Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Red Crow wrote: »
    It'll have to be at least £50M+

Arsenal are getting £30M off Puma and Liverpool are getting £25M off Warrior.

I reckon it'll be upwards of £75 million a year.

Or maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or maybe not.

I think you are going to be right.

We are getting 70million or so for the shirt sponsorship - I think we are going to match it for the kit.

It is going to be a long enough contract when announced, I reckon, but it is going to be absolutely huge.

Warrior have been very keen to get the contract, and that will have bumped the price up too.

I think you are going to be right.

We are getting 70million or so for the shirt sponsorship - I think we are going to match it for the kit.

It is going to be a long enough contract when announced, I reckon, but it is going to be absolutely huge.

Warrior have been very keen to get the contract, and that will have bumped the price up too.

This is one area in which I have full confidence in the Glazers to impress.

Warrior's deal with Liverpool runs to 2015, which is when the Nike deal ends, so I hope they come in and make a huge effort to get it.

I think Madrid and Adidas have the biggest deal at the moment (£31 million) and I fully expect that to be dwarfed by the new United deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Robson99 wrote: »

I wonder how we would fair with Rooney playing beside either Carrick or Fellani in a mid field behind Adnan, Kags and Nani/Val. From what Ive seen Carrick and Fellani are too static when played together. We looked more balanced with Giggs there last nite. Surely Rooney would be a better option than Giggs in that position. Its just a thought

Carr/Fell Rooney

Nani/Val Kags Adnan

Rvp

Anyone think this would work?

Anyone think this would work?

No - on the basis Rooney has been rather vocal that he wants to play centre forward, so there isn't a chance of him being pushed back into midfield anytime soon. Not unless we are down to 10 men and defending a lead or something like that.

Also, Rooney isn't a central midfielder. He can spray a pass, but defensive position and control isn't good enough to be answer there.

Carrick and Fellaini or Cleverley are our best options in central midfield imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

well, we got 4 against Leverkusen, so no.

remembered that....figured ninja delete may work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Or maybe not.

expected to be around 50-70million a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

No - on the basis Rooney has been rather vocal that he wants to play centre forward, so there isn't a chance of him being pushed back into midfield anytime soon. Not unless we are down to 10 men and defending a lead or something like that.

Also, Rooney isn't a central midfielder. He can spray a pass, but defensive position and control isn't good enough to be answer there.

Carrick and Fellaini or Cleverley are our best options in central midfield imo.

I agree Mitch hes not a natural central midfielder but neither is Giggs IMO. Defensively I think he would be ok beside either Carrick or Fellani. His control isnt good enough for the No 10 position but I think he would get away with it there. As bad as it is its probably still better than Giggs, Fellani or Andersons.

expected to be around 50-70million a year.

Sun are reporting a 300million deal - for 5 years. 60million a year. twice what Madrid get, but I honestly would have expected more.

I agree Mitch hes not a natural central midfielder but neither is Giggs IMO. Defensively I think he would be ok beside either Carrick or Fellani. His control isnt good enough for the No 10 position but I think he would get away with it there. As bad as it is its probably still better than Giggs, Fellani or Andersons.

If United/Moyes want Rooney to stay at United, there isn't a chance of him being moved to central midfield. None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Sun are reporting a 300million deal - for 5 years. 60million a year. twice what Madrid get, but I honestly would have expected more.

Its still a stellar deal. Whats the debt at now? 400 or 350m? That means we are debt free in less than 5 years given the 130m a year from commercial deals not to mention Woodwards plans to expand the UTD brand in the US.

Its still a stellar deal. Whats the debt at now? 400 or 350m? That means we are debt free in less than 5 years given the 130m a year from commercial deals not to mention Woodwards plans to expand the UTD brand in the US.

I'd be surprised if we were debt free any time soon, but I do expect the debt to be down to a basically negligible level within the next few years - where we will carry it and still pay interest on it, but it will be a relatively nothing value in comparison to everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Fergies book available on line wink wink

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Went into my two local book shops today. Both of them are charging through the roof. One place was selling it for €26.99 and the other for €24.99.

I went back home again and ordered it on Amazon for £11.50.

Ridiculous pricing for a book that will sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Any recipes for it, sorry!?

Any recipes for it, sorry!?

Can't post them here I think.
    PM sent

Went into my two local book shops today. Both of them are charging through the roof. One place was selling it for €26.99 and the other for €24.99.

I went back home again and ordered it on Amazon for £11.50.

Ridiculous pricing for a book that will sell.

Agree. My girlfriend was gonna buy it for me. Spotted it on line and said don't bother if they are charging 25 quid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mad that it's only 3megs. I'd buy the thing if it was 2.99 or something.

I'll probably finish it if I start tonight so will start tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PM sent

Any chance of a PM?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

PM sent

Can I have that recipie please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Guys, stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ooof.

tumblr_mv59a3zDEN1qaorn7o2_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

4 players taken out of the game with a simple one-two and spin, why the fúck doesn't he start every game so we can see what he can really do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

that didn't take long.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oh yeah and Moyes and Woodward did actually sign a CM and got Rooney, Nani and Januzaj to sign new deals.

Have i missed something here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

scudzilla wrote: »

Probably meant got Rooney to stay at the club. Most people could have guessed this

scudzilla wrote: »
    Probably meant got Rooney to stay at the club. Most people could have guessed this

Sorry, yes, meant got him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just thinking their is a good decent bit of young attacking talent that could make a big impact in the next year or two. Powell, Zaha, Janjuaz, Lingard and Hernriquez and i am not sure if we signed Bruno Gomes yet. Very promising for the future fancy a few of them to make it at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Anyone else notice how little attention united's bad form is getting this week? Instead of reading everywhere the usual about moyes not good enough, players unhappy, etc now all the focus seems to be on fergie and his new book. I wouldn't put it past him to have timed the release to deflect attention like he often did with his after match interviews

Anyone else notice how little attention united's bad form is getting this week? Instead of reading everywhere the usual about moyes not good enough, players unhappy, etc now all the focus seems to be on fergie and his new book. I wouldn't put it past him to have timed the release to deflect attention like he often did with his after match interviews

If United had not win the other night we would be hearing about it. The fact we won is the reason we are not hearing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Alex Ferguson, trolling a certain club, again.

I wonder if there were any objections from the United board?

It seems Fergie gushed about Scholes in his new book, he has more than 30 mentions in the index, more than Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand or even Ryan Giggs.

I found this bit interesting
    Ferguson would use him as a sounding board to seek out the conscience of UTD. He was alerted to the fact that Keane’s dressing-room rant did not have the support of the wider squad when Scholes walked out mid-spume. When he wanted to know how to proceed when Ruud van  Nistelrooy was undermining group morale, it was Scholes he sought out. The advice that came his way was succinct: “Sell him.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/Sir_Alex_Ferguson/10400207/How-does-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-love-Paul-Scholes-In-his-autobiography-he-counts-the-ways.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its the quiet ones that are the most dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I would imagine the books release was in place for some time and nothing to do with the clubs current fortunes.

I was expecting a huge attack on Gerrard but this is what was written?
    "Lampard, for me, was a marvellous servant for Chelsea. But I didn't think of him as an elite international footballer. And I'm one of the few who felt Gerrard was not a top, top player."

But in January of this year, when he was still manager at Manchester United, Fergie admitted that it would have been a major coup for the club to have signed Steven Gerrard: "Could you imagine me going to bed at night having taken Gerrard off Liverpool?

"Along with Graeme Souness, he's probably the best midfield player Liverpool have ever had, although I have Souness just above them all.

"It's amazing that he has played every minute of every game in the Premier League this season - and at the age of 33."

What exactly are people so wound up about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Not the way it works really. We won't be debt free before 2017 and there is no need to pay off the debt yet. The club is in a great financial position and an extra £30M a year from a new kit deal would be an added bonus.

Clubs like Spurs and Liverpool are really going to suffer becuase of stadium related and performance related issues over the next 4-7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I was expecting a huge attack on Gerrard but this is what was written?

What exactly are people so wound up about?

Becuase he's telling the truth that Gerrard was overrated. A great player but my god was he overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just thinking their is a good decent bit of young attacking talent that could make a big impact in the next year or two. Powell, Zaha, Janjuaz, Lingard and Hernriquez and i am not sure if we signed Bruno Gomes yet. Very promising for the future fancy a few of them to make it at the club.

Looking at Powell's form for Wigan this morning got me thinking about Henriquez and when I looked at his wiki page (I know, I know) it says he had scored 4 goals in 5 games for Zaragoza and thought wow, that is impressive. Until I realised they are playing in the Spanish second division. Still very good form but catching the eye of Spanish media I bet. Hopefully he is given the chance next season to shine as he defo seems to have potential. He also has 2 goals in 3 Chilean games which is pretty impressive too. €4M seems to be a steal all told.

Fabregas has given a interview with the Guardian and said this about UTD
    With Manchester United struggling, is this a unique opportunity for Arsenal to finally win the league?

Haha! With Manchester there is always talk about a dip … a dip, a dip, the end's coming, it's over … and they always end up right up there. You can't trust them. Ten years ago I arrived in England and for 10 years I've wondered, for 10 years people have said: "Look out, this year Manchester might collapse." But it never happens. That's one battle I gave up on long ago. Whenever anyone says to me: "Manchester won't be the same this year," I say: "No, no, no, Manchester will be up there for sure."

He's got more sense then some of our own fanbase.

He also talks about his love for Arsenal and that he might end up back their one day.

I honestly don't think he'll ever play for us out of loyalty for Arsenal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona?CMP=twt_gu

Red Crow wrote: »
    Becuase he's telling the truth that Gerrard was overrated. A great player but my god was he overrated.

Depends what Ferguson means by 'top, top'

It could be a pisstake.

It could mean Messi or Ronaldo level.

Doesn't stop people having a pop at Fergie, a testament to how much success he has had over them :D It's irony at his finest when they say he is the one being bitter.

Anyway moving on.

Please start Kagawa and Nani vs Stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fergies loyalty to scholes is one of the main reasons, our center midfield problems were not properly addressed in 5 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wait for part two when he is specifically asked about United and the summer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fergies loyalty to scholes is one of the main reasons, our center midfield problems were not properly addressed in 5 years.

Giggs also.

Anderson, Hargreaves and Fletchers problems were major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Just few days late but yeah ****ing delighted that Januzaj signed 5 year deal. Even better that he signed it on the day I got married :D

Haven't watched a single min of football in 2 weeks. Missed both Southampton and Real Sociedad games so haven't got a clue on who played badly and who played well.

Was Jones Evans partnership good? Read many people saying that.

On Bruno Gomes does anybody know if we have signed him yet. My god he has some record for scoring goals i heard we were close to signing him a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I think what is clear is that Fergie still has the ability to troll the Premier League even after he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Just few days late but yeah ****ing delighted that Januzaj signed 5 year deal. Even better that he signed it on the day I got married :D

Haven't watched a single min of football in 2 weeks. Missed both Southampton and Real Sociedad games so haven't got a clue on who played badly and who played well.

Wife to Giggsy11: happy Anniversary baby
    Giggsy11: Happy Adnan day :D

Giggy11 on the couch that night :pac:

Nuts102 wrote: »
    On Bruno Gomes does anybody know if we have signed him yet. My god he has some record for scoring goals i heard we were close to signing him a few weeks ago.

Not yet but he has trialled with us and comes from our Desportivo Brasil South American scouting camp where we have a special deal in place that gives us first option to sign the best prospects. Even though its not written in stone and he is wanted by Madrid, Udinese and Sao Paulo we still look favorites and should be very close to getting his signature. His tweets look positive also.

bruno2-1.jpg

Bruno-Gomes.jpg

http://soccerlens.com/brazilian-youngster-one-step-closer-joining-man-utd-report/118908/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I thought Evans was excellent in both, Jones might have done better in defending the Southampton goal.

The team played well against Southampton, should have scored more and were in control and attacking for first 60 minutes. Then Moyes took off Nani I think and put on Giggs. Almost immediately Southampton started to attack more; Moyes put on Danny and Smalling, but maybe adding Smalling left what was a solid center back pairing a little unsure as to who was supposed to be doing what in defending the late corner from which Southampton equalised.

In the Real game they really came to life from about 50 minutes on, mostly thanks to Kagawa, who started on the left, but as the game went on he drifted more into the middle, and he really was excellent when he was positioned more centrally. Solid performance from Evans again. Hernandez was a little isolated throughout and looked very unhappy when he was subbed late on; possibly thinking that he has missed a chance to impress.

Big worry is the lack of goals, in both games they really should have scored more, especially in the first 60 v Southampton, and the last 30 v Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Finished SAF book today . It's worth reading but nothing really new in it or any major revelations. Majority of it has been leaked in the press the past week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement