Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

quality input.

I didn't sign for United in the summer either, does that also mean I would have rejected a move to them? Same with all but 1 player in the entirety of football. Is your argument that there is only 1 player in all of football that was willing to sign for us in the summer?

According to the media, Utd vigorously pursued him, and he didn't want to join.

Why would you leave Barcelona for Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

According to some media.

According to other media United never reached the price that Barcelona would have sold at (40million) and so Fabregas was never actually given a choice to make. You can't say he didn't want to join because quite simply United never had a bid accepted that would have given him the option.

Money, game time, playing in your prefered position as the key man in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

quality input.

I didn't sign for United in the summer either, does that also mean I would have rejected a move to them? Same with all but 1 player in the entirety of football. Is your argument that there is only 1 player in all of football that was willing to sign for us in the summer?

Can't say everyobe bar 1 wanted to either though.

And in fairness to the other poster Fab turned Utd down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why would you leave Madrid for Arsenal? **** happens.

Anyone know what day the Alex Ferguson autobiography will go on sale in Easons?

It says on Amazon its released on the 24th but in the paper today it says it goes on sale Tuesday.

**EDIT** Goes on sale on the 24th.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Can't say everyobe bar 1 wanted to either though.

And in fairness to the other poster Fab turned Utd down.

No, he didn't.

United never had a bid accepted, so Fabregas never had a chance to turn United down. That is the reality of the situation.

RasTa wrote: »
    Why would you leave Madrid for Arsenal?.

You know why.

You know why.

Because he wasnt considered a key player by Madrid and they accepted a bid for him?

Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Stand by our new manager."

Nice soundbite and all but if he takes a team that were champions last season and ends up outside the top 4 with them, he doesn't deserve to be stood by.

ANyway - I've said my bit on Fabregas, now and previously. It is an irrelevant topic at this time, so I will leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Because he wasnt considered a key player by Madrid and they accepted a bid for him?

Hmmmm.

It was a surprise to all of us, but Madrid wanted to sell.

You have no point here. Fabregas did not want to leave Barcelona. If he expressed the wish to leave, he may have gotten his wish. But obviously he wasn't interested in Utd. Could you blame him?

Accept it. He doesn't want Moyes Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Stand by our new manager."

Nice soundbite and all but if he takes a team that were champions last season and ends up outside the top 4 with them, he doesn't deserve to be stood by.

100% spot on. he needs to earn this support, not this fanboy nonsense that we keep having shoved down our throats.

those who continue to spot s*it about something that happened or didnt happen 30 years ago or mention chelsea are borderline trolling at this stage - its completely irrelevant to our current state of disrepair..

people seem to keep forgetting that Ferguson was a proven manager who'd won league and european honors, who took over a club that had not won a league in 20 years and was in a mess. United i believe were 21st in the league when he took over, twenty f*cking first.

United went from losing 14 games in 86-87 and 21st to 2nd in the league the following year, only losing 5 games and finishing 8 points clear of 3rd. its clear that Ferguson immediately made an impact so was going nowhere. he then cleared out the booze culture and set up the youth structure, he needed to build and rebuild and then some. it couldnt be any further from the current set up....

ferguson was given time because he earned it himself and he was going nowhere - 2 clowns holding up signs in Old Trafford have for some reason given way to a myth that he was going to be sacked - he wasnt and it wasnt even close as the club was evolving into something big.

some people need to have a look at Uniteds history properly and stop reading what is written in the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

CSF wrote: »
    United can't afford to wait until the end of the season, a season without Champions League could do unthinkable damage. If things haven't measurably improved by Christmas, United need to pull the plug. It is unacceptable for United not to be in the top 4 or at least hot on the heels of it.

I'm one of Moyes' biggest hater here but he needs a year at least. I would give him 2 seasons.

The stand by Moyes thing is over used im sure Fergie didnt see us doing this bad! Probably meant if we finished 3rd or 4th which may not happen now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'm one of Moyes' biggest hater here but he needs a year at least. I would give him 2 seasons.

If he finishes outside the top 4 this year he should hit the high road, it really isn't excusable. Anyway long way to go in the season. If he does end up in the top 4 I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given more time.

nuxxx wrote: »
    If he finishes outside the top 4 this year he should hit the high road, it really isn't excusable. Anyway long way to go in the season. If he does end up in the top 4 I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given more time.

Agreed forgot to mention that.

Off topic anybody see Fergies face when Southampton scored.....scary:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If he had to go I can envisage a convenient arrangement where he resigns for "personal reasons". SAF then comes in as "caretaker"

The Board must have a contingency plan & Moyes must have minimum targets in his job description.

considering you were one of the vocals who slammed those who had "meltdowns" all summer about the tranfser window, its certainly surprising to see you change your view now and call it dismal!

why the change of mind?

If making about 4 posts over the summer labels me one of the vocals then so be it. Anyway to answer your question, I kept the faith for the most of the summer because I love football for the football, in choosing not to slam down the club before a ball was kicked I focused on the positives; the fact that we were champions and that I was happy with the appointment of Moyes along with the names we were being linked with in the transfer market. I really did believe that the club would pull a few rabbits out of the hat before deadline day, and not just the one sporting an afro, who by the way I am delighted to see in a United Shirt.

The last 2-3 days of the transfer window then brought home the reality that this current squad, plus possibly Fellaini, would be it until perhaps January. I choose to look at the positives in the team as well as not lose sight of the negatives - both of which I alluded to in the post you've quoted from.

So mainly Homer it was the last week or so of the transfer window where I started to feel tense about our business, and a few weeks later after seeing us play some league games that I decided, not changed my mind, that the summer was dismal.

There is a bit of a difference between appealing for a bit of calm and patience during something that is ongoing which is what I did, and then telling everyone that everything is rosy and driving like a well oiled machine which is what you seemed to think the posters automatically believed who didn't agree with your thinking that the club was becoming 'farcical' and 'an embarassment'.

I had belief in our summer business until almost the end, and it didn't pay off. Call it innocence, naivety or the fact that I don't sit in the Strettie End when I visit Old Trafford. One or all of these could perhaps be the reason I still have belief in Moyes and his ability to come right at Manchester United. But I suppose if that belief doesn't come to fruition, you'll remind me when/if that time comes.

P.S. Thanks for previously not interacting with any of my input in this forum in the 18 or so months I've been here and now choosing 2 words (which weren't even that relevant to the overall post in question) from the 1000 or so I wrote to try once again to do the 'I told you so/assert your superiority' thing that has been all too prevalent, for me, in your posting as of late. Even the language you used in the few sentences above is as if you are shouting down from some place on high.

stankratz: Hey Baby, I just got Homered on Boards! Wanna go out?
    Baby: Did he get the 1-2 obligatory thanks?
    stankratz: Eh...no, not yet.
    Baby: Ok, you can have some drinks, kissing and light petting...no sex though.
    stankratz: *grabs coat and keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Fergie but he's gone.

His career as a manager is over. I don't like the way the Glazers needed him to hold their hands to select David Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I do feel sorry for Moyes in terms of having Saf at the club. I would of prefer not to have Saf there still. It cant be easy to have someone of the stature of Saf in the background and being asked in nearly interview about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Most people aren't even calling for Moyes to be sacked, just stating valid criticisms of his performance so far. But it seems we aren't allowed to criticise the club and any attempt to do so will be met by the "Fergie said support the new manager" line trotted out again and again.

Newsflash folks, perhaps if Fergie had reacted to his Barcalona spankings by perhaps buying a proper midfielder or two Moyes wouldn't be struggling so badly now, and the fact is that if United continue to struggle so badly it won't matter a **** that Fergie wants people to support the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I love Fergie but he's gone.

His career as a manager is over. I don't like the way the Glazers needed him to hold their hands to select David Moyes.

No way I wanted the Glazers to appoint a manager without his guidance. Just because he hasn't chosen who you would have it doesn't mean that they were wrong to consult him.

Also, there's no harm in having him in the stands. People are looking into things to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Newsflash folks, perhaps if Fergie had reacted to his Barcalona spankings by perhaps buying a proper midfielder or two Moyes wouldn't be struggling so badly now

The Utd midfield is the worst part of Fergies legacy. He is one of the greatest managers of all time but it still baffles me how he let that midfield stagnate so badly while stocking the team so well in other areas.

Also, the main reason we won the league last year was the performances of RVP and Carrick.

Carrick had the season of his life last year and we were all worried about what would happen if he got injured or lost his form. We're now seeing what the team is like with an off form Carrick and RVP, and its bloody scary how poor we look.

Fellaini hasn't hit the ground running either which is a bit disappointing but he will eventually come good IMO.

In general the players are looking a bit unsure of themselves and there is an air of panic and nervousness when the team is being pressed.

Moyes has to take a large portion of the blame for the start to this season. He failed to get in decent signings in the summer, Kagawa is rotting on the bench when the team is crying out for a player with his skill set and his substitutions have been extremely poor so far.

Januzaj, Nani, DDG and Rooney have been our only positives this season.

Lets hope Moyes can get the rest of the squad up to speed very soon because if current form continues up to Xmas then we could be in real danger of missing out on CL.

stankratz wrote: »
    P.S. Thanks for previously not interacting with any of my input in this forum in the 18 or so months I've been here

:confused::confused: i can honestly say, i seen not one interesting post from you in 18 months, so how could i interact with you? i only took notice of you when you started to have a problem with my views on how the club was run.

and i dont know why you need a big long winded post to what was a simple question but anyway, thats your choice.

loved the irony of the thanks whoring though reference though. judging by who your aiming for, looks like youve been accepted into the little jerk circle....kudos.

you can tell your missus about that too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Evra is in more hot water with the FFF apparently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24604591

Calling pundits tramps. And some people thought Noel King was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Handbags.jpg

Everywhere

red one would match my jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

We're all on the same side here right? Or am I wrong in assuming that we all have at the very least a soft spot for Manchester United?

If so why the hell is there so much sniping and general foul behaviour/attitude shown to other people? For somebody who isn't on "either" side of the sniping and is just interested in the club he/she supports it's downright depressing that people can't debate or interact without sniping or trashing arguments. We wouldn't talk to each other like this in person would we?

There are many days that I skim through the thread missing the actual useful and interesting information because people are being petty. Generally somebody "thanks" a post if they agree with what has been said. I just think politeness goes a long way. Are there issues with the club right now? yes. Are people feeling narked? yes. Should we as fellow supporters take it out on each other or just certain individuals? no. I dream of a day when I can read this thread (which is as much mine as anyone else's even if I only post a couple of times a month) and there is civility and proper debate and we share thoughts, ideas and news without personal agendas. (That sounds a bit fancy but it's the best way of expressing how I feel.)

If this is considered to be "back seat modding" or "thanks whoring" then I apologise but I want to be part of something that isn't constant bickering and I'll disappear for another month or so of my own accord if that's the case. I just feel it should be raised.

Apparently, Quinton Fortune has said that the two most skillful players in training at United currently are Kagawa and.....................Bebe.

assume he seen this himself or has been told by current players.

Apparently, Quinton Fortune has said that the two most skillful players in training at United currently are Kagawa and.....................Bebe.

assume he seen this himself or has been told by current players.

wouldn't find it overly surprising - remember reading Bebe was a street footballer - which is generally going to mean high level of skills. Those skills don't translate much to actual football though. Sure look at those freestyle football fellas. Some of the stull they can do is simply stunning, but they aren't pro footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I wish all the bitching would stop here tbh sick of reading it at this stage its just plainly pathetic

Ferguson has dropped from 66/1 to 6/1 to manager United this season.

Ferguson has dropped from 66/1 to 6/1 to manager United this season.

More of a chance of me managing utd

Headshot wrote: »
    More of a chance of me managing utd

i reckon you'd have us at least on 16 points by now, had you got the job in May ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I wish all the bitching would stop here tbh sick of reading it at this stage its just plainly pathetic

Good luck with that :).

If we win on Wednesday you might get lucky!

I used to get sick of certain debating on here but fact is most of whats been said about Moyes and our current state is true some just want to stick to there original opinions and wont change until they have no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

cock wallop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Trilla wrote: »
    cock wallop

After reading some of the stuff posted lately, what a pleasant surprise this is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

We're all on the same side here right? Or am I wrong in assuming that we all have at the very least a soft spot for Manchester United?

If so why the hell is there so much sniping and general foul behaviour/attitude shown to other people? For somebody who isn't on "either" side of the sniping and is just interested in the club he/she supports it's downright depressing that people can't debate or interact without sniping or trashing arguments. We wouldn't talk to each other like this in person would we?

There are many days that I skim through the thread missing the actual useful and interesting information because people are being petty. Generally somebody "thanks" a post if they agree with what has been said. I just think politeness goes a long way. Are there issues with the club right now? yes. Are people feeling narked? yes. Should we as fellow supporters take it out on each other or just certain individuals? no. I dream of a day when I can read this thread (which is as much mine as anyone else's even if I only post a couple of times a month) and there is civility and proper debate and we share thoughts, ideas and news without personal agendas. (That sounds a bit fancy but it's the best way of expressing how I feel.)

If this is considered to be "back seat modding" or "thanks whoring" then I apologise but I want to be part of something that isn't constant bickering and I'll disappear for another month or so of my own accord if that's the case. I just feel it should be raised.

Haha :-) u know what thread your posting in ya? Actually scrap that you know what site your posting on...... Theres so many egos floating around this place even if they agree with each other it doesn't end there.

I think sometimes on here its best to just take what u think works best for u from here and accept unless u appeal to the masses or have 1,000,000 posts your opinion aint gonna have any merit.

So today the new excuses are its fergies fault for not buying CMs and fergie get out of the stands :pac: love it, night all we'll continue this madness tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

So today the new excuses are its fergies fault for not buying CMs and fergie get out of the stands :pac: love it, night all we'll continue this madness tomorrow :)

I hope I wake up and Fergie is still at the helm steering us to another title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Most people aren't even calling for Moyes to be sacked, just stating valid criticisms of his performance so far. But it seems we aren't allowed to criticise the club and any attempt to do so will be met by the "Fergie said support the new manager" line trotted out again and again.

Newsflash folks, perhaps if Fergie had reacted to his Barcalona spankings by perhaps buying a proper midfielder or two Moyes wouldn't be struggling so badly now, and the fact is that if United continue to struggle so badly it won't matter a **** that Fergie wants people to support the manager.
    Fairly sure not one person has said it's not ok to criticise so not sure where that comment comes from. It's different people criticising him and using it as the basis for their agenda that he should have never been hired. That's par with calling for him to be sacked. He's had one transfer window and has attempted to fill what I thought before the season was the team's only real weakness. I still think Fellaini will turn out to be a fine signing. I'm insanely annoyed that he hasn't been playing Kagawa but apart from that I'm very happy with his work so far with regards personnel.

I honestly can't really tell what the problem is. The players should be doing better. Until I get definitive proof that it is Moyes that the problem lies with and not weaknesses in the squad that were papered over last season then I'm not going to plunge the knife in. It was never going to be an easy job and it was made much tougher with the terrible early fixtures. So I'm willing to wait and see. Some people clearly aren't. Fair enough if it's justified but a lot of it (please don't read as all) is coming off as people being spoiled and not being able to comprehend that transition is inevitable when the biggest change the club has faced in decades has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Why everybody expect United to win everything every year. Look at all clubs that have not won the single trophy in the past few years such as Arsenal. I joined United at 1963, there were no TV at that time. There were few trophy won between 1964 -1986 and i was satified , but from 1986-2013 in Fergie era was unbelievable. Was lucky to live in those great times. Fergie is one off, the best in the century if not in the Whole history. There will be people(Gloryhunters) jumping off the wagon to another in few years but i dont . I still have beautiful memories to treasure. Thank you Fergie and United. United we stand, Moyes we are behind you. Glory Glory Man United.

Why everybody expect United to win everything every year. Look at all clubs that have not won the single trophy in the past few years such as Arsenal. I joined United at 1963, there were no TV at that time. There were few trophy won between 1964 -1986 and i was satified , but from 1986-2013 in Fergie era was unbelievable. Was lucky to live in those great times. Fergie is one off, the best in the century if not in the Whole history. There will be people(Gloryhunters) jumping off the wagon to another in few years but i dont . I still have beautiful memories to treasure. Thank you Fergie and United. United we stand, Moyes we were behind you. Glory Glory Man United.

I dont think any posters here are glory hunters tbh prob a few 10 year olds who might jump but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I dont think any posters here are glory hunters tbh prob a few 10 year olds who might jump but thats it.
    Agreed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

fair enough - say €10? What time frame you want on the sacking, sacked by (around) what date?

If they are 7 points off fourth on January 3rd he'll be gone that morning! Hows that sound?

talk of Lucas Moura heading back to Sao Paulo on loan according to Sky, so looks like we may havev dodged a bullet there with him.

of course, impossible to tell how he would have settled into United, but for €40million, i think it was a risk we were right not to take.

Anybody at the game on Sat? What was the re-action at fulltime?

bullvine wrote: »
    If they are 7 points off fourth on January 3rd he'll be gone that morning! Hows that sound?

Grand. Bet made.

Grand. Bet made.

Cheers! Hopefully we'll be sitting comfortably in 3rd place come January!

bullvine wrote: »
    Cheers! Hopefully we'll be sitting comfortably in 3rd place come January!

CL qualification to the last 16 alone will keep him in the job. i dont expect Moyes to be sacked at all, i think things will improve but i think at this stage, we wont win the title.

Moyes will get the full season at least, baring a total collapse and another 13 points dropped in the next 8 games.

getting to the 1/4 final of europe, winning league cup and finishing 4th would be a decent season now, as the way things are going we look hopeless and clueless.

getting to the 1/4 final of europe, winning league cup and finishing 4th would be a decent season now, as the way things are going we look hopeless and clueless.

I would have taken that before the start of the season. (Well, third place at least)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement