Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fabio Coentrao was crushed and had to be consoled by Nani and Ronaldo after his move to Man Utd collapsed. [TalkSport] #MUFC

Hopefully we can snatch him in January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

NTMK wrote: »
    Val/Young Carrick Fellaiini Nani
    Rooney (if fit) or Kagawa
    RVP

a good performance and a point is the minimum imo but i wouldnt mind a win of any sort tbh

1 point from City, Chelsea and Pool would be worrying really. 2 is an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hopefully we can snatch him in January!

It is kinda funny though.... "Its not fair you g-g-g-g-g-uys(sob).... I've to stay in Madr(sob)id and fight for a place with Mac-c-c-c(sob)elo. I had my heart set on MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH...nchester since 3pm!:("

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I was just asking a question. I'm not desperate, I merely wondered what the story was with him. What harm would it do to have a back-up midfielder in the squad for a season at a very low cost. Nowhere did I proclaim he would be the answer to any of our real problems, just could be a better option than deploying Giggs in CM if an injury crisis took place. That's not an unreasonable question to put to the thread is it?
    Not trying to have a go if that's the way it's coming across. I won't even comment further on it as it's just inconceivable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would love, fitness depending, to see a full strength team as everyone was posting yesterday - then with a bench of Lindegard, Fabio, Evans, Anderson, Zaha, Hernandez, Welbeck

Exactly, full strength team. Moyes needs to use the fact that we are the superior team and should be going out there to pummel Palace. I don't mind playing cautiously and defensive against Chelsea and the like, but if he does it against Palace we really do have a problem and I'd wonder if he still has the mindset of an Everton manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

:o You think you know better than Klopp, but you really don't! You go right ahead and think that. :)

So answering me this , why didn't klopp play kagawa on central midfield when he was in dortmund so?

It's definitely lost in translation, he means central not centre midfield as in just behind the striker , the very fact he never played in central midfield proves your wrong and klopp was misinterpreted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Not trying to have a go if that's the way it's coming across. I won't even comment further on it as it's just inconceivable to me.

Oh yeah I'm not suggesting for a second that it'd happen, I just thought I'd throw it out there. The Reading move set off alarm-bells in my head too if that's the level that's after him now. Still I wouldn't say no to him at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

1 point from City, Chelsea and Pool would be worrying really. 2 is an absolute minimum.

City away is a tough fixture. winable by all means but not by any means a cert. a draw is a decent result against city.

a draw was an ok result against Chelsea considering they were so negative

a loss against pool is disapointing

I do expect united to Win almost every game up to christmas then though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if we lose to City, Moyes will experience pressure he has never experienced in his life from the media and other sections including our own fans unfortunately though most of them will never have been to Old Trafford in their life.

to be 7-9 points off the pace after 5 games, will set alarm bells ringing very very quickly. its a huge game that can shape our season, though we have a relatively free run after this for a while.

people were and are against the appointment of Moyes. for arguments sake, lets say that about 20% of United fans (could be higher) were un-happy with the appointment....lose to City and a couple of dodgy results in Europe and his support will drop, the number against him will rise.

even now, the liverpool league cup will be huge as the longer it goes without beating a rival, the more pressure grows on him. he could have reduced alot of this pressure already by having all his transfers done in July, but now there is a readymade excuse for fans AND the 5 points already dropped is a problem too.

worrying month ahead IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SlickRic wrote: »
    this might be of interest to some of you, if you didn't know already of course...

What did Beckham do? I can understand Fergie having some words for Rooney, Keane, Tevez and Benitez but Beckham seems a bit out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If Kagawa comes back from International duty on the back of scoring 2 or 3 goals and doesn't start against Palace i will feel very very sick inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Wonder what the chances of resting RvP for the Palace game are? Hernandez looked very sharp against Liverpool when he came on, it'd be an opportunity to give him a game and keep RvP in cotton wool for the City game. Should beat Palace comfortably either way.

4 out of 5 games in November are away from home with the home game being Arsenal - tough month.

i still think given our lack of signings this summer in terms of creativity, we will do well to be less than 6-8 points off first place by the turn of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

So answering me this , why didn't klopp play kagawa on central midfield when he was in dortmund so?

It's definitely lost in translation, he means central not centre midfield as in just behind the striker , the very fact he never played in central midfield proves your wrong and klopp was misinterpreted

An offensive midfielder who plays centrally, so a central attacking midfielder. Was replying to posts which said SAF hadn't bought a midfielder in 6 years and another who said Kagawa was not a midfielder. I have not been saying that Kagawa is a centre midfielder such as Fellaini who can play all the central midfield positions from defence to attack.

I gave Jones as an example as he had played as DM for Blackburn for most of his last season and his potential there was touted when he signed. It's not like a player's position is set in stone at under 7's. Madrid did not pay 100 million for LB.

J. Marston wrote: »
    What did Beckham do? I can understand Fergie having some words for Rooney, Keane, Tevez and Benitez but Beckham seems a bit out of place.

Could be some revelations around the boot incident - though i doubt it. the official story has been stuck too so long that even if the rumours I have heard in many places since then are true, it will never be said by Beckham or Ferguson.

If Kagawa comes back from International duty on the back of scoring 2 or 3 goals and doesn't start against Palace i will feel very very sick inside.

Asian players very rarely play the week after international duty.....i think its pretty nailed on he wont play IF he has a big trip to do on tuesday.

anybody know who they are playing?

i think it will be end of the month until we see Shinji playing properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Blatter wrote: »
    Wonder what the chances of resting RvP for the Palace game are? Hernandez looked very sharp against Liverpool when he came on, it'd be an opportunity to give him a game and keep RvP in cotton wool for the City game. Should beat Palace comfortably either way.

We shouldn't be resting players in the league at this stage no need.

Hes one of our best if not best players he should be playing where not exactly in the best run of form at the minute taking out our best route to goals is not gonna fix that.

4 out of 5 games in November are away from home with the home game being Arsenal - tough month.

i still think given our lack of signings this summer in terms of creativity, we will do well to be less than 6-8 points off first place by the turn of the year.

Keep our players fit and on form and we will have enough creativity from Rooney, Kagawa, Nani and Carrick - as well as full backs and wingers whipping it in for Van Persie and Fellaini to throw themselves at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Only 3 of those are in the league and the away games are Fulham and Cardiff. Your making it sound tougher than it is. The league fixture list from after the City game up to Christmas is very favourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Asian players very rarely play the week after international duty.....i think its pretty nailed on he wont play IF he has a big trip to do on tuesday.

I guess that will be the reason.
    Guatemala on Friday then Ghana on Tuesday @20:20 EST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't be surprised if we lined up like this, a defensive minded midfield and hoping Rooney and RVP nick something.

I am so desperately sick and tired of Manchester United having to be scared about playing any big team, about hearing how we have to play defensive just to cope, to play the likes of Valencia in midfield just because he can tackle and we are frightened about being overrun by the other team.

There was a time when teams were scared of us, when we didn't have to change our team at all because the likes of Keane or Ince could bloody well handle whatever the opposition had. I miss those days, I really do.

I am so desperately sick and tired of Manchester United having to be scared about playing any big team, about hearing how we have to play defensive just to cope, to play the likes of Valencia in midfield just because he can tackle and we are frightened about being overrun by the other team.

There was a time when teams were scared of us, when we didn't have to change our team at all because the likes of Keane or Ince could bloody well handle whatever the opposition had. I miss those days, I really do.

+1

****ing sick of seeing United coming into a game playing like there holding out incase they get hurt.

The top teams dont go into there shell against anyone they go out and they send out there best players and they beat teams because of this.

God knows how maybe times its cost us trying to play it safe.

Look at the City game at end the season they won the league for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Guatemala in Japan

as regards our november fixtures

Fulham - W
    Sociadad - W (D is aslikely imo)
    Arsenal - should be a W
    Cardiff - W
    Bayer - potential D (if we have qualified by then i dont expect us to play a full team or any where near it)
    Tottenham - D

its a tough month but aug/september is our worst schedule in my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

if we lose to City, Moyes will experience pressure he has never experienced in his life from the media and other sections including our own fans unfortunately though most of them will never have been to Old Trafford in their life.

to be 7-9 points off the pace after 5 games, will set alarm bells ringing very very quickly. its a huge game that can shape our season, though we have a relatively free run after this for a while.

We were 7 points behind in October last year.

People need to calm down. It's the 4th of September ffs.

our quality of football has dropped dramatically in the past four years. winning 2 leagues in this time, has created a very very false impression of our overall quality.

i think people will appreciate Fergie more or more to the point how he got the best out of some average players as time progresses.

• Advertisement

purpleblaa wrote: »
    We were 7 points behind in October last year.

People need to calm down. It's the 4th of September ffs.

7 points behind with a settled and more experienced manager and staff who knew how to deal with that kinda situation at the highest level.

People need to calm down.

what exactly are we saying thats not calm? we are talking about pressure on the manager. not what happened last year, not will happen next year, we are taking about what will happen if we lose to City, something that was always a big possibility even when Fergie was in charge.

relex a little and actually read the entire discussion, not just one line.

Moyes is under pressure by just being United manager. he is under even more pressure after Sunday and then, even more after monday. another poor showing against City and it will grow even more. he could have made things alot easier for himself by now. i think everybody here is completely behind him, but people are already pissed off over him playing Giggs and Young the last day, pissed off over his reluctance to play kagawa, people are pissed off about the loss to liverpool and his baffling comments after it, while there is a lot of united fans dismayed in the farce that became our summer window and he played a part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We shouldn't be resting players in the league at this stage no need.

Hes one of our best if not best players he should be playing where not exactly in the best run of form at the minute taking out our best route to goals is not gonna fix that.

So when do you propose giving Hernandez games? A top class striker like that needs to be given games if we're to have any chance of keeping him happy.

Maybe we'll play him with RvP if Rooney isn't ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Holy crap!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=620325868026385&set=a.620325848026387.1073741852.245323855526590&type=1&theater

I'm linking to the pic in case there is squeemish people here but **** me, that is some cut Rooney got!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Holy crap!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=620325868026385&set=a.620325848026387.1073741852.245323855526590&type=1&theater

I'm linking to the pic in case there is squeemish people here but **** me, that is some cut Rooney got!

thats the first thing Phil Jones connected properly with all season :pac:

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    So when do you propose giving Hernandez games? A top class striker like that needs to be given games if we're to have any chance of keeping him happy.

Maybe we'll play him with RvP if Rooney isn't ready.

He should be getting games but not at the expense of your top goal scorer when the teams not at its best.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Klopp on Kagawa: "Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw."

Jones played most of his last season at Blackburn in midfield. "Asked how much work he had to do with Jones to prepare him for playing in midfield, Allardyce said: "Not a lot. If you are a natural, you are a natural."

CAM, yes. Central. Attacking. Midfielder.

Not a central midfielder.

Shinji has never ever played CM for Dortmund or Japan.

A CM is what Sahin and Gündogan are. What Carrick is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

VDBSntd.png

Wayne just popped this up on Facebook..

Some man

anybody know what happened, did jones just boot him in the head or what?

7 points behind with a settled and more experienced manager and staff who knew how to deal with that kinda situation at the highest level.

You mean the same manager that will still be working in the club and can help and advise as needed?

You mean the same manager that will still be working in the club and can help and advise as needed?

I doubt he has much of a say or will be involved with much unless someone comes running for help.

what exactly are we saying thats not calm? we are talking about pressure on the manager. not what happened last year, not will happen next year, we are taking about what will happen if we lose to City, something that was always a big possibility even when Fergie was in charge.

relex a little and actually read the entire discussion, not just one line.

Moyes is under pressure by just being United manager. he is under even more pressure after Sunday and then, even more after monday. another poor showing against City and it will grow even more. he could have made things alot easier for himself by now. i think everybody here is completely behind him, but people are already pissed off over him playing Giggs and Young the last day, pissed off over his reluctance to play kagawa, people are pissed off about the loss to liverpool and his baffling comments after it, while there is a lot of united fans dismayed in the farce that became our summer window and he played a part in it.

I wasn't having a go at your post Homer, just pointing out we were that far behind early last year.

Over the past few months the thread has been unbearable at times. We now live in a time where managers are given a month or two to prove themselves or are then thrown out. Chelsea being a prime example.
    I really hope that Moyes gets a fair chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have we got to the desperate stage as fans that we are discussing hijacking a Championship clubs target, a failed Premier League player, someone who has had next to no game time for a year?

If anybody wants to judge how well we did in the transfer window this summer, then they just need to look at the fact that yes, people are seriously asking about Sissoko as further midfield cover.

Two months opportunity to get people in, and still people can see that we are short in a number of areas. I'm not talking £20m+ players, but it would have been no harm whatsoever to have gotten some defensive midfield cover in during the summer.

People are happy that we got a midfielder in. Personally I am happy to see Felliani there, I think he will do well. But getting him was the bare minimum needed, and nobody can be happy that all we did was the bare minimum.

I doubt he has much of a say or will be involved with much unless someone comes running for help.

I would assume he would have a part to play. Moyes has said previously that Fergie has given him advice. I would guess that he would continue to get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So there are a lot of people with a fondness for DeGea now? It was not many a year ago that people were writing him off and wanted him to rot. Now he is world class in the eyes of many a bloke.

Perhaps David Moyes will become the DeGea of 2014. World class quality may leak out of Moyes yet.

• Advertisement

I would assume he would have a part to play. Moyes has said previously that Fergie has given him advice. I would guess that he would continue to get that.

If he needs advice thats fine.

I just hope hes able to deal with these situations without someone having to bale him out. Otherwise the job is to big for him.

The same can be said for the rest of the staff including Woodward.

Neeson wrote: »
    So there are a lot of people with a fondness for DeGea now? It was not many a year ago that people were writing him off and wanted him to rot. Now he is world class in the eyes of many a bloke.

Perhaps David Moyes will become the DeGea of 2014. World class quality may leak out of Moyes yet.

I and a lot of posters in here had nothing but positive things to say about him since day one. He made a few mistakes at first but needed time to settle and get used to the physicality of the EPL.

Now he's a beast of GK.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    CAM, yes. Central. Attacking. Midfielder.

Not a central midfielder.

Shinji has never ever played CM for Dortmund or Japan.

A CM is what Sahin and Gündogan are. What Carrick is.

While we are being pedantic, CM is short for centre midfield(er), not central midfield(er).

I wasn't having a go at your post Homer, just pointing out we were that far behind early last year.

Over the past few months the thread has been unbearable at times. We now live in a time where managers are given a month or two to prove themselves or are then thrown out. Chelsea being a prime example.
    I really hope that Moyes gets a fair chance.

great managers, earn their chance. its up to Moyes to prove he is a great manager now.

great managers, earn their chance. its up to Moyes to prove he is a great manager now.

while I don't think Moyes should be shown blind faith, i think he does need to be given at least to the end of next season. Maybe he'll have fooked us up by then, but he has to be given the time, imo.

He is already a great manager; he knocked Liverpool off their perch on Merseyside! :pac:

May have been posted before, amusing story anyway..

BTRDFWNCAAAGi9D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

An offensive midfielder who plays centrally, so a central attacking midfielder. Was replying to posts which said SAF hadn't bought a midfielder in 6 years and another who said Kagawa was not a midfielder. I have not been saying that Kagawa is a centre midfielder such as Fellaini who can play all the central midfield positions from defence to attack.

So what exactly is Kagawa's best natural position? Am I right in saying he's a no.10, playing in the "hole" off the main striker? Essentially Rooney's position.
    Must admit I don't watch a whole lot of Bundesliga and the guy has been selected so sporadically for United it's hard to know what his best position actually is.

Maybe he could do a job in an attacking midfielder role playing in front of Carrick and Fellaini? From what I've seen of him he's a very tidy player with a very good range of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

His years of work at Everton have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Does the fellaini buy put kagawa further down the peaking order?

Rooney is guaranteed to play behind rvp, Rooney gets injured does fellaini go there?

Also nani, valencia, welbeck, zaha, all on the wings kagawa is behind a lot of players.

I wouldn't put in all down to moyes, fergy didn't really trust him either.

I think he'll have to leave united to get game time but I also think united will be reluctant to sell him, far too marketable in the Asian market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement