Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

fastest/best selling sports book ever apparently.

took at look at it over the weekend and the pages i read were about Ronaldinho. a £19million euro fee was agreed for signing him which was being funded by Beckhams sale.

there is a really interesting piece about beckham:
    it explains how he never believed he was wrong, he never even believed that he had a bad game, couldn't take criticism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Flights are dirt cheap at the moment if any of you are planning games in the next 2 months.

i just booked 2 more games there, in and out of manchester for €80...4 flights, €20 each....cant beat that and its well affordable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really don't understand what Moyes has done with him this season.

In fairness, he's had more game time under Moyes this season than he had under Fergie last season.

There's obviously a belief in the camp that he's not up to much given Fergie offloaded him to QPR last year and Moyes has so publicly sought a new left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

In fairness, he's had more game time under Moyes this season than he had under Fergie last season.

There's obviously a belief in the camp that he's not up to much given Fergie offloaded him to QPR last year and Moyes has so publicly sought a new left back.

Which is insane since when he was in the team regularly he held his place and started a CL final for us!

He needs to play and he needs to steer clear of injuries, same as his brother who has turned himself into a fine right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Manchester United are tracking Roma's exciting young midfielder Miralem Pjanic and are expected to make a £25 million move for the Bosnia international in January.

Pjanic has been superb for Roma, who are top of Serie A with nine straight wins, and United scouts have been watching one of Europe's emerging stars regularly. They have given glowing reports to manager David Moyes, who has made the signing of a creative midfielder his main priority in 2014.

United may have to pay more than £25m for Pjanic as Roma are adamant they do not want to sell midway through a remarkable campaign. The 23 year-old has been at the heart of a three-man midfield alongside another of Manchester United's former targets, Daniele De Rossi and Kevin Strootman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10414147/Manchester-United-eye-Romas-Miralem-Pjanic-for-25m.html

Wolfsburg are interested in Kagawa & rumours of Anderson going to Porto on loan for 6 months before a permanent move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Januzaj ran the show behind Hernandez. Give him another year and all hope of Rooney or Shinji playing in the hole are gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Januzaj ran the show behind Hernandez. Give him another year and all hope of Rooney or Shinji playing in the hole are gone!

I thought he looked more comfortable coming from the wing last night rather than through the middle

(dont get me wrong, he was cracking through the middle, but looked more comfortable when pushed outside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pjanic's natural position is the same as Kagawa's and I'd still rate Kagawa the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pjanic's natural position is the same as Kagawa's and I'd still rate Kagawa the better player.

What is Pjanic's workrate in terms of tracking back and getting stuck in?

Also, can he play wide - similar to Januzaj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-target-sporting-lisbon-youngster-13100162302

What about this lad,hearing he has also changed agents to Mr. Mendes as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really thought last night was perfect to give Kagawa a chance to play in his best position. But at least it looks like he is now in Moyes plans even if out on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Really thought last night was perfect to give Kagawa a chance to play in his best position. But at least it looks like he is now in Moyes plans even if out on the left.

He looks lost on the left though. I'm surprised Zaha hasn't been given more chances considering the other wingers displays this season.

Zaha isn't ready either, I would send him on loan though rather then have him play for the under 21's

What is Pjanic's workrate in terms of tracking back and getting stuck in?

Also, can he play wide - similar to Januzaj?

Tracking back is excellent but I'd say that's more of the philosophy at Roma these days, they work pretty hard in that midfield 3 of Strootman(*tear), Rossi, and Pjanic. Roma are on fire at the minute.

He can play wide and has done on occasion but Roma play a formation similar to Arsenal, 4-3-3, with Rossi playing in the Arteta position, Strootman on the left with a little more attacking freedom, then Pjanic on the right who tries to get forward and create.

Buying him would be pretty pointless just to play right wing in our current setup IMO, unless we change from the out and out wingers.

RVP
    Kagawa/Jan Rooney Pjanic

Klopp signed a two year contract extension this morning keeping him at Dortmund until 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tracking back is excellent but I'd say that's more of the philosophy at Roma these days, they work pretty hard in that midfield 3 of Strootman(*tear), Rossi, and Pjanic. Roma are on fire at the minute.

He can play wide and has done on occasion but Roma play a formation similar to Arsenal, 4-3-3, with Rossi playing in the Arteta position, Strootman on the left with a little more attacking freedom, then Pjanic on the right who tries to get forward and create.

Buying him would be pretty pointless just to play right wing in our current setup IMO, unless we change from the out and out wingers.

RVP
    Kagawa/Jan Rooney Pjanic

We could play Pjanic in a midfield 3 with Clev and Carrick, and not be over run in midfield for the first time since Keane. Then let Rooney, RVP and Kagawa/Januzaj go nuts up front.

Sounds ideal to me. Also... Pjanic was on "the list" :pac: However I don't think anyone will want to leave Roma anytime soon. 9 wins from 9 and only 1 goal conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't get this Zaha is not ready at all. He was equally impressive along with Janjuaz on pre season. I am not using pre season as a measure of a player but he looked exciting and a little raw. With the performances of our wingers i am amazed last night was his first game and i thought he done well. He showed more than Young has all season and it was nice to see a winger pick out a man with a cross. He is not the finished article but considering out wingers form it would be a bad idea to loan him out. I would rather see him stay around and be a squad player he is more than good enough to be back up and play 20+ games this season.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't get this Zaha is not ready at all. He was equally impressive along with Janjuaz on pre season. I am not using pre season as a measure of a player but he looked exciting and a little raw. With the performances of our wingers i am amazed last night was his first game and i thought he done well. He showed more than Young has all season and it was nice to see a winger pick out a man with a cross. He is not the finished article but considering out wingers form it would be a bad idea to loan him out. I would rather see him stay around and be a squad player he is more than good enough to be back up and play 20+ games this season.

Spot on! Nani/ Young / Valencia havent stepped up this season. Zaha, who is still developing and far from the finished product, should be given the same chance to step up like Jan has been given.

He is extremely raw and Moyes has to win games right now, if he had gotten off to a better start it might be easier to be blooding Zaha, but it isn't. He is not ready to play as well as Jan, neither are responsible enough tactically yet to play together it would put the team under too much pressure and obviously Adnan has shown more to Moyes or he just favours him more.

Despite the continual creaming over most things Jan does he is not (yet) the second coming. He takes too long on the ball at times, he isn't aware of his defensive duties at times, he tries a fancy pass too often when a simple pass would do etc etc etc

I like the kid, but I haven't managed to get carried away, I am amazed at the progress he has made in the last 12-16 months though!

To play two players who are too raw for regular first team football would be handicapping the team a bit much considering the pressure Moyes is under to get results and grind out wins

Our wingers have been poor, but I can see the reluctance to put both the kids in the team at the same time when we look so fragile in midfield

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    We could play Pjanic in a midfield 3 with Clev and Carrick, and not be over run in midfield for the first time since Keane. Then let Rooney, RVP and Kagawa/Januzaj go nuts up front.

Sounds ideal to me. Also... Pjanic was on "the list" :pac: However I don't think anyone will want to leave Roma anytime soon. 9 wins from 9 and only 1 goal conceded.

Depends, is Cleverley meant to be Xavi or Iniesta in this Barca-esque formation? :pac:

Yeah it sounds good in theory, whether we can pull it off is another. I still think 4-2-3-1 is the way to go in the PL, Europe we could well use the 4-3-3 type.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Spot on! Nani/ Young / Valencia havent stepped up this season. Zaha, who is still developing and far from the finished product, should be given the same chance to step up like Jan has been given.

So you would be ok with the Villa model per say, play the young guys, watch the inexperience and rawness cost you many many points over the season with the hope that the future will be brighter for it?

May work well at some clubs but Moyes has to find the balance between continual victory and blooding new talent. Its not easy and he would be under severe pressure if he started playing Jan on the left Zaha on the right and leaving Carrick again as the only thing protecting the defense, which looks anything but solid thus far

In an ideal world it would be nice to think United fans would accept and the club could afford, to gamble all the time and throw the youngsters in a little bit before they are ready. Somehow I doubt it would happen though

I see the reasoning, though I do hope Zaha gets to see more playing time obviously. You cant develop without it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No way. I appreciate the caution, but it's absolutely clear that Adnan Januzaj is not only more talented, but more mentally tough than any other option we have. It didn't do Ryan Giggs any harm having a big role in the first team as a teenager, and Adnan has earned his. He only played 30 mins against Stoke too, and it was no coincidence that those were the 30 mins in which we won the match.

I agree with you 110% but I believe that the game back then wasn't as physically demanding as it is now, you could burn a young player out very easily, sterling springs to mind, I think Moyes may have looked at the Stoke game as a big physical test and left it for him to come on and influence the game when stoke were a little tired and couldn't be as physically aggressive towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

seeing the talk of the Roma lad.

Bit odd Roma are on a fierce winning streak at the moment. Bit weird so much being made of their midfield...wonder whose in there....

oh yeah..the guy we seemingly cooled our interest in

I need to find that post from last year, and this summer, where I said missing out on Strootman would be a massive mistake.... : /

why the club didn't just buy Strootman I'll never know, even if he turned out to be a disaster the fee was really insignificant.

why the club didn't just buy Strootman I'll never know, even if he turned out to be a disaster the fee was really insignificant.

Yup, and to be fair, regardless of "how he might have turned out " 15m for a Holland international, captain of the under 21 side and future captain of the national side, it really was a no brainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Was there anything actual definitive on Strootman and United, other than "Everyone knows..." nonsense?

Was there anything actual definitive on Strootman and United, other than "Everyone knows..." nonsense?

I agree, I never believed we were actually after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is Raheem Stirling really burnt out or is he just not as good as we were lead to believe or does he have atitude/behavioural problems (think I read something to this effect)??

I say let Adnan play, obviously there has to be some caution but there is no point holding him back, it is the mark of a great player when they break through at his age so let him flourish.

And there may be more games but there is also alot less tackling/kicking than there was in Giggs' day.

I agree, I never believed we were actually after him.

PSV chairman confirmed United had been looking into him for a bit, and had failed to meet their evaluation. Roma also confirmed they believed to have competition with United.

The bid was rumoured at €12m with PSV holding for €15m.

Roma came in with bid rumoured to be €19m including addons

Strootman's stats for Roma thus far.

Played 8, won 8, 1 goal, 5 assists.

WCQ for Holland this year

PLayed 3, won 3, scored 1, assist.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    Is Raheem Stirling really burnt out or is he just not as good as we were lead to believe or does he have atitude/behavioural problems (think I read something to this effect)??

I say let Adnan play, obviously there has to be some caution but there is no point holding him back, it is the mark of a great player when they break through at his age so let him flourish.

And there may be more games but there is also alot less tackling/kicking than there was in Giggs' day.

Sterling was overhype to the max, compiled with the fact he was able to play for England.

The lad has a serious amount of personal issues to be dealt with off the field, and on the field he just got burnt out last year. I think he's similar to Zaha in a sense they both have raw pace and trickery, but no clue how to carve chances, or decision making. That comes in time.

Sterling was forced into the mix by Rodgers in a sense that Liverpool hadn't got many options.

I'm more then happy with how we are handling our youngsters, and I trust Moyes in this. Look at Barkley now for example. Moyes knew he was there, and a good player. But most likely also knew when he came into the team the media would be spunking over him to play for England, as they are now.

Martinez has done nothing but select him, Moyes prepared him. As he did with Rooney, and a host of other youngsters.

The utilisation of Adnan has been clever, few minutes here and there, a start in a low profile game. The danger is putting a young guy in starting a few games, and when they inevitable wander or hit fatigue, their removal hits them harder. As it's more directly a result of " poorer performance".

Using him correctly, makes not using him easier. And causes less of a fuss, which is vital to younger players in keeping their confidence and development.

I don't understand the complaints for Zaha, he simply isn't good enough to be ahead of Nani or Valencia. It's easy to shine in a team like Palace, let's not forget that please.

Young players are for the future, and they all develop at different rates and times. I didn't expect Zaha to feature much, and to be fair he has been given six months to have a feel for the club and first team, to be re-evaluated in January.

If he was blistering and amazing, he would be playing and featuring. I think that his final decision and general decision making, is probably whats keeping him out of the picture.

I don't subject myself to rush in new young players, but with proper care, making it a relatively seemless transition, is much better for all parties concerned.

TheDoc wrote: »
    PSV chairman confirmed United had been looking into him for a bit, and had failed to meet their evaluation. Roma also confirmed they believed to have competition with United.

I never saw any such story from a reputable source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

kryogen wrote: »
    He is extremely raw and Moyes has to win games right now, if he had gotten off to a better start it might be easier to be blooding Zaha, but it isn't. He is not ready to play as well as Jan, neither are responsible enough tactically yet to play together it would put the team under too much pressure and obviously Adnan has shown more to Moyes or he just favours him more.

As opposed to Valencia who tactically was miles off against City when Kolorov was the creator of 2-3 of the goals from the left side when he didn't track him?

If a player is not playing well enough theyn you can't keep persisting with them as we're doing with Nani, Valencia and Young. Despite their age, Zaha and Januzaj IMO should be given a chance together, or at least Zaha should get a shot on one wing with a more senior winger on the other. We have some fantastic young attacking options and they should be used in the Premier League at home more often. It's not like Zaha is a kid out of the youths - he has 3 years of first team football at Palace under his belt and is almost 21.

Only thing that's frustrating me about Moyes style of play so far, whether its by design or due to personnel, is that every attack we have seems to go wide rather than trying to create things through the middle. It becomes very easy to deal with for the opposition - stay narrow and have two big center halfs that will beat Rooney and RVP in the air (that's if our wingers actually put the ball in a decent area rather than hit the first defender or put it in the stand).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Any space between the full back and centre half at all and Adnan will hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Thankfully, a lot of the players won't shoot. We put it wide and cross it in. Shoot more ffs

ericzeking wrote: »

Having enough kids to fill a creche at his age is wearing him out.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Having enough kids to fill a creche at his age is wearing him out.

Or you could actually look up the facts that he has one child called Melody Rose to a girl he had a brief relationship with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Or you could actually look up the facts that he has one child called Melody Rose to a girl he had a brief relationship with.

I thought it was 3!

I thought it was 3!

I could of sworn the had more than one.

I did hear a rumour he had 5 but never believed it.

or you could grow the feck up and leave a joke alone.

I thought it was 3!

It's one kid, the 1st search in google can confirm this, with quotes from the player himself.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/just-many-kids-raheem-sterling-got-112440546.html

• Advertisement

or you could grow the feck up and leave a joke alone.

Why? in the context of the discussion its easily construed to be anything other than a joke, its the exact bait that will bring 20 fans in here to derail the thread for another week.

It's one kid, the 1st search in google can confirm this, with quotes from the player himself.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/just-many-kids-raheem-sterling-got-112440546.html

Well .... thats that then!

I can still slag him off though to those oblivious of that fact though so im ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

He must have gone to Maury

dance.gif

Look who LFC TV have as a new host:

article-2479852-1912B31E00000578-702_634x1070.jpg

Not sure what Rosanna Davison knows about football (many said the same about Downing)

Not sure what Rosanna Davison knows about football (many said the same about Downing)

Shes an awful yoke!

If i wanna watch porn, ill go to porn hub,

If i want decent presenting i wouldn't be going near LFC channel if i was a pool fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That's got what to do with us exactly?

Shes an awful yoke!

Yep....right...ok.

That's got what to do with us exactly?

I really don't think a more legitimate reason is needed for the pic. the pic is reason enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hot wimmens are always welcome in this thread. Always!

You couldn't pay me enough to watch that channel with her fully clothed, talking.

If she was like the above at least you could put it on mute and not have to listen to the nonsense she comes out with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement