Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Robson99 wrote: »
    The above muck doesnt even deserve a comment.

Another reason this whole situation is laughable, Utd fans are becoming like Liverpool fans - totally blinkered. Won't be long now until all success at Man Utd will be a memory. Comical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Motivator wrote: »
    Another reason this whole situation is laughable, Utd fans are becoming like Liverpool fans - totally blinkered. Won't be long now until all success at Man Utd will be a memory. Comical!

Good try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Some fans have been waiting for this to happen for years evidently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What always perplexes me with Hargreaves is his signing in the first place tbh. He had chronic injury issues at Bayern yet we were still prepared to stump up the cash for him, noone could say they were surprised when he started getting injuries at United and that it was injury that ended his career.

Don't get me wrong, I recognise how important he was for winning some of those trophies we did but I'm surprised we got as much out of him as we did all the same given his history coming to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Some fans have been waiting for this to happen for years evidently.

United supporters? doubt it. Oldest insult in the book among united support. That and spoilt.

No united supporter wants the club to do poorly. But some who speak their minds about what they don't like at the club are told they somehow like what's happening just so they can 'moan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Fergie sometimes had an inability to act quickly when key players were out of the team for a long period of time. He should have acted when Keane did his Cruciate(Emerson had been linked as a replacement), likewise when Rio got suspended(Southgate was linked) and with Hargreaves(could have easily got Parker in). These players would have done a good job for us a stop gap, but Fergie chose to trust what he had already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Besides, as already pointed out, there has been nothing said so far that we didn't already know, not a single thing.
    I had never heard the Vidic story about wanting to join the Serbian army.

Ferguson writes:
    Vidic was a dour, uncompromising sod. He was a proud Serb. In 2009, he came to see me to say he might be getting called up…
    ‘What do you mean, called up?’ I said, alarmed. ‘Kosovo. I am going,’ he said. ‘It’s my duty.’ He had the eyes for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

What is the big deal with this book? Fergie is right to release a book sort of a testimonial for him. there is no right or wrong time to release the book.

He is giving his side to a few stories in relation to United and his personal interests, big deal! he has every right to. His decisions to sell Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and co..didn't turn out too bad for the club. He loves United, we won't see the likes of him as a manager ever again his loyalty..if he is a little bitter towards some players so what it is probably part of the recipe that makes him the manager he was. He is very thoughtful of us fans giving us a few anecdotes to read about Benitez and others who have tried..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus I wouldnt want to meet vidic on the front line anyway. I'd be a goner

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »

Ferguson writes:
    Vidic was a dour, uncompromising sod. He was a proud Serb. In 2009, he came to see me to say he might be getting called up…
    ‘What do you mean, called up?’ I said, alarmed. ‘Kosovo. I am going,’ he said. ‘It’s my duty.’ He had the eyes for it.

We didn't know that but we can all imagine Vidic rocking up to Fergies office in a full army outfit with guns and ammo ready for combat

You know Fergie is a BOSS when he can stop a guy like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When you see how a club like United and a manager like Ferguson behave when it comes to players I can't believe anyone still complains about players trying to get the most they can for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So reading back on a few pages of the obvious revelations from the SAF book.

The one that makes me chorkle is Rooney saying we should buy Ozil after the international event.

Anyone with half a footballing brain knew he would be sought after property, and maybe those with astute memory loss forget, we were in for him, when he decided to join Real.
    I distinctly remember that his father claimed United were front runners, but that his son always wanted to play for Real Madrid.

Something made of nothing, Rooney was told to mind his own business and rightly so. The club were already following Ozil before the tournament even began.

Similar to the Ronaldo story, everyone "thinks" the story is the players said to sign him after a Sporting Lisbon game, when thats been numerous times told as false. Yes the players said sign him up, but the club were tracking Ronaldo for sometime, and negotiations were already underway.
    An interview by Ferguson during a documentary on Ronaldo indicated there was some teething over a final figure, but when he saw him play against United for Sporting, he felt he found a diamond, and informed Gill to give them what they want.

Looking forward to getting the book, but as usual, media have most likely spoilt it, revealing all the good stuff already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

TheDoc wrote: »
    So reading back on a few pages of the obvious revelations from the SAF book.

The one that makes me chorkle is Rooney saying we should buy Ozil after the international event.

Anyone with half a footballing brain knew he would be sought after property, and maybe those with astute memory loss forget, we were in for him, when he decided to join Real.
    I distinctly remember that his father claimed United were front runners, but that his son always wanted to play for Real Madrid.

Something made of nothing, Rooney was told to mind his own business and rightly so. The club were already following Ozil before the tournament even began.
    That's not what Ferguson said yesterday. He said that Ozil was never on their radar as they weren't looking for a number 10. He had just bought Chico and the plan was to play two up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

keane2097 wrote: »
    When you see how a club like United and a manager like Ferguson behave when it comes to players I can't believe anyone still complains about players trying to get the most they can for themselves.

In fairness the players United deal with are multi millionaires, I wouldn't be too worried about them getting the most for themselves, they have plenty. In fact it's a breath of fresh air to see them kept in line rather than the carry on you see in the press from idiots who for the most part have played for other clubs.

Player power is a bad thing in my opinion.

On a similar train of thought, isn't it ironic how much of a dictator type character Fergie was given his union ties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I miss the transfer window. I could come in here, see what rumors were floating around, ignore the fighting and leave. Now, mid-season, this thread offers nothing but fighting. It saddens me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Considering how ruthless he was with some players that were at least top class - it perplexes me that our midfield issue got to where it is - with so much time and chances given to Anderson and Hargreaves in particular.

I think the fact that he fvcked up so many times trying to fix the CM eventually started to paralyse his decision making a bit. Nothing overly dramatic, just Fergie finding it easier to stick with what he had and try to coach the solution rather than going back to the market and getting burned again.

I also genuinely think that judging central midfield players is the area of the game that he has the weakest understanding of. A flaw that's no surprise in a Brittish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hope Chico starts tonight.
    I don't think he'll play Fellaini, there's been one too many poor performances to warrant a start, maybe that opens it for Kag & Carrick? That would be nice, in that you wouldn't have our two CM's playing in eachothers pocket!
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    I miss the transfer window. I could come in here, see what rumors were floating around, ignore the fighting and leave. Now, mid-season, this thread offers nothing but fighting. It saddens me.

Only frequent here now & again, but I'd agree. You don't see Mod Warnings on the front door of many other team threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ericzeking wrote: »
    In fairness the players United deal with are multi millionaires, I wouldn't be too worried about them getting the most for themselves, they have plenty. In fact it's a breath of fresh air to see them kept in line rather than the carry on you see in the press from idiots who for the most part have played for other clubs.

Player power is a bad thing in my opinion.

On a similar train of thought, isn't it ironic how much of a dictator type character Fergie was given his union ties?

Kept in line is fine and good and ought to be done. But just flick back through the vitriol being fired at Rooney during the summer about how he was nothing but a mercenary and should have more loyalty to the club. He should in his bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd love to see Kagawa behind either Hernandez or Rooney tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What are the chances that kagawa might start tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jamesbere wrote: »

IMO....Slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i expect him to start...and i expect something along these lines.

DDG

Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Nani Fellani Carrick Kagawa
    Rooney RVP.

A good chance of him starting and about a 90% chance of him being taken off and replaced by Giggs if he does start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kagawa will start imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

More chances of a defender being brought on when its 0-0 in the 89th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

i expect him to start...and i expect something along these lines.

DDG

Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Nani Fellani Carrick Kagawa
    Rooney RVP.

If I saw that side tonight I would be happy, Fellani needs to step up as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is Janjuaz in the squad for the match tonight or the under 19 game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Pighead wrote: »

Ferguson writes:

Good man Fergie, him and Januzaj will get on even better after this :confused:

In saying that, was there even a threat of a re invasion in 2009? I can't recall it.

Kagawa has played 30 games for United...am i right in saying, he has only played the full 90 minutes in 2 or 3 of those?

he always seems to be taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Kagawa has played 30 games for United...am i right in saying, he has only played the full 90 minutes in 2 or 3 of those?

Was there issues with his fitness/ability to finish the 90 initially? I thought I read that somewhere anyways :P Maybe the EPO they use on the mainland is different to whats available in Manchester :pac:

• Advertisement

Your probably not far off and i don't get it, its not like we play like barca who to a man close down opponents when they haven't got the ball, so i cant imagine it being due to tiredness or stamina issues coz those asians could run all day.

Maybe its coz Fergie liked to bring on a defensive player when we are winning in the latter stages and he'd be the obvious one to bring off.

I'd like to see a stat showing what the score was each time hes been taken off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy on today fm in a few mins talking about Fergie for anyone interested.

Dunphy :rolleyes:

His opinion means F all, also depends on the way the wind is blowing. Is he going to cry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

6 times he has completed 90 mins for us . 5 in league and 1 in fa cup .

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/shinji-kagawa/leistungsdaten-vereindetail/spieler_81785_985.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My personal opinion, as a United supporter, is that Ferguson should have ensured that his book would be released in the close season, i.e. next summer. The potential effect on the club and players should be foremost in his mind when completing a biography that will obviously ruffle feathers.

In my opinion, if the season continues as it has started, the club should seriously look at restructuring the football side next summer and bring in a Director of Football that will bring in new thinking to the football side.

Decisions need to be made as to how the team will play in the current years given current players and the way the game is developing worldwide. We should be puitting in development plans with the objective of getting back to the top in 2-3 years, this time with a methodology and a philosophy that could go further than winning premierships. I think we all would agree that it is a different type of player / team that will win Champions Leagues as opposed to Premierships. Ferguson didnt really develop teams that dominated Europe. The two finals that we won could easily have been lost.

Manucho scored at the weekend and i believe Rossi, Tevez and Pogba did also.

ex united players seem to be scoring for fun lately.

for those keeping an eye on Herrara, he was an unused sub in their win against Villareal and that takes them to one point off 4th, which is great going for them.

looks like Herrera however has been frozen out and is not part of their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

can you tell me, what exactly has he said that you didnt already know?

if i asked you yesterday morning what happened between himself and Keane, you could have written it yourself.

same goes for Beckham, RVN and others - we knew all this already.

i was very critical of Ferguson in the past 4 years, mainly due to his lack of action in midfield and our subsequent drop in football quality, but this is something i have no problem with.

Ferguson built a force field around Old Trafford and Carrington, nobody got in who he did not want and nothing got out unless he wanted it to.
    I think that the adulation that he received (rightly so) especially over the last few months when he retired, has gone to his head and made him think he is invincible.
    Whatever fortress he has built over the years, he has managed to possibly destroy with his comments in this book. Yes, it is all stuff that we were aware of, nothing startling, but for him to openly admit it and then comment on it, completely undermines whatever loyalty or omerta he suggested Manchester United football clubs principles were based upon.
    No matter what way you look at it, he appears to be settling scores and that is not befitting of such a legend who built his empire on honesty, loyalty and integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

looks like Herrera however has been frozen out and is not part of their plans.

Seems to happen a lot with our more 'high profile' players that are loaned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Doubts over Rio and Vidic, Cleverley and Wellbeck missed last training session, Januzaj added to squad, Fletcher trained with main group.

Moyes said: "He is now available for the Champions League by the way his date of birth works. He's an exciting young player making good progress all the time and he is someone who is going to play a big part in the future of Manchester United. He's an exceptional talent."

"We are disappointed," said Evans, 25. "We watched part of the Southampton game back and it was clear our performance was not up to scratch, especially in possession, giving the ball away and being quite sloppy.
    "Being Manchester United, we want to control games a bit better than we did against Southampton.
    "As players we know we have not played well enough as individuals and as a team. Looking at ourselves, we want to make sure we raise our level and produce better performances."

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

such a legend who built his empire on honesty, loyalty and integrity.

I thought he built it on success and trophies? :confused:

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »

Leninism-Fergusonism

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

autobiographies, bloody hell

Ferguson built a force field around Old Trafford and Carrington, nobody got in who he did not want and nothing got out unless he wanted it to.
    I think that the adulation that he received (rightly so) especially over the last few months when he retired, has gone to his head and made him think he is invincible.
    Whatever fortress he has built over the years, he has managed to possibly destroy with his comments in this book. Yes, it is all stuff that we were aware of, nothing startling, but for him to openly admit it and then comment on it, completely undermines whatever loyalty or omerta he suggested Manchester United football clubs principles were based upon.
    No matter what way you look at it, he appears to be settling scores and that is not befitting of such a legend who built his empire on honesty, loyalty and integrity.

This isn't his first time publicly having a pop at people associated with Manchester United. Not by a long chalk. In fact he wrote another similar book in 1999.

You have been grossly misinformed about the nature of the empire that Fergie built. In fact pretty much every understanding of his time at United that you express here is the exact opposite of the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Julez wrote: »
    Seems to happen a lot with our more 'high profile' players that are loaned out.

We don't own him! we tried but didn't pay the release clause. Are you thinking of Henriquez?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Whats clear from the book is that Fergie ruled with an Iron fist. Stubborn and grudge bearing. Not the traits to make for a great person or drinking buddy but the right traits for a highly sucessfull and focused manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Whats clear from the book is that Fergie ruled with an Iron fist. Stubborn and grudge bearing. Not the traits to make for a great person or drinking buddy but the right traits for a highly sucessfull and focused manager.

He knew when someones time was up and knew when to move someone from the team. He always maintained when he looked at his squads he imagined them in 2-3 years time, who would be there, who wouldn,t whose form would dip etc.

He said many a time he never held grudges, that he had massive affection for his players, and tha hardest part of his job was saying goodbye to players who won him so much.

Something being completely forgotten know that Keane has had his say.

Ferguson iterated numerous times since retirement when asked, that the hardest part of the job was having to acknowledge when to move on a player, who had served so well, but wouldn't feature in the future.

But it's also why he was so succesfull, because he would actually do it. And that no player got bigger then the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Some people have seriously warped recollections of Alex Ferguson. With all the journalists cowering in fear of him it was nice to see Keane say it how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Why would any of the multi millionaire players stay with united if ferguson was only an iron fisted bully? That might have been one side to him but he kept it balanced. I couldn't imagine the likes of schmeichel, cantona, vidic, and so on letting themselves be bullied. He might have had a few fallings out but how many players played under him in his time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think Fergie made sure no player got bigger than him rather than the club. He is extremely stubborn and will change things around to suit himself at that particular moment.

I think both him and Keane are very similar, strong minded and opinionated and maybe this is why the feud has never been settled. Keane owes a lot to Utd, but Fergie owes a lot to Keane. He was exactly what Fergie needed on the pitch and in the dressing room. The problem is he was never replaced.

I also think Fergie knows that Keane wont forgive and forget as easily as some of the others he has fallen out with and thus has no problem in keeping the wounds open with what he says in the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheDoc wrote: »
    He knew when someones time was up and knew when to move someone from the team. He always maintained when he looked at his squads he imagined them in 2-3 years time, who would be there, who wouldn,t whose form would dip etc.

He said many a time he never held grudges, that he had massive affection for his players, and tha hardest part of his job was saying goodbye to players who won him so much.

Something being completely forgotten know that Keane has had his say.

Ferguson iterated numerous times since retirement when asked, that the hardest part of the job was having to acknowledge when to move on a player, who had served so well, but wouldn't feature in the future.

But it's also why he was so succesfull, because he would actually do it. And that no player got bigger then the club.

But he reserves his entire criticism for the men thats sweat and tears paved the way for his medals and cups.

Does he say anything about the Glaziers in the book, or his reaction to them coming to the club. Surely that should have got a chapter.

Or is it a case of dont harm people who can harm you back. For someone so revered it seems a tad spineless no ?

listermint wrote: »
    But he reserves his entire criticism for the men thats sweat and tears paved the way for his medals and cups.

Does he say anything about the Glaziers in the book, or his reaction to them coming to the club. Surely that should have got a chapter.

Or is it a case of dont harm people who can harm you back. For someone so revered it seems a tad spineless no ?

It's a case of don't harm the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement