Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd argue that they dominate without the ball, they pressure so aggressively up to a certain point that leaves the other team passing around their back 4 which is no danger to Dortmund so they let them have it, then when the other team decide to try out an attack, Dortmund win the ball and go on a counter attack. They're ruthless on the counter and rarely let it go to waste.

+1.

Teams playing us could play the ball around their own back line or deep in their own half all day,once they ventured to within 30 yards of our goal they were hounded & we broke against them.Now they seem to be allowed pass the ball at will anywhere on the pitch.Look at the West Brom game from a couple of weeks back,they played around us for fun at times.
    Even now when we do counter,I have little faith of a goal being the result,either Carrick slows it down as he has no midfield runner to pass it to or Valencia runs 20 yards and stops.Look back to that class of '92,they knew how to move from their own box to score at the other end within seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

TheDoc wrote: »
    Still playing second fiddle to Marcello even though being far superior imo. Injured himself at the weekend rolling his ankle. Marcello came on and gave away two retarded penalties.

I'd like to see Buttner giving the chance, the stuff about him when signing (quotes from a scout) were total bollox. Highly regarded prospect, lightning quick, good in attack, sweet delivery and hard as ****ing nails.

Actually reminds me a bit of Rafael before his breakthrough season, rash and leaving a bit desired tactically, but has a really good attitude and would love to see him do well. And even more so get a good chance/run.

Anytime I've seen him I've been relatively impressed. You can tell he is a good footballer, the positional stuff will come with experience.

Coentrao I wouldn't say no to however, but genuinely feel that lad could do a Bale. Left back who really should be playing left wing, and would be a force.

I'd rather we made a big move for Shaw rather than faffing about with Coentrao and Baines, as I expect. We have barely any good young players that you think are worth building around. All there is De Gea, Rafael and probably Januzaj. Rest are either old or squad depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd like to see Buttner giving the chance, the stuff about him when signing (quotes from a scout) were total bollox. Highly regarded prospect, lightning quick, good in attack, sweet delivery and hard as ****ing nails.

Buttner will never be good enough to start for United imo, more suited to championship level. Ferguson really signed some awful duds in his last couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

A statement from the FA said that: "Riether is the first player to have been charged retrospectively by The FA under a new pilot project for potential ‘not seen’ incidents in Premier League matches.
    "Previously, where the match officials had confirmed to The FA that none of them had seen an incident the match referee was then asked to review all available video evidence before being asked what action, if any, he would have taken had it been seen.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-fa-use-new-rule-charge-riether-165504822--sow.html

Hope he enjoys his few weeks rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

zerks wrote: »
    +1.

Teams playing us could play the ball around their own back line or deep in their own half all day,once they ventured to within 30 yards of our goal they were hounded & we broke against them.Now they seem to be allowed pass the ball at will anywhere on the pitch.Look at the West Brom game from a couple of weeks back,they played around us for fun at times.
    Even now when we do counter,I have little faith of a goal being the result,either Carrick slows it down as he has no midfield runner to pass it to or Valencia runs 20 yards and stops.Look back to that class of '92,they knew how to move from their own box to score at the other end within seconds.

We haven't enough talent in that attacking 4 to mimic '99, the Ronaldo era or the current Dortmund. Which I know is strange considering we have RVP, Rooney Jan etc. but I think we need one more real talent to get back to playing like that along with a centre midfielder.

RVP, Rooney, Nani and someone like Reus(I know there's little chance of getting him) with Januzaj able to step in for any of those would be devastating. Playing Valencia and Young won't do us any good. We apparently bid for Bale and now there's rumours about Reus so it looks like the club are trying to fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im surprised Ando even got one

Playing Valencia and Young won't do us any good. We apparently bid for Bale and now there's rumours about Reus so it looks like the club are trying to fix the problem.

A tradition of attacking with wingers and we've 2 who are afraid to take on their man:(.It's like having a dog & barking yourself.Hopefully January sees this sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ericzeking wrote: »
    I'd actually be completely the opposite, I could handle some bad results or even a bad season if the long term picture looked good, if there was progression in our style and the type of player we were introducing.

As you say though alot of our performances have been very, very similar to the early part of last season in particular but we haven't had that same RVP factor that was pulling games out of the fire.

You will be disappointed so! In January it won't be possible to bring in players of a high calibre. Without a new midfield we won't see a big change in style. We will see small changes that provide a platform to kick on from next season.

Moyes has to get the results out of the current players available this season. That means playing in a way that wins games not finding a fancy style, it might not be pretty this season but it has to be effective. This season was always about slowly introducing changes to the team not a radical overhaul.

The Dortmund style as mentioned is the type of play I think Moyes will go with over time (It won't be identical of course).

I see other posts saying United don't have the players to play like that in attack, I think they actually do. Rooney, Van Persie, Kagawa, Januzaj, Young, Nani even Young (proved it as a forward with Villa), Welbeck would flourish in the counter attack, sudden strike style. All three goals at the weekend came from that type of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Some names are starting to form ahead of the January window

Manchester United are apparently on hot pursuit of a midfielder who is like a more advanced clone of a Gunners great.

William Carvalho , a young player from Portugal who has been likened to a 'technically more evolved' midfielder than former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira.

A £3m-rated 21-year-old of Angolan descent and a physically-imposing frame.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/04/united-stepping-up-chase-for-more-evolved-arsenal-legend/

We have been linked to Pjanic again, it looks like we could be competing with Spurs and the price being thrown around is 25m.

Lets see if there is any substance to it come January. Its a player that wouldn't be cup tied when it come to the UCL and from what I hear he has been tearing it up in Italy.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/35203-united-and-spurs-ready-25m-bosnian-bid.php#.UnfGwxDdCJs

I think Pjanic is one deal that could be truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Enjoy it. It really is a brilliant seat.

I've been there for a few games this season and you can see everything. Make sure to look over to the director's box on your right. You'll be able to see Fergie, David Gill and Ed Woodward.

The view of the pitch is perfect.

This is my third attempt at making an Everton game. Delighted to get a super ticket too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

William Carvalho , a young player from Portugal who has been likened to a 'technically more evolved' midfielder than former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira.

[/url]

3 million? Nearly sure he has a 45 million euro release clause in his contract plus he has also changed agent to our old pal Jorge Mendes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Some names are starting to form ahead of the January window

Manchester United are apparently on hot pursuit of a midfielder who is like a more advanced clone of a Gunners great.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/04/united-stepping-up-chase-for-more-evolved-arsenal-legend/

We have been linked to Pjanic again, it looks like we could be competing with Spurs and the price being thrown around is 25m.

Lets see if there is any substance to it come January. Its a player that wouldn't be cup tied when it come to the UCL and from what I hear he has been tearing it up in Italy.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/35203-united-and-spurs-ready-25m-bosnian-bid.php#.UnfGwxDdCJs

I think Pjanic is one deal that could be truthful.

Are they trying to overdose on midfielders or what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sports direct news, is that still going? When I type sports direct new into Google it wants to give me the opening times for the newry store over a link to the news site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Evans and Raf out for Tuesday's game. Smalling and Rio in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Evans and Raf out for Tuesday's game. Smalling and Rio in?

Cleverley didn't travel either.

Carrick will play if fit, I'd rather he be kept for Sunday though personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well that's strange that he didn't travel cause he posted this....
    tomclevz23 wrote:
    The pitch tomorrow night!
    BYPmMhKIIAAtIbf.jpg

Delighted to see Riether got his just deserts. Stamping on a 18yr old on the ground is scummy behaviour.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well that's strange that he didn't travel cause he posted this....

Moyes said he will play no part apparently. Dunno where i got the not travelling part from!

Evans & Raf didn't travel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Headshot wrote: »
    Delighted to see Riether got his just deserts. Stamping on a 18yr old on the ground is scummy behaviour.

whats happened - 3 game ban i assume?

Hasn't been decided what the punishment is yet. He has until Tuesday to respond.

• Advertisement

No decision yet, just that he has been charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone following the Matuidi situation at PSG? It's an interesting one. According to Le Parisien he agreed a new contract with PSG as early as last season but he wasn't to sign it until July 1st when he would be officially represented by Mino Raiola. Bernes, Matuidi's former agent, is now suing Matuidi for €5M and the case has been in the courts in Paris for a month now and it's been adjourned until November 25th and possibly beyond so that Matuidi can sign a new deal and Bernes can claim some of the proceeds of this new deal. If the case gets adjourned beyond December then he's free to sign a pre-contract with anyone. If he signs with any team bar PSG then Bernes will probably lose his case. Wouldn't it be great if Mr. Woodward can get Matuidi out of his mess in Paris and bring him to Old Trafford. He's a cracking player. He's 26 and would be a massive upgrade at little cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea and City already rumoured to be sniffing around, cant see United coming out on top in a bidding war that comes down to money, nor am I sure he would be the answer

Fellaini will become the teams DM in time I feel, just going to take time to settle, he has had no pre season with the club you have to remember, transfers like the Ozil one are the exception. Most players take time to settle in.

I would rather we concentrated on getting a creative central midfielder

Having Carrick, Fellaini, Matuidi and Jones all for the one position while having Cleverley be the creative force is hardly inspiring, I wont include Ando cause I reckon he is on his bike in the summer and Giggs will surely retire

Carricks contract needs to get sorted too actually

Oh, and I hate Mino, with him involved United wont be anywhere near it

Januzaj showing some skills,pity our winger on the other side can only run in straight lines.

i9FlJwRMR47Ud.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Januzaj showing some skills,pity our winger on the other side can only run in straight lines.

i9FlJwRMR47Ud.gif

The winger on the other side would have buried the shot though. :pac:

The winger on the other side would have stopped,turned & passed it to the fullback behind him. :pac:

fyp.

kryogen wrote: »
    Chelsea and City already rumoured to be sniffing around, cant see United coming out on top in a bidding war that comes down to money, nor am I sure he would be the answer

Fellaini will become the teams DM in time I feel, just going to take time to settle, he has had no pre season with the club you have to remember, transfers like the Ozil one are the exception. Most players take time to settle in.

I would rather we concentrated on getting a creative central midfielder

Having Carrick, Fellaini, Matuidi and Jones all for the one position while having Cleverley be the creative force is hardly inspiring, I wont include Ando cause I reckon he is on his bike in the summer and Giggs will surely retire

Carricks contract needs to get sorted too actually

Oh, and I hate Mino, with him involved United wont be anywhere near it

Matuidi is a creative defensive midfielder. It would be stupid to turn him down for the reasons you have listed. He's a playmaker. Go and watch him.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Matuidi is a creative defensive midfielder. It would be stupid to turn him down for the reasons you have listed. He's a playmaker. Go and watch him.

The implication being that I haven't watched him? :confused:

Deep lying playmaker me arse, I read him referred to that somewhere before alright. Tell you what, you say he is a "creative defensive midfielder". Tell me how many goals has he scored, how many assists does he have? How many chances has he created in your time watching him?

You will be able to find the information out there to back up your claim wont you?

The cherry being that it would be stupid to turn him down based on the reasoning that we are far more in need of an attack minded creative midfielder rather then a defensive one was a peachy part of the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wouldn't mind Matuidi as Carrick is getting older and he's a good player, but wouldn't go all out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fellaini will become the teams DM in time I feel, just going to take time to settle, he has had no pre season with the club you have to remember, transfers like the Ozil one are the exception. Most players take time to settle in

Players do need time to settle in, and for many non-English players coming from foreign leagues it can take quite a few months to adjust to the culture.

But Fellaini didn't come from a foreign league, he has been in England for five years. And not only that, he has been playing under David Moyes for five years! He didn't come from Spain like Ozil, he came from the Premier league like Van Persie, so just how much time to settle does he really need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Players do need time to settle in, and for many non-English players coming from foreign leagues it can take quite a few months to adjust to the culture.

But Fellaini didn't come from a foreign league, he has been in England for five years. And not only that, he has been playing under David Moyes for five years! He didn't come from Spain like Ozil, he came from the Premier league like Van Persie, so just how much time to settle does he really need?

All players are different. Theres no telling how fast a player should take to settle in. Some players just settle quicker in some clubs and others dont. Pot luck I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Suppose the question I would ask you is what do you think of Fellaini's current performances?

More specifically, do you think his performances are representative of his ability, or his he playing poorly?

My personal opinion is that he is playing poorly, not that he is a poor player. I think there are various reasons for this.

1. I think he lacks confidence at the moment, and is playing 'shyly' on the pitch.
    2. I think he isn't sure of his role in the team.
    3. The other players aren't sure of his role in the team.

It may be that it doesn't work out for him/us - these things happen - but I am willing to give him time. I think we need to see a run of games with him and Carrick in midfield and we need to see if they can develop an understanding and partnership together. When to stay/go. We also need to see Fellaini try to impose himself more - i don't know if he has been tactically told to stay back more or whether he lacks the confidence to push on, but he isn't joining the attacking phase of the game as I believe he should be.

Fellaini hasn't done anything for United really, but he will be a United player for the next few years anyway, so hopefully it comes good for him - because if we can get him to integrate comfortably into the side his power, presence and goal scoring ability will be valuable to us.

titan18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Matuidi as Carrick is getting older and he's a good player, but wouldn't go all out for him

I could get on board with that, but with our current options I would much rather keep Carrick for another couple of years. He is a good experienced head in there

Who knows?

He had no pre season with his new team, he has been disrupted by injury and he has a big price tag on his head.

Comparing United to Everton is a bit mad no?

• Advertisement

how will we line up do ye think?

how will we line up do ye think?

depends who is fit, to be honest.

Personally I would tell Rooney to 'do a job' for the team and play him out of position, either in a midfield 3 or on the wing. Think we should go 5 in midfield to start. Fellaini, Carrick (if fit) and either Rooney or Giggs.

Would like to see a backline of Evra, Evans, Vidic and Fabio, but reckon it will be Jones or Smalling instead of Fabio.

Personally:

De Gea
    Fabio----Vidic--Evans
    Evra
    Carrick
    Valencia-Fellaini--Rooney--Januzaj
    RVP

Rooney would be pushed on a little further - possibly moving more up front if the game allows it. Would prefer Nani to Valencia, but expect Valencia. Obviously expect Smalling or Jones at RB too - but it should be Fabio, imo.

No chance of Fabio lining out unfortunately (opinion, no inside info)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Deep lying playmaker me arse, I read him referred to that somewhere before alright. Tell you what, you say he is a "creative defensive midfielder". Tell me how many goals has he scored, how many assists does he have? How many chances has he created in your time watching him?

You will be able to find the information out there to back up your claim wont you?

The cherry being that it would be stupid to turn him down based on the reasoning that we are far more in need of an attack minded creative midfielder rather then a defensive one was a peachy part of the post.

That role isnt always judged by stats ie modric for a few seasons.

Not saying you're wrong just that It's not always that cut and dried.

I got Ed Woodward to ring De Gea's agent there to see if I could get a pair of Chicharito's old boots and he said Fabio won't be starting. Know for a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I got Ed Woodward to ring De Gea's agent there to see if I could get a pair of Chicharito's old boots and he said Fabio won't be starting. Know for a fact.

If your having a go at the lad who said carrick was out, well he was right.

If your having a go at the lad who said carrick was out, well he was right.

I'm not having a go at anyone. I am right, wait and see.

That role isnt always judged by stats ie modric for a few seasons.

Not saying you're wrong just that It's not always that cut and dried.

I am not judging it by stats alone, obviously the stats don't look good for him in terms of goals/assists.

However, if he was creative, he would get flagged up in the stats that track chance creation, the pass before the assist and all that. You wont find too many there either though. He is a DM, this I have said already. The claim that he is creative is what I have an issue with, and since the claim has been made that he is creative and would answer our creative problems I feel that should be backed up in some way.

I'm not having a go at anyone. I am right, wait and see.

Can I have Woodies number plz?

Can I have Woodies number plz?

Welbeck's dad told me not to give it out to anyone when he gave it to me, sorry. :(

would expect Kagawa to play, Jones and Fellani in the middle to accomadate him.

wouldnt mind seeing Hernandez up top on his own either. a draw here tonight sets us up nicely and resting a few players for the big game sunday is key.

taking aside Evans injury, i am sure we can totate the 4 other lads at center back so would expect who ever starts there tonight, doesnt play there sunday, though interesting dilemma at RB could see Smalling play there meaning somebody like Vidic may have to play the 3 games in 8 days in defence which is not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It will be:

De Gea
    Smalling----Vidic--Jones
    Buttner

Valencia---Fellaini--Anderson--Januzaj

Rooney

Hernandez

Ok, so how many creative midfield players with goals and assists are available?

You have provided no logical basis for not trying to get him. It's fairly obvious that you don't watch the guy. You're trying to fit round pegs into square holes and your trying to simplify the whole basis of how a midfield works with the sweeping generalisation that if you have one defensive minded player, which we don't have anyway, then you can't have another. Just because Matuidi is an excellent tackler and great defensive player doesn't mean that he has zero attacking instincts. He moves the ball forward better than anyone in our team.

What we need is someone who will take command of the play. We need a guy who'll put the foot in and stop teams walking all over limited players like Cleverley. Carrick is feeble defensively and is poor under pressure something that Matuidi is excellent at. Turning down Matuidi would be retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

No need to be a cock, 2 entirely different situations and you know it, you're trying to be a prick for the sake of it.

The lad was right, didn't come in and gloat afterwards, was nice enough to offer to PM anyone and see if he could help them out.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Carrick is feeble defensively

No.

Carrick is excellent defensively.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement