Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

in terms of attacking options from Fullback (and i think this is hugely important) i think buttner is a better ball player than Jones for example.

Jones is a far better overall player and defender, but Buttner is a better ball player if that makes sense or thus, a better full back IMO.
    I think you're struggling to make a point there homer. Let's not forget the LB's main role.

If we lose Evra and have to put Buttner in to face the big teams there won't be much excitement about his ability to go forward.

I think we need cover at LB. You think we're worse off at RB. We probably won't agree (again!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

kippy wrote: »
    Is it really that obvious?
    Or is it more likely that:
    1. Moyes hasnt had the time to do this. Especially considering the major upheaval at United in terms of staff/backroom staff. He would also need to look at a completely different level of player than he did at Everton, so he may now even have been able "re-use" any targets.
    2. Perhaps he is of the opinion that players should start with a clean slate with him. He is giving himself time to properly assess the squad and give everyone a chance to impress - fair enough surely.
    3. Having identified the need for midfielders, he gets one in and a very good one at that.
    4. Yeah they missed out on a few (according to the papers) but what club in this window hasn't missed out on players they wanted?
    5. He has managed to keep the squad together, for a while at least, this cannot be underestimated in it's importance.

Well said. Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This.

and if somebody like Barca or Madrid want him then they are going to have top pay a hell of a lot.

Thankfully, from recent interviews he currently sees his long term future at United, talking about becoming a club legend and joking about his future testimonial.

What a sensational signing he was. Goes to show how clueless the British press are a lot of the time, when virtually all of them criticised/questioned spending so much on a young foreign keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Blatter wrote: »
    Thankfully, from recent interviews he currently sees his long term future at United, talking about becoming a club legend and joking about his future testimonial.

What a sensational signing he was. Goes to show how clueless the British press are a lot of the time, when virtually all of them criticised/questioned spending so much on a young foreign keeper.

WOW......so someone is admitting the British Press talk through their arse? :)

Maybe, just maybe, they are talking through their arse about this 'panic' , 'crisis' , 'shotgun strategy' etc they have been spouting the last 48 hours? When really, we enquired about a few players availability, as opposed to 'Embarrassed' ourselves. :confused:

My tendencies will lean me towards - YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Blatter wrote: »

The day we signed De Gea for me was one of the best days for me as a united supporter. I was so worried about replacing VDS and ws delighted to see United address the issue straight away and sign what was one of the best young keepers in the league.

I would go into meltdown if he left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Is it really that obvious?
    Or is it more likely that:
    1. Moyes hasnt had the time to do this. Especially considering the major upheaval at United in terms of staff/backroom staff. He would also need to look at a completely different level of player than he did at Everton, so he may now even have been able "re-use" any targets.
    2. Perhaps he is of the opinion that players should start with a clean slate with him. He is giving himself time to properly assess the squad and give everyone a chance to impress - fair enough surely.
    3. Having identified the need for midfielders, he gets one in and a very good one at that.
    4. Yeah they missed out on a few (according to the papers) but what club in this window hasn't missed out on players they wanted?
    5. He has managed to keep the squad together, for a while at least, this cannot be underestimated in it's importance.

I agree. If you look back objectively, it was his first few months in the job. A major change of backroom staff took place. He had to settle into his new work enviroment and learn the UTD way.

He had a far east tour and a team to prepare and get fit for the new season. He had a new chief exec to liaise with and all of this in his first few months in the job.

There was no way he could implement his Everton systems with all that going on so he had to just roll with it shall we say.

I think both Woodward and Moyes should be given this window as a grace period by the fans. Sure we were all frustrated we didn't get Cesc etc and maybe Moyes and Woodward were over ambitious at times but this is lie anybody in a new job, there is a setteling in period and not eveything is going to go to plan.

Lets just hope they have learned their lessons because I won't be as patient next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pj! wrote: »
    I think you're struggling to make a point there homer. Let's not forget the LB's main role.

If we lose Evra and have to put Buttner in to face the big teams there won't be much excitement about his ability to go forward.

I think we need cover at LB. You think we're worse off at RB. We probably won't agree (again!)

we have 2 natural left backs, only one natural right backs. fabio can play in both positions - how is cover for RB better?

tell me honestly, is there much difference between putting Evans at LB and Jones/Smalling at right back?

Rafael is, lets be honest, much more injury prone than Evra. of course that can change in an instant, but how many clubs have a LB back up that is better than Fabio, Evans and buttner, even giggs as 5th choice. again, not much difference between Giggs at LB and Valencia at RB.
    Trilla wrote: »

Lovely post :)

FFS, there genuinly is something weird about you. i didnt bother replying to that post in the interest of the forums sanity and things settled. however, here you are about 18 hours later bringing up the discussion again.

other posters outlined that both you and thedoc are wrong in your accusations that i called you a part time fan. ive explained that i didnt, they have explained that i didnt, yet you both still coming in spouting lie after lie and refusing to accept that you are actually wrong. you bolded a part of a post to make yourself look like some sort of victim and your going on and on about it like a child.

for example i can say the following.
    all United fans are gob****es when they are singing songs about Heysel and Hillsborough.

what you did was this.
    all United fans are gob****es when they are singing songs about Heysel and Hillsborough.

now, i dont know if you are trolling or just weird, but let this bulls*it go please in the interest of other posters.

what is the point in that, honestly, what have you to gain from it bringing it up this morning again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this might be of interest to some of you, if you didn't know already of course...
    Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes

Sir Alex Ferguson's new autobiography out on Oct 24. No doubt some withering words for Rooney, Keane, Tevez, Benitez and others (Beckham?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SlickRic wrote: »
    this might be of interest to some of you, if you didn't know already of course...

Never got through his first one, somewhat don't like reading. This would peak my interest though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

1098204_220371841453922_1640334889_n.jpg

Found this on facebook.. got a laugh out of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

we have 2 natural left backs, only one natural right backs. fabio can play in both positions - how is cover for RB better?

tell me honestly, is there much difference between putting Evans at LB and Jones/Smalling at right back?

Rafael is, lets be honest, much more injury prone than Evra. of course that can change in an instant, but how many clubs have a LB back up that is better than Fabio, Evans and buttner, even giggs as 5th choice. again, not much difference between Giggs at LB and Valencia at RB.

We just won't agree I'm afraid.

Jones, Smalling and Valencia >>> Fabio, Buttner (and Giggs if you like). Any day of the week.

Presumably you just think the club are being barmy again in looking for a LB.

(for what it's worth Valencia >> Giggs at full back)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pj! wrote: »
    We just won't agree I'm afraid.

Jones, Smalling and Valencia >>> Fabio, Buttner (and Giggs if you like). Any day of the week.

Presumably you just think the club are being barmy again in looking for a LB.

(for what it's worth Valencia >> Giggs at full back)

I'm sort of with you here. I don't like Jones at RB at all, but I'm fine with Valencia and Smalling.

The thought of Giggs at LB brings a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Why are people buying into that spin?

ALL players who hand in a transfer request take the hit on the loyalty fee - if they don't it's unusual.

A transfer request has no bearing whatsoever on loyalty bonus, its a load of nonsense that goes unchecked in the press and pretty much everywhere.

A transfer request will impact unpaid sign on fees which are usually paid over length of contract.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

daithijjj wrote: »
    A transfer request has no bearing whatsoever on loyalty bonus, its a load of nonsense that goes unchecked in the press and pretty much everywhere.

A transfer request will impact unpaid sign on fees which are usually paid over length of contract.

And you deal with these kind of negotations on a regular basis?

(Not saying the press or anyone else is correct or incorrect but I wouldnt be taking the word of an internet poster on such matters as truth either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never got through his first one, somewhat don't like reading. This would peak my interest though
    Wouldn't be into reading at all either, but i'll be picking this up the day its out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

FFS, there genuinly is something weird about you. i didnt bother replying to that post in the interest of the forums sanity and things settled. however, here you are about 18 hours later bringing up the discussion again.

Hi, I only read it this morning, sorry! And yes I can see how you didn't call me a part time fan, it was just worded badly imo. I did say afterwards I thought it wasn't clear. I think you'll find you're bringing up this part of the discussion again (but I suppose in replying I'm doing the exact same now - its like who wants the last word :)). Honestly relax I'm not intentionally resurrecting an argument. If it seems that way sorry Homer and co.

What I found lovely about the post and why I quoted it - is his points on Woodward, the transfer sagas, his disagreement to you and Mitch in relation to our recent business etc. Maybe I should have stated that instead of just saying "lovely", although I did tie it in with my thoughts above where I quoted TheDoc.
    yet you both still coming in spouting lie after lie and refusing to accept that you are actually wrong.

Personally, I haven't lied about anything to be fair. Nor have I been bítching all summer and defending Woodward.
    now, i dont know if you are trolling or just weird, but let this bulls*it go please in the interest of other posters.

I'm not weird (although I do occasionally shout random stuff in the office and down the street :o).

As I stated above I was letting this bullshít go... I was merely tying in TheDocs quote with my point to Master-T's reply. Again apologies if it seemed otherwise. As you said there is nothing to gain from it.

And you deal with these kind of negotations on a regular basis?

(Not saying the press or anyone else is correct or incorrect but I wouldnt be taking the word of an internet poster on such matters as truth either)

You don't have to. Its true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

daithijjj wrote: »
    You don't have to. Its true though.

Everybody is interested to learn this information. But have you got any more details, like how you came by the information?

• Advertisement

God, this international break is going to DRAGGGGG.............

Can't wait to see Fellaini in action though. Will watch the Belgium matches with a heightened interest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

SlickRic wrote: »

The cover...can't wait to get my hands on this.

1237065_10151668411282746_2035062955_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

is reina good enough for Barcelona?

i dont think he is. if we lost DDG, it would be a disaster, he is the one genuine young world class player we have.

Do you think De Gea is world class now? I would say he has the potential to be and is on his way to becoming it but world class now is a bit premature.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Johner wrote: »
    Do you think De Gea is world class now? I would say he has the potential to be and is on his way to becoming it but world class now is a bit premature.

For his age yep. Him and the young goalie ye have are two of the best around at the moment. If dave can be consistent at the level he has set him self last season he's well on the way to world class. Does it this season and next and he's there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

For me world class means, could the player slot into the best teams in the world. For me DDG could easily do that, so yes I'd call him world class now.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Herrara giving a press conf. at the mo.

Herrera: "There's no chance I'd leave unless they'd pay the buyout clause and then spoken to me about it. That didn't happen."

“I’m very flattered that a club like #MUFC made an offer for me”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Delboy5 wrote: »

Herrera: "There's no chance I'd leave unless they'd pay the buyout clause and then spoken to me about it. That didn't happen."

Couple of rags saying we'll be back in for him in January, wouldn't surprise me. Maybe United's administrators can learn more about the Spanish tax laws in the meantime....

Pro. F wrote: »
    Everybody is interested to learn this information. But have you got any more details, like how you came by the information?

I read it before from a Sports solicitor of the PFAI. Cant find that info right now but you can read this man's tweets today. Not much detail but sums up what i read before in 2 tweets.

https://twitter.com/ianlynam

Pro. F wrote: »
    For me world class means, could the player slot into the best teams in the world. For me DDG could easily do that, so yes I'd call him world class now.

He is a world class goalkeeper just like Casillas was at his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

De Gea is an awesome keeper in the top 5 in word football, without doubt the best shot stopper in the world.

Delboy5 wrote: »

He's pretty much refuting a lot of what was said.

No agreement on personal terms was reached according to him. The whole thing seems very 'tell the fans what they want to hear' so far.

Dermot corrigan is covering it excellently as normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Couple of rags saying we'll be back in for him in January, wouldn't surprise me. Maybe United's administrators can learn more about the Spanish tax laws in the meantime....

No need. Twitter will tell them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

whats the story with the RVP being unhappy about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think he falls just short of World class T moment but getting very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Johner wrote: »

yep, i think we severly lack world class players at the moment save for a few, but DDG is definately one of them.

he is an absolutely wonderful asset to the club, pure class and he has been for a long time in my opinion.

ive seeing him playing up close alot as we sit directly behind the goal and his charisma and class is just at a level ive not seen for a long long while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

slingerz wrote: »

There is no story, total bullsh1t.

Burnt his finger on his pop tart this morning.

Strawberry one apparently.

It's not more interesting than that really! 😜

He was pissed off that we conceded so early against liverpool so the papers decided to make up a story saying he is unhappy with Moyes, twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

You couldn't blame RVP for wondering if he'd jumped from the frying pan into the fire after the shambles of the last few weeks. Arsenal never looked this incompetent.

I'm worried and they don't even pay my wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

So gist of the Herrera press conference is;

Herrera did nothing wrong, Bilbao did nothing wrong, Utd did nothing wrong.

More spin than Pete Burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see if we go back for Herrera in January. He is certainly making the right kind of noises, imo.

However, I do think we went for him as there was no chance of getting Fabregas. Moyes/United might take another look at Fabregas in January depending on his selection for Barcelona and Spain. I don't see us going for Fabregas in January as he will very likely be CL-tied and it would be a lot of money to spend on a player we can't play in the CL (assuming we make it out of the group), but I could see us not going for a CM in January if there is a genuine belief we could get him after the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

David @davidjaca 20m
    Ander: "I didn't have an agreement with United. It fills me with pride they made an offer for me, and that Athletic wanted me to stay" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 18m
    Ander says he should not be facing the all questions "there are questions which United must answer". #MUFC.

David @davidjaca 16m
    Ander: "The lawyers that were at the LFP did not represent me. I didn't even know who they were" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 13m
    Ander: "I don't speak about hypothetical situations. I am telling you how things were. I did not at any moment, speak with United" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 5m
    Ander: "I'm very flattered that one of the biggest clubs in the world, like United, made an offer for me" #MUFC

Not sure if that answers anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara 26m
    Ander Herrera: "First and foremost, a club has to pay the buyout clause, which is a lot of money, the club made that clear."

Herrera: "I don't feel manipulated.How can I feel manipulated by a club like MUFC? I appreciate their interest and what Bilbao value me at"

Herrera: "Manchester United never told me, or any of my representatives that they would pay the buyout clause."

Ander Herrera: "I think United probably need to answer a few questions. I'm proud they made an offer for me."

Ander Herrera: "Me, nor my representatives, never reached any agreement with Manchester United."

Ander Herrera: "I didn't say anything because I haven't been in front of the press and the team is much more important than me."

Ander Herrera: "Those lawyers who showed up at LFP were not my representatives. I have no idea who they were."

Ander Herrera: "I'm just telling you exactly how things are and I never talked with Manchester United."

Ander Herrera: "I'll just continue doing what I'm doing at Athletic, like I have ever since I came here."

Ander Herrera: "I think the club (Athletic) acted perfectly. They did what they said they would; they don't negotiate. That's the club."

Ander Herrera: "Look, they made an offer. The president told them what they had to do; pay the clause."

Ander Herrera: "I feel very valued. But if the club wants to speak to me, I'll always listen."

Ander Herrera: "I don't know if they spoke to my agent, but they would've had to seduce me as well."

Ander Herrera: "I don't feel bad that United dropped their interest. I'm just happy the champion of one of the biggest leagues wanted me."

Ander Herrera: "It was clear to them that they had to pay the clause in order to talk to me, I've said this."

Going by his words he is interested in moving and not at all feel betrayed by what happened. Stressing the club have to pay buy out clause means there is one way to buy him and it's not by negotiating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Will be interesting to see if we go back for Herrera in January. He is certainly making the right kind of noises, imo.

However, I do think we went for him as there was no chance of getting Fabregas. Moyes/United might take another look at Fabregas in January depending on his selection for Barcelona and Spain. I don't see us going for Fabregas in January as he will very likely be CL-tied and it would be a lot of money to spend on a player we can't play in the CL (assuming we make it out of the group), but I could see us not going for a CM in January if there is a genuine belief we could get him after the WC.

A Fabregas Transfer is dead unless the manager decides to take a **** in his boots. It seemed like there was a possiblity of it happening this summer and United went public in an attempt to further unsettle fabregas but since he is starting i dont see it happening now

Herrera I can see happening but we will probably have to pay the buyout as Bilbao wont take losing another promising player easily

We will probably sign someone in january and will hopefully have our spending done before the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Zico wrote: »
    Arsenal never looked this incompetent.

Is this meant to be some sort of joke?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    David @davidjaca 20m
    Ander: "I didn't have an agreement with United. It fills me with pride they made an offer for me, and that Athletic wanted me to stay" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 18m
    Ander says he should not be facing the all questions "there are questions which United must answer". #MUFC.

David @davidjaca 16m
    Ander: "The lawyers that were at the LFP did not represent me. I didn't even know who they were" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 13m
    Ander: "I don't speak about hypothetical situations. I am telling you how things were. I did not at any moment, speak with United" #MUFC

David @davidjaca 5m
    Ander: "I'm very flattered that one of the biggest clubs in the world, like United, made an offer for me" #MUFC

Not sure if that answers anything.

For me it seems quite clear.

- United made an enquiry, but didn't agree on a fee
    - This leads to the fact that without agreeing a fee, we couldn't 'speak' to Herrara, henc did not agree terms
    - He is saying he was flattered that one of the biggest clubs in the world were asking about him
    - He is not requesting a move to force it through
    - He is leaving the door open for us to return, if we meet his release fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NTMK wrote: »
    A Fabregas Transfer is dead unless the manager decides to take a **** in his boots. It seemed like there was a possiblity of it happening this summer and United went public in an attempt to further unsettle fabregas but since he is starting i dont see it happening now

Herrera I can see happening but we will probably have to pay the buyout as Bilbao wont take losing another promising player easily

We will probably sign someone in january and will hopefully have our spending done before the world cup

he has started a few games - things might open up again if he isn't in the starting line up when they play Real Madrid or other big games.

You couldn't blame RVP for wondering if he'd jumped from the frying pan into the fire after the shambles of the last few weeks. Arsenal never looked this incompetent.

I'm worried and they don't even pay my wages.

Is this mean to be humour?

The shambles of the last few weeks? RvP thinks he has made the wrong move is it? Unhappy with Moyes apparently? Wants to leave next probably is it?

You get this from RvP being unhappy at conceding early and losing a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyPRlkf6U-RWyeEyS_njhkTVoTVAoYly22zYBhSITduh1CFH39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Uniteds Champions league squad announced. No Januzaj in it which has led to some jumping the gun and proclaiming talks have broken down over his contract.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52682/squad/index.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement