Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I was expecting a huge attack on Gerrard but this is what was written?

What exactly are people so wound up about?

Exactly, nothing. In fact, most fans would surely feel this way because if he is a 'top top player', then your putting him on the same level as the likes of Zidane, Xavi etc. I think Gerrard's been brilliant, but I can't put him on the same level as those so imo Fergie's right.

Quite a childish response from Rodgers, up in arms over something so trivial. Only chooses to criticise Fergie when he's gone and not its not going to come back and bite him on the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone else notice how little attention united's bad form is getting this week? Instead of reading everywhere the usual about moyes not good enough, players unhappy, etc now all the focus seems to be on fergie and his new book. I wouldn't put it past him to have timed the release to deflect attention like he often did with his after match interviews
    Wasn't it planned ages ago? And I doubt Fergie cares about deflecting attention from United anymore. He had a book to sell, there's no sneaky plot behind the release date.
    Red Crow wrote: »
    Becuase he's telling the truth that Gerrard was overrated. A great player but my god was he overrated.

Nope, Gerrard at his peak was easily one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Exactly, nothing. In fact, most fans would surely feel this way because if he is a 'top top player', then your putting him on the same level as the likes of Zidane, Xavi etc. I think Gerrard's been brilliant, but I can't put him on the same level as those so imo Fergie's right.

Quite a childish response from Rodgers, up in arms over something so trivial. Only chooses to criticise Fergie when he's gone and not its not going to come back and bite him on the ass.

It was far from a childish response. He was calm and only said a few words about him. Ferguson didn't say anything about him last year so we will never know. What do you expect Rodgers to do, not to defend his captain and talk him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Just few days late but yeah ****ing delighted that Januzaj signed 5 year deal. Even better that he signed it on the day I got married :D

Haven't watched a single min of football in 2 weeks. Missed both Southampton and Real Sociedad games so haven't got a clue on who played badly and who played well.

Was Jones Evans partnership good? Read many people saying that.

Wahay! Congrats to you and Mrs Giggsy11

Jones and Evans have shown a bit of an understanding playing together I think. Although Sociadad were no sort of test and they did both fvck up for the Southampton goal (from a corner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

it will take Rooney or RVP to get injured for a prolonged duration to show us and Moyes the real potential of Kags.

We seen when rooney went up top and kagawa behind the interaction was awesome even if it was only for 10 minutes, saddens me he's out on the left.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    It was far from a childish response. He was calm and only said a few words about him. Ferguson didn't say anything about him last year so we will never know. What do you expect Rodgers to do, not to defend his captain and talk him up.

Dismiss the remark as nothing, which it was, and move on from the media bait. In fact the bit in the book is more in praise of Gerrard than anything else. It struck me as someone who hadn't read the text and was just believing the sensationalist reporting of the media, which given what Liverpool have gone through the past couple of years, he should certainly know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SAF comments on Gerrard are nothing really.He said nothing too harsh about him.

Would Gerrard get into a best 11 from the last ten years ?
    IMO he wouldn't ,people will have different views but Gerrard is a good player but not in the very top bracket of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Dismiss the remark as nothing, which it was, and move on from the media bait. In fact the bit in the book is more in praise of Gerrard than anything else. It struck me as someone who hadn't read the text and was just believing the sensationalist reporting of the media, which given what Liverpool have gone through the past couple of years, he should certainly know better.

He didn't say much though. He just said he thought Gerrard was a top top player. He was very calm and didn't make too much of a big deal about it. The Henderson comments I presume did piss him off. I found it very odd that ferguson mentioned Henderson. Henderson seems like a quiet young fella. Why have a pop at him.

Just explaining the reasons why he didnt try to sign him more than anything else. But yeah I agree, with all the players United wouldve been looking at over the past 5 years, seems strange to even mention Henderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

niallo27 wrote: »
    He didn't say much though. He just said he thought Gerrard was a top top player. He was very calm and didn't make too much of a big deal about it. The Henderson comments I presume did piss him off. I found it very odd that ferguson mentioned Henderson. Henderson seems like a quiet young fella. Why have a pop at him.

He said Henderson has a strange running style and gait... hardly worth getting riled about. It's not as if if he accused him of murder or anything. People need to stop being so precious.
    Henderson, Ferguson said, had been passed over by United because he “runs from his knees” rather than his hips, which is more in keeping with the modern footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

I dont think Gerrard was ever as good as either Scholes or Keane who were Top Top players. However as a replacement for Keane when Keane left then I think Gerrard was the best available option for him. Its possible that this is when he tried to sign him. However as it stands I would rate Scholes and Keane as better players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Fergie could praise a Liverpool player and their fans would be up in arms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Considering we have Stoke the Weekend, I'm worried that, like Mark Hughes said, a dropping points to Stoke could be a major dent in MUFCs Season and makes the game a must win for David Moyes.

Utd haven't Played well since the Swansea game IMO and most players have under performed. I think alot of work needs to be done in January, but by then it may be too late.

Heres where i think the players stand in my view :

De Gea : Has improved alot since his debut season. Cant really fault him this season

Jones : Alot of potential but seems to be suffering from John O'Shea Syndrome, being moved from position to position too often. Needs a solid run at center half IMO

Smalling : Again has potential and I would have had him on loan last season and this season possibly to gain experience and have bought some one with alot more experience. Injuries haven't helped his cause either.

Vidic : Seems to be on his way out, Injuries and his ability seems to be in decline. Needs to be replaced

Ferdinand : Same as Vidic. His diminished pace seems to be a problem that wont be fixed. Needs to be replaced

Evra : Never rated him as a great defender but always liked him when we went forward. Again seems in decline but he still has miles left in him. Needs to be replaced next season, doubt that Baines is the answer at his age, perhaps Luke Shaw from Southampton could be his successor.

Evans : Has improved a great deal over the last two seasons and should be partnering Jones in the heart of our back 4 regularly.

Rafael : Similar to Evra, I love him going forward but seems to be caught out too often when defending. Can still improve and would still rate him as a good attacking full back.

Cleverly : Never rated him, never saw him change a game or boss the midfield for Wigan or United. Over hyped cause of his Englishness. Poor Midfielder and isnt a Top player that United need. Needs to be replaced

Anderson : Again I don't rate him, hes inconsistent, he plays one good game in between 3 bad ones. Never reached his Potential. Needs to be replaced.

Felliani : Needs time to prove himself. So far I haven't been impressed but im hoping he will settle. Dont see why he cant be a big time player but has looked like he has been lacking fitness since joining.

Carrick : Underrated in some respects but again hes aging. Cant see him and Felliani playing together to good effect in the Midfield but Im hoping Im wrong. Should be replaced in the summer.

Nani : Another player I dont rate. Always makes the wrong decision in games (ie passes when he should shoot and vice versa). Never consistently plays well. he could score a screamer, do his little flip celebration and then disappear in the game and not do anything useful for the next 3 games. Cant believe he wasnt sold in the summer.

Valencia : Has gone off the boil in the past year or so and hasnt really refound his form. Pity as i liked him and thought he could be a great number 7 when he switched numbers. Could be time to cut him loose but wouldnt be unhappy if he stayed as he could re find his form.

Young : Hes very hot and cold, great one game, extremely poor the next..... never really got going last year and hasnt done it this year. Has had his share of injury troubles but I wouldn't mind selling him in Jan or the summer. I also hate his diving antics.

Januzaj : Has potential but think hes being over hyped after 1 or 2 good games. Needs game time to develop and with Nani and Young misfiring, i see no reason as to why he cant get a solid chance. Has potential to be great but so did nani and anderson. He reminds me alot of Kanchelskis.

Kagawa : Needs more games in center. I think hes wasted out on the right or left. Needs a chance to show the form he had that got him noticed by United.

Giggs : Great servant and a legend, But shouldnt be playing unless he have an injury crisis. He is well passed it and shouldn't be playing unless we have no one else.

Welbeck : Another player over hyped by the English media. Hes a hard worker and can do a job in games, no doubt but id have the other 3 forwards playing ahead of him any day.

Rooney : An amazing talent when on form but he needs to step it up and find his form again. Moyes certainly has faith in him and he needs to repay that with performances. Has looks decent so far but can be better.

RVP : Needs better service and he will grab us goals. Wont get it consistently from the current midfield

Hernandez : Great little poacher and always gets himself in decent positions but if he doesnt get the service the can be anonymous in games.

So in summary I see alot of room for improvement from united in defense and midfield. It will be interesting if Moyes and Woodward buy in January and if so, who. I imagine most fans of MUFC will consider January signings paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stop spoiling the book, hard trying to ignore everyone talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RasTa wrote: »
    Stop spoiling the book, hard trying to ignore everyone talking about it.

Hurry up and read it or stay out of football forums would be my advice then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Will be in Manchester this weekend, and from the website it looks like there are no tickets left for the match.

Does anybody have any advice where would be the best place to look for any spare ones going? Not touts if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Will be in Manchester this weekend, and from the website it looks like there are no tickets left for the match.

Does anybody have any advice where would be the best place to look for any spare ones going? Not touts if possible.

Also https://twitter.com/mufc_tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Evra clarifies his "it's personal" quotes on MUTV

my favourite bit:
    "Maybe some people [outside] want me to leave the club but that's not the case... Me? I love this club so much."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Nani : Another player I dont rate. Always makes the wrong decision in games (ie passes when he should shoot and vice versa). Never consistently plays well. he could score a screamer, do his little flip celebration and then disappear in the game and not do anything useful for the next 3 games. Cant believe he wasnt sold in the summer.

Don't rate Nani? I don't rate your rating.

• Advertisement

Don't rate Nani? I don't rate your rating.

How do you see him?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    How do you see him?

As one of the few players on the team who looks like he could win the match with a piece of magic.

He gets booed and jeered for trying tricks and they don't work out. However, he never once gives up and always tries again.

For a player who is so 'inconsistent' he has remarkably good statistics. Sure, he can be very frustrating but not every player is as gifted or as perfect as Messi.

He would be a huge loss if he were to leave. A suitable replacement would not come cheap at all. Likewise with Rooney.

As one of the few players on the team who looks like he could win the match with a piece of magic.

He gets booed and jeered for trying tricks and they don't work out. However, he never once gives up and always tries again.

For a player who is so 'inconsistent' he has remarkably good statistics. Sure, he can be very frustrating but not every player is as gifted or as perfect as Messi.

He would be a huge loss if he were to leave. A suitable replacement would not come cheap at all. Likewise with Rooney.

I do agree he has great close ball control, and can have his "magic" moments, but they are a rarity.

I dont know how many times ive seen him in a great poistion, do the hard work and then either skys it from long range when someones open for pass or hit a woeful cross. He should be much better than he is. I do realise he is not Messi but he had all the potential to be.

Of course replacements wont come cheap but we are Manchester United, we should have money there to spend, especially if we off load Nani.

Would agree a lot with beakerjoes asessment of Nani. Sure he can have a moment of magic but more often than not it will come when we are 2 or 3 up at home. He has a lot of ability but has no brain. Also he is not one you would depend on when youd be needing a goal against quality opposition. He is better than Young but IMO its a toss up between him and Valencia. Dont think anyone was interested in signing Nani and im sure if we were to sell him we would get no more than 12-15m for him

Robson99 wrote: »
    but IMO its a toss up between him and Valencia.

Really?

You would rather have someone who is afraid to use their left foot for anything other than standing on in the team ahead of Nani?

Really?

You would rather have someone who is afraid to use their left foot for anything other than standing on in the team ahead of Nani?

Theres flaws with both players and i wouldnt be upset if new players were sought after this season who could replace both.

Really?

Valencia has his faults to but in the bigger games he is much better at helping out with defensive duties. When it comes to helping out the defence Nani uses both his legs for standing on

Valencia has his faults to but in the bigger games he is much better at helping out with defensive duties. When it comes to helping out the defence Nani uses both his legs for standing on

LOL

Have you ever even watched a match before? I'm beginning to think you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Been busy with work since this morning (well i say work, my boss has me carving a pumpkin for our departments company competition :confused:) but has that Nike deal been confirmed yet?

I though it was a rumor this morning in a tabloid but haven't seen anything solid yet, has any one posted a official link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am thinking similar team as Southampton game but with Kagawa instead of RVP as he is only coming back from a knock and Smalling for Rafael.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Robin start despite that but I think it would be the best to keep RVP for impact if required at some point.

LOL

Have you ever even watched a match before? I'm beginning to think you haven't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That kind of babyish bully boy talk is not required. If you disagree with what I posted then fine come back with a decent and mature response

Been busy with work since this morning (well i say work, my boss has me carving a pumpkin for our departments company competition :confused:) but has that Nike deal been confirmed yet?

I though it was a rumor this morning in a tabloid but haven't seen anything solid yet, has any one posted a official link?

Sorry but the bit in bold reminded me of an episode of the Simpsons when Smithers made Homer mind the bee in the jar.

Were you the HEAD pumpkin carving guy? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

SAF (from the book) on Evans:
    Ferguson says the arrival of that pair did not initially go down well with Evans, who the manager felt had become too comfortable. "Evans, I think, needed a shake," said Ferguson. "He didn't appreciate me signing Jones and Smalling. It caused him to question my opinion of him.

"But he proved himself in his own right and did increasingly well for us. It's always gratifying when a player responds to new arrivals by redoubling his efforts."

That show of character impressed Ferguson, who adds: "Long term, I could imagine a central defence forming around Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans."

Belfast Telegraph

Sacramento wrote: »
    Sorry but the bit in bold reminded me of an episode of the Simpsons when Smithers made Homer mind the bee in the jar.

Were you the HEAD pumpkin carving guy? :P

Haha. I get that feeling too but actually I was nominated as the artistic one in the office (maybe they meant autistic) after every one else took a shot at it and botched the job.

I'll have you know I am attempting to carve the Mona Lisa into one. I was going to try Fergie but I was the only person keen on the idea.

Would agree a lot with beakerjoes asessment of Nani. Sure he can have a moment of magic but more often than not it will come when we are 2 or 3 up at home. He has a lot of ability but has no brain. Also he is not one you would depend on when youd be needing a goal against quality opposition. He is better than Young but IMO its a toss up between him and Valencia. Dont think anyone was interested in signing Nani and im sure if we were to sell him we would get no more than 12-15m for him

You are incorrect. Here's a list I drew up a while ago of Nani's important contributions in games against quality opposition and in games where we were up against it, ie his contribution got the team points they wouldn't have otherwise.

The list stops in September 2012 because that's when I made it.

31-Jan-10 Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd ... Nani with 2 assists
    10-Mar-10 Man Utd 4:0 Milan ... Nani with 1 assist (tbh Milan weren't really a top team in that game)
    03-Apr-10 Man Utd 1:2 Chelsea ... Nani with 1 assist
    07-Apr-10 Man Utd 3:2 Bayern Munich ... Nani with 2 goals
    17-Apr-10 Man City 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    24-Apr-10 Man Utd 3:1 Tottenham ... Nani with 1 goal
    02-May-10 Sunderland 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    08-Aug-10 Chelsea 1:3 Man Utd (Community Shield) ... Nani with 1 assist
    11-Sep-10 Everton 3:3 Man Utd ... Nani with 2 assists
    19-Sep-10 Man Utd 3:2 Liverpool ... Nani with 1 assist
    26-Sep-10 Bolton 2:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist and 1 goal
    16-Oct-10 Man Utd 2:2 West Brom ... Nani with 1 goal
    20-Oct-10 Man Utd 1:0 Bursaspor ... Nani with 1 goal
    30-Oct-10 Man Utd 2:0 Tottenham ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    13-Nov-10 A Villa 2:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    13-Dec-10 Man Utd 1:0 Arsenal ... Nani with 1 assist
    04-Jan-11 Man Utd 2:1 Stoke City ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    05-Feb-11 Wolves 2:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    12-Feb-11 Man Utd 2:1 Man City ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    01-Mar-11 Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    07-Aug-11 Man Utd 3:2 Man City (Community Shield) ... Nani with 2 goals
    28-Aug-11 Man Utd 8:2 Arsenal ... Nani with 1 goal
    18-Sep-11 Man Utd 3:1 Chelsea ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    24-Sep-11 Stoke City 1:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    27-Sep-11 Man Utd 3:3 FC Basel ... Nani with 1 assist
    22-Nov-11 Man Utd 2:2 Benfica ... Nani with 1 assist
    03-Dec-11 A Villa 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    10-Dec-11 Man Utd 4:1 Wolves ... Nani with 2 goals and 1 assist
    31-Dec-11 Man Utd 2:3 Blackburn ... Nani with 1 assist
    26-Feb-12 Norwich C 1:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    22-Apr-12 Man Utd 4:4 Everton ... Nani with 1 goal and 2 assists
    02-Sep-12 Southmptn 2:3 Man Utd... Nani with 1 assist

So now that you can see that you are wrong and that Nani does indeed make his contributions when the team are up against it are you going to reassess your view of him?

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are incorrect.

You should start your Nani list replies with "Let me lay some truth on you son"

and finish by putting on a pair of sunglasses repeating YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
    as you walk triumphantly away from the keyboard.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There should be a video compilation of every minute Valencia has been on the pitch in the last year that people must watch all the way through before criticising Nani.

I just can't comprehend how you could have watched Valencia for the past year and not realise that Nani has shown he's far far superior even in the few games he's played.

You should start your Nani list replies with "Let me lay some truth on you son"

and finish by putting on a pair of sunglasses repeating YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
    as you walk triumphantly away from the keyboard.

:D

WWE style next time!

You are incorrect. Here's a list I drew up a while ago of Nani's important contributions in games against quality opposition and in games where we were up against it, ie his contribution got the team points they wouldn't have otherwise.

The list stops in September 2012 because that's when I made it.

31-Jan-10 Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd ... Nani with 2 assists
    10-Mar-10 Man Utd 4:0 Milan ... Nani with 1 assist (tbh Milan weren't really a top team in that game)
    03-Apr-10 Man Utd 1:2 Chelsea ... Nani with 1 assist
    07-Apr-10 Man Utd 3:2 Bayern Munich ... Nani with 2 goals
    17-Apr-10 Man City 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    24-Apr-10 Man Utd 3:1 Tottenham ... Nani with 1 goal
    02-May-10 Sunderland 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    08-Aug-10 Chelsea 1:3 Man Utd (Community Shield) ... Nani with 1 assist
    11-Sep-10 Everton 3:3 Man Utd ... Nani with 2 assists
    19-Sep-10 Man Utd 3:2 Liverpool ... Nani with 1 assist
    26-Sep-10 Bolton 2:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist and 1 goal
    16-Oct-10 Man Utd 2:2 West Brom ... Nani with 1 goal
    20-Oct-10 Man Utd 1:0 Bursaspor ... Nani with 1 goal
    30-Oct-10 Man Utd 2:0 Tottenham ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    13-Nov-10 A Villa 2:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    13-Dec-10 Man Utd 1:0 Arsenal ... Nani with 1 assist
    04-Jan-11 Man Utd 2:1 Stoke City ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    05-Feb-11 Wolves 2:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    12-Feb-11 Man Utd 2:1 Man City ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    01-Mar-11 Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    07-Aug-11 Man Utd 3:2 Man City (Community Shield) ... Nani with 2 goals
    28-Aug-11 Man Utd 8:2 Arsenal ... Nani with 1 goal
    18-Sep-11 Man Utd 3:1 Chelsea ... Nani with 1 goal and 1 assist
    24-Sep-11 Stoke City 1:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 goal
    27-Sep-11 Man Utd 3:3 FC Basel ... Nani with 1 assist
    22-Nov-11 Man Utd 2:2 Benfica ... Nani with 1 assist
    03-Dec-11 A Villa 0:1 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    10-Dec-11 Man Utd 4:1 Wolves ... Nani with 2 goals and 1 assist
    31-Dec-11 Man Utd 2:3 Blackburn ... Nani with 1 assist
    26-Feb-12 Norwich C 1:2 Man Utd ... Nani with 1 assist
    22-Apr-12 Man Utd 4:4 Everton ... Nani with 1 goal and 2 assists
    02-Sep-12 Southmptn 2:3 Man Utd... Nani with 1 assist

So now that you can see that you are wrong and that Nani does indeed make his contributions when the team are up against it are you going to reassess your view of him?

Fair research and return by you Prof and in fairness there are some important ones there. However he has scored only 3 goals in Europe in over 50 apperances and has only scored 3 goals in his last 25 apperances for united. I am not denying he has ability but IMO he is a lacking a brain

Lets not forget that Valencia played some very good football for us in the period you have highlighted for Nani above. He also has a much better record in europe than Nani. However at the moment hes not producing the goods either.

I actually thought Nani was having one of his better games for us last Sat and was unfairly taken off. Hopefully the penny will drop and he will deliver on a consistant basis. Valencia had a good second half against Real Soc on wed nite. Hopefully he too can get his game back on track because IMO when hes on top form hes very hard to defend against

There should be a video compilation of every minute Valencia has been on the pitch in the last year that people must watch all the way through before criticising Nani.

I just can't comprehend how you could have watched Valencia for the past year and not realise that Nani has shown he's far far superior even in the few games he's played.

In fairness Rayne Nani has not been absolutely setting the world on fire either for the past year and in that time frame Valencia has also been used as cover for right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has Valencia really been right back that often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Fair research and return by you Prof and in fairness there are some important ones there. However he has scored only 3 goals in Europe in over 50 apperances and has only scored 3 goals in his last 25 apperances for united. I am not denying he has ability but IMO he is a lacking a brain

Lets not forget that Valencia played some very good football for us in the period you have highlighted for Nani above. He also has a much better record in europe than Nani. However at the moment hes not producing the goods either.

I actually thought Nani was having one of his better games for us last Sat and was unfairly taken off. Hopefully the penny will drop and he will deliver on a consistant basis. Valencia had a good second half against Real Soc on wed nite. Hopefully he too can get his game back on track because IMO when hes on top form hes very hard to defend against

I'd agree about the brain part! :pac:

Nani is one of the most talented players at United, but he seems to lack the concentration to fulfill his potential.

Also agree that he should not have been replaced with Giggs against Southampton; think the attacking onus left the team with Nani, and from then on Southampton came forward more and almost inevitability scored a goal.

His form over the last year is explained by the fact he hasn't been given consistent starts. He's always needed that in order to produce.

As for your comment about Europe:
    Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

You ignore Rooney's goals in Europe this season when you're criticising him, now you're concentrating on Nani's lack of goals in Europe when you want to have a go at him - it's called confirmation bias and you really need to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Being in there at all is often enough.

No. He has just been shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

3 or 4 times and he has been poor when played their. People seem to use this to back up Valencia when talking about Nani for some reason.

His form over the last year is explained by the fact he hasn't been given consistent starts. He's always needed that in order to produce.

As for your comment about Europe:
    You ignore Rooney's goals in Europe this season when you're criticising him, now you're concentrating on Nani's lack of goals in Europe when you want to have a go at him - it's called confirmation bias and you really need to stop it.

Fair enough we will give Rooney credit for his goals against BLev and his assist last wed. His form as no 10 is still not good enough IMO and Kagawa should be given his chance.

As regards you gif I could same the same with your analysis of Nani which failed to include his return of 3 goals in his last 25 appearances

Fair enough we will give Rooney credit for his goals against BLev and his assist last wed. His form as no 10 is still not good enough IMO and Kagawa should be given his chance.

As regards you gif I could same the same with your analysis of Nani which failed to include his return of 3 goals in his last 25 appearances

I never made a claim about what Nani has done in his last 25 appearances, so it wouldn't be possible for me to move the goal posts on that. You brought that up and I responded to it. That is not moving the goal posts.

You claimed that Nani usually only does it when we are two or three up at home and doesn't do it against quality opposition. When I proved that you were completely wrong on that you started talking about his record in Europe. That is moving the goal posts.

I never made a claim about what Nani has done in his last 25 appearances, so it wouldn't be possible for me to move the goal posts on that. You brought that up and I responded to it. That is not moving the goal posts.

You claimed that Nani usually only does it when we are two or three up at home and doesn't do it against quality opposition. When I proved that you were completely wrong on that you started talking about his record in Europe. That is moving the goal posts.

There are a handful of top teams in England. There are a lot of top teams in Europe. We will agree to disagree on it this time

I do hope he hits top form. We badly need it now as we have only scored 3 goals from play in our 7 league games since beating Swansea and only 1 of those at OT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nani started 7 premier league games last season. 7 out of 38. He started 15 in all competitions. That's shows how rarely he played regular, consecutive games inside his last 25 appearances. He can't produce a good goal to appearance ratio in those circumstances.

Also goals to appearances don't tell a great story on their own when looking at a winger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement