Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's a case of don't harm the club.

Exactly, especially as he is still working there. i don't know what else people expected really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'm intrigued to see the Kieran Richardson painting that Fergie had on the wall of his office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Whats clear from the book is that Fergie ruled with an Iron fist. Stubborn and grudge bearing. Not the traits to make for a great person or drinking buddy but the right traits for a highly sucessfull and focused manager.

wow, cant believe i see myself agreeing with one of your posts :p

but its spot on. some people have short memories, suprised how many people are "turning" on him so quickly. he had his failings, but alot of the reaction from lads here is OTT in relation to the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

We don't own him! we tried but didn't pay the release clause. Are you thinking of Henriquez?

Yes, yes I am. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wow, cant believe i see myself agreeing with one of your posts :p

but its spot on. some people have short memories, suprised how many people are "turning" on him so quickly. he had his failings, but alot of the reaction from lads here is OTT in relation to the book.

Also shows their mentality when he was boss.

These were traits he showed a lot during his time as United manager. Most of the time they worked in our favour so were easily forgiven.

But the fact is, nothing in the book is a revelation - it was clear for all to see, and really part of what we loved about him.

He's an oul' ****, but he was/is OUR oul' ****

Julez wrote: »
    Yes, yes I am. :o

Played 7 games for Zaragoza, and scored 4 goals from what I can see. No idea how he is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's a case of don't harm the club.

Is this book not doing that right now ? Bits about Rooney when that situation is all but resolved.

Why release it now ? why not next year or two years ? He doesnt need the money, but its a case of maximum exposure to release it this close to retiring. So its money grabbing realistically.

Im not sure really if harming the club comes into it. He wants his director money and his book money.

The omission of large swades of his recent history speak volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Exactly, especially as he is still working there. i don't know what else people expected really.

For the £2 Million + he is on a year, of course he'll keep his mouth shut. But he's already done the harming of the club with Coolmore, talking about it in a book won't change it I suppose.

Speaking of harming the club, I'd imagine Moyes is thrilled with the timing of this book.

By all means, appreciate the job that he did as manager. Truly brilliant. But lets not pretend that he was a saint. He was the furthest thing from one.

We don't own him! we tried but didn't pay the release clause. Are you thinking of Henriquez?

is he being frozen out? he has 4 PL goals for them already, in 5 games.

For the £2 Million + he is on a year, of course he'll keep his mouth shut. But he's already done the harming of the club with Coolmore, talking about it in a book won't change it I suppose.

Speaking of harming the club, I'd imagine Moyes is thrilled with the timing of this book.

But thats exactly it, you have posters on one hand revering the man for 'not letting one person be bigger than him at the club' and then he spinelessly shrivels away from one of the biggest stories in the clubs history on the other.

Having his cake...

• Advertisement

These were traits he showed a lot during his time as United manager. Most of the time they worked in our favour so were easily forgiven.

But the fact is, nothing in the book is a revelation - it was clear for all to see, and really part of what we loved about him.

Pretty much sums it up!

Here is Henriquez vs Mallorca - two goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPbse1Nsr3Y

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I wonder if SAF mentions the whole Bebe transfer mystery in the book. Baffling that SAF, being an ambassador to the club, comes out with a book like this, at this time in the season :confused:
    Kag to start tonight, play a blinder only to be replaced by Giggs around the 60 minute mark :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jamesbere wrote: »
    What are the chances that kagawa might start tonight.
    Who knows? I can only hope.

If Giggs starts though, I'll crack up.
    RVD420 wrote: »
    I wonder if SAF mentions the whole Bebe transfer mystery in the book. Baffling that SAF, being an ambassador to the club, comes out with a book like this, at this time in the season :confused:
    Kag to start tonight, play a blinder only to be replaced by Giggs around the 60 minute mark :mad:

I seriously doubt it, that transfer reeks of dodgyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Some people have seriously warped recollections of Alex Ferguson. With all the journalists cowering in fear of him it was nice to see Keane say it how it is.

yep, you can always count on roy keane to remain subjective. If there was ever a man who was in a position to talk about loyalty it's good old Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

is he being frozen out? he has 4 PL goals for them already, in 5 games.

No I don't think so, I think I just caused confusion when I mixed them up. Although Hererra has played 7 games out of 9 for Athletico so he doesn't seem to be frozen out either.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Who knows? I can only hope.

If Giggs starts though, I'll crack up.

I seriously doubt it, that transfer reeks of dodgyness.

Pretty much nothing on Bebe, and little on RoG issue (apparently for confidentiality/legal reasons on the latter)

Leftist wrote: »
    yep, you can always count on roy keane to remain subjective. If there was ever a man who was in a position to talk about loyalty it's good old Roy.

I've disagreed plenty with lots that Keane has said in the past. But he was fully correct in what he said last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

listermint wrote: »
    Is this book not doing that right now ? Bits about Rooney when that situation is all but resolved.

Why release it now ? why not next year or two years ? He doesnt need the money, but its a case of maximum exposure to release it this close to retiring. So its money grabbing realistically.

Im not sure really if harming the club comes into it. He wants his director money and his book money.

The omission of large swades of his recent history speak volumes.

From what I've read, the bits about Rooney are extremely mild. I don't see how that could harm the club.

It's true that he isn't going to want to jeopardise his wages from the Glazers. But it's also true that if he slated the Glazers now that would harm the club. Calling Rooney a slow learner or Roy Keane a prick isn't going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

bullvine wrote: »
    I'm intrigued to see the Kieran Richardson painting that Fergie had on the wall of his office.

Probably stuck to a dart board :pac:

From what I've read, the bits about Rooney are extremely mild. I don't see how that could harm the club.

"If you write a letter and ask away or say you have asked away, you lose all your signing-on fees."

Doubt when Rooney is adamant he never asked away, adamant that he wants the club to acknowledge it never happened, now Alex is re-iterating it. This isn't doing anyone any favors.

It's true that he isn't going to want to jeopardise his wages from the Glazers. But it's also true that if he slated the Glazers now that would harm the club. Calling Rooney a slow learner or Roy Keane a prick isn't going to do that.

Well if Rooney is as sensitive as Fergie made out prior to his departure then i disagree. Id imagine any foul comments in the book would jeopardize his performance and thus the clubs performances. Specifically around this current time.

The entire book appears to be 'Me' by alex ferguson with little regard to United current situation. It all seems ill timed and ill conceived. Its release was designed to be within enough time of his departure for people to care.

"If you write a letter and ask away or say you have asked away, you lose all your signing-on fees."

Doubt when Rooney is adamant he never asked away, adamant that he wants the club to acknowledge it never happened, now Alex is re-iterating it. This isn't doing anyone any favors.
    Well if Rooney is as sensitive as Fergie made out prior to his departure then i disagree. Id imagine any foul comments in the book would jeopardize his performance and thus the clubs performances. Specifically around this current time.

The entire book appears to be 'Me' by alex ferguson with little regard to United current situation. It all seems ill timed and ill conceived. Its release was designed to be within enough time of his departure for people to care.

Rooney isn't an emotional simpleton. He managed to get past the public soap opera cluster fúck that happened to him at the end of last season and this summer to play well at the start of this season. Fergie restating the comments he had already made in a book isn't going to pull him off the rails. The pair of you need to climb down off the drama llama.

Rooney isn't an emotional simpleton. He managed to get past the public soap opera cluster fúck that happened to him at the end of last season and this summer to play well at the start of this season. Fergie restating the comments he had already made in a book isn't going to pull him off the rails. The pair of you need to climb down off the drama llama.

So its a grand old time to release this book and not some personal ploy to increase book sales, with little regard for clubs current performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Exactly. My friends are Liverpool or Arsenal fans and they hated him so much. They used to say he was cheating and a bully when he was blasting a fourth official or the ref at half time. When he went after someone in an interview they called him a c*nt.

I told them I could totally understand it, from an outsiders point of view he must have been the most aggressive and hypocritical manager ever but I explained to them that it was quite simple. Fergie would do anything to give UTD the slightest advantage, he would say the most outlandish things and sometimes he would actually believe them because any decision against UTD was wrong. He had tunnel vision when it came to UTD, get on our side or get in the way.

I told them from a UTD fans viewpoint it was brilliant to see. Having this guy fight your corner on the smallest issue and terrify people into going against him or giving a decision the other way was great. We will never know how many pre-match or half time confrontations with the officials scared them into letting small decisions go our way, how many helped the flow of game go in our favor, whether it be taclkes, offsides or penalty appeals. My guess would be hundreds. How many blastings a ref, manager or player got in the press in the days leading up to a match made them angry and not thinking straight come match-day. It was all simply done to give us the upperhand.

The funniest recent one was when City beat us one-nil at the Ethihad to get the advantage in the title race and Fergie had a got at Manchini for being in the refs ear all night. Fergie telling someone off for having a go at the fourth official, bloody priceless. He may have been so blinkered that he actually believed he was justified in his argument.

• Advertisement

So its a grand old time to release this book and not some personal ploy to increase book sales, with little regard for clubs current performances.

Oh I definitely agree that the timing is aimed at maximising his money. But he has released such a relatively mild book (by all accounts) and had it go through to club hierarchy to check they were okay with it first, I just don't see any significant problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Oh I definitely agree that the timing is aimed at maximising his money. But he has released such a relatively mild book (by all accounts) and had it go through to club hierarchy to check they were okay with it first, I just don't see any significant problem with it.

I don't think anyone at the club will be bothered by it either. Relieved actually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What's the thoughts on Real Sociedad? Never really seen them play. How good are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

What's the thoughts on Real Sociedad? Never really seen them play. How good are they?

They have been nowhere near as good as last season (won only 2 of their 9 league games). United should have too much for them tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Released to coincide with the launch of the new singing section tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Their play is similar to Southampton actually, they'll probably have a lot of possession.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I really hope Kagawa and Hernandez start tonight. Rooney hasn't been playing well recently and we need some good link-up play between our midfield and attack, which I feel Kagawa can provide.

de Gea

- Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Evra -

Carrick
    Fellaini

Cleverley

Nani
    Kagawa

Hernandez

I wouldn't mind seeing this.

very hit and miss this year, but had a good win away to Valencia at the weekend. normally id say its a game we would win, but given the fact that our level at the moment is scraping wins against Palace and Sunderland, i would be so sure.

i still think we will win tonight and the next 8 days is the catalyst to finally kick off our season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fairly poor in La Liga, first win at the weekend since the opening day. They've been fairly unlucky in the CL games though, possibly the better side in both games.

Sid Lowe on them:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/23/real-sociedad-champions-league-manchester-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've disagreed plenty with lots that Keane has said in the past. But he was fully correct in what he said last night.

That a man who spent 26 years at one club doesn't know the meaning of loyalty?

I understand the point Keane was making, but the way he phrased it was completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I very much doubt Fergie had any say in the timing of the books release, I'd say that's solely the publishers call. He mentioned yesterday that he'd been working on the book for quite a while and the deal made was that he would turn it over once he officially retired, anything after that would be out of his hands.

Rumours RVP out of tonights game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CHICHARITO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rooney and Wellbeck up front then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwLGedWSiIwXvjRSWsTm5R7-a_WXbDb7YKSqB3YdCqCor5GrstoQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

-Cwv6RTKxns.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

azBhD9l.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Exactly. My friends are Liverpool or Arsenal fans and they hated him so much. They used to say he was cheating and a bully when he was blasting a fourth official or the ref at half time. When he went after someone in an interview they called him a c*nt.

I told them I could totally understand it, from an outsiders point of view he must have been the most aggressive and hypocritical manager ever but I explained to them that it was quite simple. Fergie would do anything to give UTD the slightest advantage, he would say the most outlandish things and sometimes he would actually believe them because any decision against UTD was wrong. He had tunnel vision when it came to UTD, get on our side or get in the way.

I told them from a UTD fans viewpoint it was brilliant to see. Having this guy fight your corner on the smallest issue and terrify people into going against him or giving a decision the other way was great. We will never know how many pre-match or half time confrontations with the officials scared them into letting small decisions go our way, how many helped the flow of game go in our favor, whether it be taclkes, offsides or penalty appeals. My guess would be hundreds. How many blastings a ref, manager or player got in the press in the days leading up to a match made them angry and not thinking straight come match-day. It was all simply done to give us the upperhand.

The funniest recent one was when City beat us one-nil at the Ethihad to get the advantage in the title race and Fergie had a got at Manchini for being in the refs ear all night. Fergie telling someone off for having a go at the fourth official, bloody priceless. He may have been so blinkered that he actually believed he was justified in his argument.

Blackburn once beat United 4-3 as well and he had a go at Hughes saying he couldn't go through his career questioning every decision the referee made. Alot found that amusing from Fergie at the time.

I'd suggest people have a look at the John Snow interview with him from Channel 4 yesterday evening. Snow went alot harder on Fergie than others, even questioning his political relationship with the Glaziers. My bad if the interview has already been mentioned.

Tosic has just scored against City :p

this crazy scoring run of players with links to United continues. if only our own players took notice:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Expect a United win tonight. hope to see Januzaj get another run out, he looks the most creative player we have at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

zerks wrote: »
    azBhD9l.gif

Really sums it up... I lol'ed :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wasn't Welbeck in doubt too?

I know we'll never see it, cause Moyes is so desperate for a good result, but I'd love to see Hernandez and Kagawa start together. Whenever I've seen the duo together, I've liked them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 39m
    Interesting line gone under radar, from Ferguson book, on MUFC pretty much refusing to deal with Spurs any more because of Daniel Levy

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 37m
    Ferguson blames 'Berbatov carry-on' and uses Luka Modric as example - ie MUFC didn't want to deal with Levy, so left it

Terrible looking United side.

this thread is going to be a mess, again, after the match. FFS.

• Advertisement

Terrible looking United side.

im happy enough with it to be honest, considering RVP/Vidic is injured. Fellani for giggs is the only thing that is disappointing, but overall its not terrible.

Jones and Giggs are the liabilities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement