Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Forget your Man United v Liverpool, or United v Chelsea or City for that matter.

The battles we had with Arsenal from 1997 to 2005 were just immense games. Bar 1-2 one sided games for both sides, every other game was a cracker.

No competitive fixture has produced better matches then this fixture in premier league era.

None even comes close imo.

Already excited about next Sunday.

there we a few awesome Liverpool/Newcaslte and Liverpool/Arsenal games to be fair.

Arsenal 2 - United 4 probably my favourite. The Keane/Vieira stuff before it, the Ronaldo 'sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh', the O'Shea chip (and celebration). Awesome game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't expect Valencia to create. He moved forward and even countered well once yesterday. That'll do.

Poe's law is now in effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah but unfortunately for you lot Hull and Newcastle also won do you didn't manage to pull away from the teams around you:pac:

I'd say make the most of it but it seems a lot of non-United fans are. Don't worry though, I wont be pulling up posts in the future to throw down peoples throats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah but unfortunately for you lot Hull and Newcastle also won do you didn't manage to pull away from the teams around youpacman.gif
    We'll hit twenty points by January, we're not going down confused.png
    Poe's law is now in effect.
    As long as Valencia provides a level of energy and some semblance of width, that's par. He's not going to make jack. I've accepted that and judge on him on what he can actually do. It doesn't make me happy to see him out on the pitch. His form has picked up from what it was though. He's not where possession goes to die anymore and he runs forward now and again. Forward! Valencia!!! It's an early Christmas miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd say make the most of it but it seems a lot of non-United fans are. Don't worry though, I wont be pulling up posts in the future to throw down peoples throats

Ah, just a friendly jibe is all.

Weekend should be great. Arsenal will control the midfield but that's not to say they'll win.

Clear blueprint of how to beat Arsenal displayed twice last week.

Play three in the middle, Rooney as one of those or on the wing. RVP up front on his own. Tonnes of work and aggression, take your chances.

Should be a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

3 points behind Chelsea and 2 off man city ill take that, that's with us being **** and them showing at times how good they can be if we can fulfil our potential and start playing good ball we will be there or there abouts.

Crazy that an Everton win would have had hem into 2nd.
    Martinez doing great work there as with AVB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love being right about Strootman, always rated him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

there we a few awesome Liverpool/Newcaslte and Liverpool/Arsenal games to be fair.

Arsenal 2 - United 4 probably my favourite. The Keane/Vieira stuff before it, the Ronaldo 'sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh', the O'Shea chip (and celebration). Awesome game.

To this day I still have no idea what John O'Shea was doing up there

One of my favourite ever moments is Van Nistelrooy tucking away that certain penalty considering how the Arsenal players reacted when he missed the match before :D:D:D

Then Saha passes to Smith, Smith passes to Rooney, Rooney tucks it away

2-0 Utd, their streak is over

Any comments about the Rooney penalty, remember the Ashley Cole tackle on Ronaldo, that was an absolute stonewall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Already excited about next Sunday.

So am i, Disney on Ice for me so no game at all. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dahat wrote: »

Cwmh7Tt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

dahat wrote: »

Same. I'm gutted I'll be missing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

All those creaming themselves over Arsenal; Who have they beaten this season? The best side they have played was Dortmund and they lost. They played Napoli without Higuain and Maggio and only played for 45 mins in that game. Liverpool are hardly a top side and Spurs are the only other side of note that they have played and they are very far from a proven side.

I'd be expecting us to beat Arsenal next week and if we don't then we've lost our first two big tests this season in Man City and Arsenal.

Red Crow wrote: »
    All those creaming themselves over Arsenal; Who have they beaten this season? The best side they have played was Dortmund and they lost. They played Napoli without Higuain and Maggio and only played for 45 mins in that game. Liverpool are hardly a top side and Spurs are the only other side of note that they have played and they are very far from a proven side.

I'd be expecting us to beat Arsenal next week and if we don't then we've lost our first two big tests this season in Man City and Arsenal.
    We did nothing vs Chelsea in the league, nothing vs Liverpool in the league, got humiliated vs City. Sneaked a draw in the end vs Southampton and lost to West Brom without deserving anything more from that game than the loss.

I don't expect us to beat anyone these days, never mind arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

We did nothing vs Chelsea in the league, nothing vs Liverpool in the league, got humiliated vs City. Sneaked a draw in the end vs Southampton and lost to West Brom without deserving anything more from that game than the loss.

i believe it was southampton that sneaked a draw against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

zerks wrote: »
    I knew this comment would appear:pac:

Ignore the flop bit in the link & read it,says the same as what we all are.If you spend £27.5 million on a midfielder who can play as the anchor then why put a centre half who can't pass the ball in there & leave him on the bench?

No, I literally wouldn't give them the 1c or whatever they will make in advertising revenue from my click.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

IvySlayer wrote: »
    To this day I still have no idea what John O'Shea was doing up there

One of my favourite ever moments is Van Nistelrooy tucking away that certain penalty considering how the Arsenal players reacted when he missed the match before :D:D:D

Then Saha passes to Smith, Smith passes to Rooney, Rooney tucks it away

2-0 Utd, their streak is over

Any comments about the Rooney penalty, remember the Ashley Cole tackle on Ronaldo, that was an absolute stonewall

That match broke my heart! United were lethal on the counter that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Papers saying that Woodward is working on a deal to sign Reus from Dortmund in January with Kagawa possibly going back there as part of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was a cracker.

Gary Neville handshake with Viera.

But this is what I remember most.

keanevieira_design.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

zerks wrote: »
    Papers saying that Woodward is working on a deal to sign Reus from Dortmund in January with Kagawa possibly going back there as part of the deal.

Would love to get Reus. Great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we sign Reus and try to play him left wing I'll cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If we sign Reus and try to play him left wing I'll cry

That's where he plays for Dortmund.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Would love to get Reus. Great player

Would be a fantastic, and utterly surprising signing.

Assuming Dortmund are still in the CL I would imagine it would be very hard to get them to sell, and with the world cup just a few months away I can't see any player wanting to push a move to a completely new environment when there is no real need for it.

Heard elsewhere we are very interested in Draxler - you'd have to imagine we couldn't get both, but could be in for both (in the hope one works out).

Certainly do hope that United are talking to clubs about moves for the January and summer windows. Getting stuck into it so late was a big problem this summer gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Chelsea and Liverpool games could of gone either way. Southampton nicked a draw against us.

West Brom was a poor performance and City was humiliating but that's no reason why we can't best Arsenal.

Let's try and show some optimism. The fans have to play their part to and so far the home crowds have been pathetic. We're not playing well but this is the perfect game to stick it to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'll hopefully get to see the second half of the Arsenal game on Sunday.

Just booked my flights to the Everton match just there. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Red Crow wrote: »

Yup. Man U are still decent favourites really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'll hopefully get to see the second half of the Arsenal game on Sunday.

Heading to that game myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Valencia's forward play hasn't been great but it's easy to forget the defensive job he does for the team. He's like a horse up and down the wing covering so much ground. Granted I'd prefer a greater attacking influence there, but imo we are much harder to beat when he is in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

nuxxx wrote: »
    Valencia's forward play hasn't been great but it's easy to forget the defensive job he does for the team. He's like a horse up and down the wing covering so much ground. Granted I'd prefer a greater attacking influence there, but imo we are much harder to beat when he is in the team

Lets just play 11 defenders and be done with it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mars Bar wrote: »

Are you taking that ticket from the other thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Corvo wrote: »

seems to be alot of lads and ladies heading over in the next few weeks from here, some really big games coming up.

cant wait for next sunday now, i have a feeling we can topple these to finally kick start our season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm going to the Newcastle game on Dec 7th. First time at a united game, hope we're on a decent run by then!

Lets just play 11 defenders and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Its not really the point he is making. There are certain games where it can warrant being more solid and less open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its not really the point he is making. There are certain games where it can warrant being more solid and less open.

Valencia is bad defensively. Constantly exposed. The only reason he's seen as solid is because he stays so deep and rarely gets forward anymore.

Liam O wrote: »
    Valencia is bad defensively. Constantly exposed. The only reason he's seen as solid is because he stays so deep and rarely gets forward anymore.

You not think he's better than Nani for example? Januzaj? I certainly do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would be a fantastic, and utterly surprising signing.

Assuming Dortmund are still in the CL I would imagine it would be very hard to get them to sell, and with the world cup just a few months away I can't see any player wanting to push a move to a completely new environment when there is no real need for it.

Heard elsewhere we are very interested in Draxler - you'd have to imagine we couldn't get both, but could be in for both (in the hope one works out).

Certainly do hope that United are talking to clubs about moves for the January and summer windows. Getting stuck into it so late was a big problem this summer gone.

Big thing with January in a WC year is guys mightn't want to move to a club where game time isn't guaranteed, and then there are guys who might need a higher profile club, or aren't getting a game at their current club, wanting to move to get into the WC squad.

Couldn't see either Reus or Draxler moving in January, someone like El Shaarawy or Muniain might be more likely, but I'd still expect nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Corvo wrote: »

Should be a good game. Everton are looking really solid at the moment.
    Are you taking that ticket from the other thread?

I am, yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You not think he's better than Nani for example? Januzaj? I certainly do

Nani is ok defensively, he works to get back and plays higher up so the opponents have to stay deep. If you look at the City game for example Valencia stayed very deep allowing attack after attack and was still incredibly incompetent when positioning himself or closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

id get reus style haircut if we sign him, wonderful player

Liam O wrote: »
    Nani is ok defensively, he works to get back and plays higher up so the opponents have to stay deep. If you look at the City game for example Valencia stayed very deep allowing attack after attack and was still incredibly incompetent when positioning himself or closing down.

This is probably something i ignore too much in fairness. Driving their fb to his own box

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

United or any other club have zero chance of signing Reus, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'm going to the Newcastle game on Dec 7th. First time at a united game, hope we're on a decent run by then!

Need to book dem flights this week actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Attempts to sign Reus from Dortmund?

Robert-DeNiro-Laughing-Awards-Ceremony.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Atm united have only giggs and cleverley who can play cm and carry the ball forward. Carrick, fellaini and possibly jones are the ones that sit deep and cover. Until they buy at least 1 or 2 more cm's there is no point them looking at wingers, strikers or defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I've defended Valencia as much as the next but he needs to stop getting time, I feel moyes is playing him simply due to experience, honestly people stating he should be played due 2 being defensively sound???? Really this is man united when we play a winger we should be playing a winger who is high up the pitch ready to get the ball run at defenders and pushing their full backs deep not a winger who sits on the halfway line and invites every fullback on pushing the entire team back even more.

I don't know but I watch a lot of other top teams, Madrid, barca, Munich and I can tell you that their wingers ain't being played because they do a job in their own half, they are played cause if they create and score more goals than the opposition they win more games.

Is rather have a naive winger in adnan out their every week who won't track back and may potentially expose us on occasions as long as he's creating more and scoring more then the variance will be in out favour.

Play wingers to attack not defend.

I've defended Valencia as much as the next but he needs to stop getting time, I feel moyes is playing him simply due to experience,

ive been as vocal as anybody about having him in the team, but in all fairness to him, he is playing much better lately and starting to show signs of the player who made the PFA team of the year and then, was our player of the year in 2012 (though he didnt deserve that IMO but was still good).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

was at the cottage on sat. great atmosphere in the utd end. played well for 20 mins then poor enough.

fellaini is still not showing any signs of being worth 27m. januzaj is the real deal i think and would love to see him get the number 7 jersey next year.

fulham kicked him all match and even with the stamp on him at the end. i havent seen a utd player get kicked so much by opposition since you know who.

i said on friday that carrick was out to much fanfair about me inventing this fact. i had heard it from a source that spoke to the player himself. if i hear any more news like that i will share it here and as i said i do work in football and people can pm me qs and i will do my best to answer.

unplayable wrote: »
    was at the cottage on sat. great atmosphere in the utd end. played well for 20 mins then poor enough.

fellaini is still not showing any signs of being worth 27m. januzaj is the real deal i think and would love to see him get the number 7 jersey next year.

fulham kicked him all match and even with the stamp on him at the end. i havent seen a utd player get kicked so much by opposition since you know who.

i said on friday that carrick was out to much fanfair about me inventing this fact. i had heard it from a source that spoke to the player himself. if i hear any more news like that i will share it here and as i said i do work in football and people can pm me qs and i will do my best to answer.

Please share anything you get or hear.

I know it will be in best interest.

Dont mind the few here who will question your every post waiting for you to say something that is not true.

Look forward to getting some info. Hopefully good ones though:P

You got it spot on the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Happy enough with the result on Saturday but tbh the second half was a disappointment. Fellaini really has shown no signs as of yet the player we thought he was, I hope I am wrong in this but at Everton he seemed to play with no fear. Now every time he gets the ball he seems to freeze and take an extra touch. Hopefully it clicks for him soon.

Arsenal game is now a defining moment, play well and get a result it is a real signal of intention for the rest of the season. Lose and it will be back to square one and a 7 match unbeaten run means nowt.

If we are to have any slim chance of winning the league we have to win.

Nothing less.

A win would be huge.

I am quietly confident we will win. On form it should be Arsenal, but first 25 Minutes against Fulham gave me hope.

If we can play like that for longer period Arsenal will have questions to answer.

Off Monday also so can watch the game on few pints.

Dont mind the few here who will question your every post waiting for you to say something that is not true.

as long as its "good" or positive news , they will believe it ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement