Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Robson99 wrote: »
    There are a handful of top teams in England. There are a lot of top teams in Europe.

You said that Nani generally only produces when we are 2 or 3 up at home and doesn't do it against quality opposition. You were very wrong, but even when it's shown to you you won't admit it.
    We will agree to disagree on it this time

Saying that after you have tried to make a counter point is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Nani started 7 premier league games last season. 7 out of 38. He started 15 in all competitions. That's shows how rarely he played regular, consecutive games inside his last 25 appearances. He can't produce a good goal to appearance ratio in those circumstances.

Also goals to appearances don't tell a great story on their own when looking at a winger.

Would it be possible that the reason he wasnt played more was because his form was very poor??
    I agree there is more to a wingers performance than a goals to appearances ratio. But its not very often that Nani will give a motm performance or even an 8/10 and I certainly have been dissapointed more often than not with his performances

Pro. F wrote: »
    Saying that after you have tried to make a counter point is funny.

I said it in respect of your opinion on him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Would it be possible that the reason he wasnt played more was because his form was very poor??
    I agree there is more to a wingers performance than a goals to appearances ratio. But its not very often that Nani will give a motm performance or even an 8/10 and I certainly have been dissapointed more often than not with his performances

Possible yes, the actual reason? I don't think so. He had injury problems last season and if reports are accurate had an falling out with management over a fight with Petrucci. Non selection and injury impacted on his form, his form was not the reason he didn't get played.

When it mattered and he was needed he got thrown in v Madrid, despite his troubles leading to that game. I think his selection says a lot about his previous performances in big games.

He is not Ronaldo, but that's okay, he is well ahead of Valencia and Young, has proved himself (IMO) capable against elite sides in important matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nani was injured for almost half of last season. he got injured against Braga, and didnt come back until reading in fa cup.

the fact that Ferguson started him a few weeks later against Real tells me enough that it was injury that cost him games last year and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nani debate in numbers. I'm excluding stats for this season for all players as Nani has hardly featured.

Nani

Games: 85 (74 started)

Goals: 21

Assists: 30

0.6 goals/assists a game.

Mata

Games: 34 (29 started)

Goals: 6

Assists: 13

0.55 goals/assists a game.

Silva

Games: 71 (63 started)

Goals: 10

Assists: 22

0.45 goals/assists a game.

Bale (Yes, I know he played as a LB for a while)

Games: 89 (83 started)

Goals: 20

Assists: 17

0.41 goals/assists a game.

Walcott

Games: 86 (68 started)

Goals: 20

Assists: 15

0.40 goals/assists a game.

If you included Bales 20 goals and 4 assists into his past seasons it still only comes in at 0.5 goals/assists a game. Hazard this season came in at 0.58 goals/assists a game.

Overall for Nani, it's not bad for an 'inconsistent player'.

I posted this 5 months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Valencia had a good second half against Real Soc on wed nite. Hopefully he too can get his game back on track because IMO when hes on top form hes very hard to defend against

Is he really though?

He doesn't have any tricks to beat a man bar kick the ball past them or faking to go left and kicking the ball to the right.

He is quite a predictable player. Hard working, but predictable and limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Is he really though?

He doesn't have any tricks to beat a man bar kick the ball past them or faking to go left and kicking the ball to the right.

I love his *stop the ball dead face the player and pass to the right back* trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is he really though?

He is limited but the thing he had before was the confidence to knock a ball past a defender,run onto it & deliver a cross.This went missing since his recovery from injury and he simply passed the ball back to Rafael or knocked it square.His delivery into the box was almost zero and he seemed scared to even try to take on a full back,at least the other night he actually tried to do the stuff that we loved him for.At times he crossed the ball just for the sake of it but at least it was better than watching him reach the 18 yard line and turn around to play a ball backwards.

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    I posted this 5 months back.

May I just ask what time frame the 85 games refers to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I love his *stop the ball dead face the player and pass to the right back* trick.

It's like he's trying to move them with his mind.

Maybe he has superpowers like Magneto but he just hasn't come across a left back yet with metal in their body.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Timmyctc wrote: »

Always works every time :D

zerks wrote: »
    He is limited but the thing he had before was the confidence to knock a ball past a defender,run onto it & deliver a cross.This went missing since his recovery from injury and he simply passed the ball back to Rafael or knocked it square.His delivery into the box was almost zero and he seemed scared to even try to take on a full back,at least the other night he actually tried to do the stuff that we loved him for.At times he crossed the ball just for the sake of it but at least it was better than watching him reach the 18 yard line and turn around to play a ball backwards.

I agree he is limited and his left foot is very poor. But he has the ability to go by players and whip good balls into the box. I also think he has a good understanding with Rafel and covers him much more in games than Nani does. True the injury has taken some of his confidence away but I still would have faith in him

May I just ask what time frame the 85 games refers to ?

All the games he has played for Manchester United.

It's like he's trying to move them with his mind.

Maybe he has superpowers like Magneto but he just hasn't come across a left back yet with metal in their body.

I have yet to see Ashley Cole get the better of Valencia when they have faced one another. And IMO AC is prob the best LB in England over the last 5-6 years

• Advertisement

All the games he has played for Manchester United.

I would imagine Nani has in the region of 200+ games played for Utd

I would imagine Nani has in the region of 200+ games played for Utd

Those statistics are league only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Valencia had his best season for us after his ankle injury. He said something about a back or hip injury hampering his form last season but surely that's sorted now? He hasn't been taking on players and his delivery to the box when he does has mostly been rubbish.

Missing the stoke game tomorrow. I'll be lucky to see half of the games this season at this rate.

Those statistics are league only.

130+ league appearances excluding this season. Thats why I asked what years they referred to

130+ league appearances excluding this season. Thats why I asked what years they referred to

Hmmm it seems he has played 97 games for United in the league up until the time frame I gave. I don't know where the 12 games went.

Anyway, the stats would be skewed marginally from an extra 12 games.

http://espnfc.com/player?id=67716&cc=5739

• Advertisement

Hmmm it seems he has played 97 games for United in the league up until the time frame I gave. I don't know where the 12 games went.

Anyway, the stats would be skewed marginally from an extra 12 games.

http://espnfc.com/player?id=67716&cc=5739

Im not having a dig Keno thats why I was asking what time frame were those stats from. Wiki page says 135 apperances and 26 goals prior to this season

Im not having a dig Keno thats why I was asking what time frame were those stats from. Wiki page says 135 apperances and 26 goals prior to this season

I know yeah, never took it that way.

That post was 5 months ago so by excluding 'this season' I was referring to last season.

ESPN have it as 97 games played before the 2012 season. Guess it's up to who you trust more, ESPN or Wiki.

That post was 5 months ago so by excluding 'this season' I was referring to last season.

ESPN have it as 97 games played before the 2012 season. Guess it's up to who you trust more, ESPN or Wiki.

Neither I guess. Big difference between the two

Mars Bar wrote: »

Missing the stoke game tomorrow. I'll be lucky to see half of the games this season at this rate.

Now on a Friday my missus asks when United are playing over the weekend & if it's on tv.She knows nothing will be done once United are playing.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There should be a video compilation of every minute Valencia has been on the pitch in the last year that people must watch all the way through

I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Neither I guess. Big difference between the two

Nani has played 139 games in the PL.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/nani/leistungsdaten-vereindetail/spieler_33706_985.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had a dream last night......

I was watching Sky Sports news they where interviewing a few different managers and football players from the premier league.

David Moyes was there.....

Anyway the conversation changed to him and it came out that loads of managers didnt like him infact it turned out most of the united players didnt either half of the team turned on him right there live on tv and Vidic walked out!.

There was more to it then that i cant remember the conversations and such but it was a really vivid dream i woke up and felt **** did that actually just happen!. I even went and switched on the telly to check :P.

So ya it was just a dream and everyone still likes him for now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So ya it was just a dream and everyone still likes him for now....

You haven't been reading this thread lately so. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Some threads on this site really do appeal to the lowest common denominator

Feedback thread is closed but surely there has been plenty of "abuse" in that thread today.

I remember in the Ireland game thread the mods gave out cards for people giving Whelan a bit of stick but there's been personal abuse directed at Fergie almost all day in that other :rolleyes: thread.

It's gotten way out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Feedback thread is closed but surely there has been plenty of "abuse" in that thread today.

I remember in the Ireland game thread the mods gave out cards for people giving Whelan a bit of stick but there's been personal abuse directed at Fergie almost all day in that other :rolleyes: thread.

Who said what now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Feedback thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I honestly don't understand that place, it's such a circle jerk at times. There's a bunch of good posters like Kess and Ade in there but as soon as anything critical towards the majority is said in there they go on the extreme defensive point scoring thanks whoring shtick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oh. It's that thread.
    Not worth the hassle IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Strange looking symbol in the newsletter...

277701.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Eathrin wrote: »
    Strange looking symbol in the newsletter...

277701.jpg

Yeah, I think that might need changing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You were talking some amount of bollocks in that thread today. Arguing the difference between "top" and "top, top", made a complete fool of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

zerks wrote: »

People don't need facts to take a pop at Fergie, do you not realise this?

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    People don't need facts to take a pop at Fergie, do you not realise this?

Even in retirement he still manages to cause outrage among the scousers:pac:

book-burning.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Those anyone remember the football we played for the first 6 or so games of 2011/2012 season , we were like barca on drugs at the time . Then we got hammered by city and ferguson went more defensive , it was a very pressing style and cleverley and Anderson looked like works beaters , b Dortmund seem to play this way but at the sane time be hard to break down

Today I'd love to see this team

Rafael Jones Evans. Evra

Carrick

cleverly-fellaini-januzai

kagawa

rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I really really really really hope Kagawa starts today, and if he does fingers crossed he will get the opportunity to show why he should remain there.
    If we start Valencia at home today ahead of the likes of Nani/Kagawa/Adnan I think I might just cry a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really hope RVP is rested today after missing the game midweek. Be great to see Kagawa and Rooney both played in their best positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I hope you got up first thing to post in that feedback thread this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Fabregas on the summer transfer saga
    You talk fondly of your time in England and this summer there was an opportunity to return. Were you tempted to go to Manchester United or would you only go back to play for Arsenal?

I don't know. But I never planned to go back this summer. It's not something I was even thinking about. I was always clear in my mind that I want to succeed at Barcelona and I'd give everything to triumph here. I said openly: I haven't even thought about leaving, I'm not going. I heard about it when I was in Ibiza with friends. A friend read it in the paper and told me, then I read it …

Did you call the club and say: "Hey, what's going on?"

No, no, no. When I heard, I contacted Darren [Dein, my agent] and he confirmed that it had come out officially. He said: "Yes, it's true." He said: "What do you want to do?" I didn't know anything about it [until then]. If a club comes in for you and you tell your representative that you want to go, then you go. I spoke to [Josep Maria] Bartomeu, the vice-president, and he told me: "You're not going anywhere; we have complete confidence in you." Then I spoke to the president. I was very relaxed about the whole thing because that's what they transmitted to me. It's true that they had offers, and they told me that, but the only thing in my head was staying at Barcelona.

How do you explain the fact that United seemed so convinced? That conviction must have come from somewhere.

At no time did I say that I wanted to go and I stayed out of it. I was surprised. I didn't encourage them at all.

The only thing in his and Barca's head was him staying at Barca. Puts an end to some of the guesswork around the situation.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/25/cesc-fabregas-manchester-united-barcelona

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    You were talking some amount of bollocks in that thread today. Arguing the difference between "top" and "top, top", made a complete fool of yourself.

You seriously don't see the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I hate the term 'top, top' to refer to footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Are we on Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1, the UPC guide is a cod...I'm sure I saw online that it was Ireland...would prefer not to have to go to the pub early....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I hate the term 'top, top' to refer to footballers.

I blame the Redknapps. It's a retarded term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

ericzeking wrote: »
    Are we on Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1, the UPC guide is a cod...I'm sure I saw online that it was Ireland...would prefer not to have to go to the pub early....

Setanta Sports 1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement