Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Its depressing thinking about some of the bargain priced midfielders we missed out on for past 3 or so years.. dembele, vdv, schneijder the list goes on... kinda glad herrera didnt happen just a panic buy imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so, how do we reckon we are going to line out tomorrow?

De Gea
    Rafael---Jones--Evans--Evra
    Carrick---Fellaini
    Nani
    Januzaj
    Rooney-RVP

Don't see there being any changes to the side to be honest - would like to see Chico and Kagawa get starts, but I don't see it happening.

Anderson played 60mins last night, and Cleverley didn't take part in training today so have to think Carrick and Fellaini will start again. Rio and Vidic didn't train today either so have to think it will be 2 from Evans, Jones, Smalling - and could see us going with the same pairing as at the weekend if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

listermint wrote: »
    Are those stats real ? I though Agbonlahor would have been on that ?

Linkage

http://www.skysports.com/whoisthefastest/index.html

That Nike test you posted in the link is from a good few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lol...
    Journalists from up and down the country are in London at the launch of former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson's new autobiography.

Daily Telegraph football correspondent Henry Winter: Must be a Ferguson book launch - Press has just been kicked out. Now waiting on the pavement outside publishers

"revelations" due in 20 minutes....i just hope there is nothing in there about our current players, notable Rooney.

lol...

"revelations" due in 20 minutes....i just hope there is nothing in there about our current players, notable Rooney.

United cleared the book prior to launch, and only requested a factual change regarding Ronaldo, apparently.

Fergie is still on the payroll at OT, so i'm very interested to see how much he goes in to ongoing issues.

• Advertisement

Moyes has just been asked at the press conference now if the book will affect players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have to feel sorry for Moyes, putting up with all this crap

Headshot wrote: »

It is a lot of rubbish to be fair. Even the questioning on Evra is needless and irrelevant.

he has brought alot of this on himself. if United werent getting tanked by City and dropping points to average teams, the questions would be completely different.

he has made a mess of it so far and for that, he only has himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

niallo24 wrote: »
    Bar Jovetic who I reckon will be coming good shortly City's other 3 have been more prolific than Uniteds forwards.

When, this season? That shouldn't be how you compare the quality of the two sets of forwards, for obvious reasons.
    listermint wrote: »
    Are those stats real ? I though Agbonlahor would have been on that ?

They're probably real, but whatever, or however, it is that they measure doesn't give a real indication of the players' ability to use pace to get past the opposition on the pitch. Hence Rooney being rated as faster than Robben. I remember one of these things a few years ago that rated Park as the second fastest player at the world cup, that was similar lolz.

• Advertisement

he has brought alot of this on himself. if United werent getting tanked by City and dropping points to average teams, the questions would be completely different.

he has made a mess of it so far and for that, he only has himself to blame.

Oh he has been awful alright but having all this book stuff in the background has to be an awful pain. I would of preferred a different manager of course but any manager would surely suffer with saf in the background. I would liked saf to stay clear of utd for a number of seasons and launch his book any other time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ferguson on Rooney "He is a slow learner & struggles to stay fit"
    lol

some more bits -
    Rooney told Ferguson in 2010 to sign Mesut Ozil. Ferguson: "My reply was that it was none of his business who we should have gone for."
    People who won't like Ferguson's book: David Beckham, Roy Keane, Rafa Benitez, Van Nistelrooy.
    Wayne Rooney might feel he got off lightly
    Sir Alex also says he was offered England job twice before Kevin Keegan and Sven Goran Eriksson were appointed #SSN

going off the first part, Fergies stubbornness seems to be a trait Moyes also has when it comes to signing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Pro. F wrote: »
    When, this season? That shouldn't be how you compare the quality of the two sets of forwards, for obvious reasons.

They're probably real, but whatever, or however, it is that they measure doesn't give a real indication of the players' ability to use pace to get past the opposition on the pitch. Hence Rooney being rated as faster than Robben. I remember one of these things a few years ago that rated Park as the second fastest player at the world cup, that was similar lolz.

Ok in that case from what I have seen of Jovetic before this season I would say City have the better 4 strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

NUTZZ wrote: »
    That Nike test you posted in the link is from a good few years ago.

Perhaps But he was faster than lennon then, so that particular graphic doesnt make sense. Has he ground to a slow hobble all of a sudden ?

i mentioned this a few weeks back - this is a big one IMO, RVP would not have signed for United if he knew Moyes would be the manager.
    ir Alex had to apologise to RVP when he retired because he had previously assured him he would not leave

others -
    Van Nistelrooy called Ferguson a c*** during the 2006 League Cup final
    Beckham thought he was bigger than the manager,so had to leave.
    (on Keane): "I told him 'What you did in that interview was a disgrace, a joke."

Ok in that case from what I have seen of Jovetic before this season I would say City have the better 4 strikers.

Jovetic is class all right, but overall I'd rate the two sets equal myself I think.

RvP > Negrado
    Rooney = Aguero
    Chico = Dzeko
    Welbeck < Jovetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Leftist wrote: »
    you want proof for something that is expected?

don't answer that.

If you were watching united's policy during the summer transfer window you would have got the joke. F**k me.

Tell me Lefty, what is to be expected? You think Woodward is a complete idiot. Woodward is at the club since 2007, we've Brynlee Scary Peanut our commercial revenue at the club since he joined.

He's gone into a new role, with a new manager. Maybe it was Moyes who f**ked up our transfers, maybe it was the Glazers, maybe it was Woodward. But as you don't have any inside knowledge of how the club works, you can't be sure. I asked you for proof after your smart-*ss comment about Woodward, and you post another generic comment.

Jog on mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jovetic, while being a good player, is nowhere near prolific enough, his record in Italy wasnt great at all, something like 30 goals in 150 games.

If he can add consistent goal scoring to his game he'll improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i mentioned this a few weeks back - this is a big one IMO, RVP would not have signed for United if he knew Moyes would be the manager.

Typical homerjay, where exactly does it say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Jovetic is a hell of lot more prolific than Welbeck.

Typical homerjay, where exactly does it say that?

i never said it did, i said IMO. typical Magicmarker, making up s*it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

RVP would not have signed for United if he knew Moyes would be the manager.

I thank you for the updates however you've put your usual spin on the above there....

Moyes specifically was it, or any manager other than Ferguson?

Nothing wrong with it if SAF had to apologize for retiring having promised RVP he would be there for a few more seasons, but the way you've said it and lets say if it was reported that way in the press would be extremely detrimental to the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Question for the Moyes I want sacked, the give Moyes a year and the give Moyes all the time he needs brigades...so yeh everyone, if he got sacked tomorrow do you think any other big clubs would offer him a job and if not what clubs would.

I got no answers last night prob because it was late but ill requote myself anyway :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i never said it did, i said IMO. typical Magicmarker, making up s*it.

You said "this is a big one imo", THEN you went on to state as fact that RvP wouldn't have signed if he knew Moyes would be manager. So, once again, could you please highlight where it says that?

I got no answers last night prob because it was late but ill requote myself anyway :D

Given he's a British manager and there are no vacancies at any 'top' British clubs, I doubt he'd be offered anything.

It's not a great question to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

queue a petty grammar \ opinion war

. So, once again, could you please highlight where it says that?

once again, i will spell it out for you, i never said it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ericzeking wrote: »
    Given he's a British manager and there are no vacancies at any 'top' British clubs, I doubt he'd be offered anything.

It's not a great question to be fair.

Fair enough how about we change it to would he be offered the Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Spurs job if they where available.

Christ so many posters on here have to be so feckin difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Magicmarker and Homerjay- Not happening guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

xtal191 wrote: »
    Jovetic is a hell of lot more prolific than Welbeck.

I'd have Jovetic over Welbeck everyday of the week anyway thats for sure but Jovetic isnt particulary prolific.

I assume once hes 100% he'll slot into one of the wide roles at City anyway and he wont be played through the middle like Negredo or Dzeko.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mod Post: Not happening guys.

lol you must be watching this thread like a hawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

New flag!

1378374_540378826055035_1591138621_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

lol you must be watching this thread like a hawk

Thank god for that.

Fair enough how about we change it to would he be offered the Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Spurs job if they where available.

No, imo.

As far as I know Chelsea turned him down after RDM.
    Spurs turned him down after Redknap I believe.
    Liverpool wouldn't go for him due to Everton connection, at least.
    City wouldn't go for him due to United connection, at least. Think they turned him down previously too.
    Nothing to say Arsenal wouldn't go for him, but my assumption is they would not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jovetic is class all right, but overall I'd rate the two sets equal myself I think.

RvP > Negrado
    Rooney = Aguero
    Chico = Dzeko
    Welbeck < Jovetic

Augero is a better player than Rooney IMO. He is on a par with RVP and will only get better.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be difficult.

So if he got sacked at United now or in the near future that would be detrimental to his reputation, I think he would be then looking at dropping down a level to build himself up again, a bit like AVB did when he got shunted from Chelsea although obviously Tottenham isn't much of a drop these days but then there probably was a decent gap.

However, a chairman might also look at it and say, "sacked after 8 games...jeez the guy got no chance at all" and give another go.

Augero is a better player than Rooney IMO. He is on a par with RVP and will only get better.

Whatever about the future, up to this season Aguero hasn't been any more impressive than Rooney in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The City v United strikeforce comparison is a good one, but you have to look at the cost...

RvP - £22.5 million
    Rooney - £25.6 million
    Chico - £8 million
    Welbeck - youth team

City strikeforce

Negredo - £16.4 million
    Aguero - £35 million
    Dzeko - £27 million
    Jovetic - £22 million

United's cost just over £56 million, City's was just over £100 million. Not including wages.

Now do you think that City's strikeforce is twice as good as United's... I thought not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Macca07 wrote: »
    The City v United strikeforce comparison is a good one, but you have to look at the cost...

RvP - £22.5 million
    Rooney - £25.6 million
    Chico - £8 million
    Welbeck - youth team

City strikeforce

Negredo - £16.4 million
    Aguero - £35 million
    Dzeko - £27 million
    Jovetic - £22 million

United's cost just over £56 million, City's was just over £100 million. Not including wages.

Now do you think that City's strikeforce is twice as good as United's... I thought not.

i see your point but it is quite funny for an outsider seeing a United fan (assuming you are) using player costs like this..

RvP - £22.5 million
    Rooney - £25.6 million
    Chico - £8 million
    Welbeck - youth team

City strikeforce

Negredo - £16.4 million
    Aguero - £35 million
    Dzeko - £27 million
    Jovetic - £22 million

City definitely don't get value for money, but the original point was about which is the better squad. I'd say they're about even, ahead of Chelsea.

ronjo wrote: »
    i see your point but it is quite funny for an outsider seeing a United fan (assuming you are) using player costs like this..

how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

how so?

I am an Arsenal fan and have seen United break the transfer record on more than one occasion which is absolutely fine but I would never hear a fan expecting say Rooney to be 7 times better than RVP when he was at Arsenal due to difference in costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Tell me Lefty, what is to be expected? You think Woodward is a complete idiot. Woodward is at the club since 2007, we've Brynlee Scary Peanut our commercial revenue at the club since he joined.

He's gone into a new role, with a new manager. Maybe it was Moyes who f**ked up our transfers, maybe it was the Glazers, maybe it was Woodward. But as you don't have any inside knowledge of how the club works, you can't be sure. I asked you for proof after your smart-*ss comment about Woodward, and you post another generic comment.

Jog on mate.

don't even know where to start with this. Cringeworthy from top to bottom.

sticking up for ed woodward ffs :D

ronjo wrote: »
    I am an Arsenal fan and have seen United break the transfer record on more than one occasion which is absolutely fine but I would never hear a fan expecting say Rooney to be 7 times better than RVP when he was at Arsenal due to difference in costs.

No, that would be just silly. Comparing Rooney to RvP when both were bought is ridiculous.

I compared 2 teams that finished top 2 in the league over the last 2 seasons. City bought 2 of their 4 strikers this summer, the other 2 the summer before that.

United bought RvP summer before last, Welbeck broke into the first team the season before that, and Chico was bought that summer as well. Rooney's cost was due to age, think his value is around the same now.

When Arsenal bought RvP as a 21 year old unknown, but his value rose considerably over the years. Rooney's value was so high due to him being English and the next big thing.

Leftist wrote: »
    don't even know where to start with this. Cringeworthy from top to bottom.

sticking up for ed woodward ffs :D

Sticking up for my club

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Vidic...

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney22m
    Many of the more interesting parts of the book are the little insights. And things like: 'Vidic wanted to enlist for the Kosovo conflict'

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney16m
    "Vidic was a dour, uncompromising sod. He was a proud Serb. In 2009, he came to see me to say he might be getting called up..."

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney15m
    'What do you mean, called up?' I said, alarmed. 'Kosovo. I am going,' he said. 'It's my duty.' He had the eyes for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Sticking up for my club

:D

by sticking up for an accountant who has got the chief exec gig and has so far hardly shown any reason for confidence.

Are you familiar with how the support viewed previous chief execs? Do you think the support was 'sticking up' for Kenyon, Capable hands or Toilet Sniffer?

Trying too hard to be a super red.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jog on mate.

Save your breath mate. There are a few posters in this thread who are still sore over the transfer window and will use it as an excuse to spin stories to make Woodward and Moyes look incompetent.

We make an enquiry about Thiago and learn that he has committed to Bayern and told Pep so before the U21'S tournament, well this must mean Moyes doesn't rate him.

We don't bid for Ozil, we have two players who can play in his position and he is not a signing in a vital area, this must mean Moyes doesn't rate him and god knows who else.

They and their logic is in the minority thankfully. Moyes and Woodward didn't do amazing and I expected more but it was their first attempt at it, lets see how they progress going forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement