Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Anyone labelling him a flop after playing around 10 games is a joker. People are willing to praise Kagawa to the high heavens when he's consistently having a mare. People have been on Fell's back since his first game.

Yep stopped reading when I saw "flop". In the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep stopped reading when I saw "flop". In the link.

Stopped reading when I noticed "dailymail" in the URL. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Zaha and 7 million for Baines it seems will be the offer in January, not sure how i feel about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dahat wrote: »
    Zaha and 7 million for Baines it seems will be the offer in January, not sure how i feel about that

Absolute idiocy if true

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

wouldnt mind a straight swap of ashley young for baines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jebus84 wrote: »

That's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Soups123 wrote: »
    Still no reason to want him get a long ban. Personally I loved the Keane/Viera days and there tackles where a hell of a lot worse than Catermoles and both sets of fans loved them for it!

I didn't say he should get a long ban. I said Dossena and Riether should. All I said was that Cattermole does himself no favours by constantly being reckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

zerks wrote: »
    Interesting piece in the Mail about Fellaini,sums up what many United fans already think of him. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486051/Marouane-Fellaini--whats-Manchester-Uniteds-27-5million-flop.html

Interesting?
    Brought on at half-time during the 3-1 win at Fulham on Saturday, the Belgian failed to make any sort of impact on an afternoon when almost everyone else in a red shirt shone.

That's when I stopped reading, 6 lines in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Including the manager? Or is there another reason why Jones is playing in midfield ahead of our new 27.5 million midfield signing?

Wouldn't read too much into yesterday's selection. We have a mid-week game that will secure progression in the CL and play the league leaders next weekend. Lots of rotation going on.

That being said, Fellaini hasn't played like a 27.5m player. I am a big fan of his and I reckon he'll come good but I'm worried that his couple of years playing as a forward and attacking midfielder might have hindered his progress in the holding role he occupies for us. Also, why is he not a threat from set pieces anymore? Yours think this skull wouldn't have left him. He used to beast us when we played Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

zerks wrote: »
    Interesting piece in the Mail about Fellaini,sums up what many United fans already think of him. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486051/Marouane-Fellaini--whats-Manchester-Uniteds-27-5million-flop.html

that article is pure muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wouldn't read too much into yesterday's selection. We have a mid-week game that will secure progression in the CL and play the league leaders next weekend. Lots of rotation going on.

But its not rotation, not only did he not start against Fulham, he did not feature at all against Norwich, Stoke or Real Sociadad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Soups123 wrote: »
    He is one of the most underrated players in the league, he is quality would love to see him get a run of games and see what he could do

Who does he start in place of? Taking out either RVP or Rooney to accommodate him would be stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chico dropped from the Mexico squad for WC play-off.

He then retweeted an article where Carlos Vela has said he needs to leave United.

But its not rotation, not only did he not start against Fulham, he did not feature at all against Norwich, Stoke or Real Sociadad.

That's still rotation. Only a couple of players have been mainstays in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

in fairness moyes doesnt know his best 11 yet

That's still rotation. Only a couple of players have been mainstays in the team.

Sorry, but no.

United had a well known gaping hole in central midfield. They spent over 27 million on a midfielder, and now said midfielder is sitting on the bench for the last five games with a defender picked ahead of him in midfield for the last two.

Thats not rotation, thats something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Stopped reading when I noticed "dailymail" in the URL. ;)

I knew this comment would appear:pac:

Ignore the flop bit in the link & read it,says the same as what we all are.If you spend £27.5 million on a midfielder who can play as the anchor then why put a centre half who can't pass the ball in there & leave him on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He then retweeted an article where Carlos Vela has said he needs to leave United.

This makes my hangover worse.

Sorry, but no.

United had a well known gaping hole in central midfield. They spent over 27 million on a midfielder, and now said midfielder is sitting on the bench for the last five games with a defender picked ahead of him in midfield for the last two.

Thats not rotation, thats something else.

I've acknowledged his form hasn't been good in my first post. He's also due an operation, right? No idea how much that is affecting him and Moyes' decisions regarding him. Lots of mitigating factors.

I think that yesterday's midfield was down to rotation and trying out options to see what works. Fulham have been awful this year so it was an opportunity to try things. Moyes is still working people out and working his best XI out. This is natural.

This makes my hangover worse.

Chicharito on twitter: No matter what happens.I'll never stop trying.
    https://twitter.com/CH14_/status/396773905542971392

Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jebus84 wrote: »
    That would be great. We should throw £5-10 million as well just to be sure and be rid of Young.

Not just Chich, it appears every European-based player has been left out of the squad. The new manager picked an all domestic squad for their play-off.
    There are no European-based players on the Mexico squad that will take on New Zealand in the first leg of the World Cup qualifying playoff with New Zealand.

New El Tri coach Miguel Herrera only selected players who play their club football in Mexico, and included 10 players from his Club América in a roster unveiled Friday.

Left out of the squad were Javier Hernández of Manchester United, as well as Giovani dos Santos and Javier Aquino of Villarreal.

Only goalkeeper Alfredo Talavera was added to the squad that beat Finland in a friendly on Wednesday. Goalkeeper Jonathan Orozco is out of the squad as he deals with an injury.

Mexico hosts New Zealand in an inter-confederation playoff Nov. 13. Herrera has until Nov. 5 to call up players for the second leg in New Zealand, set for Nov. 20.

"It is not that they are bad, they are very good players, but the trip is very taxing and arriving on (Nov.) 7, 8 or 9 to play on the 13th, they won’t finish adapting to the situation that we are looking for," Herrera said Wednesday following a 4-2 win against Finland in San Diego. "That is what has us practically decided against bringing anyone (from Europe)."

Chich would never be dropped anyway, he's brilliant for Mexico. Their new coach just seems a bit contrary.

So 3 points off second then after this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I've actually decided I'm going to stop posting about Manchester United on the internet altogether.

But how will people tell you your opinion is wrong if you stop giving it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anyone see Carrick, Cleverley and Fellaini all starting against Arsenal?

I can't see Moyes putting Rooney out on the wing so it doesn't look likely but I think that's what we'll need to do to stop Arsenal's midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anyone see Carrick, Cleverley and Fellaini all starting against Arsenal?

I can't see Moyes putting Rooney out on the wing so it doesn't look likely but I think that's what we'll need to do to stop Arsenal's midfield

Can't see that happening. Fergie used to adjust the setup especially for the Arsenal games. It will be interesting to see if Moyes does likewise.

Should Moyes decide to adjust and if Carrick aint fit I could see Jones, Fellaini and Clev playing. I have a bad feeling Giggs will start though, even more so if Clev is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Can't see that happening. Fergie used to adjust the setup especially for the Arsenal games. It will be interesting to see if Moyes does likewise.

Should Moyes decide to adjust and if Carrick aint fit I could see Jones, Fellaini and Clev playing. I have a bad feeling Giggs will start though, even more so if Clev is out.

It's a bad state of affairs when you're hoping cleverly is fit to keep giggs out. Unfortunately it's the reality of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

realistically weekend couldnt have gone much better apart from the injuries and the arsenal/liverpool game not ending in a draw.

we gained ground on 5 of the teams above us and 6 if you include Citys result last weekend, so that is a real positive.

regarding Fellani, when he was signed i was sure he would fill the gap of needing to play Jones in CM, but it still appears to be happening - that is not good. would expect both to play on tuesday meaning a complete lack of creativity through the middle, but hopefully valencias return to form, along with Janz, RVP and Rooney on form, will see us get at least a point there.
    Cleverly and Carrick CM against Arsenal please, though the reality is we will need 3 in there against them, with Valencia and Rooney out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I think realistically we can hope to be 8 points behind at the end of December and qualify to the knockout stages of the CL.

I have never ever wanted to see the January market as much in my life as I want to now. This is not to say we probably wont sign anyone.

I'm pretty confident Jones will start in midfield next week in a similar style he played against Madrid last year which is a big compliment to Arsenal or just a spotlight to how light we are.

I will look back at this time in future, if I'm still alive of course, and think fondly about the time Javier 'Chicarito' Hernandez was United's Man from the Bench. If Chico gets a run of games at any big club he will be absolutely lethal. Unfortunately, given the ongoing availability of RVP and Rooney I don't see Chico getting that run of games at Manchester United in the near future.

The lad has one of the best attitudes in the modern game both on-field and off it; Clinical, unforgiving but clean when his feet are doing the talking, respectful and full of humility and praise for others when his mouth is doing the talking. For me, he belongs at Old Trafford and is 'United Legend' material all over.

It's just that in saying the above, I'm also being a bit of a selfish c**t. More than anything at the moment I want to see the team itself achieve and I believe the best way of doing this, as regards our regular attack, is through persistence with an in-form Rooney and a returning-to-form RVP. Performances like that during the first half of yesterday's game show glimpses of what kind of fruits an in-tune pairing of Rooney and RVP can bear, for at least the next couple of seasons.

With Chicarito, outside influences like Carlos Vela aside, I do honestly believe him when he says he wants to try to fight for his place at the club. It's just in fairness to the lad he has been saying this for the last 3 years and not only that, he has been showing it for most part in his performances and has bagged both impressive and important goals alike while wearing the red. Many molecules of air were smashed through by my fists because of Chico.

Not only is he a proven goalscorer but he really has improved those other aspects of his game in the last 12 months that were lacking previously, not every player can do that. By the beginning of next season he will be 26, so there has to be some thoughts in his head regarding his future and if he does chose to move on from United soon I will wish him nothing but the best. In my opinion he has tried everything to etch his way into the first 11 but he is just the right man at the wrong time as long as Rooney and RVP keep fit. Robin will be 31 by next season, will Chico choose to continue to fight for his place at United for a few seasons in the hope of being RVP's successor? Selfishly I would definitely like to hope so, but realistically can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I think realistically we can hope to be 8 points behind at the end of December and qualify to the knockout stages of the CL.

I have never ever wanted to see the January market as much in my life as I want to now. This is not to say we probably wont sign anyone.

its hard to know how the window will go, there are certain scenarios that are hard to diagnose -

would we be interested in signing players who are cup tied in the CL?
    would players who are still in the CL, want to leave their team for us?
    are their any genuine World class players out there, who are not involved in the CL, that are available and solve a need we have?
    come January, if we are still outside the top 4, would we have realistic chance of signing top class players, considering how hard it was to sign players even as champions, during the summer?
    does the club actually realise the level of player we need or will we continue to sign average players like Buttner, Young & Jones?
    have we budget to actually sign players?
    if we were to close the gap, would the need to sign players change, according to the clb?

Herrera and Baines remain our best bets, but i dont think they will solve much problems.

though Woodward apparently has said the priorities are a Center Back and a Left Back, according to todays papers. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

as to how any senior person at our club, cannot see that we need two midfielders is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I've actually decided I'm going to stop posting about Manchester United on the internet altogether.

No! Come on man, don't do that.

Chicharito will be sad...
    javier-hernandez%2B5.jpg
    ...and so will I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Chico needs gametime ahead of rvp. Letting him go due to not getting him on the pitch is very short sighted. I'm not saying rvp shouldn't be first choice but moyes needs to spread the burden.

Chico needs gametime ahead of rvp. Letting him go due to not getting him on the pitch is very short sighted. I'm not saying rvp shouldn't be first choice but moyes needs to spread the burden.

Cant agree with this. RVP should be starting every game, fitness permitting

edit: apart from League Cup and any game where we may have already qualified for CL knock out stages

@Mikey086.

Dont go lad.

You're one of best posters here.

would expect both to play on tuesday meaning a complete lack of creativity through the middle, but hopefully valencias return to form

Did I miss something?

• Advertisement

Cant agree with this. RVP should be starting every game, fitness permitting

edit: apart from League Cup and any game where we may have already qualified for CL knock out stages

balance is needed between the two but Chico should defo be getting more pitchtime, and I mean league games.

balance is needed between the two but Chico should defo be getting more pitchtime, and I mean league games.

ok. im saying it shouldnt be at the expense of RVP though. play your best players when possible. its unfortunate but Chicho shouldnt be starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chcio if you leave utd now, you take away the biggest part of utd, oh oh chico please dont go

ok. im saying it shouldnt be at the expense of RVP though. play your best players when possible. its unfortunate but Chicho shouldnt be starting

Always? At what stage do you give xp to players to allow development so?

Always? At what stage do you give xp to players to allow development so?

at a time when we arent pretty desperate for points. he can play league cup games and get minutes in the latter stages of games. i dont think we are good enough at the moment to be leaving rvp out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Did I miss something?
    His form has stabilised as of late. It was even passable yesterday.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You can't compare playing away to a premier league side to playing at home in an U18 game.

And that is Swansea not Soton

Lol,Late night last night & up early today = epic brainfart.:o

Anyhow we played for nigh on an hour yesterday as if the players only met each other in the car park before the game.I wouldn't mind but at times in the first half hour we played some great stuff,even the old movement off the ball was back.

His form has stabilised as of late. It was even passable yesterday.

Huh? I thought he was rubbish yet again yesterday. The goal was given to him on a plate, what exactly did he create yesterday?

I thought Valencia played quite well yesterday. Nothing special, but better than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Huh? I thought he was rubbish yet again yesterday. The goal was given to him on a plate, what exactly did he create yesterday?
    I don't expect Valencia to create. He moved forward and even countered well once yesterday. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Yeah I agree that Valencia has improved in recent games. He played well yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We'll demolish you in midfield if Giggs starts there.

I'd be looking forward to the weekend if I was a United fan, we've a tough game in Germany, we haven't got a result in Old Trafford in years and there won't be same amount of pressure to win on you that there was vs Stoke/WBA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Valencia is still shít at crossing the ball, therefore he is still shít at being a winger.

Forget your Man United v Liverpool, or United v Chelsea or City for that matter.

The battles we had with Arsenal from 1997 to 2005 were just immense games. Bar 1-2 one sided games for both sides, every other game was a cracker.

No competitive fixture has produced better matches then this fixture in premier league era.

None even comes close imo.

Already excited about next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So 3 points off second then after this weekend.

Yeah but unfortunately for you lot Hull and Newcastle also won do you didn't manage to pull away from the teams around you:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement