Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That is absolutely stunning, even for the Mail. I have no idea how someone can put their name to something like that, it totally baffles me.

Kagawa was involved in everything good we did and was voted man of the match, then praise by the manager for his performance.

Utter ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    So you got it then? Still waiting on mine, pain in the hole

Mine came through at 12.Have you wifi turned on on your kindle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good signs from that game that I hope will be built upon in the coming weeks and months.

Early in the game a defensive high line allowed pressure to be out on Sociedad back four in possession and it caused them lots of problems. Evans and Jones are very important for playing that way. Should have made it two nil with Rooney's chance and that would have made it an excellent half.

Start of second half was poor but managed to see it out and take control of the game again. The break aways, taking advantage of the opposition needing to chase the game, were good and should have resulted in more goals.

Kagawa played well and showed his class. I liked Rooney's bullish performance, taking people on and causing problems, with finesse players like Kagawa and Januzaj around its good to see Rooney using his power more. The type of player he was before Ronaldo was indulged by SAF.

Giggs is still a freak and played really well, well done to him (I know he shouldn't be relied upon to be still doing it at this stage of his career).

I think Kagawa playing from the left and drifting around the pitch shouldn't be a major problem even if it leaves the left side open. With two Central midfielders and mobile centre backs, playing a high defensive line the space will be covered. He also stays towards that side unless the ball goes to the right hand side, when it goes right he gets into the centre around the box just like welbeck would for example. He worked very hard to get back into position on the left.

The link play between Kagawa and Rooney was really good and promising for the future no matter what roles they are asked to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Only had a quick look at the game last night before bed but from what I saw it was a very promising performance.

Loved the energy and desire we showed for much of the game - i can't understand why United don't press the opposition at all most of the time, so seeing a proper press last night was great.

Still felt Kagawa looked a bit rusty, control letting him down a few times, but in general he was very bright and involved, and merited his place. A very good performance and one I hope he can (and gets the chance to) build on.

Obviously I would have liked us to score more goals - but the overall commitment and style of the side was far more pleasing and as I have been saying, my issues have been with the performances rather than the results for the most part - so i will take that performance last night. Hopefully we press on from that and keep it up, while improving, as we still need to improve.

Also, I was completely wrong on Giggs and Valencia, both had very good games last night.

Every single touch Kagawa had during the Real Sociedad game. This being his first full 90 minutes this season. He must be played more, he is the link up man we need, he makes things happen.

tumblr_mv59a3zDEN1qaorn7o2_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sacramento wrote: »
    Every single touch Kagawa had during the Real Sociedad game. This being his first full 90 minutes this season. He must be played more, he is the link up man we need, he makes things happen.

tumblr_mv59a3zDEN1qaorn7o2_r1_400.gif

Should send that clip to that muppet from the Daily Fail that wrote that article about Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

delighted with the win, sets us up nicely. two draws in the games in the round 4 would be very good for us, then 4 points from the last 2 games should see us top.

alot of positives such as the win, the clean sheet and a few good performances, however overall we were not great. a better team would have punished us.

Next up are Stoke, norwich and fulham - it has to be 3 wins, nothing less.

going into arsenal 6 games unbeaten would give the team great confidence and id be pretty sure, a win against them (assuming we beat stoke and Fulham) would put us to within 3 points of them - thats got to be the first aim of the season now, let everything else look after itself then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Can anyone post or a have link to post-match Rooney interview

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Thought we played decent last night, really liked Kagawas influence, Rooney was excellent. Defence looked solid although we gave away a few too many frees around the box but much like Saturday we didn't give up any really clear cut chances where DDG had to bail us out. I think that a positive DMoyes is bringing is he is making us more and more solid looking defensively and largely the goals we have been giving away have been individual errors rather than us being played through whch is something that will be eliminated as players get more into the season. It is a foundation from which we should be able to kick on.

Giggsy played well, what he offered most importantly was he positioned himself ahead of Carrick, obviously it would be better if Fellaini could learn/improve himself in this role or Cleverly could improve again as we don't want to be relying on a 40 year old.
    I thought Valencia was muck and it hurts my brain to see him in any United line up, I'd prefer if he was confined to a back up right back role. His style is just so detrimental to any type of fluid move.

The Rooney/Kagawa/which 3 behind the main striker dilemma is a good one to have.
    I love RVP as a player, I think he oozes class but at this moment in time I wouldn't mind seeing him have a break and let Rooney play up top, when he moved there last night for the last few minutes with Kagawa behind, the interplay looked threathening all the time. Rooney in this form right up front is a beast of a player, have Jan/Kag/Nani behind and with our solid base and there is plenty cause for optimism.
    I'd also be a big fan of Chicharito and think he absolutely deserves alot more minutes but I think they should be from the bench, he has so much more of an impact that way.

what did ye make of the singing section?

never stopped in there, fair play to them....if only the rest of the stadium starting singing too now and we'd be sorted :o

• Advertisement

never stopped in there, fair play to them....if only the rest of the stadium starting singing too now and we'd be sorted :o

Thought it went well.

Would love the section to get bigger and develop a friendly rivalry with the Stretford End - the two ends competing to be louder, and creating noise across the pitch, could be excellent, and get the north and south stands involved more too.

Certainly something that should be on the clubs plan to implement permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I thoguht it was brilliant - they never stopped - finally a game in OT where the away support aren't the loudest in the ground! I agree with you though it would be good to get more people in on it - but i'd say that will come in time. The Stretford end rivalry is a good idea too!

I thoguht it was brilliant - they never stopped - finally a game in OT where the away support aren't the loudest in the ground! I agree with you though it would be good to get more people in on it - but i'd say that will come in time. The Stretford end rivalry is a good idea too!

think there was 1400 in there last night, with the plan being the next trail of it will be 2200-2400 people.

my fear is that most of the lads who sing, would come from the strettie or the old k stand anyway which is where most of the singing starts normally?

the problem with the north and south stands is very simple - the tickets are too expensive and younger people, who'd make most of the noise wouldnt really have enough influence in there nor are you allowed to stand as you get told to sit down pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

A good performance I thought sociedad really backed off and allowed us to play.
    I thought giggs, Rooney and Evra were very good. Valencia worked really hard and I thought he played fairly well. We really should be beating teams like them 3 or 4 nil.

We really should be beating teams like them 3 or 4 nil.

Agreed - but at the same time if that had been the scoreline last night it wouldn't have flattered us - Rooney should have scored, Chico should have scored, Kagawa should have scored, Jones could probably have scored. Possibly others I'm forgetting. Point is, our attacking play was creating the chances to score - which is an improvement in itself.

We still have a way to go, no argument there, but the performance last night was far more encouraging than we have seen recently - and for me that is more important than the scoreline itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Just going on last nights match, I think its obvious that Carrick and Fellaini can't play together yet, a good decision to put Giggs in as he moved the ball forward a lot and helped keep it in Sociedads half. Thought Kagawa was superb when he switched inside behind Rooney. The two should be given a run that way for the next 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I heard various commentators once again gushing about how well Rooney played last night.

I wonder, how do people here think he actually did creatively? What did he create last night?

Our performances in Europe have been a lot more positive that in the league. I think a lot of teams in the premier league realise if you can pressurise them and get them to turn then we become very vulnerable.

• Advertisement

Our performances in Europe have been a lot more positive that in the league. I think a lot of teams in the premier league realise if you can pressurise them and get them to turn then we become very vulnerable.

Bollox, to be honest.

Bilbao showed that vs us a few seasons ago. We aren't an unknown entity to European sides - they will know our strengths and weaknesses as well as any PL side.

Our performances have been better in Europe, yes, but it is not because the opposition don't realise how to play against us - they simply haven't been able to get on top of us like some PL sides have.

I heard various commentators once again gushing about how well Rooney played last night.

I wonder, how do people here think he actually did creatively? What did he create last night?

I thought Rooney played very well but maybe not as well as is being reported. Sociedad backed off and gave him loads of space. Everytime he got the ball he was allowed turn and run at the defence, that wouldn't happen against top level opposition.

What do people think is our best choice centre back pairing? Surprised that Smalling seems to be getting a raw deal.

I have been an advocate of not having Rooney in that no.10 role but he did play well last night, some of the interplay was very good, he benefitted from having Giggs and Kagawa in and around him. He is in good form but good form as a direct attacking player moreso than a more subtle no.10 which is what we need. As I said above, I'd give RVP a break as his form is not there at the moment and play Rooney up top. The thought of the interplay between Kagawa, Januzaj and Rooney in this form makes me drool.

And he created the goal.

Bollox, to be honest.

Bilbao showed that vs us a few seasons ago. We aren't an unknown entity to European sides - they will know our strengths and weaknesses as well as any PL side.

Our performances have been better in Europe, yes, but it is not because the opposition don't realise how to play against us - they simply haven't been able to get on top of us like some PL sides have.

Well just going on this year I think both Leverkusen and Sociedad have been very naive and gave us far too much respect, playing very defence minded and dropping deep which suits us completely.

Rooney was excellent last night IMO, was at the center of everything we did.

what did he create?

he had 9 shots on goal and also had several key passes that set up other lads. best player on the pitch and by some distance.

Well just going on this year I think both Leverkusen and Sociedad have been very naive and gave us far too much respect, playing very defence minded and dropping deep which suits us completely.
    On the flip side we have performed better, attacked more and more freely in europe, and generally been set up tatically to better go at the opposition in Europe than in the PL.

• Advertisement

What do people think is our best choice centre back pairing? Surprised that Smalling seems to be getting a raw deal.

Kind of agree with regard to Smalling. I do think it's time to start moving away from RIo and Vidic. I think Evans is looking like a number one centre half with either of Jones or Smalling. There is still room for Vidic but more fleetingly.
    I also think DDG looks more asured and relaxed when Vidic is not in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I didn't realise there was a new initiative but certainly noticed the crowd were orders of magnitude better than they usually are. A roaring success I would say!

Yeah I don't really know what to say about him tbh. I don't think it would be fair to say he played badly - he was influential and dynamic and one of United's best players, but certainly he didn't and doesn't do the job of a number 10 well.

There's no dilemma when it comes to himself and Kagawa to my mind. When you play Rooney at 10 and Kagawa on the wing, neither of them create. When you play Kagawa in the middle, wherever else Rooney ends up, at least you know Kagawa will do his bit.

People have been bemoaning United's inability to create chances so far this year while simultaneously praising Rooney's contributions. With the number 10 being the creative focal point of a team there will have to come a time when people realise there is a contradiction here somewhere.

Everytime he got the ball he was allowed turn and run at the defence
    he had 9 shots on goal

This solidifies something that I have been starting to think lately. Maybe I am wrong, but, I think the problem is that Rooney plays the number 10 role the same as he would play the lone striker role.

What I mean is that when he is number 10, Rooney is full of hard running, dropping in to collect the ball, battling with defenders, pressing hard to win the ball back, having shots on goal from outside the box, trying to power past a defender.

Thats why he looks very impressive every game, and if he was the further forward striker thats exactly what we would want him to be doing, and no doubt he would add plenty of goals to that bombastic play.

But is that what we need for our number 10? 9 shots on goal, but did he provide the best link for the rest of the team to involve them in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lads I don't think people understand the effect in all honesty.

Rooney had 8 shots or whatever last night and one managed to find it's way in the net off a defender, other than that he didn't create much, he was most dangerous when he was up in the strikers position but that just took away any link from the midfield.

As a result Hernandez had 0 shots on goal, is that what you want for the focal point of the attack? For it to completely pass him by?

When Kag was moved in centre and Rooney up front he started to get more chances as the striker and we actually looked very dangerous in those last 10 minutes.

That's the question, do we leave Rooney as the number 10 in the hope that his moments or brilliance will keep getting us goals at the expense of not having much of a creative link, or do we play Kagawa there and have that creative link which should create more chances but take away Rooney's goals.

I think what we've seen so far this season suggests we need to play Kagawa there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ericzeking wrote: »
    Kind of agree with regard to Smalling. I do think it's time to start moving away from RIo and Vidic. I think Evans is looking like a number one centre half with either of Jones or Smalling. There is still room for Vidic but more fleetingly.
    I also think DDG looks more asured and relaxed when Vidic is not in the team.

Ive notcied that Vidic berates DDG for his own mistakes :pac:

• Advertisement

This solidifies something that I have been starting to think lately. Maybe I am wrong, but, I think the problem is that Rooney plays the number 10 role the same as he would play the lone striker role.

What I mean is that when he is number 10, Rooney is full of hard running, dropping in to collect the ball, battling with defenders, pressing hard to win the ball back, having shots on goal from outside the box, trying to power past a defender.

Thats why he looks very impressive every game, and if he was the further forward striker thats exactly what we would want him to be doing, and no doubt he would add plenty of goals to that bombastic play.

But is that what we need for our number 10? 9 shots on goal, but did he provide the best link for the rest of the team to involve them in the game?

You don't need to convince me I've been saying it for weeks!

Ive notcied that Vidic berates DDG for his own mistakes :pac:

Vidics mistakes or DDGs mistakes....not sure if you're taking the pish or not....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Vidics mistakes or DDGs mistakes....not sure if you're taking the pish or not....?

nah i tend to agree. that og by vidic last year was as much his fault as de gea if not more yet he starts yelling at de gea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Mike Phelan has said we were about to sign one of the best players in the world until Fergie left and had he stayed we would have got him.

This doesn't exactly help Moyes and I'm not sure why Phelan is saying it but there you go.

Ronnie would be my guess

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8988226/transfer-news-mike-phelan-says-sir-alex-ferguson-was-eyeing-top-talent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Mike Phelan has said we were about to sign one of the best players in the world until Fergie left and had he stayed we would have got him.

This doesn't exactly help Moyes and I'm not sure why Phelan is saying it but there you go.

Ronnie would be my guess

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8988226/transfer-news-mike-phelan-says-sir-alex-ferguson-was-eyeing-top-talent

phelan and rene have been annoying me with their comments since leaving

Ronnie would be my guess

Thiago maybe? Would certainly fit with the previous rumour about Moyes halting that deal.

Ronnie would be my guess

As was said many times by a few people over the summer. Ronaldo to United was a real goer - there was a real chance. Have heard various stories that Woodward completely fecked it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think United need to rey play without out and out wingers and play Kagawa, Rooney and Januzaj behind RVP in three free floating roles. Kagawa needs the hole (giggidy) but he did play well coming in from the left. Rooney also made some decent runs out wide too, which opened the game up for Shinji to come inside (Also giggidy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

On another note, United need some of this:
    im1NpZg.gif

It was said earlier in the thread that for all of United attack, there was never a player coming from midfielder to have a swing at the ball. Now I know Zlatan is Zlatan, and plays all the positions at once, while not even on the pitch, but to just have a player picking up the lose ball and blasting it towards the goal has to be done. Sure our goal last night was from a deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think United need to rey play without out and out wingers and play Kagawa, Rooney and Januzaj behind RVP in three free floating roles. Kagawa needs the hole (giggidy) but he did play well coming in from the left. Rooney also made some decent runs out wide too, which opened the game up for Shinji to come inside (Also giggidy).

I agree would love to see them both given a fairly flexible role in where they are when attacking and letting the full backs create the width over lapping. They both naturally like to get on the ball anyway so if the ball is moving out wide its where they want to be anyway but its gives them the license the come in and make space for others or make something happen themselves. Moyes just doesn't seem like the kind of managers to give players the freedom like that. Hopefully i'm wrong and he just lets the two boys run wild!

My first post in the soccer forum yay!

• Advertisement

As was said many times by a few people over the summer. Ronaldo to United was a real goer - there was a real chance. Have heard various stories that Woodward completely fecked it up.

Fergie staying would have been a huge part of this deal from Ronnies point of view but don't let that stop you painting Woodward as a Buffoon.

You make it sound like we have Mr Bean doing out transfers. He made a balls of the Cesc deal apparently.

Can you elaborate on how exactly he fecked it up or did the person whom you heard it from not have any of those details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The winning goal :confused:

Fergie staying would have been a huge part of this deal from Ronnies point of view but don't let that stop you painting Woodward as a Buffoon.

You make it sound like we have Mr Bean doing out transfers. He made a balls of the Cesc deal apparently.

Can you elaborate on how exactly he fecked it up or did the person whom you heard it from not have any of those details?

Gills dash to Madrid after the fergie retirement was keep the Ronaldo deal in place.

Basic deal had been agreed, along with contract.

Woodward tried to renegotiate it, is one of the stories I have heard.

And yeah, I believe he made a balls of the Fabregas transfer, either deliberately or cause he didn't know what he was doing. Our approach to that was farcical.

He had Moyes believe one of Ronaldo, Fabregas or Bale would be at United and he failed on all 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah jesus, we actually do something positive last night and there's still moaning about Woodward and transfers.

Given how hard good performances are to come by right now, can we not just take a day off the Woodward bashing?

Vidic's mistakes ive seen him do it time and time again.

Gills dash to Madrid after the fergie retirement was keep the Ronaldo deal in place.

Basic deal had been agreed, along with contract.

Woodward tried to renegotiate it, is one of the stories I have heard.

And yeah, I believe he made a balls of the Fabregas transfer, either deliberately or cause he didn't know what he was doing. Our approach to that was farcical.

He had Moyes believe one of Ronaldo, Fabregas or Bale would be at United and he failed on all 3.

Stopped reading there as it makes zeros sense and is flat out lying due to bitterness. Sad really.

v3ttel wrote: »
    The winning goal :confused:

Have you any opinion on the wider point being discussed? Or are you just confused in general.

Ah jesus, we actually do something positive last night and there's still moaning about Woodward and transfers.

Given how hard good performances are to come by right now, can we not just take a day off the Woodward bashing?

So we cant discuss a United matter that only came out today :confused:

Stopped reading there as it makes zeros sense and is flat out lying due to bitterness. Sad really.

So you think 25million was a decent offer? followed by 31million a few weeks later and then, despite being told 40million was the figure Barcelona wanted, procrastinating to the point of doing nothing and let it fizzle away.

He either had no actual intention of getting Fabregas to United or had no clue how to conduct the transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Will that singing section be there at the Stoke match at the weekend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement