Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Just watched the MOTD highlights of the Southampton game, thought we played very well at times, some good play on the left with Januzaj and Evra. We hit the crossbar twice, and Boruc made some fantastic saves for them.

Southampton had only conceded 2 goals before Saturday, and we could've had 4. We're coming back into form, playing some good football at times, but just a lack on concentration from a soft corner cost us. From what I saw, DDG had 2 saves to make.

The subs were OK, Smalling for Rooney was to see off the aerial threat that was coming. Giggs for Nani was not needed, but I can understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Evra has hinted at leaving: http://www.givemesport.com/392710-patrice-evra-set-for-manchester-united-exit
    When asked whether he was concerned about his contract expiring, Evra replied in an interview with Telefoot: "No, not at all. It's personal. It's not Manchester (United) that don't want me to sign a new contract. This whole thing is personal.

"Manchester United's dream is that I finish my career there, but this is something personal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Macca07 wrote: »
    Giggs for Nani was not needed, but I can understand it.

Ball retention? Better cover for the fullback?

I didn't catch the game so did he play on the flank or CM?

Trilla wrote: »
    Possibly... then this would lead to the question that if he's that good why haven't 20-35m bids come in for him? I know the transfer market is not as simple as that but there's silly money out there at the moment and surely clubs of a similar high standard to the 3 you mention above would have come in for him with a massive bid?

You raise a good point though, he'd prob start for Spurs and Arsenal 80-90% of the time if they played 2 up top consistently. Maybe a little less for Chelsea.

Don't think he would get in the Arsenal first team, or Spurs anymore. I think he'd be perfect for Chelsea, but that would only last until Roman goes off and buys a world-class CF, which will happen next summer.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player, and his attitude, but I think he's a world-class CF. Most teams play with just one CF now, he can't do that. He's a goal poacher, and would be fantastic next to Rooney or RvP, but would you drop either for him to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote: »

Evra departing can hardly be a surprise given how Moyes went after Baines and Coentrao over the summer..

So who's next for LB???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Just watched the MOTD highlights of the Southampton game, thought we played very well at times, some good play on the left with Januzaj and Evra. We hit the crossbar twice, and Boruc made some fantastic saves for them.

Southampton had only conceded 2 goals before Saturday, and we could've had 4. We're coming back into form, playing some good football at times, but just a lack on concentration from a soft corner cost us. From what I saw, DDG had 2 saves to make.

The subs were OK, Smalling for Rooney was to see off the aerial threat that was coming. Giggs for Nani was not needed, but I can understand it.

we were out played for large spells of the game, southampton dominated possession and had 18 shots on target, to our 12.

lets not forget, we are the champions, were playing at home and playing a team who were in the championship not so long ago...

think about it.

zerks wrote: »

I believe he'll be off back to Monaco in the summer. Lots of talk that it was going to happen last summer, but never materialised.

Ball retention? Better cover for the fullback?

I didn't catch the game so did he play on the flank or CM?

Only saw the highlights but he came on for Nani, so I presume he went to the left, and when Fellaini went off, he switched to the middle.

Ball retention and experience would be the obvious thoughts alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Only saw the highlights but he came on for Nani, so I presume he went to the left, and when Fellaini went off, he switched to the middle.

IMO, Giggs and ball retention don't really go in the same sentence any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

He actually played on the right for a few mins, it was baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Don't think he would get in the Arsenal first team, or Spurs anymore. I think he'd be perfect for Chelsea, but that would only last until Roman goes off and buys a world-class CF, which will happen next summer.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player, and his attitude, but I think he's a world-class CF. Most teams play with just one CF now, he can't do that. He's a goal poacher, and would be fantastic next to Rooney or RvP, but would you drop either for him to start?

Come off it wouldn't get into the Arsenal team all they have is Giroud and he is inferior to Hernandez. Plus Spurs while Soldado is a fine player he has been poor so far for Spurs i think Hernandez would be a better fit. On Chelsea yes he would be perfect and god knows what goes on with them their best striker by a distance is on loan.

His best form came from Christmas on during the 10/11 season i think when we got to the Champions league final. During this time he was playing up top with Rooney just in behind and they were brilliant. That partnership is the best we have had at the club in a long time. Plus now his link up play has improved. I don;t think we will ever see it but Kagawa behind him could be a very good partnership. With Kagawa's vision and Chico's pace they could work great together. Oh and no i wouldn't drop Rooney or RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Possibly... then this would lead to the question that if he's that good why haven't 20-35m bids come in for him? I know the transfer market is not as simple as that but there's silly money out there at the moment and surely clubs of a similar high standard to the 3 you mention above would have come in for him with a massive bid?

You raise a good point though, he'd prob start for Spurs and Arsenal 80-90% of the time if they played 2 up top consistently. Maybe a little less for Chelsea.

He wouldnt start for Arsenal and probably not Spurs or Chelsea. He cant play up front on his own and thats a big weakness the way most teams line up these days.

Hes a great finisher and has fantastic movement but he needs someone to play off imo. Great option off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hernandez is so overrated.

we were out played for large spells of the game, southampton dominated possession and had 18 shots on target, to our 12.

lets not forget, we are the champions, were playing at home and playing a team who were in the championship not so long ago...

think about it.

Couldn't really see it from the highlights that we were outplayed. Haven't seen the full 90 minutes. Yes they had more chances, 18-12, 7 of their 18 chances came from outside the box. As I said, DDG had 2, maybe 3 saves to make. Shots on target were 5-7 in favour of them.

Yes, we are champions, playing at home, but do you remember our home game against team last season, we won 2-1, and were totally outplayed. Here are the stats from that game.

Southampton are a very good side, play well as a team under Pochettino, and will be in the top half of the table this season, possibly higher. That will depend on Lambert and Osvaldo scoring goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

When Giggs first came on he played from the right which was odd, it all went a bit loco then positionally after that with lots of switches.
    Personally I wouldn't have brought him on but I can see what the idea was.

Actually, if we are going to talk positives we were pretty solid looking defensively save for the scrappy goal. DDG wasn't tested at all. Osvaldos chance was coughed up by miscontrol from Rooney, an individual error.

We were though pretty poor once we managed to break down their attacks. When the centre halves or Fellaini or Carrick got possession options were limited for them and Southamptons hunting and pressing is very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

keane2097 wrote: »

Surely he's underrated if he can't get a game.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Come off it wouldn't get into the Arsenal team all they have is Giroud and he is inferior to Hernandez. Plus Spurs while Soldado is a fine player he has been poor so far for Spurs i think Hernandez would be a better fit. On Chelsea yes he would be perfect and god knows what goes on with them their best striker by a distance is on loan.

I don't think he'd get into the Arsenal team as I don't think he would suit their style of play. Also, he wouldn't be able to lead the line like Giroud does.

He wouldn't get into the Spurs team ahead of Soldado either.
    Oh and no i wouldn't drop Rooney or RVP.

You said it all with that last line. I love Chico, but not ahead of Rooney or RvP.

If we had of scored a second it would be a very different story. First half was probably the best we've played.
    Problem was the 2nd half, we didn't get the 2nd goal and Moyes' changes were a huge problem. He needed to push on but he made far too many changes in the middle and the team suffered. We had no shape and players didn't know where they were playing. Kagawa for Rooney or Rvp should have been the change, keep possession in their half and nick a 2nd. Instead he resorted to bring on an extra CB for a forward. It was another bad mistake from him.
    Make no mistake Southampton are one of the better sides in the league, they'll be playing European football if they continue the way they have for the last number of years. They're just outside the top sides and in form so I was very happy that we kept them quiet and we were very comfortable at times. We just lacked the killer goal but that is very worrying. This is what Utd have been the best at for years. Killing off the smaller clubs and racking up the points. We just don't drop points against teams outside the top 6 but this season...

Finally, I'd be afraid to say that in here first but I'll happily back it up. He's fine for what he is but he's so vastly over rated by Utd fans its scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You said it all with that last line. I love Chico, but not ahead of Rooney or RvP.

How did i say it all with my last line. Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea have nobody as good as RVP or Rooney. I never said he should be starting for United i said he would score heaps of goals from Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

s.welstead wrote: »
    If we had of scored a second it would be a very different story. First half was probably the best we've played.
    Problem was the 2nd half, we didn't get the 2nd goal and Moyes' changes were a huge problem. He needed to push on but he made far too many changes in the middle and the team suffered. We had no shape and players didn't know where they were playing. Kagawa for Rooney or Rvp should have been the change, keep possession in their half and nick a 2nd. Instead he resorted to bring on an extra CB for a forward. It was another bad mistake from him.
    Make no mistake Southampton are one of the better sides in the league, they'll be playing European football if they continue the way they have for the last number of years. They're just outside the top sides and in form so I was very happy that we kept them quiet and we were very comfortable at times. We just lacked the killer goal but that is very worrying. This is what Utd have been the best at for years. Killing off the smaller clubs and racking up the points. We just don't drop points against teams outside the top 6 but this season...

TBF, Smalling for Rooney was the 87th minute... The worry is the killer instinct, we're just lacking it at the moment. I think Rio will find it very hard to get back into the team, just need to find the right partner for Vidic now.

My starting 11 when everyone is fully fit would be

DDG
    ----Raf----Evans----Vidic----Evra----
    Carrick----Fellaini
    ----Nani
    Kagawa

Rooney
    RvP

Let Kagawa have a free role in the middle and let Evra play as a wing back rather than a full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't blame him for not knowing his best 11, it's only 8 games into the league, and we have a massive squad. It's not always as simple as to who is playing best, or who has the best talent. Form dips, players pick up knocks, and you always have to take into consideration the team you're playing against.

Most United fans though can see that certain players should not be played and that others should be.
    What form has Young or Giggs to be getting games, Moyes seems sick of Young's diving, but why Giggs is still getting games ahead of others I don't know.
    I think someone like Jesse Lingard who was sent out on loan would do a better job and Zaha should be getting game time. These players along with Januzaj were the players who excited those who saw the preseason games in Asia and Australia.

There are players who got more than their chance and others who have got very little to no chance to show what they can do.

With the whole Paul Pogba thing of the past, it probably helped Januzaj get his chance and he took it with both feet.

I don't think Giggs has much to offer the team now, hopefully his last season and if played, then only when we have a good lead in a game but even that would be taking up playing time of others who have a future...

How did i say it all with my last line. Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea have nobody as good as RVP or Rooney. I never said he should be starting for United i said he would score heaps of goals from Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

And he doesn't play for Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. He's a United player, saying he'd score a heap of goals for any of those teams is pointless. We have no proof of that.

My opinion is that he wouldn't make the starting 11 for Spurs or Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thats debatable. Mata, Ozil and Oscar are far better players than Rooney in the creative hole where we are playing him in a lot of games. However Rooney would be a better striker than Torres, Eto or Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Is anyone else disappointed with rooney and van persie as a partnership. When rvp was bought i thought we would be seeing a great pairing like cole and yorke. But they don't seem to click together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeah they are brilliant individually, but don't seem to have much chemistry. Particularly this season. But then you could say that about most of the team at the moment.

Is anyone else disappointed with rooney and van persie as a partnership. When rvp was bought i thought we would be seeing a great pairing like cole and yorke. But they don't seem to click together

considering the crap service they get, i dont blame them at all. they are really really isolated and the players feeding them, are way off form.

they scored what, 46 goals last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

considering the crap service they get, i dont blame them at all. they are really really isolated and the players feeding them, are way off form.

they scored what, 46 goals last season?

They are both great players and able to get goals but they don't seem to have the near telepathic understanding that great partnerships have

Robson99 wrote: »
    Thats debatable. Mata, Ozil and Oscar are far better players than Rooney in the creative hole where we are playing him in a lot of games. However Rooney would be a better striker than Torres, Eto or Giroud.

I think we've been in agreement wrt Rooney and what the team needs. Do you think he is sent out to play as a conventional striker as he is or do you think he is being asked to drop into that 'Ozil/Mata/Oscar Role' and is just not doing it because he won't/can't?

I really hope Moyes isn't pandering to Rooney to get him signed up for a new contract. I hope we don't persist with 4-4-2, especially with 2 sitting Midfield players like we have in Carrick and Fellaini.

Keno wrote: »
    Surely he's underrated if he can't get a game.

He's rated unbelievably highly by people here on boards. He's a good finisher which makes him a good bench option at United because they usually create a lot of chances so if you put him on for 20 minutes when you need a goal he'll often come up trumps and finish one of the couple of chances that will fall to him.

In a team that's not functioning well in the chance creation department he would be no help. People are correct in saying his play outside the box has improved but it's still average.

Someone said earlier that they'd have Benteke maybe ahead of him, that's daft IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If we lost Rooney or RVP, i'd like to see Benteke as a replacement.

Someone said earlier that they'd have Benteke maybe ahead of him, that's daft IMO.

I agree, I think he's overrated but I went gunho with stating I could name 10 better strikers than him in the premiership...I'm struggling a little

Suarez
    Aguero
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Michu
    Lukaku
    Benteke
    Dzeko
    Negredo

Lambert ??
    Sturridge ??
    Torres ??
    Welbeck ??
    Soldado ??
    Ba ??
    Cisse ??
    Berbatov ??
    Eto'o ??
    Remy ??
    Bony ??
    Defoe ??
    Giroud ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hernandez is so overrated mainstream.

fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think we've been in agreement wrt Rooney and what the team needs. Do you think he is sent out to play as a conventional striker as he is or do you think he is being asked to drop into that 'Ozil/Mata/Oscar Role' and is just not doing it because he won't/can't?

I really hope Moyes isn't pandering to Rooney to get him signed up for a new contract. I hope we don't persist with 4-4-2, especially with 2 sitting Midfield players like we have in Carrick and Fellaini.

Ericzeking I think he is being told to play deeper. He [imo] is most of the time between Rvp and the midfield. The problem is that he hasnt got the technique or the close control of those players or Kawaga from what we have seen of him. For me Rooneys best position is as a no9 or beside RVP in a 442. However 442 is a thing of the past and to play it you need top quality middle of the park players and wide players. This we dont have

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    fyp.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

think about it.

Southampton did press us very well from the get go. It took us about 15 mins to properly get into the game but once we did we were on top until the break and should have killed the game off. Rooney's shot off the bar could have made life much easier. The second half was an even contest.

Pochettino has his team playing very well. Even last season Fergie struggled at home against him and Southampton deserved a point from that game. Fergie said it was the best team performance at OT that season. In the early away fixture we were again lucky to get three points from them.

Southampton will give a lot of teams a tough time this season. The defend well, play a high defensive line very very well and are very organised. There league position is justified based on the football they are playing, what was it, only two goals let in before Saturday? This should all be noted when judging the outcome on Saturday.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Ericzeking I think he is being told to play deeper. He [imo] is most of the time between Rvp and the midfield. The problem is that he hasnt got the technique or the close control of those players or Kawaga from what we have seen of him. For me Rooneys best position is as a no9 or beside RVP in a 442. However 442 is a thing of the past and to play it you need top quality middle of the park players and wide players. This we dont have

Wholeheartedly agree.
    I think his mentality too is that of a 9 as you say, to drive towards goal whereas say an Ozil (or hopefully a Kagawa) would play an clever little pass or one-two or would just provide an outlet for us to keep the ball.

In time Januzaj is just going to be sensational in the 10 role, I'm really looking forward to watching him develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

de gea

smalling/rio---vidic----evans/jones

valencia----fellaini---carrick
    evra

kagawa

rooney----rvp

how about 3-5-2
    evra and valencia wing backs
    have enough in midfield and 3 centre halves
    also get kag, roo and rvp in their favoured positions

only downside is there is no hope of playin nani as a wing back as there is no way in hell he'd track back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I agree, I think he's overrated but I went gunho with stating I could name 10 better strikers than him in the premiership...I'm struggling a little

Suarez
    Aguero
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Michu
    Lukaku
    Benteke
    Dzeko
    Negredo

Lambert ??
    Sturridge ??
    Torres ??
    Welbeck ??
    Soldado ??
    Ba ??
    Cisse ??
    Berbatov ??
    Eto'o ??
    Remy ??
    Bony ??
    Defoe ??
    Giroud ??

Giroud, Sturridge for definite anyway. The rest are all questionable but I would have Soldado and Eto'o ahead of him aswell and wouldnt put very much between Hernandez and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

de gea

smalling/rio---vidic----evans/jones

valencia----fellaini---carrick
    evra

kagawa

rooney----rvp

how about 3-5-2
    evra and valencia wing backs
    have enough in midfield and 3 centre halves
    also get kag, roo and rvp in their favoured positions

only downside is there is no hope of playin nani as a wing back as there is no way in hell he'd track back

I reckon we will see this formation approximately never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

I reckon we will see this formation approximately never.

i agree:P

If we lost Rooney or RVP, i'd like to see Benteke as a replacement.

Futuresex lovesound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Futuresex lovesound!

Confused smiley. Are you asking me out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It wasnt me that said it but...

Whats daft ?

Benteke

Apps. Goals Apps
    2012–13 34 19
    2013–14 5 4

Chicharito

2012–13 22 10
    2013–14 2 0

Confused smiley. Are you asking me out?

I think I got braped by someone in work here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

listermint wrote: »

Whats daft ?

Benteke

Apps. Goals Apps
    2012–13 34 19
    2013–14 5 4

Chicharito

2012–13 22 10
    2013–14 2 0
    I think he meant that in the sense that Benteke was well ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think he meant that in the sense that Benteke was well ahead of him.

I see, wasnt very clear

'maybe' was that it ?

Anyone heading to the game Saturday? It'll be my first game in 2 years, nearly to the day I think. Planning on heading to the Bishops Blaize before hand, what time does it start filling up these days?

Anyone heading to the game Saturday? It'll be my first game in 2 years, nearly to the day I think. Planning on heading to the Bishops Blaize before hand, what time does it start filling up these days?

id expect it to be filling up about 12.00 and full by 12.45 for what ever the early game is, normally.

we stay clear of it though nowadays, its a pete boyle love fest and he is only after your money! if you love a sing song, then its ideal, but in terms of being able to get a drink quickly and be able to talk to the lads about the game, have a bit of craic, its a place to avoid.

we generally only go in there, after the games. Mulligans in town is where we normally go now, or any of the cheap pubs around that general area and head out then close to kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

listermint wrote: »

Whats daft ?

Benteke

Apps. Goals Apps
    2012–13 34 19
    2013–14 5 4

Chicharito

2012–13 22 10
    2013–14 2 0