Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

When is the book on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Irish94 wrote: »
    When is the book on sale in Ireland?

Thursday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Vidic...

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney22m
    Many of the more interesting parts of the book are the little insights. And things like: 'Vidic wanted to enlist for the Kosovo conflict'

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney16m
    "Vidic was a dour, uncompromising sod. He was a proud Serb. In 2009, he came to see me to say he might be getting called up..."

Miguel Delaney‏@MiguelDelaney15m
    'What do you mean, called up?' I said, alarmed. 'Kosovo. I am going,' he said. 'It's my duty.' He had the eyes for it."

Lost a bit of respect for Vidic so. Hopefully Adnan Januzaj doesn't hold grudges!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Macca07 wrote: »
    No, that would be just silly. Comparing Rooney to RvP when both were bought is ridiculous.

I compared 2 teams that finished top 2 in the league over the last 2 seasons. City bought 2 of their 4 strikers this summer, the other 2 the summer before that.

United bought RvP summer before last, Welbeck broke into the first team the season before that, and Chico was bought that summer as well. Rooney's cost was due to age, think his value is around the same now.

When Arsenal bought RvP as a 21 year old unknown, but his value rose considerably over the years. Rooney's value was so high due to him being English and the next big thing.

Ok how about Henry v Van Nistelrooy.

We should have expected RVN to be twice as good as Henry?

My point is that your argument now is something that could have been thrown at United for 20 years before Chelsea started outspending you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ronjo wrote: »
    My point is that your argument now is something that could have been thrown at United for 20 years before Chelsea started outspending you.
    It was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

More from the book.

Ronaldo forced to stay an extra year to spite Roman Calderon

'Bootgate' was the final nail for Beckham.

Keane called Ferguson out in front of United's players, which led to his departure.

Ferguson regarded Queiroz as his natural successor

On Dalgish and Liverpool:
    "For Liverpool to return to the level of us and Manchester City was clearly going to require huge investment. Anfield has not moved on, Even the dressing rooms are the same as 20 years ago. My reading of their squad was that they needed eight players to come up to title-winning standard."Few of the signings made in Kenny's time haunted me at night. Stewart Downing cost £20million. He had talent but was not the bravest or quickest. £20million?"

On Rooney:
    “In my final year, when he was left out a few times, and replaced in games, I felt he was struggling to get by people and had lost some of his old thrust. But he was capable of making extraordinary contributions. That pass to Van Persie in the win that secured the title for us was marvellous, as was his overhead kick against Man City. Those flashes guaranteed his profile. But as time wore on, I felt he struggled more and more to do it for 90 minutes, and he seemed to tire in games.”
    Ferguson repeats that Rooney “asked away” and that Paul Stretford, his agent, conveyed the same message to David Gill, but the story appears almost to be cut short, with the former manager saying that “I left him to discuss his future with David Moyes, hoping to see many more great performances from him at Old Trafford.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sport/article3901231.ece

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fcreviews/id/46?cc=3436

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Save your breath mate. There are a few posters in this thread who are still sore over the transfer window and will use it as an excuse to spin stories to make Woodward and Moyes look incompetent.

We make an enquiry about Thiago and learn that he has committed to Bayern and told Pep so before the U21'S tournament, well this must mean Moyes doesn't rate him.

We don't bid for Ozil, we have two players who can play in his position and he is not a signing in a vital area, this must mean Moyes doesn't rate him and god knows who else.

They and their logic is in the minority thankfully. Moyes and Woodward didn't do amazing and I expected more but it was their first attempt at it, lets see how they progress going forward.

I think I will after his last comment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Heading to the book launch in Dublin on November 8th, you get a signed copy on the night as part of the ticket fee......... the problem is all the best bits of the book are going to be all over the media and any United thread/forums for the next few weeks.

Ok how about Henry v Van Nistelrooy.

We should have expected RVN to be twice as good as Henry?

When both players were bought, Ruud was twice as good as Henry. It took a couple of seasons for him to get up to that standard (BTW, Henry was one of the best strikers ever to play in the EPL).

And as it has been said already, that argument was thrown at United for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone know how much the book will cost?

It was.
    When both players were bought, Ruud was twice as good as Henry. It took a couple of seasons for him to get up to that standard (BTW, Henry was one of the best strikers ever to play in the EPL).

And as it has been said already, that argument was thrown at United for many years.

And thats my point.
    Does anyone other than MACCA07 think Man City strikers should be twice as good and Man Utd strikers because they cost twice as much???
    Its complete nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Does anyone know how much the book will cost?

25quid but most shops offering discounts

And thats my point.
    Does anyone other than MACCA07 think Man City strikers should be twice as good and Man Utd strikers because they cost twice as much???
    Its complete nonsense

My main point wasn't if they City strikeforce is twice as good, but that when comparing both strikeforces, the cost has to come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And thats my point.
    Its complete nonsense

What are you talking about? He's not saying that at all. He's just pointing out that City got poor value for money compared to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Devil08 wrote: »
    25quid but most shops offering discounts

I pre-ordered it for the Kindle Fire just there. Cost £11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Mars Bar wrote: »

18euro on ibooks, paperback seems most expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I think there are so many other factors other than ability that dictate cost that it's probably not a fair barometer....e.g. age, length of contract remaining, wealth of buying club, desperation of selling club, nationality etc etc

Like if RVP was 2 years younger with another year on his contract with the exact same ability he would have cost us twice as much.

Welbeck cost us nothing but without wishing to get into a debate we would get 15m plus for him if we were to sell.

The City v United strikeforce comparison is a good one, but you have to look at the cost...

RvP - £22.5 million
    Rooney - £25.6 million
    Chico - £8 million
    Welbeck - youth team

City strikeforce

Negredo - £16.4 million
    Aguero - £35 million
    Dzeko - £27 million
    Jovetic - £22 million

United's cost just over £56 million, City's was just over £100 million. Not including wages.

Now do you think that City's strikeforce is twice as good as United's... I thought not.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    What are you talking about? He's not saying that at all. He's just pointing out that City got poor value for money compared to United.

Ahem...

It was probably just a throwaway comments alright but..

Ahem...

It was, my main point is that you have to take price into consideration when comparing strikeforces.

It was, my main point is that you have to take price into consideration when comparing strikeforces.

Ok fair enough.

I am sure I did it for years myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Fergie on Cristiano Ronaldo
    "One night I was watching a movie, White Fang, the Jack London book about going down to Klondike in search of gold. That's what it must be like for a scout," he writes.
    "You're standing watching a game on a Saturday morning and you see a George Best, a Ryan Giggs or a Bobby Charlton. That's what I felt that day in Lisbon. A revelation. That was the biggest surge of excitement, of anticipation, I experienced in football management."

On Roberto Mancini
    Ferguson criticises his decision to keep forward Carlos Tevez on the books after the Argentine refused to come off the bench in the club's Champions League game at Bayern Munich.
    "Taking him back showed desperation," Ferguson writes. "In terms of his prestige as a manager, he let himself down."

on LFC and the Anfield club's support for Luis Suarez after he was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra

"Liverpool wore those T-shirts supporting Suarez, which I thought was a ridiculous thing for a club of Liverpool's stature. I felt we handled it well, mainly because we knew we were in the right.
    "The FA asked us several times not to discuss it, but Liverpool would not leave the subject alone. David Gill would not have allowed any manager to handle it in that way."

On Pizzagate

"My recollection of that fabled incident is that when Ruud van Nistelrooy came into the dressing room, he complained that Arsene Wenger had been giving him stick as he left the pitch. Right away I rushed out to say to Arsene: 'You leave my players alone.' He was incensed at losing the game. That was the reason for his combative behaviour.
    "The next thing I knew I had pizza all over me. They say it was Cesc Fabregas who threw the pizza at me but, to this day, I have no idea who the culprit was.
    "That day created a division between us. The wound was not fully healed until the Champions League semi-final in 2009, when Arsene invited us into his room after the game and congratulated us."
    The question which remains on everybody's lips: Was it a margherita Sir Alex?

Ahem...

City's strike force not being remotely near twice as good as United's when they cost twice as much shows that City got poor value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

City's strike force not being remotely near twice as good as United's when they cost twice as much shows that City got poor value for money.

It doesn't at all really.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It doesn't at all really.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How so?

Why doesn't it show that City got value for money but United got an incredibly good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

was CR7 just pranked?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Why doesn't it show that City got value for money but United got an incredibly good deal?

Well, poor value for money compared to United who aren't anything special for getting value for money.

Matt Cooper is quizing Miguel Delaney on The Last Word now about Fergie's book. Apparently in 05-06 at a United training camp in Portugal which was described as 'out of this world', Roy had problems with the air conditioning in the houses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Posted this during Fergie's time (I think), but would Moyes get more benefit in his style form a 3-5-2 allowing full-backs forward more?
    Like say:
    Evans Vidic Smalling
    Rafael.....................Evra
    .......Carrick Cleverley/Fellaini.....
    .........Fellaini/Kagawa......
    .......Rooney RVP.......

It'd allow wingers forward and play two up front at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Rooney told Ferguson in 2010 to sign Mesut Ozil. Ferguson: "My reply was that it was none of his business who we should have gone for."

He takes the players word for Ronaldo and look how he turned out.Maybe he should have listened to Rooney on this occasion

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd signed Rooney in 2003(ish) when it was a different market to today's one, despite the high fee for a teenager, and Welbeck came through the youth system. It's not exactly apples and apples you are comparing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm disappointed in Ferguson. Why he choose to release a book now and speak negatively about players that are still at the club is baffling?

I thought his stance has always been what went on behind closed doors and In the confines of the dressing room was sacrosanct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Danye wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in Ferguson. Why he choose to release a book now and speak negatively about players that are still at the club is baffling?

I thought his stance has always been what went on behind closed doors and In the confines of the dressing room was sacrosanct?

Yeah but... kinda wanna know this stuff too! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Posted this during Fergie's time (I think), but would Moyes get more benefit in his style form a 3-5-2 allowing full-backs forward more?
    Like say:
    Evans Vidic Smalling
    Rafael.....................Evra
    .......Carrick Cleverley/Fellaini.....
    .........Fellaini/Kagawa......
    .......Rooney RVP.......

It'd allow wingers forward and play two up front at the same time

That makes sense, and there a decent parallels with the Liverpool squad: two great strikers and a decent playmaker, with attack-minded full backs. 3 at the back would also help accommodate the deteriorating Vidic or Rio, offering a safety net. The team would face the same problem as Liverpool though; a soft centre and the danger of getting over-run in midfield. Crucially, it also requires that the team takes the game to the opponent; it's not ideal for keeping it tight and playing reactive football.

That summer I was drooling over the links made between Ozil and United and was a bit devastated when he went to Madrid. He was absolutely sublime to watch at the World Cup 2010, just as sublime to watch now in most of his performances so far for Arsenal in the EPL.

Summer 2010 would have been the time to get him in and it would have maybe went some way to merging the gap in quality between us and Barca in the 2011 CL final. This I know is something there is no possible way of knowing, but I do often lament our failure to learn and react to the 2 final losses/schoolings to Barcelona, the 2011 one in particular.

When we lost the EPL to Man City on goal difference, Sir Alex showed a desire for that never to happen again and was vocal about it, resulting in the purchase of who he viewed as the best goalscorer available - RVP. The result obviously paid off trumps.

I just wonder where was that same desire and determination after getting lead around the park in a ball chasing expedition by Barcelona on 2 occasions. Granted that Barcelona team will go down as one of the best in history, but Ferguson and the board point-blank refused to address the midfield along with the post-Ronaldo/superstar loss adequately, if really at all, in those few years.

For me the club are still feeling the effects of those decisions and inaction today. That is why I feel there are things wrong with the squad/club that pre-date the current coaching administration. I realise that one player in Mesuit Ozil would not have majorly changed a team, but he is only one in a line of players we've missed out on in the last few years who would have added that touch of class to our attacking possession and link-up play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Danye wrote: »

Well if nothing else it's taken the heat off Moyes for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

jameshayes wrote: »
    was CR7 just pranked?

Seems genuine enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah but... kinda wanna know this stuff too! :o

He could of released it in a few years. It's not as if he's stuck for money and needs to get it sold to pay the mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mars Bar wrote: »

I did the same.Any idea what time it will be sent to us at ?

Hardback is £11.25 on amazon.preorder it now and it would arrive by friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

BXLQ9DUIcAAsq1u.jpg:large

Could make an excellent meme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Keno wrote: »
    RVP & Moyes  Could make an excellent meme.

Please no...

... Can't take anymore Moyes memes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Sacramento wrote: »
    Please no...

... Can't take anymore Moyes memes...
    too bad

CAU2BOq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

image.png

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

How does Klopp keep doing it after losing players every season. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nolars wrote: »
    How does Klopp keep doing it after losing players every season. Unreal.

Because he replaces what he's lost, simple concept really. United have been bad at that the past few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Because he replaces what he's lost, simple concept really. United have been bad at that the past few seasons.

In theory it is easy in practice not so. And yea Utd are terrible at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wouldn't surprise me if next summer Klopp gets back what he lost in a certain Mr Kagawa

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement