join Utd

Read the post again. He's used as an example of an excellent player that we would be mad to pass on due to being unable to play in the CL, not somebody that is likely to join us. Passing on cup-tied players was what the post was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Whilst I don't agree that we could buy anybody we wanted, there's enough money in the club to compete for the top players. It wasn't money that stopped us from signing Ozil, for example.
    The amount of players we could not potentially buy could be counted in one hand - I think we will see the clubs transfer record being broken quiet a few times over the next few transfer windows. Ferguson always said the funds were there and he had the option to buy anyone - if that was the case then I think Moyes will make a few marquee signings - firstly to improve areas of the team and secondly to bring back the fear that no one is guaranteed their place under his regime.

• Advertisement

I know you think that it's a reaction to how other clubs do things, but I'm not so sure. I do think that a bit of continuity is good unless you're a club that spends half a billion over a few years. It seems that the board and owners feel the same way, hence the six year contract.

I'm still behind Moyes, not because I want to do things differently to the petroclubs. It's that I haven't seen enough to have a definitive opinion. So far, I'm underwhelmed, but 8 games is too few to judge.

I'll admit that my opinions were formed on Moyes, long before he got the United job, and I completely agree about continuity, but at the same time, a great manager who will stick around for 2 years, is better than an average one who will stay for 10

irishfeen wrote: »

City and Chelsea have mammoth financial backing. Arsenal and Tottenham have the London thing and are both very well run clubs who are well able to spend the cash. If they were to finish in the Top 4, and United didn't, then United would be in extreme danger of going down the Liverpool route.

Thats a lot of the problem Rayne. At this stage I wouldnt be worried about being able to play in this seasons CL. The big problem will be getting world class players from the continent to come to us. Its hard to see us getting players from Bayern, Dortmund, Juve, Real, Barca, PSG . Outside of there you are looking at players with potential who may take time to fulfill it. I think Veron was the last big player we signed from the continent. That leaves us with the PL players and I cannot see any of them selling us their prized assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Seems that you can't embedded a youtube video starting from a certain point in a video, but for anyone that missed it.....spend 30 seconds listening to the man himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Dvw2HhVyc#t=3m04s
    I'd also like to remind you that we've had bad times here.....

The club stood by me.

All my staff stood by me.

The players stood by me.

So your job now is to stand by our new manager.

That is important.

Yet, here we are, 8 games into the PL season..... we're not Chelsea, so the manager isn't going away any time soon. Deal with it and get behind United.

Firstly, IMO he would have come in the summer.

Secondly, it was quite clearly an example to illustrate a point rather than a suggestion it will happen.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Seems that you can't embedded a youtube video starting from a certain point in a video, but for anyone that missed it.....spend 30 seconds listening to the man himself.

Yet, here we are, 8 games into the PL season..... we're not Chelsea, so the manager isn't going away any time soon. Deal with it and get behind United.

Seriously, fed up with this line already.

What Ferguson said would not justify sticking with the manager if he is clearly the wrong guy.

Maybe, hopefully, MOyes will turn things around - I do think he is a very good manager.

However, that doesn't preclude him, or the club, from justified criticism and questioning.

Firstly, IMO he would have come in the summer.

But he didn't.

But he didn't.

See, you can prove anything with facts.

quality input.

I didn't sign for United in the summer either, does that also mean I would have rejected a move to them? Same with all but 1 player in the entirety of football. Is your argument that there is only 1 player in all of football that was willing to sign for us in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2468891-18DD625900000578-168_634x482.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

v3ttel wrote: »

It's gas tbh. Everyone was prepared to stand by him for what, 4 games, 6 games?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement