Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

master-t wrote: »
    For me it seems quite clear.

- United made an enquiry, but didn't agree on a fee
    - This leads to the fact that without agreeing a fee, we couldn't 'speak' to Herrara, henc did not agree terms
    - He is saying he was flattered that one of the biggest clubs in the world were asking about him
    - He is not requesting a move to force it through
    - He is leaving the door open for us to return, if we meet his release fee

How much of it can you take as true though. It is a press conference, good chance part of what he says is lies. Players lie all the time.

Have read a number of journo's say that not only was a contract agreed, it was agreed a second time with Herrera reducing his demands.

However, that could be considered illegal tapping up as we didn't agree a fee so him saying he never spoke to United or agreed a contract maintain a nice public legally allowable line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's an obvious point but what happens in January will depend on how we go between now and then. If Fellaini does the job and shores up the midfield we can approach potential signings with a more 'take it or leave it' attitude.

If we're still struggling we could be going through this nonsense all over again.

I think we'll be ok and I could wait til the summer to get another midfielder if it means it's done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

markc1184 wrote: »
    Uniteds Champions league squad announced. No Januzaj in it which has led to some jumping the gun and proclaiming talks have broken down over his contract.

Or maybe because he is under 23? Do you have to name players, who are under 23 years old and trained from the Academy in the official squad?

Uniteds Champions league squad announced. No Januzaj in it which has led to some jumping the gun and proclaiming talks have broken down over his contract.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52682/squad/index.html

He qualifies for the B list- so no need to place him on the A list. Can be added to the B list prior to midnight the day before a game.

How much of it can you take as true though. It is a press conference, good chance part of what he says is lies. Players lie all the time.

Have read a number of journo's say that not only was a contract agreed, it was agreed a second time with Herrera reducing his demands.

However, that could be considered illegal tapping up as we didn't agree a fee so him saying he never spoke to United or agreed a contract maintain a nice public legally allowable line.

I would think Journos lie alot more than players though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Or maybe because he is under 23? Do you have to name players, who are under 23 years old and trained from the Academy in the official squad?

Others are saying he can be named as a B list player the day before a match, its just funny seeing some blow their lids thinking his contract hasn't been sorted because he isn't named on that list.

Rule is can be put on the B list if born after Jan 1st 1992, and has been registered at the club for 2 years (uninterupted) since the age of 15.

Others are saying he can be named as a B list player the day before a match, its just funny seeing some blow their lids thinking his contract hasn't been sorted because he isn't named on that list.

Well, until it is signed and confirmed, I would be a little bit anxious too. I wouldn't read much into not being named in the CL squad though myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Zico wrote: »
    You couldn't blame RVP for wondering if he'd jumped from the frying pan into the fire after the shambles of the last few weeks. Arsenal never looked this incompetent.

I'm worried and they don't even pay my wages.

In the last 4 months he has lifted the same amount of trophies for united that he did for arsenal in 9 years

so far we've beaten
    swansea 4-1
    Drew with chelsea 0-0 with them deciding to park the bus
    Lost to Liverpool at Anfield where we havent played well at in a few years while we were missing 3 starters (I include Nani in this)

Last year we lost to everton, won at fulham and barely beat southampton

Its not like were in a battle for relegation

• Advertisement

I would think Journos lie alot more than players though?

Fair enough. You go with what you believe is the reality of the situation, and I will go with mine.

Would you not consider it odd that United would not have spoken to him considering the bid didn't break down til late monday. What if he didn't want to join, or we couldn't agree a contract within the 2 hours we'd have had available.

You think Everton accepted an offer close to 11pm and we then negotiated a contract with Fellaini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yup.

RVP is definitely leaving. he hates it at Utd. Ed Woodward drives him nuts. his actions make his life a misery, and don't get me started on how he feels about David Moyes. he didn't sign up for that. he signed up for Fergie, and the last 2 weeks have compounded everything.

done deal.

see ya RVP.

lol.gif

Blatter wrote: »
    Is this meant to be some sort of joke?

Nope. I can't think of an episode they had which compared to the Herrera fiasco alone never mind the Fellaini snafu.

I'll retract and apologise if you give me an example of where they screwed up worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

So, less for Khedira than people wanted to pay for Baines? Its a strange world we live in.

Where do you even start with this one? Anderson and Hargreaves were not signed in the last six years (May 2007). Powell and Pogba were kids with about two performances between them, might as well include any kid who got a trial contract over the last few years.

Jones and Kagawa? They are not midfielders, but then you already know that.

Klopp on Kagawa: "Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw."

Jones played most of his last season at Blackburn in midfield. "Asked how much work he had to do with Jones to prepare him for playing in midfield, Allardyce said: "Not a lot. If you are a natural, you are a natural."

Nope. I can't think of an episode they had which compared to the Herrera fiasco alone never mind the Fellaini snafu.

I'll retract and apologise if you give me an example of where they screwed up worse?

Higuain and Suarez were pretty poor transfer pushes for them. That is just from this summer.

Fair enough. You go with what you believe is the reality of the situation, and I will go with mine.

Would you not consider it odd that United would not have spoken to him considering the bid didn't break down til late monday. What if he didn't want to join, or we couldn't agree a contract within the 2 hours we'd have had available.

You think Everton accepted an offer close to 11pm and we then negotiated a contract with Fellaini?

Well no, The Media are making it out like we signed Fellaini and 10:59pm. I don't believe this at all. The deal was done and dusted, waiting on Everton to wrap up their deals. I believe when Fellaini drive into Evertons ground at about 8pm he was saying goodbye as opposed to - I want to leave.

• Advertisement

Bilbao would like to keep it on the quiet that they allowed a player to talk to a club. i dont believe for 1 second United talked to Herrera without the clubs permission as they would have us done for tapping up.

Herrera would also deny contact as Bilbao fans would turn on him and the club fairly quickly

Bilbao fans are very concerned about the clubs inability to hold onto players esp given they can only take on Basque players . the Martinez deal was a minefield because of this where Bilbao did not want to be seen losing a player so easily

Everyone is lying to some extend but this is always hapening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Klopp on Kagawa: "Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw."

Jones played most of his last season at Blackburn in midfield. "Asked how much work he had to do with Jones to prepare him for playing in midfield, Allardyce said: "Not a lot. If you are a natural, you are a natural."

Klopps quote is clearly lost in translation, and if Jones has to "prepare" to play in midfield, it means he's not a midfielder?

Well no, The Media are making it out like we signed Fellaini and 10:59pm. I don't believe this at all. The deal was done and dusted, waiting on Everton to wrap up their deals. I believe when Fellaini drive into Evertons ground at about 8pm he was saying goodbye as opposed to - I want to leave.

So we only started negotiations on Fellaini's contract at 8pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'll just leave this here.

SAF coming to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He said Fellaini was at Everton's ground to say goodbye at 8pm so that would imply that the whole deal was signed, sealed and delivered before 8pm.

• Advertisement

Higuain and Suarez were pretty poor transfer pushes for them. That is just from this summer.

And we missed out on Thiago and Fabregas similarly. Missed out on Sneijder two years ago because we wouldn't pay his wages, then bought RVP in contradiction to the same policy. These things happen, you may not like them but they don't leave the rest of the world laughing at the club.

I didn't say that either. I think the Fellaini deal was done that day, or even before it. I don't know what time they started dishing out his contract etc. I just think Everton wanted to get signings in the door before it was confirmed.

The reason I think it's a little different to the Herrara case is because with Herrara it was never as clear cut. I would imagine United were well aware of how much he earns and what package they would put together. Agreeing on a contract, to me, is not that difficult. Request, Opening offer, counter request, counter offer.......agreement. :)

I just think sometimes it suits the media to say we had an agreement in place, squad number assigned...........then f**ed it up. I don't believe it to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Holloway received a two game touch line ban...glad he won't be able to have a moan at the officials at OT on the 14th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'll just leave this here.

SAF coming to Dublin.

Quote please. Stupid ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We should be playing hard ball with these young players. He should be honoured just to be at the club, if he won't sign the contract he is offered then he can just sit on the sidelines until he either signs or leaves. What, does he think he is good enough for a top Italian side or something? Hah, we don't need him...:pac:

You think you are making a point, but you really aren't. If you want to think Jones and Kagawa are central midfielders then you go right ahead and think that.

And we missed out on Thiago and Fabregas similarly. Missed out on Sneijder two years ago because we wouldn't pay his wages, then bought RVP in contradiction to the same policy. These things happen, you may not like them but they don't leave the rest of the world laughing at the club.

Sneijder isnt worth the wages he was on at inter, they tried to renegotiate his contract on occassions and is playing in the turkish leaague for a reason

RVP is worth his wages and proved it time and time again with arsenal

LOL 99% of clubs in europe would kill to be in our position, and as for laughing stock the only people writing us off are ABU's and the media who've been saying we've been in decline now for 15 odd years despite the fact the total amount of points we've lost the league by since 06 is 1pt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

On the new Fergie autobiography, can anyone tell me when his last one was out. Pre-Keane leaving wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

On the new Fergie autobiography, can anyone tell me when his last one was out. Pre-Keane leaving wasn't it?

99?? after the treble i think

2000 iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

bullvine wrote: »
    99?? after the treble i think

Oh didn't realise it was that long ago. Might hold off on pre-ordering it until a few excerpts are released, doubt we'll get too much info on recent events like Rooney and his real thoughts on the owners while he's still involved in the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

We should be playing hard ball with these young players. He should be honoured just to be at the club, if he won't sign the contract he is offered then he can just sit on the sidelines until he either signs or leaves. What, does he think he is good enough for a top Italian side or something? Hah, we don't need him...:pac:

You think you are making a point, but you really aren't. If you want to think Jones and Kagawa are central midfielders then you go right ahead and think that.

:o You think you know better than Klopp, but you really don't! You go right ahead and think that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RasTa wrote: »
    Quote please. Stupid ipad

Here you go:
    FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED manager Alex Ferguson will release his second autobiography next month and a promotional trip to Dublin will follow soon after.

The cover of the forthcoming book was revealed today along with a list of five promotional dates where Ferguson, 71, will be ‘in conversation’ with a host.
    The tour will conclude in Dublin on 8 November where Sky‘s Eamonn Holmes will host at The Convention Centre on North Wall Quay. The BBC’s Dan Walker and Dougie Donnelly are the men chosen to host some of the other events.
    Though his face has adorned many biographies, The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Hayward has ghost-written Ferguson’s second autobiography, 14 years after ‘Managing My Life’.

Simply titled ‘My Autobiography’, the book will be released on 23 October, and a statement released with the cover image today says:
    “Sir Alex has been reflecting on and jotting down the highlights of his quite extraordinary career for the last four years. In his new book he will reflect on his almost 27 years at Manchester United. It is a story that promises to reveal, entertain and inspire.”

Tickets for the Dublin event will go on sale from Easons.com from 17 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

This may sound completely ridiculous, and maybe it is but I see that Momo Sissoko has been released from PSG. Lets get past the whole used to play for Liverpool thing but would he be a decent acquisition to the squad for a season maybe. Free which is good and can't imagine his wages are that high either. Could plug another hole even as a back-up.

I haven't really followed his career for a while and wiki said he only made 3 leagues appearances last year but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm not saying there's even any slight rumour about it or that it would be a good thing but simply asking if anyone who is more aware of his recent performances would it be a half decent outside the box deal for a season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This may sound completely ridiculous, and maybe it is but I see that Momo Sissoko has been released from PSG. Lets get past the whole used to play for Liverpool thing but would he be a decent acquisition to the squad for a season maybe. Free which is good and can't imagine his wages are that high either. Could plug another hole even as a back-up.

I haven't really followed his career for a while and wiki said he only made 3 leagues appearances last year but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm not saying there's even any slight rumour about it or that it would be a good thing but simply asking if anyone who is more aware of his recent performances would it be a half decent outside the box deal for a season?

Is he CM or CB? can't remember....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He's a defensive mid and is a free agent. I would love to see him brought in. If Carrick or Fellaini got injured, at least you someone who can hold up play in midfield. He's only 28, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Was he not released so he could complete a move to a club PSG had been talking to on deadline day? Cant remember which club but read that talks were going well but time was a factor so they terminated the contract to make him a free agent.

Edit: Club was Reading

Was he not released so he could complete a move to a club PSG had been talking to on deadline day? Cant remember which club but read that talks were going well but time was a factor so they terminated the contract to make him a free agent.

I saw on SSN that he was in talks with Reading but I'm sure if United sent in a call it'd be an easy decision :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is this how far we've fallen?

Is this how far we've fallen?

No, we're not the club... we're just chatting hypothetical situations is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think the pressure will really be on Moyes for the City game

1 point from the Chelsea and Pool games, the top teams we've played so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lined up like this, a defensive minded midfield and hoping Rooney and RVP nick something.

Valencia Carrick Fellaini Giggs
    Rooney
    RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Please no more Giggs for these games!

No, we're not the club... we're just chatting hypothetical situations is all.
    Have we got to the desperate stage as fans that we are discussing hijacking a Championship clubs target, a failed Premier League player, someone who has had next to no game time for a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That said I really hope we try out something new at Palace.

I think the pressure will really be on Moyes for the City game

1 point from the Chelsea and Pool games, the top teams we've played so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lined up like this, a defensive minded midfield and hoping Rooney and RVP nick something.

Valencia Carrick Fellaini Giggs
    Rooney
    RVP

Val/Young Carrick Fellaiini Nani
    Rooney (if fit) or Kagawa
    RVP

a good performance and a point is the minimum imo but i wouldnt mind a win of any sort tbh

Have we got to the desperate stage as fans that we are discussing hijacking a Championship clubs target, a failed Premier League player, someone who has had next to no game time for a year?

No one is desperate, as you put it. One guy asked a hypothetical question, no need to have an aneurysm.

• Advertisement

That said I really hope we try out something new at Palace.

Would love, fitness depending, to see a full strength team as everyone was posting yesterday - then with a bench of Lindegard, Fabio, Evans, Anderson, Zaha, Hernandez, Welbeck

No one is desperate, as you put it. One guy asked a hypothetical question, no need to have an aneurysm.
    I'm not, I just find it bizarre to even contemplate it.

I was just asking a question. I'm not desperate, I merely wondered what the story was with him. What harm would it do to have a back-up midfielder in the squad for a season at a very low cost. Nowhere did I proclaim he would be the answer to any of our real problems, just could be a better option than deploying Giggs in CM if an injury crisis took place. That's not an unreasonable question to put to the thread is it?

I'm not, I just find it bizarre to even contemplate it.

Ok, some would argue that Sissokho is a better fallback option for DM/CM than Jones is.

I wouldn't though.

in fairness hes a free agent who has experience no harm to look into him as a backup its another option to what we have

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement